Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I gave it some thought and I am okay with the story changing to justify your choice.

I mean it's lovely, but the reality is that if one choice is the "correct" one, players will keep picking it, and Blizzard absolutely does not (and did not) have the writing chops to pull off writing two choices that are both about the same mix of good and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Torrannor posted:

And even with decent writing chops, reasonable (and unreasonable!) people can disagree which choice was overall better, in which choice the good outweighed the bad and vice versa.

That's exactly what you want to achieve with the options though.

The issue is that if you take the (spoilers for upcoming choice) colony choice, and fix one of the possible outcomes, then only one of the options is good.. By making the outcome change so that your choice was always the correct one, you get around that, even if it is lovely writing.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Tenebrais posted:

You can make sympathetic zerg characters with good motivations, but don't try to retroactively justify everything they were before.

Sadly, the Blizzard writing team have exactly one hammer. And somehow, playing the next mission in the chain only makes this one more annoying, especially if you play them back to back (like me yesterday, because I decided to pick up SC2 campaign again :suicide:).

-----------------------------

Onto gameplay, I absolutely love warp gates, and how much cheese they got used for during the brief time I played WotL multi. Everything you know about attacks being disadvantaged because their reinforcements take longer to arrive? Straight out of the window.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

MagusofStars posted:

If you think it's "wasting your time", I'm guessing you just don't like the entire basic concept of the mission (totally fair, it's not everybody's cup of tea).

Because for anybody who likes the basic concept of the mission and is trying to do their best to live up to it, you're likely to last well beyond the targets for both objectives unless you're way over your head on difficulty level. The challenge isn't in simply meeting the objectives, it's seeing just how much beyond that you can go.

It is wasting my time because for significant part of the mission, I am supply capped and there is no real threat. There is unironically 10ish minutes of the mission where there is nothing to do, except wait for unit unlocks.

(might not actually be true on Brutal)

Xarn fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 12, 2023

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Apart from maybe the last two ones, I have no clue what those mission options are.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Eh, I would say that it was lot more respectful than SC2's approach of "lmao, we just write what we want, deal with it nerds".

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
So I played ahead of the LP and hoo boy, the writing keeps getting stupider and I haven't even started the final mission set.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

Also, I can't ever see that last mission without thinking of all of those race swapped campaign mods that led to this little bit of tomfoolery.

https://m.twitch.tv/giantgrantgames/clip/HyperBrainyLyrebirdKlappa

:monocle:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Mules are the real reason why planetary fortresses kinda suck... by upgrading to PF, you lose Mules.

Also it is "fun" to go from campaign terran to skirmish terran and find out just how much stuff works completely differently, like having to upgrade to get access to mule, making PF more of an interesting trade-off. :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am honestly surprised you didn't go for the gold minerals, if you rush them you can generally mine out a good bunch. Of course this only matters if you are a masochist who wants the mission to go on as long as you can. :v:

BisbyWorl posted:

They're also not Massive, letting Graviton Beam render them utterly helpless.

Yeah, this was a great way to undercut the tension. Sure, they can take a lot of punishment, but a galaxy ending threat should pose more danger than "the Protoss will run out of all conversation topics while waiting for their fleets to kill them". It's funny that the one unit that's actually issue to Skytoss is pure Zerg (corruptor).

... I also dislike the schmaltzy lines the heroes have on death.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The point defense drone was always bit of a feast-or-famine but it was really cool spell, I am sad they took it away.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Go help Nova, because the the unit we get is stronger in the final missions. The best reason to make story decisions :v:

(Actually will you show off both, or will we just ignore the path not taken?)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

I'll show off both, but the one that wins will be our 'canon' choice in terms of rewards.

Then I'll wait until you show off both before complaining about the writing :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
This choice is the biggest example of the reality warping to make your choice correct (charitably, Raynor is such a good influence on the people he works with that he can significantly change their opinions in one mission), so picking Nova ends up being perfectly justified.

And again, Ghosts are better :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Poil posted:

And of course there is the tiny little asterisk of ethical concerns.

This is the big one. I think the prices on the campaigns themselves are fine, but lol at giving blizz money.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
HotS has interesting gimmick in the evolutions and mutations if you are into that sort of thing.

