Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

trying to jack off posted:

i think arfjason beat it recently? i havent played the original since the 90s, primary school aged me found it clunky but epic

YES I DID AND IT KICIKED rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
i never doubted nightdive releasing this and i remained faithful to the end, even thinking it was gonna rule. i just thought this kind of game would flop miserably in the modern day, thankfully it seems that people enjoy it a bunch.

the og is surprisingly forward thinking with the way the spaceship is mostly open from the beginning and you get specific upgrades to let you progress, like a certain type of game genre whose name escapes me, something about metroid and castlevania. and not to mention it has audiologs like fifty decades before those were mainstream.
it also has a surprising sense of place despite being abstract nonsense shapes for the rooms, because they pretend to be spaces the inhabitants used for the spaceship to function.

also the gameplay is clunky as hell but that somehow makes it more compelling lol idk, i played it in 2020 (mouselook mode on im not that much of a freak) and it held up super well. maybe not so much the leaning mechanics