Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Ah, Starcraft 2. Excellent gameplay (especially with Moebius mod) and absolutely atrocious writing. While people were complaining that single player campaign is glorified tutorial, I like how every mission is different and at least tries to go beyond "kill everything that isn't you".

Also opening cinematics for Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void are loving awesome.

Szarrukin fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Yup, art team is that one part of Blizzard that has constantly been top class.

Tenebrais posted:

Although in retrospect Tychus there having trousers on when he gets sealed permanently into his armour seems like it's really going to start causing problems in a few hours' and a few drinks' time.

In Tyranny there was a NPC who was permanently sealed in his armour and it has been mentioned that he reeks of poo poo and piss.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Entire WoL story looks like someone in Blizzard got really fascinated by Firefly.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

SoundwaveAU posted:

Even my first time playing this game I thought Brutal was too easy. Even Brutal has absolutely nothing on the difficulty of some of the SC1 missions IMO, I think the only time I played a difficulty below Brutal was when I went for the achievements, but a couple of years ago I went back and did all the WoL achievements on Brutal (even though they're tailored to fulfil some kind of difficult condition but in exchange require only Hard/Normal difficulty).

There's a mod called Nightmare Difficulty which should be pretty self-explanatory.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

nine-gear crow posted:

Legacy of the Voice is also a perfectly fine game if you ignore everything the previous games established about the Protoss.

It's funny how World of Warcraft draenei started as "fantasy Protoss" but now it's more like post-WoL Protoss are basically lightforged draenei from Legion and onwards, just replaced Burning Legion with Swarm/Xel'naga and Argus with Aiur.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
UNN News Reports is a joke that was was funny first and even second time, but they decided to spread it over entire game, effectively killing it.

Tychus is such obvious Jayne Cobb expy it hurts and his obvious betrayal is one of the worst "plot twist" I've ever seen.

The lesser is told about Jim+Kerrigan romantic subplot, the better.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Cythereal posted:

We're already starting to see, by omission, probably the biggest part of Brood War's plot that SC2 would very much like you to forget: that Mengsk is only still alive because Raynor and Kerrigan saved his life. Raynor saved him from the UED on Kerrigan's orders, and then Kerrigan twice explicitly had the opportunity to kill him but decided that it would be more entertaining to let him live, having lost everything he'd worked so hard to achieve. Brood War had implied that the Dominion was flat-out dead at the end.

I still wonder why Blizzard decided to ignore basically everything that happened in Brood War except hybrids.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
UNN News Reports running gag had one interesting moment with Donny having a BSOD and muttering "I had a brother there" while realizing what Mengsk has done to Tarsonis but it immediately got killed by "mental breakdown is le funny" joke.

For the same reason I hated JJJ running gag in Spiderman: Miles Morales; there are only so many way you can have "bumbling rear end in a top hat who obviously isn't meant to be taken serious talks bullshit about main character" joke without boring people to death.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 4, 2023

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

quote:

Weapon and Armor upgrades are the only thing you have to research in every mission.

Which is 10/10 solution and one of many excellent changes in SC2 gameplay.

I would really like to recommend you all Moebius mod, which cranks the difficulty up (Zero Hour finally has other objectives than "don't fall asleep"), adds some extra objectives to most missions and, last but not least, pimps up almost every Terran unit, not only giving them Protoss-like shields, but also fancy abilities, for example Moebius!Medics can heal machines and set turrets and Moebius!Marines use laser rifles and have self-healing skill.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

BlazetheInferno posted:

The Starcraft 1 LP currently in progress by JohnKilltrane decided to turn Horner into the Magistrate, but that is purely creative license rather than any indication of canon.

Oh, that's why I was so sure SC1 Magistrate = Matt Horner

PurpleXVI posted:

Casualties in the billions within at most a few days? Yeah, someone really loved Warhammer 40k because we're getting these insane inflated numbers getting thrown around that clearly no one understands.

Same thing happened to number of planets - SC1 and Brood War had pretty small amount of colonized planets, SC2 started throwing them left and right.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Omobono posted:

A farseer for warcraft that got isekai-d in starcraft

That would be fun.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Honestly, I'll take WoL mission design over 10x"destroy all units" campaign anytime. Especially with Nightmare mods when any tutorial feeling is gone.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Ah yes, Firebats. Two games, one expansion, multiple mods and nobody managed to make them useful. Amazing.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

Videogame evolution is my favourite kind of evolution, where it's always literally just like levelling up and always makes you stronger or smarter, and can be tracked as linear upgrade over time.

Ah yes, "Pokemon evolution".

Also, wasn't it implied that Dr. Hanson herself is responsible for Zerg invasion on Agria?

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

anilEhilated posted:

So, Medics lost their flash grenades for SC2? The manual seems to mention them...

