Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

bennyfactor posted:

HU-MON. PLANT ROSE BUSH.

INSTALL TASTEFUL WATER FEATURE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

My posting will never improve. I promise

But do you swear upon the honor of your house?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Zaroff posted:

It’s Threshold syndrome - there’s a very dull repeated joke about how Threshold is one of the worst things committed to celluloid, whereas in reality it’s a very average Voyager episode, with a batshit insane final 10 minutes.

And then there's the tiny slice of the VOY fandom for whom it's legitimately their favorite episode.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

They should lean into that. Next time we meet Harry Kim in-universe he's head of a huge hydroponics research station putting out the Federation's dankest, and yet he's somehow still an Ensign

Actually he was promoted to captain years ago, but he never remembers to put on the extra rank pips and no one wants to be the one to point it out to him.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

I'm not sure that it's so much 'Voyager is important' as 'Prodigy has retroactively given Voyager more emotional resonance than it had in its first run'. Which is fine, actually - mediocre art deserves the chance to be rehabbed.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really like the slice-of-life stuff in Dear Doctor, and Phlox's joyful outsider perspective on humanity, that's really good stuff.

Just a shame about everything else in that loving episode.

The best Phlox episode is Doctor's Orders, in which his T'Pol hallucination is so convincing the audience almost doesn't realize what's going on.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

To be fair that's a good Seven episode

And a pretty decent Phlox episode, so...good concept, I guess.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

"This is my husband Miles, and this is his boyfriend Julian, and our girlfriend Nerys."

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

It's because Sisko popped him on the nose like a misbehaving puppy.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

I mean, she still got her swerve on, but it wasn't pon farr.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

I firmly believe Trip Tucker and Jonathan Archer should have switched actors from day one. No other changes necessary.

Maybe then the Berman mandated "sexual tension" between Archer and T'Pol in season 2 would have actually worked instead of being awkward and weird.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

And then he and T'Pol hosed off to Vulcan and had a couple of kids.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

The problem with Archer is that he's a big important historical figure in the Trek universe, and Berman and Braga weren't up to the task of not telling his story as hagiography. I mean, there's an interesting kernel there - the middling nepobaby who has learn how to manage his mission and be an ambassador for these human up-and-comers, but instead they start him out as A Great Man who only gets better. Then when they try to break him down some in season 3, it didn't work because Bakula just couldn't seem to connect with it.

edit:
Literally the only interesting thing about Malcolm is his friendship with Trip, proving yet again that Trip elevates the material.

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 28, 2023

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Railing Kill posted:

But lol at Archer and Phlox's attempts at counseling Trip through his trauma. "Can't sleep because your family died? Have you tried erotic massage with T'pol?"

I mean, it works, but it just seems wrong.

Even better is in season 4 when Trip is "hey, I'm in love with T'Pol and it sucks" and Phlox is "shouldn't have caught feelings my dude" and Trip points out that the massage was Phlox's idea and Phlox is all "surely you can't blame ME for that."

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Guess the 90s sitcom:

Lasted 6 episodes on ABC in the fall of 1993.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Mid-season pickup that got retooled in its second season from being about a newspaper to some trendy new dotcom thing. Tim Russ, Robert Beltran, and Roxann Dawson's characters all mysteriously disappear.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

you need more after that then ask because by then I will probably be slogging through enterprise and ready to claw my own eyes out

If you can make it through Voyager, you can easily survive Enterprise.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Oh drat. He seemed to be the one person who understood the assignment with ENT.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pancreatic cancer is an awful way to go

And yeah, that.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

The DS9 theme is the best Trek theme though, so skipping the intro means you'd miss it. :colbert:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just watched the end of Enterprise Season 3 again, and I love how they waste literally no time after the Xindi/Sphere Builder threat is over to move straight to alien Nazis

ENT season 3 is a wild ride. It starts out rough, gets better, gets rough again, pulls it together for a pretty banger run of eps leading into the season finale, and then ends with some of the purest WTF you can imagine.

pyrotek posted:

*seasons 1-3 only

I'll allow it.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

I'd say split the difference and go for 15? You could safely jettison about a third of the season and not lose anything, but it was a long rear end season.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

HD DAD posted:

But we will absolutely keep the cowboy planet episode.

On the one hand, it's one of the single dumbest episodes in the whole run of ENT, which is saying something. On the other hand, Connor Trinneer looked real good in his cowboy getup, so who can say what the truth is?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't have much of an opinion on Faith of the Heart because I don't think I've ever actually heard it. The Mirror Universe opening for Enterprise was pretty badass, though.

It sounds like it was the lead single of a 90s Christian pop-rock band trying to make their break into mainstream radio.

(it's also an insidious earworm)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

On this week's Star Trek: Enterprise, everything sucks and Jonathan Archer's just committed his fourth war crime before breakfast.

