Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They really made firebats crap. I've seen mods that change just a tiny tiny thing and suddenly they're useful. At least their mission is more fun than the marauder one, in my opinion.

FoolyCharged posted:

Also it's funny how I also noticed the filled out computer screen and had a completely different reaction. That jerk swan is holding out on us! He doesn't need to get plans, he's just locked our login out of the good stuff!
I just noticed that as well. Maybe he only has all the unlocks on his account. :v:

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't know if I missed it or if it's explained later or if it's just a mystery, but why is Tychus forced to wear power armour all the time? It leads to awkward questions like "why are you wearing power armour all the time?" and doesn't seem to have any upsides for Mengsk
It actually does get explained later!

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Matt saying that "apparently" Kerrigan was different before the Zerg took her is a weird line. Even in the actual canon behind him (and not him being an obvious stand-in for the magistrate) he was in the Sons of Korhal before Raynor was, surely he must have at least known about Mengsk's most elite operative.
Surely he was also along and present during Raynor's first visit to Char.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mercenaries are really good. The units are significantly more powerful than the regular ones. If you want a more compelling argument the youtuber/twitch streamer GiantGrantGames uses them all the time and he enjoys playing the Nightmare Difficulty mod because he finds regular brutal too easy at times. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Another huge issue with firebats is that they have a delay between reaching an enemy and actually firing which makes them hardly able to damage anything. I don't remember if it's 0.5 seconds which doesn't sound much but it is for every enemy so they mostly just walk up and stare at foes.

Speaking of fitting a huge apc in a tiny ship, there is a real scale mod which changes the size, and relative strength, of everything to be more accurate. When the Hyperion shows up to rescue you a couple of missions past it doesn't even fit on the map. Do not send marines at ultralisks. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doing this mission with siege tanks is pretty easy. :v:

Also you can float a barracks up on the ledge just south of the west base entrance, in case you want to put a few marines there who can't be hit by anything. It might not be worth it but at least the option is there.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The planetary fortress is very powerful with tons of health and lots of damage. I've watched youtubers basically go that the choice is so slanted towards the PF over the perdition turret that it's not even a choice.

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 9, 2023

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Goliaths, like so many other units, just feel so wimpy in SC2 since they lack their much better SC1 sounds.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Reapers being badass or useful? We have dismissed that claim.

BisbyWorl posted:

Guess how many times any of those things are relevant in a campaign setting. You don't need to scout, since enemy bases are fixed, and they'll always have defenders that never leave on attack waves so trying to hop in for a hit and run will just get your Reapers killed.
Also the AI in the campaign blatantly cheats and uses scripts for attacks and only seem to occasionally mine minerals as decoration.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Supposedly it is her hobby. Because of course it is.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SoundwaveAU posted:

Goliaths btw, are loving dog poo poo. Even if you get both their upgrades in the armory, that only makes them okay in specific circumstances. They're really, REALLY bad in this game. No reason to make them.
I've tried using them many times but they just keep dying and never seem to accomplish much.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Weren't they cheaper in SC1? Their sounds are so weak and pathetic compared to the previous game, so they aren't satisfying to use at all.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

While it is fitting for the fascist UED to have a company named after sparta, I still don't want to hire them.

Oh man diamondbacks from that upcoming mission. Another unit that's way too expensive for what it does. It costs an entire extra supply more than it should for no reason.

Pieces of Peace posted:

WoL's very thin amount of menace applied to Tosh made the eventual requirement to choose between him and Nova have a very unpleasant "sinister criminal black man versus attractive 'noble' white woman" element, especially farcical when they're both former dominion assassins turned against it.
Yikes. Shamefully I completely missed that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They really overuse the whole blink thing. It was neat the first few times but even in this very first mission when it is introduced it gets a bit much, but it just drags on and on and on throughout the games. At least in Warcraft 3 it was interesting and mostly used to find secrets and neat things instead.

BisbyWorl posted:

Plus on repeated playthroughs they're just... boring.
So very boring. Especially the first and last ones. And the second is just awful on the ears at higher difficulties. Surrender to this pear!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

big ol' spoilers for all SC2 campaigns: that is what happens
You forgot the extremely important golden glowing buttocks!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also hurting trains is unforgivable! :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"I've spent my life working and preparing for this exact moment to give you all the information you need to"-<skip><skip><skip>"God doesn't this npc ever shut up?"<skip><skip>"Finally! Well, let's go follow that quest marker!"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The images do not come anywhere near to showing how annoying and tiresome Maar is with his endless and constant taunting.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The predator is fermenting garbage. The only things not crushing it are groups of lightly armed and unarmored targets. It seems more like the Dominion developed it as "crowd control" to mow down riots and protests rather than something intended for a battlefield.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

JohnKilltrane posted:

