Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Ooooh, goody, here we go.

Worth noting: that initial teaser trailer with the very large man getting bolted into the Marine armor? The original teaser version didn't have Arcturus' narration. No dialogue except for the one big line from the big man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
To be fair, the conversation Raynor and Kerrigan had at the start of the New Gettsyburg mission did sort of imply there was some off-screen development of feelings between the two.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Would now be a good time to point out that, when I first went into Starcraft 2, i completely missed the fact that the narrator in the opening cinematic letting Tychus go was Mengsk?

By the time discussion of how Tychus did or did not escape starts happening, I had completely forgotten about the opening cinematic entirely, so I wasn't able to get a read on Tychus at all. But all things considered, taking what we know about him, he's honestly my favorite character in Starcraft 2.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Sadly, the cruiser's missile barrage in this mission was something cut from release. :( It was shown in early videos for the game as an alternative upgrade to the yamato cannon, swapping single-target damage for a massive area effect strike, but then it was removed and is now strictly a cutscene power the player never gets to use.

SC2 also wastes little time showing its love affair of orbital drop pod assaults. Someone (probably several someones) at Blizzard is a big Warhammer 40k fan, and it shows.

It's worth noting the laser-spam shown from the Hyperion isn't actually a special ability, it's the unit's standard attack pattern, blasting huge barrages of lasers in an area doing splash damage where they land rather than targeting specific units. Regular Battlecruisers are different, still with a spammed barrage of many lower-damage lasers, but that attack is focused on a single target rather than blasting in a huge area.

Also, fun lore Nitpick that campaign mods tend to fix: The Hyperion is an old Behemoth-class Battlecruiser once used by Mengsk, but stolen by Raynor when they parted ways. However, the standard Battlecruiser model in Starcraft 2 (used here to represent the Hyperion) is actually a newer class of Battlecruiser developed by the Dominion - the Minotaur. Though the Hyperion later received a lore-accurate Behemoth-class model later on, it was never officially back-ported to this brief appearance in this mission.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Need a light?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Koorisch posted:

So i'm guessing that Matt Horner is supposed to be the Magistate stand-in from SC1 since they can't have the player character be a person?

Canonically, Matt Horner's first in-game appearance was as First Officer on one of the ships Arcturus sent to help evacuate Mar Sara. Afterwards, he started working with Jim Raynor in the Sons of Korhal, and followed Jim when he defected following the betrayal of Kerrigan and genocide of Tarsonis. When Raynor's Raiders stole the Hyperion, Matt was assigned to run the ship and became its Captain.

The Starcraft 1 LP currently in progress by JohnKilltrane decided to turn Horner into the Magistrate, but that is purely creative license rather than any indication of canon.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
In short, Matt Horner views Raynor's Raiders as being in the right. Mengsk is the real criminal; it's just that what he stole was a seat of power which allows him to falsely pin Raynor's Raiders as criminals instead.

As far as Matt's concerned, his only crime is fighting to protect people and trying to create a better future for everyone.

Tychus is a more conventional criminal. Theft, piracy, murder, etc. Raynor may have similar crimes in his background, but he turned that around, had a job as a Marshall, and is now leading the Raiders to fight for a better future. Tychus is fresh out of a prison breakout, as far as Matt's aware. The fact that his first act was to track down his old buddy Raynor and offer a job stealing stuff to sell for profit doesn't inspire confidence in Tychus being at all reformed for his crimes.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will say, Tychus does freely confess that he is actually sealed inside the suit until he pays off his debts when asked why he was still wearing it on the bridge, and Raynor and Horner seem to accept that at face value; and it IS technically true.

It's just, there's a lot more to it than that, and we haven't been made privy to that yet.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The biggest problem with Firebats as a short-range unit is how long it takes them to actually FIRE when they go to attack.

One of the general balance changes made in the Nightmare Mode mod for the Wings of Liberty campaign was to simply reduce that delay between the start of the attack animation and the actual attack occurring. It makes a startling amount of difference. As a bonus, the Nightmare Mode mod doesn't actually have to be played on Nightmare Difficulty; if you play on a level below brutal, I think you just get the general balance changes and not the Nightmare Mode difficulty.

As it stands... best to skip them, or yeah, stick them in a bunker somewhere.

Szarrukin posted:

Also, wasn't it implied that spoilerspoiler?

