Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

BisbyWorl posted:

Now, this whole vision is presumably how the Overmind knew Kerrigan would play an important role, and guided all his plans from then on.

The problem is that the only reason the vision reveals it is because the Dark Voice decided to loving gloat. If he just kept his mouth shut that would be it. Universe ends, no moral.

This bit seems contradicted by the heroes' dying lines, either generic "welp we didn't know at the time / should have acted sooner" or one that specifically mentions her by name... which imply there was some big dramatic revelation. The issue being the writers deciding to go "tell don't show" and have a bunch of NPCs standing around dramatically commenting on the fact that everyone in-timeline (and the overmind watching whatever vision) somehow knows Kerrigan was the only one that could have prevented this situation. How the gently caress do they know and who was the one that explained to them? Did Kerrigan forget to update her Fated Chosen One certification? Even more incoherent prophecy bullshit?

It's bad writing in an attempt to cover up more bad writing, but failing and making it even worse.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Poil posted:

Sorry, I've no idea what a Macross is. But a giant robot transforming into a car with a flamethrower would be much cooler than a hellion/hellbat. It wouldn't fit at all with the terran style and aesthetic however.

SDF Macross is an ancient anime, featuring insanely cheesy writing and mechs that transform into fighter jets.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Gun Jam posted:

So, instead of "I'm gonna get Mengsk!" she was at the start of the game, she's now "I'm really gonna get Mengsk"?

Before it was "I can't have peace as long as he's alive" and now it's "welp peace is not an option at all" so she's going to be a lot less reluctant about doing warcrimes in pursuit of revenge?

Though it would be really funny to see her trying to teach zerglings what a 'noncombatant' is.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

disposablewords posted:

They needed to pick a bit and commit to it. They are not competent enough writers to make this half-and-half thing feel satisfying.

Deformed Church posted:

Honestly, this internally inconsistent Kerrigan feels pretty good to me? Like, there's really no-one good in the starcraft universe, basically every main character is just some incredibly powerful bastard doing insane war crimes because they think they're right and the ends justify the means - Jim did it, Kerrigan is doing it, and Artanis will do it. On a macro level, every faction is wrong and evil, but really the only distinction that matters is protagonist vs antagonist - right now we're in Kerrigan's pov so we're doing the things she does, but I think SC2 works best if you don't take the implicit assumption that we're playing the hero. It's the Saturday morning cartoon version of that, because it's a sci-fi game about tanks and essence and psychic aliens, but that's still the best frame to view it in.

And because it's a silly cartoon story, at some point the real evil will arrive and threaten to kill thousands of people and everyone will patch up their differences and defeat it with the power of friendship, at which point Kerrigan will truly become the galactic hero of prophecy.
A shaky or indecisive character is an entirely separate thing though, the issue here is inconsistent themes and direction. Like the writers tried to give everything maximum gravitas at all times, while constantly changing their minds on what kind of story they're writing.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

I've said before I never played SC1.

I saw the Zerus cutscene.

And I thought it was probably one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

How are the Zerg, who have been fighting loving space wars for god knows how many years, in need of the basic bitch rear end zerg that they left on Zerus. Like if the gimmick is that the zerg adapt super fast to survive in space then how have the zerg somehow grown weaker than if they'd just sat on their home turf doing nothing but eating the same creatures they'd grown off of.

the communist water fluoridation conspiracy has corrupted their essence so now they need to start over

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

megane posted:

Zagara has a zergling on a box holding a big megaphone

better than rapping at you in ultralisk semaphore?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

And it would have given a way to skip the whole Zerus arc because really all Zerus gave us was Dehaka who sat around twiddling his thumbs until this very last bit.

yeah but the whole point of a filler training arc is to waste your time, for minimal effort to pad out the runtime

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Kith posted:

i feel like heart of the swarm actually would've been stronger if the only unit you had control of was kerrigan and all of the zerg allies were AI controlled or something

of course that would've made for a terrible ZERG campaign but everything else about it - narrative, balance, etc - would've been better

it worked pretty well in Starsector with a fleet of AI-controlled ships and letting the player give general directives

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

yeah there's a big difference between "encouraging" a more aggressive playstyle, vs mandating it to be the only viable approach by imposing arbitrary restrictions on what the player is allowed to do.

the S in RTS means the player is supposed to observe and think and plan and execute their own strategy, rather than having the devs make the important decisions for them by minimizing the degrees of freedom to "what color of hats does your army wear?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

painedforever posted:

So, the Xel'Naga being science nerds eaten by their own creations...

Is that also a Warhammer 40k thingie? Because I'm reminded of the Brain Boyz who were supposedly responsible for creating the Orks and Eldar and all, but then either died off or were absorbed by the Orks into a degenerate race.

it would be weird to credit warhammer for inventing a generic trope that predates it by thousands of years. before there was even a word for 'scientists' it was cautionary tales of wizards or gods creating something that they couldn't control.