Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
https://youtu.be/9WYx9bb5pvo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Honestly all it would take is a nearly perfect image/actor in scene that increases in chromatic aberration as the camera moves around to remind you that it's not a physical object.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

No Dignity posted:

Please, continue with the updates.

Also, the only way you're going to see all the ferengi content? A complete watch through

This is the correct answer. There's so much excellent ferengi content sprinkled throughout DS9. Just watching the Ferengi specific episodes will have you missing the root beer speech, or Quark teaching a Vulcan about logic.

Or there's "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River" which finally demonstrates how Ferengi culture can function as a cooperative society.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 12, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Is it weird for me to say that I'd like to see SNW have Matt Decker show up, just to do a character study on him when he's not mad with grief?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TNG did pretty good when it dabbled in horror.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

Geordi investigating the mysterious humanoid shadow in the holodeck

Beverly hallucinating a room full of corpses sitting up

Great stuff!

The mind control parasites, crewmate in the floor, the random Romulan that wasn't stuck in time, there are other moments that don't immediately spring to mind.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The opening visuals of DS9 would be more majestic if they didn't focus on an ugly fascist eyesore!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Timby posted:

In TOS' The Enterprise Incident, Spock says that Starfleet Intelligence reports that the Klingons and Romulans have been sharing technology (which is the on-screen explanation for why the Romulans are using Klingon D-7s; in reality, Wah Chang smashed the original Romulan Bird of Prey model after he got ratted out to the propmakers' union).

As originally written, the enemies in Star Trek III were Romulans. Then they became Klingon renegades who had stolen a Romulan ship. This is when the Bird of Prey was designed by ILM. Then the script was revised again and the ship just became part of the Klingon fleet (despite the Klingons never having used avian imagery in the past).

Wanting to steal a planet killing weapon is way more in line with how the Romulans operate. I guess they wanted something more visually distinct than 'vulcans, but not'.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BonHair posted:

Counterpoint: Picard and Discovery and Nemesis

Into Darkness actually made me hate trek for a while.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fighting Trousers posted:

*fills in longhand*
Weird...rear end...masks.

This is how claims get denied. This is obviously a form of space possession. Please resubmit your paperwork in 10 business days.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fornax Disaster posted:

If Cardassians appear they should be a benevolent friendly society, with just a hint of foreshadowing of their future slide into authoritarianism.

Yeah, I'd love to see the society of poets and authors that were alluded to in DS9, before they went fash.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lord Hydronium posted:

Why is 24th century bed and pillow technology so bad? Every time we see characters sleeping it looks like the most uncomfortable thing.

You don't need good pillows and mattresses when you can turn down the gravity. Zero-G sleeping is supposed to be crazy comfy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Vic isn't Tony Bennett, but I can only think of Bennett whenever Vic is on screen.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Most people subject to wars would like them to end quickly.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lister posted:

A new digital version of the TNG pinball machine is going on sale in two weeks. It was previously available for a different pinball game, but the license got pulled and given to another game company. This is the first time it will be for sale in about 5 years.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2500340/Pinball_FX__Williams_Pinball_Star_Trek_The_Next_Generation/

I was really, really good at that back in the day.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

The man's 86, let him make jokes about dying

what if he's not joking? :ohdear:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I hate to break this to you, my friend. But we're all dying.

And not a moment too soon.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

I hope you're not implying that the Nazis originated blood libel, because that skips over like a millennium of its history

Yeah, to get to the Nazi doctrine you have to trace it through Henry Ford and then Imperial Russia.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

Ah, the words of someone who hasn't watched Babylon 5.

Sleeping in Light always felt like it was in too much of a hurry to wrap up as many plot lines as possible. All Good Things sends its series off better, imo.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

We've only ever definitively had just one Doctor twice on a Star Trak. Phlox on the NX-01 because it was a small ship, and The Doctor on Voyager because everyone else was dead.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CPColin posted:

Horta act like the box of baking soda in your fridge

The Vorta have a terrible odor, not inherently but because they can't smell when they are funky. They can, however, hear when others start to complain.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MuddyFunster posted:

Identity Crisis, come the gently caress on, what was that? Already wasn't on board for another round of "Geordie sits in ten forward and boisterously laughs like a weirdo in the proximity of women", this really is far too soon after Galaxy's Child. But then, the episode itself is just the dumbest of dumb schlock. He yet again attempts to solve a mystery by heading off into the holodeck and is farting about in there for far too goddamn long, before turning into a ludicrous UV light monster that certainly wasn't intended to hold up to HD scrutiny. Boy oh boy, what a pile of poo poo.

Yet more awkward NERDY BOY TIME in The Nth Degree, only, dare I say it, just a bit more tolerable and a shade less creepy, since it's Barclay. And Geordie spends a lot of time looking "concerned" for him, but I'm reading it as intense jealousy that he couldn't be the smartest nerd on the block. A delightful goofy finale and a small coda about peaking in life and coming back down that I found quite relatable. Oh and Picard finally agrees with Worf, yes we should use the phasers. It does nothing! Oh well!

Identity crisis isn't a great episode, but it's also an episode I point out that when TNG dips into Horror, it often does it quite well.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

thotsky posted:

If you're a warrior you're a warrior until death. Retirement, or dying of old age, is portrayed as the worst possible fate, and a grave dishonor, multiple times across the various shows.

The lawyer, cook and scientist lady are looked down upon in Klingon society, even if some of them have managed to find some honor in what they do.