They got them back in Moebius mod. I know it's the fifth time this week I'm showing Moebius mod to the class, but it's just so good.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

quote:

I'll be honest, I don't like Donny and Kate's whole gimmick.
I've already said what I think about Donny&Kate running joke, I'll just add that if I wanted to see one unfunny joke repeated ad nauseam, I would go to r/hearthstone.

Szarrukin fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 2, 2023

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Rhonne posted:

There is one point in the game where they could have done something interesting with Donny, but because you can do these missions in any order, it doesn't lead anywhere.

You mean "I had a brother there?" moment? Yeah, I hoped that will be some fresh air, but they just turned it into ableist joke.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
There is also a chance that Hanson is making up all that "zerg virus" poo poo and she just want to experiment on zerg stuff and colonists as suggested by that renegade ghost guy who has yet to appear .

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I absolutely love field manual.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
so basically Inquisition and psykers from 40k, with Ghosts being sanctioned psykers.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Cythereal posted:

Because he's an awful racist stereotype and I, for one, have been actively voting to delay him joining as long as possible. :v:

Blizzard surely loves their Jamaican stereotypes. I wonder if they managed to put one in Diablo.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
SC2 Raynor is Malcolm Reynolds expy written by someone who totally misunderstood "Firefly".

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I'm almost sure that at some point Firebats were supposed to be unlocked at Outbreak and Hellions at Evacuation, not the other way around. It still doesn't answer the question "why Firebats even exist if everything they can do Hellions do better".

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I was sure you are linking to GGG 24h achievement run, but you did it yourself, you absolute madman.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
The only use I found for Goliaths is AA support for siege tanks.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Synastren posted:

ed: This thread got me to try to polish off the campaign achievements. Let's see if I can get through them all. Except 500k Lost Viking, gently caress that one.
GiantGrantGames did all of them in 24 hours few days ago. Yes, including 500k Lost Viking.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Prologue campaign of LotV is somehow even worse.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I wonder what's worse - SC2 writing or Shadowlands writing.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Fajita Queen posted:

I can't recall a single part of Shadowlands' writing that I thought was good.
Theatre in the Night Fae afterlife.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
One of future missions has sign that has Polish flag on it, of all things, and "Żywią Y Bronią" which is garbled Polish for "to feed and to protect".

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

ulmont posted:

Yup. minimum of 1500 kills and also holding one spot 25 minutes for an optional objective, but it’s “until the last Protoss falls”.

Moebius mod tried to salvage at least some fun by giving us a possibility to do a suicide psionic nuke at the end of the mission, killing literally everything on map, us included which is at least a little bit more fun than watch zerg and hybrids killing you.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I'm surprised they didn't went with "Mengsk was corrupted by Amon. And UED too. And Aldaris."

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

ulmont posted:

Are the campaigns worth buying if I haven’t played them, and what’s up with the pricing? It looks like Wings of Liberty and the Protoss campaign are both free, I think, leaving it $15 for Heart of the Swarm and $10 for the Nova campaign, or…$40 for the collection which gets me in addition ???

Wait, Legacy of the Void is free?

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Did I already mentioned how I loving hate the fact that they had excellent chance to make Donny Vermilion someone with actual (if small) character development instead of long overstayed joke... but they decided to turn this entire "subplot" (and I'm being generous here) into lovely ableist joke? Yes? Well, then I just mentioned it again.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
And, despite all that, it's still less atrocious of two "Blizzard makes Morally Gray Character -> it sucks -> turns out she was corrupted all the time! -> redemption arc" cases.

Does Diablo franchise has its own Corrupted Female Character?

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Warcraft has its share of Corrupted Male Characters too, as for Starcraft I think Stukov is the only one. Still, none of them (except Arthas, I guess?) has such significance to lore and story as Kerrigan and Sylvanas.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
HOTS trailer and LotV trailer are absolutely awesome.

HOTS itself is incredibly stupid when it comes to story, but my favourite part of SC2 when it comes to gameplay and campaign missions. Much better than LotV and its campaign where almost every mission is "There are (number) (things) scattered around the map that need to be destroyed. Each is guarded by a progressively stronger force of enemies" as Grant has hilariously pointed out in his no death challenge.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

quote:

Here, the opening mission consists of Kerrigan throwing all the good will the Umojans are showing her back in their faces by trashing their place just to prove a point.

I mean, she was literally their lab rat.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Carbot version of HotS intro which explains what happened to that Battlecruiser falling off the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't believe the writers were coming from that angle, but if they toned down the true love poo poo and focused more directly on him being her anchor to humanity, the scenes so far would work largely as written.

Yet another case of potentially good story ruined by people unable to comprehend that man and woman can have a significant relationship without being in love (and by many, many other things, but you know what I am trying to say). One of things I really liked in "Honor amongst Thieves" is that there is absolutely no romantic tension between Edgin and Holga and still their relationship is deep and meaningful.

I'm sorry for offtopic, amatonormativity in culture is my pet peeve.