Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jaete posted:

Hey friends, asking for advice again. A friend of mine has been living in London for many years. Some five years ago he didn't have much money, so he asked the council for some mercy on the council tax. As I understand it the council reduced his council tax to zero temporarily (I think?) and also even paid him some living support or whatever it was, a bit of money each month straight to his bank account, for a couple years.

Of course now they are saying he has to pay back every penny, because gently caress you. The bill is around five grand. He can pay in installments and whatnot but still... I'm not sure on what grounds they're asking for the money back, there was no fraud he was really penniless, and it was several years ago.

Friend called the council and they said that, apparently, HMRC had sent them a letter saying this guy is some kinda moocher or whatever, and that's the basis for the council demanding the money back. :confused:

I don't know anything at all about this stuff, as usual, but the whole thing just seems like bullshit to me. So my question is: is there some kind of charity advice thing that could help my friend here? At the very least he should try to file some kind of complaint or something against the council, rather than just succumb and pay them. Like, at least find out the real reason and real details about why he's being asked to pay this back, based on what kind of calculation.

Super glad I am myself a rich wanker who has never needed to ask any public body here for anything, loving hell.

Being told to pay 'benefits' back is one reason a lot of people don't actually apply for what they are entitled to.

Has he tried Citizens Advice?

If the HMRC have sent a letter to the Council, surely he has a right to see what they're saying?
But then again maybe they CAN be completely arbitrary. It might be someone with the same name that they've wrongly associated with your friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1664209807572598785

:toot:

We're loving doomed

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ironically a bigger party for keir might be his downfall

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hope that *checks notes* Andrew Neil is right that they'll bring in proportional representation and votes for cats and then gently caress off

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jel Shaker posted:

I think Keith is going to have his downfall before they truly take power, stabbed in the back by one of his shadow minister cunts. He's not a leader, but he's a destroyer of stuff, and his job was to destroy the left in the party.

As far as the public goes, he's soiled goods. Nobody can trust a word he says and his promises are worth gently caress all. Will it be Wes? Or will it be (???)

e: There's a lot of cunts in the shadow cabinet https://labour.org.uk/people/shadow-cabinet/

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 1, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jel Shaker posted:

Hahaha nope. 1000 year Reich starts here. 1000 years of the most bloodless technocratic triangulators imaginable while Polly Toynbee and friends smile on the side lines and chant "better things aren't possible"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

forkboy84 posted:

Polly Toynbee and friends smile on the side lines and chant "better things aren't possible"

.... "but we got shops to charge £1 for carrier bags. They're recycled out of dead disabled people. 'Soylent Sacks' we call them."

e: wow. and lmao

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1664379824528322563

He's been whipped by lawyers into repeating the same phrase over and over again, in preparation for the fight to keep the WhatsApp MyCrimes.txt messages secret. I hope journalists keep asking him the question over and over again.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 1, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I've been meaning to ask: councils are basically of highly variable size, right? Some are basically a neighborhood government, others are what a Yank would describe as a county government?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And not a single one of the bastards will grant me the rank of Master

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The council is the local government authority which usually encompasses a city, but I think in london they have several for different parts of the city because it's a big, densely populated place. Up here we have more like a county scale because there's fewer people living in each settlement.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

^^^ IMHO 4G is far more reliable and available than 5G.

I would think it has to be pretty reliable/available by now given e.g. Vodafone are slowly phasing out 3G entirely from this month.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I've been meaning to ask: councils are basically of highly variable size, right? Some are basically a neighborhood government, others are what a Yank would describe as a county government?

North Yorkshire is the largest council in England at 3,341² miles. The City of London is about 1² mile. Also Birmingham has the highest population of 1,144,919 while the Isles of Scilly have a whopping 2,053.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Google Jeb Bush posted:

There's different tiers of council, and they vary depending on the constituent country.

In England, county councils handle things like education, public transport and social services, while district councils below them are smaller and handle other things like planning permission (zoning) and waste collection. In a lot of places these two tiers are merged into a single Unitary Authority that does the work of both the district and county council. Below the district level you have parish councils, which are the size of a few small villages, and have very limited authority (basically they do allotments, possibly maintain a small community centre and organise village fairs, and then whatever minor functions the councils above choose to grant them). But in larger cities all three of these get merged into a single metropolitan district council which does all functions of local government below the national level. In London it's different again, you have the borough councils and the Greater London Authority, so a similar two-tier setup to the county and district councils, but with a different division of authority between them.

In Wales, you have the Senedd which passes wales-specific legislation (Like a state government in the US), and then below that the principal council areas which work like the Unitary Authorities previously mentioned, covering most roles of local government, and at the bottom instead of parishes you have communities, which have either community councils or just community meetings in the smallest ones. Unlike in England larger Welsh cities still technically have communities, but like the English cities, those communities don't actually have councils and their functions are taken over by the city.

In Scotland, you have the Scottish Parliament doing the state-level legislating, then below it are the Councils, and that's it. No local government below the "county" level.

In Northern Ireland, the Assembly theoretically handles most legislative stuff but it's frequently deadlocked and unable to function. Most of the functions of county councils additionally sit up at this level, and local government consists just of the district councils (with again, some of the normal functions of a district council being assigned to the executive level). Lots of stuff in NI is handled by non-governmental bodies whose members are appointed professionals or civil servants, which depending on who you ask could be so that they're apolitical, or so that they function even when the government is hopelessly deadlocked, or so that if people vote wrong they can't change anything.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

fuctifino posted:

.... "but we got shops to charge £1 for carrier bags. They're recycled out of dead disabled people. 'Soylent Sacks' we call them."

e: wow. and lmao

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1664379824528322563

He's been whipped by lawyers into repeating the same phrase over and over again, in preparation for the fight to keep the WhatsApp MyCrimes.txt messages secret. I hope journalists keep asking him the question over and over again.