It is definitely the one I am least likely to replay though.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Marluxia posted:

People keep saying that the game retroactively justifies the choices you make, no matter which one you pick. Is the justification here that Tosh attacks you, exactly how Nova predicted he would....?

Because uh, that's a pretty reasonable reaction to being betrayed

Spoilers for the alternative mission we won't be seeing for a bit longer: He got hold of some psi brainwashing thingies and brainwashes the people he trains into spectres to obey him. IIRC he might also be mentioned to be a psi supremacists. Not really the kind of a person you want to give any help to.

And yeah, he also tries to kill us, but that's pretty reasonable reaction.

Xarn fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 24, 2023

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I actually played that chain very early in my last playthrough. Let me tell you, when your heaviest armor is the diamondback, you have no siege tanks and no flying vision, assaulting uphill into siege tanks is hilariously brutal to your infantry.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I liked this mission more on the first playthrough, but I prefer Tosh for later playthroughs. It feels quicker to blitz, even though the gameplay is boring.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

The ability to forcibly control enemy units.

Well, now we know why Raynor sided with her :v:

BlazetheInferno posted:

Here's the thing.

That Psi Indoctrinator? There's nothing to tell us Tosh doesn't still have it in his route. He simply agrees not to use it; a concession he's willing to make because Raynor didn't betray him, and has worked with him in good faith this whole time. That's what I was talking about before. That talk with Swann, where Raynor says "Tosh can only train volunteers; that's the deal." I remain convinced he's not saying "that's the deal" as in "that's how the process works", he's saying that he made a deal with Tosh that he trains volunteers, and doesn't use the Psi Indoctrinator. And that line with Swann is the only potential evidence that the Indoctrinator doesn't exist on Tosh's route. That's it.

Hanson herself claims Nova lied to us after Tosh's mission... and while I won't spoil what she says in this version, I'll say this: She doesn't contradict herself here.

This Split Choice is nothing more than Nova lying to us, and us having the option to fall for it and betray someone who has hired us in good faith for a few jobs, supported us in getting the jobs done, and offered us continued support in our War against Mengsk.

Tosh's behavior here isn't that of some evil psychotic mastermind. It's that of a man who has been betrayed and is under attack.

Also, you know, he says he will only work with volunteers to the raiders. There is nothing saying that he isn't just making spectres and brainwashing them into obeying him on the side, as long as he just keeps that side hustle away from the raiders.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Arcanuse posted:

honestly
it wouldn't surprise me if the 'psi-indoctrinator' was just a facility to stabilize specters, not brainwash em.
Give em a place to blow off steam, work through any 'violent tendencies' from the spectre-creation process without any chance of causing actual damage.
Something I imagine the dominion could've done but since they kept getting their memories back they just scrapped the program.
(And blamed the specters like it was their fault the program didn't work out.)

IIRC the canon says that psi indoctrinators were a thing and they were more brutal version of the "social reconditioning" they give to convict marines. If you need to basically lobotomize someone to stabilize them, maybe don't expose them to the chemicals in the first place?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Let's go save the lone survivor in Haven.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
HotS improves this quite a bit. Shame about the gameplay being poo poo.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

MagusofStars posted:

That said, there is an argument for doing what games normally do and making it feel like there's time pressure through dialogue (but without affecting the actual gameplay) - putting off Haven's missions makes Hanson more and more frantic about "people are dying out there! we need to help my people!", if you go several missions ignoring Matt's train robbery he questions whether Raynor is getting distracted from the primary goal of fighting Mengsk. Etc. Doesn't affect the missions, just gives it a different feel to the player.

I hate when games do this :v: If you talk big about urgency, it better be actually urgent.

I agree that actual time limits need to be properly explained, but I would be fine with something like "you can do 3 arks out of 5, pick wisely".

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Warmachine posted:

But that's at odds with what I think was a good choice (independent of execution :v:) of using the mission design to showcase the unit that mission introduces...

tbh if it meant that I could actually use the tech tree through the campaign, rather than going through basically tutorial levels for 2/3 of the campaign, I'd go for it

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am disappointed about the lack of nuking in this mission. We demand nukes to be dropped!

There is also one more fun cheese in this mission to win before hiring Mira. The dreaded PF rush :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Since we are gripping about things, one part of marine depiction in cut scenes really bug me: the wimpy-rear end flashlights they have on their power armor.

