Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh hell yes, SC2 is a great game. Shame about the writing, but that's been covered in detail.

Looking forward to this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm gonna vote Marauders because they're an incredibly defining unit for Terran and also do good work on many of the missions in the campaign, whereas Firebats are much more situational.

Bioball is so fuckin good

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Well presumably it's not like the Spartan armor.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

disposablewords posted:

Sure, but even so that doesn't seem like meaningful enough for Mengsk to hold over Tychus's head like that while also letting him out of prison. It's not like nobody else anywhere in the sector could crack a suit open, if that's all that was going on.

There may be a bomb or injected poison or some other poo poo that goes off if marines get their suits removed illegally.

The correct answer though is "don't think about it too hard, it's a blizzard story"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The heavily exaggerated designs help a ton with readability in a game like this so I think it's an excellent decision even if it is goofy.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

In addition to what others have said about them, Mercs are great for new players and people who are just kinda not good at RTS games because they're stronger per unit of supply and per amount of space they take up, and the standard basic foolproof strategy that most of those players use is to sit around amassing a giant deathball until you can't make it any bigger and then a-move it into the enemies.

Also they look cool. 😎

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

If you come to this mission with marauders and upgrade money spent on medics, marines, and marauders you can clown the bases even on brutal. The Terran bioball is fierce.

Yep, there's a reason bioball has been a mainstay of multi-player for the entirety of SC2's run. Its a simple, straightforward, and powerful strategy that is effective in most situations and comes out very early.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Koorisch posted:

So how *could* you fix the Firebats?

Make them attack in a giant 90 degree angle representing them just waving their arms around unleashing a wave of fire at anything in front?

Reduce the wind up, make them follow through their attacks if they'll hit any target. That fixes a big part of the problem, then everything after that is number balancing imo.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

poor firebats, confined to a life of being worse at their job than pretty much everything else.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Marauders are one of my favorite units in the game including expansions, in both SP and MP.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Goliaths!

I wish they were available in multiplayer, I love them.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I vote for Vikings, mostly because the seige tank mission is extremely funny when done as late as possible especially if we get nukes first.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Seige Tanks rule and Sgt Hammer was my main in HotS. She was such a fun character to play.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Let's get the protoss stuff over with in one swoop imo, that way we can be done with the awful retcons and character butchery and won't have it hanging over our heads for the rest of the LP. Stare at the rock a few more hours.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A lot of small stuff in SC2 is written well or at least decent, even if all the big stuff is godawful.

I can't recall a single part of Shadowlands' writing that I thought was good.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Keep on ponderin

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kith posted:

the sooner we have uncovered all of the stone's secrets, the sooner we can forget its missions

:hai:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

biosterous posted:

p o n d e r

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Warcraft 3 buildings are also walkable around the edges except for farm and tower equivalents, presumably for similar reasons.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

painedforever posted:

This sounds like the sort of thing I would do which makes me a bit suspicious about it. I read in a book about military tactics that amateurs are always looking for a superweapon or trick to overwhelmingly beat opponents, and solid (albeit) boring tactics in the hands of a veteran will win every single time.

This is pretty much a golden rule in SC2 and most other RTS games. All of the "cheap" strategies are very effective against new and inexperienced players if used by someone who can execute them properly, but they almost always involve sacrificing something that leaves you open for a player who recognizes what you're doing to withstand and then heavily punish you for it. It's certainly still possible to catch a pro off guard, it's just so much less likely because they've generally seen that kind of thing dozens of times before and know what buttons to push to make it collapse.

Like the floating island expansions on certain SC2 maps, first of all you're at an immediate disadvantage because it takes some time to get your CC over there and that's time you're not spending building up your economy. Experienced players will be scouting for your base to see what your start looks like regardless, so if they see you aren't at any valid starting position they'll know what's up and be able to play accordingly.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

it's all downhill from here

Eh we've gotten the worst out of the way now, for Wings of Liberty at least.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

One of the admins occasionally makes an announcement with a bunch of interesting things on the forums for people to go look at, the most recent one includes this thread.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You could also just make them harder (and have npc dialogue reflect this like the above poster said in the last part) the later you do them, to compensate for the powerups you get by doing other missions first.

Not a lot harder, just enough to make it seem like yeah by putting this stuff off we wasted some opportunities etc. In the story

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

As far as I remember, outside of artillery, most attacks in SC2 are hitscan, which also somewhat lessens the Diamondback's utility. If most units fired at where a unit was when they launched the attack, and those attacks could miss if the unit kept moving, then Diamondbacks would suddenly be units where a lot of micro could provide huge payoff. But since that's not the case... anti-artillery feels like their only real niche.

Yep exactly this. A unit like the Diamondback would be insanely good in, say, Age of Empires 2.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I believe you guys are thinking about it far more than the writers intended, or likely even thought about it themselves

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This mission and the next two in the sequence are a lot of fun. Odin rules.

Also I've heard rumors that starcraft 3 is all-but-confirmed to be being developed currently, which confuses the hell out of me.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out that this was something of a :blizz:-wide overreaction to the community complaints of Arthas showing up so often in Wrath to shake his fist at you and exclaim that he’d get you next time that he started to look like a kid’s cartoon villain.

which feels weird because in diablo 3 they notoriously quintupled down on that exact problem of all the badguys popping up and laughing about their evil plan and how they'd totally kick your rear end, which contributed a large part toward the writing being absolute dogshit.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh man RWBYs wasted potential almost puts SC2 to shame, and in a lot of similar ways too.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vikings are the best answer to Colossus in TvP, and I believe they're a solid counter to Seige Tanks in TvT as well?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you want a game where choices matter just play Disco Elysium tbh

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kith posted:

I feel I should mention as a follow-up: there's a Co-Op Commander whose Air-Only Army is so powerful it can crash the game.

lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

And even at their peak of it, the ongoing warcraft 3 lp is a pretty good showing that it wasn't nearly as high of a peak as my rose colored glasses remembered.

The thing about warcraft 3 is that the first campaign had great writing and the overwhelming majority of players didn't get further than that, so it gets a much better reputation than the last two campaigns deserve.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it's a great example of the 2000s video game philosophy: as long as you have a strong first act it doesn't matter if you forget to do anything with the next thirty hours, sunk cost fallacy will carry most people the rest of the way

Which is honestly fine in a game like Warcraft 3 because the gameplay is good enough to keep you hooked even if the narrative isn't really making sense anymore if you think about it for more than 3 seconds. Starcraft 2, as well - I largely agree with Natural 20 here that the first playthrough experience is very good if you both aren't intimately familiar with the first game and are playing through it organically instead of how the LP is approaching it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are we gonna have, like, a talking hydralisk as our #2?

Oh just you wait :allears:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is the hellbat less of a poo poo unit at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Y'all gotta remember that characters without names don't matter in Blizzard games. There are no warcrimes, just cool set pieces of exploding cities that don't mean anything morally.