I'll wait until we reach the end of this mission chain because obviously spoilers, but I do have an answer for this.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 25, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I adore the Field Manual. I love that type of book where it's presented as a more professional or standard thing, but a previous owner has left all sorts of doodles and entertaining comments scribbled in.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Medic Flashbangs actually haven't appeared in-game since Brood War - even in Heroes of the Storm, the Medic hero, Lt. Morales, in her annoyed quotes notices and laments the lack of her optical flares. "I already miss blinding people :("

It's interesting that the Field Manual mentions them, considering they have not appeared in *any* official version of the game that I know of, be it campaigns, co-op, or otherwise.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Tenebrais posted:

This also makes me think that the "zerg virus" in this storyline is a different thing from their normal infestation. A new vector for it that you could potentially build some sort of immunisation against, or treat people that have been infected but proper assimilation into the Swarm hasn't begun yet. Not a cure for the basic concept of zerg infestation.

They could definitely have afforded to make that clearer if that was the intention though.

Strange as it sounds, I do think the idea is she is somehow trying to research a cure for Zerg Infestation in general - Zerg Infestation and the "Zerg Hyperevolutionary Virus" have come to refer to the same thing, from what I understand.

The Doctor is honestly probably fighting a losing battle - she herself says that conventional wisdom says a cure is impossible, as the virus mutates too quickly. But I suppose we'll see how she does.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

I don't think it's that direct, but I'll wait to go into more detail about my thoughts until we reach the conclusion of the Hanson plot. We haven't gotten that far yet, after all.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting that there are a few campaign mods that buff the Firebats by simply removing that delay on their attack animation. Makes them more usable. Still niche, but at least they're not horrendously bad at that niche.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Raynor in SC1 rode a [hover] motorbike around.

Raynor in SC2 sits at a desk.

To be fair, he was forced to sell the bike.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, stereotypes aside, Tosh is an interesting character, and I really do like him. He's got some fun comments on some missions throughout the campaign, too.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Koorisch posted:

He's also a character that showed up in a comic that came out to retcon the cancelled game Starcraft Ghost's story into the normal story.

I personally dislike adding characters from comics unless it's done well since most people will not have read it and will confuse the story, like how Assassin's Creed also did with a few of it's characters.

On the flip side, the game gives you all the context on Tosh's background that you really need. You're never left feeling like you NEED the context from the comic to know who this guy is. You're not left with a feeling of "Did I miss something? Who is this character they apparently expect me to know?" It's easy to believe that Tosh was a new character invented for Starcraft 2, and that's exactly what I believed for years before I learned about that comic.

In short, his presence in that comic is complementary to his appearance in Starcraft 2, rather than being required reading.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

painedforever posted:

Is everyone meant to be slightly suspicious? Are you meant to be distrustful of everyone in your team? Does anything come of it?

Too early to say! We'll just have to wait and see what happens in the LP, won't we?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

I have discovered that in SC2's map editor, there's a doodad of... a hologram of Nova doing the WoW night elf stripper dance. -_-

It gets used in Mass Recall, too.

It's visible in the Hyperion's bar, upstairs where Tosh hangs out.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

JohnKilltrane posted:

A couple things from earlier on that are interesting to me. First, from the intermission after Smash and Grab, when Matt tells Tychus about what happened to Kerrigan and Tychus says "And Jimmy feels responsible," it's one of a few hints throughout the game of a slightly more interesting characterization for Raynor? This idea that he isn't depressed about losing Kerrigan so much as he's suffering from survivor's guilt. It feels very much in character for Jimmy to blame himself for not going after her and abandoning her and therefore feel like he's responsible for what she's become and every atrocity she does, the blood is partially on his hands. Not that I think he's to blame, but he's just the kind of guy that holds himself responsible, even when it defies all reason to do so.

There are actually hints of this as early as the end of the Terran Campaign, when at the start of the mission, after his little "we're on our own now" speech, there's a brief pause, and then... "drat it. I shouldn't have let her go alone."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It really is nice of Tosh to not only point out where each and every Altar is on the map, but actively maintain vision of them for us, so we can see which one is being revealed.

Between this and not only revealing all the Mineral sites on Redstone, but also having reinforcements in the area for us, he's been pretty helpful so far, considering we're the ones being hired to help him!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I feel like once you get the "Target air and ground simultaneously" upgrade, Goliaths are very worth at least mixing a few into a composition. The sheer utility of a unit that has passable DPS against both air and ground, and can do both at the same time is extremely valuable.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Qwertycoatl posted:

IIRC, when the game gives you a choice, it changes things round so that your choice is correct. If you trust Tosh you were right to do so, if you don't trust him it turns out he was evil all along.

