Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

I haven't really played the original system shock game much but this has been really fun to play. Broadcasting this since i wanted to play this and had no idea it was coming out today and i bet there were some imps that were waiting on this to come out too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i also forgot it was coming out today, looks dope. ty for the heads-up

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
All I've seen or heard about it is from the Digital Foundry nerd but it looks pretty sick.

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1663217885060243457

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1663501808453517313

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Interesting! I noticed it was out this morning - although I hadn't heard that they were even doing it, until today. How does it hold up, gameplay-wise? I never actually played the original, I must confess :shobon:

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

after playing four(ish) hours and having spent some time with the demo when it came out it feels very fun. having a blast vaporizing used candy wrappers into resources and recycling everything in sight to gain more corpocoins. it definitely doesn't hold your hand and i have spent multiples of minutes working on somewhat simple puzzles, so it retains that of the original. the ui ja user experience however feels slick and modern which were a bit janky back in the day.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ill play this in like a years time once i find the time around sf6 lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

What is Spambot’s opinion on it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I genuinely thought this was never going to come out. I haven't played the original but love 2 (or the first 2/3 of it at least) so I'll be picking this up soon

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cool. Has anyone beaten the original and can compare it lol? DF guy aside I mean.

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i think arfjason beat it recently? i havent played the original since the 90s, primary school aged me found it clunky but epic

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021
I really like how the first level is just this huge rat maze with encounters or puzzles to figure out in each area. Shodan is ftw lol. She started going on and on about how an elevator belonged to her, and even though I was pretty sure I could use it I didn't because I assumed she'd kill me.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
lots of solid game releases this week and more to come. godly time to game

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Nutmeg posted:

lots of solid game releases this week and more to come. godly time to game

2023 is the best year of gaming in a while I think

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Uncle Frank posted:

Shodan is ftw lol.

this. hearing a crisp and clean, much louder shodan interrupting your audio log owns.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

game really opens up after two first levels, at a small loss at where to go. all the possibilities seem pretty tantalising but i am getting my rear end kicked at some places more than others.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
i like this game a lot. cyberspace being descent was a nice idea, i never got to play much of the OG. strong recommend if you like weirdo exploration heavy fps and survival horror resource management. the combat is so much cleaner and each enemy has this really distinct tactical approach you can preserve resources with, or identifiable weaknesses you can exploit.

the opening plot beat is so on the nose, hey man our corporate profits are gonna go down cuz our ai has an ethical chip please hack it.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Pladdicus posted:

i like this game a lot. cyberspace being descent was a nice idea, i never got to play much of the OG. strong recommend if you like weirdo exploration heavy fps and survival horror resource management. the combat is so much cleaner and each enemy has this really distinct tactical approach you can preserve resources with, or identifiable weaknesses you can exploit.

the opening plot beat is so on the nose, hey man our corporate profits are gonna go down cuz our ai has an ethical chip please hack it.

should really replay descent one of these days. alway enjoyed the little guys you rescued from the space dungeon

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i have a usb flightstick specifically for descent because its just feels epic to play it with one

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

trying to jack off posted:

i have a usb flightstick specifically for descent because its just feels epic to play it with one
Same but for Freespace 2 and TIE Fighter

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

drat, shoyld replay freespace 2 sometime. been a while..

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

EmmyOk posted:

Cool. Has anyone beaten the original and can compare it lol? DF guy aside I mean.

I beat the original back when, it's p identical with some tweaks like not having a dart gun 0/10 slap in the face

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

meeting with the cortex reaver was too tense as it can catch up to you in a second

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

i think arfjason beat it recently? i havent played the original since the 90s, primary school aged me found it clunky but epic

YES I DID AND IT KICIKED rear end

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i never doubted nightdive releasing this and i remained faithful to the end, even thinking it was gonna rule. i just thought this kind of game would flop miserably in the modern day, thankfully it seems that people enjoy it a bunch.

the og is surprisingly forward thinking with the way the spaceship is mostly open from the beginning and you get specific upgrades to let you progress, like a certain type of game genre whose name escapes me, something about metroid and castlevania. and not to mention it has audiologs like fifty decades before those were mainstream.
it also has a surprising sense of place despite being abstract nonsense shapes for the rooms, because they pretend to be spaces the inhabitants used for the spaceship to function.

also the gameplay is clunky as hell but that somehow makes it more compelling lol idk, i played it in 2020 (mouselook mode on im not that much of a freak) and it held up super well. maybe not so much the leaning mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

yeah i've been thoroughly enjoying rooms that don't contain any loot and are there just to create a sense of space. the inventory is quite limited and i have had to make some hard choices regarding which weapons to keep. now i am frantically looking for the room i dropped the smg in as every other ammo is gone. love it