*cue strummy guitar* "I've got faaaaith of the heart..." :D

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

I wonder if there's still Flat Earthers in the 2300s. "NO ANDORIANS ARE JUST PAID ACTORS"

"That one's real name is Jeffrey Combs!!!"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Starfleet Insurance:

In which manner did you lose your ship?
[ ] - Hostile Galactic Power
[ ] - Unknown Alien Encounter
[ ] - Unexpected/Heretofore unknown anaomly
[ ] - Space possession
[ ] - Space God
[ ] - Crossing the galactic barrier
[☑️] - Other, please explain

*fills in longhand*
Weird...rear end...masks.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

I still maintain that William Boimler's faked death to join Section 31 is a wink and nod to the ENT novel's retcon of Trip's death, so I can't help but wonder if we'll see some more of ENT references in season 4.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

bennyfactor posted:

Playing the same trick on Riker TWICE, drat

Riker needs to be more credulous regarding the holomedia he consumes. :colbert:

Beeftweeter posted:

i haven't read that, what do they do?

Spoilering just in case:
In the ENT "Season 5" novel series, Trip's death is a coverup, faked so that he can join Starfleet Intel (but mainly Section 31) to do deep cover on the Romulans, because he's one of the few people who's encountered Romulan tech, and the Romulan War is a-brewin'. So the "pirate attack" is all staged so he can disappear. The holodeck stuff Riker is watching is a part of the tampered historical record, giving an incorrect date for the events in question and taking the pirate story at face value. (The framing device for all this is that Nog, now a Starfleet Engineering bigwig, has discovered some old Constitution class engine schematics that seem to be Trip Tucker's work, but everyone knows he died!!!!)

It's...not the best retcon, because Trip as an undercover agent doesn't make a ton of sense based on four seasons of characterization, but the authors were doing the best they could with they had to work with.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Railing Kill posted:

Good news: it's better than you have heard.

Bad news: you have to listen to the theme song before every single episode because of Space LawTM

As a certified Enterprise Apologist, this is 100 percent accurate.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone in the writer’s room really wanted Trip and T’Pol to suffer because their last scene together in TATV is them saying they’re going to miss each other after the decommissioning. Ten minutes later, Trip’s lungs are turning into liquid and T’Pol spends the rest of the episode completely shell-shocked from the loss.

Rick Berman's crimes are legion.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would be surprised if that was true, because Trip gets probably the most episodes other than maybe T'Pol over Braga's run as showrunner.

Yeah, they were very open in seasons 1 and 2 about wanting Archer/T'Pol/Trip to be the new Kirk/Spock/McCoy, so the idea that they killed Trip off out of animus towards the character doesn't really track. But I do think Berman and Braga were really wedded to the idea of Archer as Super Important Historical Figure and the finale needed STAKES, so somebody had to die and Archer's too important and T'Pol's too hot, so...

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

"More fish for Kunta!"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

One has only to watch any given hour of 1960s television to understand why the women's lib movement happened.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

so on enterprise is archer just being captain (badly) without a dedicated XO/first officer?

role seems to switch between tpol, boarding school boy and trip but they are science/security/engineering

T'Pol was the first officer as well as science officer, which was a direct reference to the roles Spock filled on TOS.

But yeah, ENT's command structure could be...squishy.

quote:

didn't hate "the andorrian incident" this morning but how could I hate some combs action, fairly well put together compared with what I watched so far

Any ENT episode with Jeffery Combs in the guest credits is going to be a good time. (except for the finale, but we don't discuss that)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

The Center Seat, a 55th anniversary retrospective series on all things Trek (at least the Roddenberry/Berman eras) is on the Roku channel right now, so my husband and I gave it a watch. It's not afraid to take a few shots at Gene for being a petty mfer who didn't like other people having better ideas than him, but it's still fairly gentle overall. Which is why the Voyager episode stands out, because even with the kid gloves on, it sounds like it was an absolutely miserable set, especially after the intro of Jeri Ryan. Some of it was external (Paramount execs being lovely, but I repeat myself), but the apparent unwillingness of Berman and Braga to manage the tensions within the cast was just production malpractice.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

I know they make a big deal about there was No Improv on Trek, Ever, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the shooting script for Masks wasn't just pages of "Brent does another funny voice".

Der Kyhe posted:

If Enterprise did what it did in S4 for the entire run it would be remembered as the best Star Trek series. I am serious about this.

Manny Coto was the only person involved in Enterprise who understood the assignment.

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 25, 2023

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Yeah, in terms of Trek weepies, The Visitor wins every time.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

mllaneza posted:

I've never even met my father, and the few remote communications I've had with him left me with a profound dislike. And yet The Visitor gets me every single time.

It's a deeply emotional episode just on its own, but because we've spent four seasons getting to witness just deeply Benjamin and Jake Sisko love each other, in the context of the show, it's even richer. I'm not sure there's any relationship in all of Trek that comes close to the Sisko boys.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

That's basically what they did with Enterprise Season 3, so I guess he eventually got there.

And then it goes on for too long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

jeeves posted:

If it had been made today Enterprise would have been cancelled halfway through season 1.

I mean, Disco's gotten four seasons, so...