Hercules is 95% useless but that's still an improvement. It's helpful on certain maps like Moebius Factor and Supernova and can be good for players who like to use Siege Tanks offensively. It'd be better if it didn't have such high tech requirements and didn't need, what, like six supply? But you can still get some mileage out of it.
You can use it on the zombie apocalypse mission to put siege tanks in locations where the infested can't get to them. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't help but wonder how those protoss buildings were still fully functioning despite being right next to the freaking overmind. One of the buildings is almost in danger of falling over on top of the rotting corpse (the whole area must smell wonderful). Also the random colossus suddenly hiding in that very very deep nearby lake.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I kinda like the prophecy from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

quote:

Ten century shall the fortress stand.
Walls of spirit wrapped in walls of fire.
And horned lords shall bow their heads,
to one yet born, of the darkest sire.

One century of blood and strife.
The moon shall darken and none know why.
The resting place at last is found,
of the Seventh, who soared so high.
It's narrated as part of the opening and is threatening while remaining vague and full of stuff you don't know. While it's not difficult to guess the first half the second is more confusing. For example who the Seventh is and why their grave is so important. Now I want to go replay that game. Kick some orcs off cliffs.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Prison, bust a move and help your brother out.

Felinoid posted:

I've been voting train for the past three and I see no reason to stop now.
Sadly these are British trains. You're going to have to wait a long time. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 20, 2023

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Some of the missions are fun but I wouldn't agree that it's worth 40 bucks. Maybe 20 for all four campaigns would be more reasonable, especially how bad and painful the writing gets :v: . And of course there is the tiny little asterisk of ethical concerns.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I found the maps a lot more fun and interesting in WoL. The HotS and LotV ones mostly only felt like set pieces instead of "real" locations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

Plot twist: in the next Starcraft game, all Tosh's spectres will be trying to hasten the return of the Reapers because they spent time with the Psi-Indoctrinator. :v:
We already have the Reapers since the first mission we did for Tosh. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The devs actively made the goliath worse. Not sure about the wraith but the vulture felt a lot slower and less agile than how it was in SC1.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Given the totality of the circumstances around SC2’s finale, I wouldn’t be surprised if a hypothetical SC3 is a prequel, a distant enough sequel that it’s effectively a new story, or even a straight up reboot of the setting.
A prequel where you play as the confederates. Double down on the southern-ness, more confederate symbols and imagery everywhere, the token woman in a terrible outfit turns out to be the mother of both Nova and Kerrigan, all units are somehow more complicated and advanced than anything that showed up in the other games, spend real money to unlock basic gameplay features, battle royale multiplayer, fight against new and exciting zerg breeds and protoss units, do battle on the desert world of Korhal against a group of freedom fighters winkwink, uncover a xel'naga conspiracy, unbelievable plot twists and more!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm fairly certain that nobody is monitoring Tychus 24/7. It makes no sense if they did. But then again, everyone seems very stupid and with gaping plot holes through their heads so who knows? :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can never be bothered to micro the mind control thing so always pick the aura instead. You have to babysit them constantly to grab something and if there's too much stuff going on at different places they end up wasted.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe it's Mobious that handles everything Tychus, including monitoring (if they even bother), and they probably don't give the tiniest poo poo about what he does unless it were to go against THEIR plans.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe they're creating hybrids while pretending it's research to fight them? But it's likely blizzard never put much thought into it themselves.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Didn't the notes they found in the science facility say it was getting blown up by Mensk?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well it's not like they can get more out of contact. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

BlazetheInferno posted:

This is just another one of those situations where I'd love to take a character from the game, and sit them down in front of the game itself just to see how they'd react to it (and how they'd play).

In this case, have a certain Phase- Smith from Legacy of the Void play through Wings of Liberty, and make sure he reads all of Stetmann's notes and all the technology descriptions and such, just to see how he'd react to it all.
He'd need to snort a big load of solarite to deal with that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They could have just connected the command center to the vespene with a hose.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I never got that Narud = Duran when I first played. Either I wasn't really paying attention or I assumed that'd be way too clever for their level of writing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Given SC2 timescale the overmind was probably created shortly after Jimmy was born.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A XCOM shooter? Do your guns have stormtrooper accuracy?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm sure the person who wrote that whenever a banshee is shot down a super special Dominion task force retrieves or blows up the stealth generator thingie but it's so stupid when you remember that Raynor, and every other Terran faction, already has them and there are even rogue ones hiring themselves out as mercenaries. It's not like the zerg can use them and the protoss already have vastly better stealth technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh right. I don't have any knowledge, or interest, in the coop commander stuff and forgot about them. But surely infested banshees are just regular existing banshees with an infested pilot?

I meant it more like the zerg can't study the essence of a banshee cloaking generator and use it to morph stealth mutalisks. Although cloakable scourge would be hilarious.