Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Donny vermillion is a national treasure and all of you are mad. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Hmmm... do we give you the other bread and butter unit you need to create a deathball that can roll the rest of the game? Or do we go with some losers in a bulky suit that think they're better than they really are?

Hell yes, we're getting devil dogs and charbroiling everything in our way!

E:
Also it's funny how I also noticed the filled out computer screen and had a completely different reaction. That jerk swan is holding out on us! He doesn't need to get plans, he's just locked our login out of the good stuff!

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 11, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Omobono posted:

This is correct, I got my Protoss mixed up.
I think he's still alive by SC2.

I'm now imagining that he's dead and what we see in void is an elaborate weekend at bernies act.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Plus he lives in space prison camp sector. The place was colonized by convicts.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nah, the mass nuking of korhal was a confederates weapon test. So just the local government making sure their shiny new weapon of subjugation worked

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

He also evades every attempt by raynor to know what happened to him. Raynor doesn't push because old friends and Tychus didn't prisoner dilemma him, but its pretty noticeable every time raynor asks about anything following his 'release".

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Wait, that was supposed to be a bad scream? I always thought it sounded like a dude going "YEEEEEEEAAAAAAH!"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Right? Especially with the weirdly cheerful music.

And it's where the drugs come from! Why wouldn't they be happy to get their stims?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

He's also talking to Tychus, who he openly doesn't trust. If the writing elsewhere wasn't terrible I could write it off as him playing his cards close to his chest

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Mercs are really good and a lot cheaper than upgrades. Well probably see more of how they work next mission so I won't sidetrack it too much, but they don't need time to train like normal units so you can use those early mineral pick ups to rapidly drop a strong force of elite units for an early push. And as people noted, sc2 is very much a game that rewards aggression early and often.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It was also incredibly post WoW so you can feel the influence of their artists working just on wow for so long before sc2.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'll give firebats one thing; they're pretty doggone chonky with their upgrades. Now they have zero aggro or damage to do anything with their bulk, but at least they can take a few hits.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You would think they would have not canceled the aoe attack if it was still primed to hit stuff. Like the other dozen zerglings still there for example.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

If you come to this mission with marauders and upgrade money spent on medics, marines, and marauders you can clown the bases even on brutal. The Terran bioball is fierce.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Seeing as how they're single player campaign only they could also give them something to help them draw fire from the ai. That little preview clip was also a pretty good example of the defensive focused unit getting ignored by zerglings that walked past it to munch the marine behind him instead. 3 armor and 100 hp base doesn't do much if the enemy isn't hitting it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

We will not be getting the Devil Dogs.

quote:

The Firebat's here!

He won't be going anywhere else!

Coward.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Sc2 does promote exploring though. It has free combat units and resource pick ups scattered around the maps that encourage you to leave your base and explore so you can afford that early agression rather than sitting in your base until you can doomball the enemy.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Also, wiping out bases has a very noticeable effect on a lot of maps with regards to attack waves and is a big part of why sc2 has its reputation for demanding early agression all the time. And while these early maps don't show it very well because they're narratively introducing the zerg as an unending Horde of bug monsters coming out of everywhere, the game usually let's you end the mission early by smashing the enemy base out of existence(which speedruns naturally appreciate) and often gives you achievements for doing so. Combined with the Easter eggs like our tauren marine in his outhouse rocket on mar sara 3, it very much rewards you for showing you can beat he base intended to be too difficult to bother with.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Honestly when I played, which I think was admittedly on normal because my general experience with higher difficulty levels is that they add more tedium rather than more challenge, I felt like rolling out and dunking on the enemies I wasn't supposed to fight was something I did to pass the time or for bragging points, rather than something that made a difference to the mission.

That's pretty much what the achievements and things are there for. Typically its a lot easier to just do the mission objectives, but sometimes a character is a jerk and you want to style on them and show them what's what instead.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah the dow 2 toxin plot is split into 2 parts

1) we need a sample of their special goop so that we can design a poison to yeet into their fleet via the whole hive mind thing.

2) I guess kill the animal that poisoned our buddy so we can save him.

