Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

They absolutely crammed it full of callbacks. It was practically a clip show without the clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I don't think they really got how to do series openers until Voyager. And that one has a lot of help from DS9.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Voyager: The 37's. Good thing the guy they got a prison day pass or whatever also knows about 20th century automobiles.

"I've never landed a starship."

"Me neither. Maybe we should run a simulation or two Take her down."

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 13, 2023

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I am experiencing nIb'poH, the feeling I have read this before.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

While he's dying from warp 10 induced rapid evolution-itis Tom tells the Doctor about how he lost his virginity. Threshold is the episode that keeps on giving.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

Also I'm loling imagining a Vulcan obsessed with Jeff Dunham

Ventriloquism being a uniquely Earth thing and Vulcans considering it an art form that compliments the principles of kolinahr sounds very plausible.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I love The Thaw if only for Michael McKean fear clowning it up like nobody else can.

Well, probably Jim Carrey. And Christopher Lloyd. And several SNL alumni.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Maybe someone left wikipedia open on a pad on the timeship idk

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Computer, show me the issue of Wired from March 1997

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Computer, replicate and ExoComp with a chainsaw and taste for Klingon blood.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It's not the greatest premise but I certainly don't hate it.

I think the hate or love of some episodes is the result of a feedback loop where opinions just get reinforced over and over.

...oh poo poo, maybe we need to decompress main shuttle bay.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Picard was captain of the Stargazer for twenty-two years.

That shoulda been a 3 or 4 year stint and then onto some kind of planetside job and then back to the fleet.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The only thing that makes sense is a 60 - 80% casualty rate amongst junior officers.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

Post Dominion War that makes sense at least but pre?

Every time someone randomly dies onscreen it's usually a junior person.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Gushers? The fruit snack filled with sweet Odo-like goo?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Maybe they realized that Admirals go evil pretty quickly so it's in their best interest to keep people in command positions until they really need 'em.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I wonder if that finally opened up a spot for Harry to get promoted.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I might love all the Jake/Nog episodes. "In the Cards" is so wholesome.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 30, 2023

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Just logic, ma'am.

The trek you are about to see is true. The stars have been changed to protect the aliens.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

When Tom and Tuvok are caught by Sarah Silverman for raiding her lab Tom tells out "Red alert!" to get him to start running.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Unfortunately they had to scrap the storyline where he became RoboKai and brought Captain Jellico to justice.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I'd forgotten that existed. Or to watch it when I'd first heard of it.

I'm instantly loving this.

Quick, someone go bankrupt some TNG actors so they have to do this for more movies and episodes.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The EMH can't respect all life, otherwise they'd never disinfect anything. Maybe Zimmerman "forgot" to include Romulans as the kind of life that shan't be harmed.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The rocks are the plasma. It's special plasma that instantly petrifies in an emergency. It's not perfect but you'd rather get a face full of rocks over plasma, trust me.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Sometimes I'll come across someone with a French surname and they pronounce it like it was English.

Of course, Rene probably took pride in giving it the proper French pronunciation since his mom was a Princess and descended from French royalty. :psyduck:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I love the Brent Spiner variety hour aka Masks

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

"Living Witness" is like a loving catnip premise for me. I had to pause it to do family stuff right as the museum curator announced the discovery of the memory bank.

Also, Janeway with black gloves and that tight haircut is loving amazing costuming.

It's the closest thing Voyager has to a mirror-universe episode.

It's also one of the Star Trek episodes that would work well as an episode of "Outer Limits" or some other anthology series.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm about to watch Farscape for the first time so would like to not have to dodge discussion of it here in an unrelated thread, personally.

I do and don't envy you. I would love to watch Farscape for the first time again but also I really like that I've watched all of Farscape.

It really made me appreciate puppetry done well. I remember at least one of the actors making a point of saying that it's way easier talking to a puppet with a face instead of a tennis ball on a stick.

Edit: Oh, and some plot points in Farscape would have worked well in Voyager.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 18, 2023

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Speaking of that kind of thing, when are they ever gonna take us back to Sigma Iotia II (aka the mobster planet)?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

Wesley and Tasha Yar both suck because I remember that incredibly cringe scene where they have a PSA about drugs.

https://youtu.be/XFN3UHHsarE?si=1qtivA8tk_Y3C7Jx

Wow, all that's missing is Jonathan Frakes giving you a help line phone number.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

So you think they have the computer picking up on this kind of thing via pattern analysis? Like "Crew are using the head (the nautical and therefore likely space term for toilet) 6% more than usual" So you know you should double check everyone for stomach bugs before it gets out of hand.

I know if I was a starship captain the first thing I'd tell the computer is "if the number of people on board changes and isn't correlated to authorized shuttle or transporter use let me and security know right away"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Man I watched a lot of Star Trek on Space. I loved all the extra stuff they threw in like quick interviews with cast and crew and clips of the show about a particular topic.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It has beige vibes.

"Seven years exploring the Delta quadrant! What did you have to do to survive?"

"Well we took two aliens aboard as crew. But they left. But we got a Borg. But not like a delta quadrant alien Borg, she's also human."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Closed-loop communication. Everyone repeats orders back so it's confirmed it's been heard as said.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Quark sure does have some romantic flings over the course of the series.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Well he's not the real Harry.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It definitely has peaks and valleys but like you said, it's standard sci-fi.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Fighting Trousers posted:

Connor Trinneer and Jolene Blalock ultimately end up doing a lot of the heavy lifting on making ENT decent.

They do have some great chemistry.

John Billingsley as Phlox and Jeffrey Combs as Shran are also highlights for me.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Voyager has seven Emmys, The Wire only has two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Maybe check their ears for surgical alterations, the back of their neck for a spike, and make sure they have blood.