Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

Scrumworth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Without these methods how can the business keep engineers on task? They are liable to make a mess of things like the heron messed up the pots and pans in that hilarious tweet from 2010.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

i tell people to make a gDoc dream journal and just ping me with poo poo they want beyond this on slack

i guess we have a project manager now though which is good because having to follow up on tickets is loving fatiguing

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

itt we discover smugworth is an agile scrum master

No but I have worked with several. Most are dead weight ticket janitors

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Agile’s the one where you’re supposed to dodge all the poo poo they throw at you, and waterfall is the one where you stand there and suck it all down, right?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dick Fontaine posted:

Agile’s the one where you’re supposed to dodge all the poo poo they throw at you, and waterfall is the one where you stand there and suck it all down, right?

Pretty much

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol epic. wonder if maybe i'm in the wrong line of work and i should search for a scrum coach master job or w/e and jerk off all day instead of work

I’ve checked into it & while not the worst idea pay wise they seem hyper micromanaged as many layers of leadership are obsessed with change management so they are stuck in sometimes eight hours of meetings a day so not much space to run an EVE guild or whatever. It would also feel like trying to get annoyed employees excited for a religion you yourself don’t believe in.

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Without these methods how can the business keep engineers on task? They are liable to make a mess of things like the heron messed up the pots and pans in that hilarious tweet from 2010.

Lol most of the agile coaching is focused on non-engineers, they’re trying to apply it to HR & Payroll. Oddly the consultants involved are ok with that.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Wondering how the engineers can possibly stay on task and not verge into wasting the businesses money on a big way without scrums to find where the blockers are

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Just keep cranking code and ignoring as much agile process as possible

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Smugworth posted:

Sounds like a recipe for disaster OP

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Smugworth posted:

This works if you’re a genius and critical for the business. If you’re not this is a great way to end up the cranky rear end in a top hat who’s constantly passed over for promotions.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kronix posted:

This works if you’re a genius and critical for the business. If you’re not this is a great way to end up the cranky rear end in a top hat who’s constantly passed over for promotions.

Heh :banjo:

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
My previous company discarded waterfall for agile but then started experimenting with weird things. I've told this story before but I think it's worth repeating that they tried categorizing every project as a fruit for a while. We had to have the entire tech branch of the company sit on a long conference call to try to explain to all of us how the product management team came up with this brilliant idea. Every project was to be categorized as a fruit based off of how difficult it is to eat that fruit. A "grape" project would be easy while a "coconut" project was going to take some time and more effort. We all had to sit and look at a chart in a Powerpoint presentation listing the succession of fruit difficulty and how to apply the correct fruit rating to projects. "I dunno, I only have time this week for an apple. Can anyone else take this pomegranate task so I can get to my pear project next?" .........that idea didn't fly for very long there.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Catastrophe posted:

My previous company discarded waterfall for agile but then started experimenting with weird things. I've told this story before but I think it's worth repeating that they tried categorizing every project as a fruit for a while. We had to have the entire tech branch of the company sit on a long conference call to try to explain to all of us how the product management team came up with this brilliant idea. Every project was to be categorized as a fruit based off of how difficult it is to eat that fruit. A "grape" project would be easy while a "coconut" project was going to take some time and more effort. We all had to sit and look at a chart in a Powerpoint presentation listing the succession of fruit difficulty and how to apply the correct fruit rating to projects. "I dunno, I only have time this week for an apple. Can anyone else take this pomegranate task so I can get to my pear project next?" .........that idea didn't fly for very long there.

This seems like a reasonable way to streamline tasks OP.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I'm worried that some engineers in here are going off task and not focusing on the business end of the equation. Theory is great but there are deliverables to be considered...

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

We’re calling this one a “Jamaican tangelo” because it looks like it might get ugli

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
im the guy who is always talking about his grapes as if theyre coconunts and everybody knows but im in good with the scrum master ;)

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

MuadDib Atreides posted:

I'm worried that some engineers in here are going off task and not focusing on the business end of the equation.
The biggest advantage of Agile is it allows the useless or destructive middle manager to put their fingers on the scale and provide value that they'd otherwise not have.

One of their most powerful tools is the ability to Blame with a capital B. Didn't hit the story point target (because it's not effort; they're most certainly time estimates bordering on contracts)? You should have spoken up! You did to say it was poorly scoped? That was on you to reticket and rescope. You did that? How much time did you spend doing that instead of completing the task?

Naturally they don't accept any of the downsides themselves; this is a developer process after all!

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
*at the morning meeting* ya... I had a look at this little "grape" over the weekend (was working on the weekend btw ;)) what a ratsnest.... I'm thinking this little number might need an upgrade....Possible coconut on deck
*scrum master nods and changes the grape icon to a coconut on monday.com the premiere product management tool*
*all the other engineers who make less than me shoot each other an angry look as I have done it yet again, the trill engineer who is in with the scrum master and manager...Thinking to move more into a product management/engineering role for a substantial pay bump ;) been hanging around the bosses office a grip lately just shooting the mess.... ;)

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Cheesus posted:

The biggest advantage of Agile is it allows the useless or destructive middle manager to put their fingers on the scale and provide value that they'd otherwise not have.