Given the context of the situations, I know there are arguments to be made, but this is the one time where I really don't feel like this is the case. I think there's a clear "correct" choice, and you're given free reign to trust the wrong person. Said wrong person keeps their word about the reward, at least.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I just wanna say, I do appreciate one thing that Starcraft 2 does with a few Terran vehicles - the Siege Tank, plus one other unit we'll see later, have different "models" and such that are named and classified differently, providing an in-universe explanation for the new unit being very different from the old.

In this case, the Siege Tank. In Starcraft 1 & Brood War, the Siege Tank was also known as the Arclite Siege Tank. In Starcraft 2 however, the Arclite has been rendered obsolete by the newer Crucio model.

However, if you inspect the names of their weapons, it's revealed that the Siege Breakers are actually piloting older, heavily modified Arclite tanks - though I'm a stickler for certain details, so I will note that the way the Siege Breakers' tanks deploy Siege Mode makes them closer to a Crucio tank in design than the old Arclites.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kith posted:

Since we happen to be on the subject:

Fun Fact About Heroes Of The Storm: It's made entirely out of Starcraft 2. You can still find a bunch of HOTS code in the Galaxy Editor if you go poking around, and you can copy and paste HOTS units and assets into Starcraft 2 with zero adjustments required. A large amount of HOTS fan animations and fan hero implementations were built in Starcraft 2, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-70WXMJ2D0

The Mass Recall team actually took advantage of this, and straight up use some of the Heroes of the Storm models for certain hero characters, including Fenix and Tassadar.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The sheer number of campaign mods that make some sort of attempt to make Predators usable is astounding.

Two best attempts I've seen have been making them cost only minerals and 2 supply in Legacy of the Void Terran Edition, and most recently... giving them cliff-jumping in a new Nova Covert Ops mod. I don't know what else the latter has done for them, but that alone looks delightful.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'd like to comment, but I'd rather wait until we actually confirm we're going in that direction. Until then, we're rather getting ahead of ourselves, aren't we? What's all this talk about stabbing Tosh, he's just offering us another mission, right?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

The problem with the protoss missions is that the other missions don't alter them at all, and meanwhile the protoss missions objectively make you stronger for those other missions. Incredibly so when you consider that they basically cap out your research. It basically makes it much harder on yourself not to blitz them all at once, which is an interesting dichotomy with every other plot line where there's mandatory waiting at some point to force you to look at the other mission lines.

It is for this reason that several campaign mods forcibly spread them out, requiring you to do other missions in between Zeratul missions.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Stares disapprovingly at all these people discussing stuff that will be covered in the LP that we haven't gotten to yet

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Torchlighter posted:

:actually: HOTS and LOTV make it canonical that Raynor helped Tosh instead of Nova, so the Spectres existing is actually because of Raynor! The general implication is that the Dominion was always gonna use Spectres anyway, this was just Nova's personal objection to try and keep the Dominion from having another weapon. And then it turns out that a significant number of them joined the Moebius Foundation!
:goonsay:

That's right! It's all bad!

>Acktchuallying your Acktchually

Heart of the Swarm actually changes relevant dialogue to reflect your choice in Wings of Liberty - if you sided with Nova, she will thank Raynor for helping with her Tosh problem, but state she still has a mission here. Then later, Horner will offer to have one of the Raiders' Ghost operatives infiltrate instead of Tosh offering. It's only Legacy of the Void's Epilogue that confirms Raynor's choice, by giving him Spectres instead of Ghosts. Spectres show up no matter what you do; all siding with Nova accomplishes is kill off Tosh, and end his partnership with Raynor.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SoundwaveAU posted:

Blizzard's weird disdain for their own voice actors

This note is something to remember. I still remember in the days before Wings of Liberty released... from what I remember, they were originally not going to bring Robert Clotworthy back to play Raynor! They brought him back because of the backlash they got for changing his voice!

Though I don't remember if it was stated to be a temporary voice or not, I do remember backlash over his voice when they had footage that involved Raynor with a different actor playing him.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

Basically, except there isn’t some boss monster that eventually comes in to stomp all over your sandcastle, it’s just a ramping up of enemy forces until it’s effectively an endless tide of them.