Eh, there seem to be several different paths Klingon warriors can take. There are those who, when confronted with peace, lose their poo poo and turn allies into enemies. There's those who aren't so bloodthirsty but still lose themselves and become a shell of the people they once were. Then there are those who, while no longer having physical foes to conquer, find a metaphorical foe to vanquish, and while some of the more narrow minded klingons might sneer at them, those with any amount of introspection understand that such undertakings are still worthy endeavors.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MuddyFunster posted:

The Crystaline Entity returns! Silicon Avatar doesn't begin all that well. Oh, the attack by the entity is quite tense and scary, but then when the story introduces ENTITY HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE Doctor Marr and her unreasonably lovely attitude towards Data, it began losing me a teensy bit. She is incredibly nasty. And then, some way in, it becomes painfully clear that Marr is wounded, obsessive, more than a little unbalanced and probably shouldn't be there. Naturally, Troi does not pick up on this. Still, it's sad, real sad. The final scene is so perfectly low key too. No grandstanding or clumsy moralising, just a muted, sober conversation with Data, one final shot of her looking quietly crestfallen, cut to the Enterprise drifting away. Such a kick in the nuts. Great guest star turn from Ellen Geer.

Disaster is an on the nose title, but the episode delivers nicely; it's a disaster movie on the ship. Lots of struggling through tunnels and up lift shafts and everybody going "OH gently caress, THE MATTER/ANTI-MATTER PLASMA THING IS DOING THE THING, THAT'S BAD, WE'VE GOT TO FIX IT" and through the magical power of teamwork and a little bickering, they do so. Picard gets saddled with a load of kids! Worf gets saddled with a (very clean, very alert) baby! Troi gets saddled with a taste of command! It's a bit corny, but I was smiling the whole time. And hey, disaster movies? They're corny. Job done.

If there's one totally dumb, silly, miniscule little nitpick on season 5 so far, I'm already not liking that new Superman-esque title card, it doesn't look right to my eye with the Enterprise warping away, it's too busy. See, I told you it was a dumb nitpick.

No one liked that title card, and you only have to put up with it for that season.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

zoux posted:

That captain five seconds after installing Bee Protocol Alpha

https://twitter.com/StuartJRitchie/status/1702305867993919664

Ah that's how universal translators work.

Except they beam the translation directly into your head.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Oh right, thank you. I had both in my history and guessed wrong.

Quark and Morn were in Lower Decks too!

As was Q.

What this tells me is that we need a Gul Evek cameo in LD.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 30, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crusher is command qualified. I don't know exactly what that means in the context of Trek, really, but if it's anything like the US Navy that should mean she has at least a basic understanding of every critical system on the ship, right? It's not like TNG didn't demonstrate that she was competent as a ship's commander.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

I appreciate how in Picard S3 when all the other TNG main characters are embroiled in drama about their children that Alexander doesn't get so much as a single mention by anyone.

Alexander would have been much too old for Borg cum to work on him.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Boxturret posted:

Aw man that brings me back to the time when someone argued that you had to be deranged to like any of the characters in Team Fortress 2 because they were all a bunch of insane murderers :allears:

Bullshit. A few of the mercenaries are quite sane.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Can we do "Is Sisko a war criminal" next?

Just a regular criminal. He wasn't at war with either the Romulans or the Maquis.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I don't know if its the best low-stakes B-plot, but the one that always comes to mind for me is Nog "navigating the Great Material Continuum" for parts O'Brien needs. :allears:

I think that's also the episode with two Weyouns. :v:

It's also thematically very important for the most recent lower decks episode!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MuddyFunster posted:

Had no real clue Lwaxana would be one of the big redemption arcs of the show. Half A Life was a real kick in the pants in terms of how I looked at her. When she comes back after that with the goofy episode with Alexander, I felt a lot more receptive to her. I'd probably feel the same about the earlier episodes too if I saw them again, possibly?

You have discovered that Lwaxana is good, actually.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

"Whoops! Oh, Gramble, his throat slit by his mistress."

There's also a subtle sweet running bit in the background between Kayshon and Ransom where we see Ransom start to understand Kayshon's Tamarian phrases without needing to translate and eventually uses some himself.

"Ensign Boimler! Shaka, when the walls fell!"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Haha yeah I wonder what it would smell like haha

Like apples and wood?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

One of the things I loved about tWOK was how when those ships shot each other they were positively wrecking house. Even though it's all bullshit and the rules are all made up, the fact that a shot was doing visible damage that carried over from scene to scene helped sell the reality of the situation. Pirouetting across the screen and putting on a light show had all the impact from Galaxy Quest where Tim the toolman said "fire the green lasers, fire the blue lasers" in the most disinterested tone he could manage.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Should of gone with a 900AD space navy.

:black101:

Klingons are a thing, you know.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how the gently caress did they do that, were they just carpet-bombing random planets?!

The dominion invaded and captured Betazed. It was the site of multiple Federation counter attacks.

Also, an antimatter powered starship can sterilize a planet all by itself. 7 billion is low compared to stripping the biosphere of a planet, which is something the captain of any starship can accomplish on zero notice.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

The Conniiie

Bigger Constitution

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

The very rare example of the not-hosed-up child actor

I was about to chime in but then I realized I was thinking of Winona Ryder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

Elijah Woods turned out to be a (seemingly) really chill and balanced dude too

I like how both Woods and Radcliffe both seem to have independently decided to only accept roles in weird moves, and in the best possible way.