Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

bull3964 posted:

Star Trek Strategic Operations Simulator from 1983.
After Atari's Star Wars, this was my other favorite vector game. It's just a flashier version of Spacewar but it's done so well. I only saw the cockpit version once at a bowling alley, but the upright was semi-common.

bull3964 posted:

There was a sign on the machine that said they only ran it on the weekends to maintain stability.
This generation of Sega vector games are notorious for the monitor catching fire: design issues by the monitor supplier to avoid Atari patents. There are hardware hacks to make them safer but it also depends a lot on external power quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Powered Descent posted:

I remember reading somewhere that all the way back in TOS, they originally wanted to rear-project short film loops (readouts, gauges, etc.) onto all those screens around the circumference of the bridge, above each station. The problem was that the union rules of the time hadn't been written with that sort of effect in mind, so they'd have needed to have a union projectionist on set... and not just one projectionist, but one for each screen. There was no chance of finding the budget for that, so all those screens usually just displayed static images of pretty space stuff.

I know I've heard a story somewhere that they did that for some TMP scenes, but the racket of half-a-dozen projectors meant nobody could hear stage directions and the dialog had to be overdubbed later.

Mecha fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 27, 2024

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Sash! posted:

Q even says controlling. Although I'm not sure that's something that would actually work. I'm skeptical of the quality of soldiers you're getting out of a bunch of guys just looking for their next hit.
Maybe some magic hallucinogens that make them see the enemy as monsters, like that one Outer Limits episode?