2 isn't actually that far off reality. And while we don't have psychic hive minds in reality, understanding something's body is an important step in making a poison that breaks it.

As opposed to here, where everyone is being so loving vague the thread doesn't even have a consensus on what the hell is even being looked at for a cure.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

All right, time to go grab the goliath.

Goliaths are the best little mechwarrior boys and I'll hear nothing about them sucking. At least their upgrades make them a solid 'useable' which is more than about half the units in wings I guess.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

JohnKilltrane posted:

I voted for gas. Partially because Goliaths are fun, but mostly because I like to delay the Train mission until after I've got Ghosts/Spectres so you can use nukes to kill the trains.

That is so much funnier than the normal person holding out for siege tanks that I am.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Poil posted:

Reapers being badass or useful? We have dismissed that claim.

Also the AI in the campaign blatantly cheats and uses scripts for attacks and only seem to occasionally mine minerals as decoration.

As someone who has smashed the bases you aren't intended to on brutal, thise things absolutely actively produce units although I can't speak to resource cheating under the hood(probably, considering how fast the enemy base in the next mission can poo poo dudes out). Not every attack is a scripted spawn in even if they do exist, so raiding production could at least have some use on the rare maps the enemy doesn't rush to rebuild the buildings you remove.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

kvx687 posted:

I haven't mathed it out, but don't the reapers have the best anti-structure DPS of the infantry units? If you're running a bioball I could see it being useful to build some as a secondary control group, your MMM squad runs in first to attract attention and kill the enemy units, then the reapers run in after to focus down defensive structures, pylons, or other high-value targets.

You could do that, or you could just build more mmm with your money and flatten the enemy even harder because they still rip through buildings just fine in sufficient numbers.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Since the alternate win condition is cut off: all you have to do is March your army into a hive of dozens of production structures, against a full tech protoss opponent loaded up with psi storm and collosi, and with an ai that aggressively rebuilds any units or buildings you destroy, and raze the whole thing to the ground. It is even more of a pain in the rear end than juggling the cannisters, but you get to feel smug afterward, and isn't that what really matters?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Numbus26 posted:

Wings of Liberty does have a problem with the marine, honestly. Very few units can outperform an equivalent resource quantity of marines of marines with medic backup, and marauders cover the ones they can't.

Yeah, everything loses to the marine. If you ignore the marine because it's broken as poo poo, the Goliath's chief comparison is the other AA mech unit. That comparison is a lot more favorable to the Goliath, and that other unit takes a really cool concept and squanders the hell out of it while Goliaths are cool.

It's a solid workhorse that gets the job done all the way through brutal campaign, which is a ton more than most units can say. It's also completely trash without its 2 attacks at once upgrade to the point that it really should have been part of its base kit.

Why yes, I do love Swann in co-op. How did you guess?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, the (tosh route): other ghost isn't even a former dominion ghost. It's literally your enemy telling you tosh is totes a bad guy, and you should help her instead. Jim does zero research, and that is the complete extent of the information he acts on.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, flying tanks exist. They're called attack helicopters.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Another interesting thing to note about the Goliath is that it has a bunch of model variations. There's several different paint jobs on the cockpit that can pop up at random. I don't remember if that happens in the campaign, and it's hard to tell looking at the screenshots from above, but it's pretty noticeable in the editor.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Goliaths aren't in multiplayer, so it must do that in campaign if it happens at all.

Swan gets goliaths in co-op too, but the variations have been in since wings. But yeah, if it's not in the campaign the randomized paint jobs are cut content they left in the editor.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Looks like they do get the different paint jobs in the campaign. This guy on reddit found them hunting campaign achievements. It's also got a pic.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/8lqhd1/awesome_art_detail_on_goliaths/

Cythereal posted:

Nova also gets goliaths in co-op, and hers are pretty dang useful since in my experience she's usually using her barracks cooldown on ghosts and goliaths are a good flex pick that can work against any target, plus they have Nova's lockdown missiles if you're facing Terran or Protoss.