Even using just light emitters we had in 2010, if you hook them up to a generator that can move around loving power armor, you should be having something that can light up a small canyon, not those wimpy rear end 1980s handheld flashlights.

Also every time I see Raynor's portrait in the game loading screen, I think that he has two tiny little windshield wipers in there :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
In a shocking plot twist, the Odin is actually pretty drat good :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Warmachine posted:

Also gently caress you Bisby, this stupid LP made me interested in playing SC2 again and I'm just wrapping up Legacy. Fortunately (?) I bought all the poo poo except Nova years ago.

Same and same.

Pity that the last mission is such a goddamn letdown.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

That, and there’s also the obvious biggest difference between campaign Zerg and competitive Zerg that makes HotS the worst at teaching you how to play multiplayer for their race.

Just one? I can think of two massive differences between campaign zerg and skirmish zerg and I don't even play ladder. I assume you mean larva injection, but there is also the hero unit that can solo the whole loving campaign

fake edit:

I guess there are also the mutations that completely change how unit plays and its role in army comp.

Yeah, HotS really doesn't transfer to skirmish :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
It is an APM sink.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Kith posted:

A very important detail that the Psi Disruptor rundown missed is that it's not the same buff as the Marauder's Concussive Shells, which means they stack with each other. It also applies to Flying Units, which makes it insanely, ridiculously, absurdly useful.

Yep, seeing an Ultralisk (nothing else really lives long enough) crawl towards the siege tank line is always fun. The poor thing is really trying, but it will never get there.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I figured it out this playthrough, because I wanted to delay the "main" mission chain until I do everything else.

To my surprise, the story progressed without it :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The thread moved past the discussion, but I want to bring up the question whether campaign should prepare you for skirmish games once more.

I think it is naive that expect the campaign to truly prepare you for skirmish games, just because the skirmish games WILL have balancing changes that aren't in the campaign (thank god), and it WILL have its own meta, and it WILL have early timing rushes based on the fact that people are generally better at executing a rush than defending them. Still, when I play campaign games, I expect to be shown all the different mechanics for skirmish games, rather than finding out that I just spent 10-20 hours playing a faction that works completely differently when I try to play it in a skirmish. (I am looking at you HotS Zerg)

I don't think I've ever played a modernish RTS game with the expectation that after I finish the game I won't play skirmish, even if just offline against AI.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
My first time around, I didn't play this mission because I didn't find it. By the time I was playing Media Blitz I was kinda over the story and was just blitzing through.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
So I was thinking, if we just skipped Haven completely, could we make Bisby finish the game without Vikings? And maybe pick the air heavy variant of that one mission in the future? :v:

Warmachine posted:

Haven was the original benchwarmer, and it won't be getting off that bench if I have anything to say about it.

Shame about the Vikings though. They're kinda cool. Oh well, the Hercules is about to be obsolete. As if it was ever relevant.

I haven't used medivacs once during my last playthrough, the healing is just too bad compared to upgraded medics. I did some drops with the Hercules, because yeeting huge bioball in like a second is always fun (if not great strategy).

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Winner: Tech Reactors for normal play, Orbital Strike if you're going pure infantry.

Like you need anything beyond the MMM trifecta to steam roll WoL :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Noted, went back and fixed it.

poo poo like this is part of why I'm not bothering to do skirmish write-ups. There's just so much stuff that changes from game to game.

I'd love to have a quick skirmish race overview after the campaign, just to provide a comparison of "this is what units this race has in skirmish right now and how it plays" against the campaign units. Or, in case of WoL, just the old units versus new units.

I recently tried to catch up on skirmish for version 5.whatever after last playing in WoL and :aaaaa:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Hercules's carrying capacity and drop speed is ridiculous, and if there were more maps for drop play, it would be awesome unit.

But we just won the one mandatory drop play map and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
It's not really a spoiler to say that we will fight Kerrigan again, and she is scary as gently caress there (unless you are going for massive levels of cheese with ghosts).

The reason she works is that

1) She is legitimately scary
2) There is reasonable time between her appearances
3) The number of her appearances is limited, you either win or lose.

This mission is silly though, with her channeling making her harmless -> she should've kept her attacks and skills while channeling.