If he makes it to the election, it's going to be fun to see him die in the debates. The man somehow has less charisma than Keir!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Reveilled posted:

In Scotland, you have the Scottish Parliament doing the state-level legislating, then below it are the Councils, and that's it. No local government below the "county" level.

There are community councils in Scotland, but they aren't legislative bodies. There are also the seven regional transport partnerships that are government bodies but not part of the local authorities.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Grey Hunter posted:

less charisma than Keir!

Woh Woh Woh. I know he's a Tory. But cmon, that's uncalled for.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Keir won't win the debates on charisma, he'll win because the tory base will see A Dark Skinned Man Is Talking How Dare He

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
At least we, the tax payer, will save money on the pair of child size lecturns.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:yeshaha:

quote:

Boris Johnson says he will bypass Cabinet Office and send WhatsApps direct to Covid inquiry
x

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/taj_ali1/status/1664256121404522501?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Well, I certainly see no way this can end badly.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jedit posted:

There are community councils in Scotland, but they aren't legislative bodies. There are also the seven regional transport partnerships that are government bodies but not part of the local authorities.

Fair, I didn't count our community councils because as far as I'm aware they don't actually do anything--at least, the one for my area (so far as I can tell) is a purely consultative body with literally zero power to do anything, more or less just a forum for people to talk to representatives from the actual council once a month.

Maybe that's not the case in other community councils though and I shouldn't have presumed!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How the gently caress do they have gig economy track workers? Surely you need actual loving training to work on a rail line?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I don't think it's worth laughing about. Boris is going to stand down at the next GE and go somewhere to be rich off the back of killing close to 1% of the UK population, and half the people he's throwing under the bus on his way out were going to lose anyway. I'll laugh when they're in jail and not before - so never.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

How the gently caress do they have gig economy track workers? Surely you need actual loving training to work on a rail line?

Agencies

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Don't worry it's about their safety (not important) not the safety of the track (important because me)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The Drake meme but with 'navvies' and 'gig economy track workers' and it's some Victorian sexwrong instead of the Canadian sexwrong.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dabir posted:

And not a single one of the bastards will grant me the rank of Master

I just wanted to say that I got this joke, and it made me laugh.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

You get training, which you ignore whenever it creates time constraints, but it's the standard off-payroll work setup that ir35 governs, which I guess counts as gig economy work in a way?

My sister's partner does it, and having just turned 30 and playing a few sports (and also golf) at the weekends, has the worst cough I've ever heard. My nan sounded better than he does right before she died of lung cancer. PPE wastes time, you see, and wasted time means bad metrics means not getting out on the rota

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65775251

Schofield with an incredibly sympathetic interview on the BBC. I don't know if he has excellent PR people or if the press machinery wants to keep the lid on this a bit, but I think he might be able to pull off a "disgraced, broken, retiring in grief" vibe. Interview focusing very heavily on homophobia, calling it a "workplace fling", and focusing very little on how this child got his job working with Schofield.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

I've been told it all tracks

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He's one of the lads, they're circling the wagons.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah, I saw a Guardian article earlier talking about Schofield's "affair". Perhaps there are better words to describe diddling a young fella

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/TommyPicnic/status/1664419709050138624?t=E_b6jf_tuP9vwuIj3xWM1g&s=19

:hmmyes:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Every now and again I think about how he "came out" as gay by staring mournfully at the camera while his female co-host read a statement in the first person about being a gay man.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Personally I think he should conduct all future interviews the same way.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He comes across as completely innocent, just like Andrew

https://twitter.com/wrb91/status/1664442321729994752

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
whenever i see Amol Rajan i just think about how he made up an award for essays, named it after Bertrand Russell, and then gave it to JK Rowling for her brave and insightful blogpost about being a terf

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

winegums posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65775251

Schofield with an incredibly sympathetic interview on the BBC. I don't know if he has excellent PR people or if the press machinery wants to keep the lid on this a bit, but I think he might be able to pull off a "disgraced, broken, retiring in grief" vibe. Interview focusing very heavily on homophobia, calling it a "workplace fling", and focusing very little on how this child got his job working with Schofield.

his crisis managament ppl have played a blinder; it's mad that his brother is currently in prison for the EXACT same crime and yet he's going to skate on it completely

has anyone else seen a really big push of 'aww leave him alone' on twitter from soft left/centrist types (eg. steve bray) who otherwise have never mentioned him before or since. i assume theyre all just getting paid upfront by his pr people

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/paceyhitman/status/1664523238246948864

Angepain posted:

whenever i see Amol Rajan i just think about how he made up an award for essays, named it after Bertrand Russell, and then gave it to JK Rowling for her brave and insightful blogpost about being a terf
The Timothy Farron Award For Posting Gay Frog Bullshit On The Internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/paceyhitman/status/1664523238246948864

The Timothy Farron Award For Posting Gay Frog Bullshit On The Internet

If they're not going to open that award up to Amphibia fanfic, I don't think there's any reason for us to recognise its validity.