Yeah, but Nova gets a big model change as opposed to variable reskins.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

There's one other big change for bio:
It heals at range. That means pretty much zero downtime for your healers in battle keeping dudes in the fight. No more hoping the medic can waddle over in time to save that marine.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Look, if they were going to have a dude drinking in a bar telling stories as their plot they should have gone full call of juarez: gunslinger with it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

CheeseThief posted:

I don't think that what was being said at the time.

It was more along the lines of "we don't want to keep taking the player's victories away" and I can understand that. I don't think it would bother me personally but I could see people feeling frustrated that the first half of the game would have you "lose" no matter how well you played, without knowing what the mission structure would be like it's hard to say what it would be like but it seems like the dev team had a concern about tarnishing the player's achievements. The narrative arc could have been fine, appropriate even, but the way it gelled with the game-play loop sounds like there was some disconnect.

Eh, you could easily do stuff like a new Gettysburg analog where your ground force gets the job done, but doesn't get needed evac when the hordes arrive: this time because Jim is passed out drunk or nonresponsive because he's flashing back.

Or have Jim gently caress things up for the player in mission and the player has to scramble for victory in spite of Jim.

Or have the mission itself be the gently caress up and the player gets a Terran version of in utter darkness because Jim hosed up that bad.

There are tooons of gameplay ways to make story defeats happen without feeling like the player's fault. That's a lame rear end excuse, and if in house was that dysfunctional, the fact that the game released at all, let alone that it was good, is a miracle.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

titty_baby_ posted:

I played sc2 custom maps all day to kill time during covid and I definitely felt like I missed the crest of the wave in comparison to wc3 custom maps at their peak. It was almost entirely direct strike when I was on

Sc2 had an algorithm that got gamed, and the first couple of maps released dominated it for the entirety of its life. It was always almost entirely desert strike.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I went straight to these missions on replays for this reason. There probably should have been a delay between them where the player has to complete a mission or two before doing the next one (so Jim can collect his thoughts or whatever).

Yeah, these missions can't gain strength from the other missions, and flat out increase your strength on all other missions. With them dropping all at once the game really doesn't give you a reason not to play all three back to back.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Meaty Ore posted:

Now that both LPs are going on at the same time, it really strikes me that Zeratul in SC2 plays pretty much the same role as Medivh did in WC3, the difference being that people actually listen to him.

There's a couple big differences:
1) Zeratul approaches people he actually knows and has good rapport with rather than running around after strangers.

2) Zeratul hands Raynor evidence that lays out everything he knows

3) Zeratul yells "doooooooom! But I refuse to explain. I must go now!" wait no, this part is exactly the same.

He is leaps and bounds more competent at actually attempting to convince people.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Felinoid posted:

Eh. A couple of them maybe. Certainly the one you played as was. But I also remember the absolute idiocy of one cerebrate that tried to rebel; arguably just so you could have a zerg v. zerg fight, but still. Plus given their size, I imagine each cerebrate is like a hundred Xel'Naga mashed into one to increase their brainpower, and even that doesn't stop them from being petty assholes all the time, even when it works directly against their own goals.

The zvz wasn't a rebelling cerberate. It was zasz's brood running around with no one at the reigns after the dark Templar deep six'd him. And they were generally pretty good at working together and most of their bickering was with Kerrigan, who had... a bit more of a personality than they were used to talking to.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

JohnKilltrane posted:

You really captured the Maar factor of this mission. Outside of a couple of windows early on he doesn't pose that much of a threat, but he's so irritating. It's like the devs said "What if every minute or so someone came up and pushed you on the back of the head while you were playing." Have Maar be more powerful but spawn less frequently and the mission would be less annoying IMHO.

On the other hand, Templar <3 <3 <3 Storm isn't as strong in this game, but it's still hella fun, and Feedback is just so satisfying to use.

Also I know conservation of detail is a thing but Zeratul's whole "The Great Hungerer? Why that could only be the Overmind!" always struck me as a bit of a funny leap.

Little did Zeratul realize the prophecy actually referred to Billy Jenkins, an scv pilot famous for having won hot dog eating contests across Mar Sara. He was unfortunately already obliterated by Tassadar's fleet years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

So when we inevitably ponder the rock:
Are you going to do the next mission legit or just lol Zeratul it?

e: UPDATE ON LAST PAGE