One of their most powerful tools is the ability to Blame with a capital B. Didn't hit the story point target (because it's not effort; they're most certainly time estimates bordering on contracts)? You should have spoken up! You did to say it was poorly scoped? That was on you to reticket and rescope. You did that? How much time did you spend doing that instead of completing the task?

Naturally they don't accept any of the downsides themselves; this is a developer process after all!

*swinigng by the manager office to talk about the weekends little league game (Junior knocked it out of the park I trust?)? Yup I'm not sure why the other engineers can't seem to log their hours and estimates properly... I guess that's why there's engineers and managers :) Haha well.... I should get back to my desk. Got to bust open this coconut!

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Yup

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Classical.... tale as old as time

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

my company uses the Argyle method

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Smugworth posted:

You should get certified in Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)

yup

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

MuadDib Atreides posted:

*swinigng by the manager office to talk about the weekends little league game (Junior knocked it out of the park I trust?)? Yup I'm not sure why the other engineers can't seem to log their hours and estimates properly... I guess that's why there's engineers and managers :) Haha well.... I should get back to my desk. Got to bust open this coconut!
Pure evil.

And accurate.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
My employer is a subsidiary of some ginormous megacorp you've heard of.

I'm a prototyping hardware engineer with a very narrow specialty that I will not divulge, but it pays well to be one of the very few who can do what I do.

I work from home, halfway around the planet from the office.

I sync with my boss over skype 3 or 4 times a week. I don't attend meetings, I barely get or send any email.

I learned my trade from a former colleague who was nearing retirement and convinced me to become a sort of journeyman or understudy.

Now I have my own lab and makerspace downstairs. My commute is 20 steps. I don't have an alarm clock. I own and manage my equipment and I have no corporate monitoring software tracking my activities. I don't check in or check out.

All they ask of me is that I deliver what I promise. I figure out the rest.

Once a year we have a performance review. I haven't had a complaint.

I should be happy. I know this won't last. There will be some kind of reset, the trap will spring shut and one day I find myself facing the prospect of having to check in to some ghastly open office plan with a company issued HP or Dell laptop and wearing a badge with a lanyard around my neck as a noose. I hope I have enough saved up by then to just walk.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

So, to people who've worked under these systems, do they actually work when implemented correctly? It could be my oppositional defiance coming through but it seems like a nightmare that wouldn't work but at the same time, leading a bunch of people on a big project needs some structure.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

frumpykvetchbot posted:

My employer is a subsidiary of some ginormous megacorp you've heard of.

I'm a prototyping hardware engineer with a very narrow specialty that I will not divulge, but it pays well to be one of the very few who can do what I do.

I work from home, halfway around the planet from the office.

I sync with my boss over skype 3 or 4 times a week. I don't attend meetings, I barely get or send any email.

I learned my trade from a former colleague who was nearing retirement and convinced me to become a sort of journeyman or understudy.

Now I have my own lab and makerspace downstairs. My commute is 20 steps. I don't have an alarm clock. I own and manage my equipment and I have no corporate monitoring software tracking my activities. I don't check in or check out.

All they ask of me is that I deliver what I promise. I figure out the rest.

Once a year we have a performance review. I haven't had a complaint.

I should be happy. I know this won't last. There will be some kind of reset, the trap will spring shut and one day I find myself facing the prospect of having to check in to some ghastly open office plan with a company issued HP or Dell laptop and wearing a badge with a lanyard around my neck as a noose. I hope I have enough saved up by then to just walk.

Sounds that you're not integrated with the team OP? Possibly not in line with the vision?

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

open a vein much op?

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Peggy Edson posted:

open a vein much op?

looks to be a rich one...

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Tarkus posted:

So, to people who've worked under these systems, do they actually work when implemented correctly? It could be my oppositional defiance coming through but it seems like a nightmare that wouldn't work but at the same time, leading a bunch of people on a big project needs some structure.

Theyre essential OP

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Tarkus posted:

So, to people who've worked under these systems, do they actually work when implemented correctly?
I've worked in Agile's precursor "extreme programming" in an environment where our manager themself has been a very good developer. They made sure that before we began there was buy in from everyone and spent some amount of time guiding us toward the end goal. They also critically measured and assessed measurable aspects like what we missed on our previous estimation to improve, velocity, etc. It actually worked well and I came out of it with a positive impression.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tarkus posted:

No, it's mostly a cult and make work job program. Just take the valuables parts:

- Iterative development with regular deliverables
- self-organizing teams
- regular retrospectives and re-evaluation of the process and team dynamics

Skip the rest which is all worthless cult and self-help guru poo poo

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I rolled a three on agility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

op is going off. looks like he got placeholder3d tho