It's worth noting that by the time it reaches that point, you've long since fulfilled the objectives, and you're just going for stylepoints and possibly achievements now.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

biosterous posted:

p o n d e r

P O N D E R

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I tend to leave Hanson's stuff till later simply because she will continue to have commentary after every mission, and even though I know what she says, it's just force of habit to try and dig out as much extra dialogue as I can.

I say we go an' bust open New Folsom! Ain't no better way to piss off Mengsk!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I remain convinced that this is the one "Choose who to support" choice in Wings of Liberty where there is an objectively wrong choice.

I mean... Bisby said it. We are expected to take the word of a DOMINION GHOST, a psionic spy/assassin for Mengsk, at face value, over the word of the guy who has been hiring us for missions, filling his end of the deal and then some by actively providing mission assistance by revealing the locations of objectives on the map, and just revealing those areas on the map in general, stuck around as an extra advisor and confidant when Raynor wanted/needed to talk to him, and hasn't actually lied to us about what he is at all; at worst, he didn't mention it until asked. But when asked, he was up-front and honest about it.

It kills me to know that the Ghost is considered the better unit (The Ghost's longer attack range and Sniper provide great value later on), but I just can't say no to the Spectre and helping Tosh.

gently caress off, Nova.

(I remain convinced that the only reason Tosh didn't tell us what he needed the Jorium and Terrazine for was because Raynor never asked him, only wondered privately when told about what the stuff did.)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 21, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Xarn posted:

This choice is the biggest example of the reality warping to make your choice correct (charitably, Raynor is such a good influence on the people he works with that he can significantly change their opinions in one mission), so picking Nova ends up being perfectly justified.

And again, Ghosts are better :v:

That's just it. No it isn't. It really, really isn't. "Reality" is only different because of the reaction to Raynor making a different choice. I'll save the details for after the mission(s), but this really, really does boil down to "Do you wish to betray the guy you've been working with until now at the word of a mutual enemy or not?"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It might be worth it if you want to try some of the campaign mods popping up that use GiantGrantGames' Campaign Mod Manager. Those one don't go through the Arcade, those mods actually modify the campaigns themselves, and some of them are really cool.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I do have a couple of comments to make about this version of events and Nova's, but I'll hold off just a little longer, until we can see Nova's version to compare.

But the summary of my comments are as follows: Nova's version doesn't do nearly as much to make her version the "right choice" as people act like it does. In fact, it doesn't do a drat thing. I will emphasize one detail: Raynor talking to Swann... he talks about how there's no brainwashing involved, and how it's "part of the deal".

He's not talking about "the deal" with how Tosh makes Spectres. He's talking about the deal he made with Tosh.

But again, I'll wait to explain further until after Nova's mission.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Here's the thing.

That Psi Indoctrinator? There's nothing to tell us Tosh doesn't still have it in his route. He simply agrees not to use it; a concession he's willing to make because Raynor didn't betray him, and has worked with him in good faith this whole time. That's what I was talking about before. That talk with Swann, where Raynor says "Tosh can only train volunteers; that's the deal." I remain convinced he's not saying "that's the deal" as in "that's how the process works", he's saying that he made a deal with Tosh that he trains volunteers, and doesn't use the Psi Indoctrinator. And that line with Swann is the only potential evidence that the Indoctrinator doesn't exist on Tosh's route. That's it.

Hanson herself claims Nova lied to us after Tosh's mission... and while I won't spoil what she says in this version, I'll say this: She doesn't contradict herself here.

This Split Choice is nothing more than Nova lying to us, and us having the option to fall for it and betray someone who has hired us in good faith for a few jobs, supported us in getting the jobs done, and offered us continued support in our War against Mengsk.

Tosh's behavior here isn't that of some evil psychotic mastermind. It's that of a man who has been betrayed and is under attack.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Matt's been very patient with us, so let's go rob some trains.

By the way, for those curious what Hanson does say after Nova's mission? She doesn't get a big cinematic conversation... all she simply says is that she doesn't like Nova, and wonders how many people she's killed.

Hanson, it turns out, has good instincts about Nova. If we side with Tosh, Hanson attempts to verify Nova's claims, and uncovers her lie. If we side with her, she has no real reason to verify said claims since we're killing Tosh anyway... but she still doesn't trust the Dominion Assassin.