Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not surprised the most self-centered person in the world doesn't think anything of inflicting her habit on a captive audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Rustybear posted:

his crisis managament ppl have played a blinder; it's mad that his brother is currently in prison for the EXACT same crime and yet he's going to skate on it completely

has anyone else seen a really big push of 'aww leave him alone' on twitter from soft left/centrist types (eg. steve bray) who otherwise have never mentioned him before or since. i assume theyre all just getting paid upfront by his pr people

I don't think this is a correct read of the situation at all. His brother was convicted of sexual abuse of someone underage. If the timeline constructed by others is correct, the guy Schofield was having the affair with was between 19-20. Certainly questionable and immoral (both the age difference and the power balance are issues warranting attention), but certainly not pedophilic in nature.

I'm personally more sympathetic to him on principle because I've seen this happen countless times with older closeted gays and lesbians. I can probably count on one hand those who came out at 40+ and don't end up having some form of relationship with a twenty-something year old. They're always embarrassed a year after and settle with someone their own age. They seem to want to pretend that they are that age and reclaim time they spent in the closet. Overall, it is a bit odd, but there is nothing inherently evil about it.

I'm especially concerned with the language and debate surrounding him, as a member of the LGBT community. The right has ramped up their attacks within the last year or so. Currently, trans people are having their identities erased under the argument that their mere existence around children is a threat to the child. While this isn't new, they have become emboldened by their successes across multiple nations and are now setting their sights on the wider community.

This issue, unfortunately, is wider than Schofield and there are legitimate reasons to defend him (to a certain degree), at the moment.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If Schofield's gonna get fuckbarreled for it surely Gove should be as well?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Skull Servant posted:

I don't think this is a correct read of the situation at all. His brother was convicted of sexual abuse of someone underage. If the timeline constructed by others is correct, the guy Schofield was having the affair with was between 19-20. Certainly questionable and immoral (both the age difference and the power balance are issues warranting attention), but certainly not pedophilic in nature.

I'm personally more sympathetic to him on principle because I've seen this happen countless times with older closeted gays and lesbians. I can probably count on one hand those who came out at 40+ and don't end up having some form of relationship with a twenty-something year old. They're always embarrassed a year after and settle with someone their own age. They seem to want to pretend that they are that age and reclaim time they spent in the closet. Overall, it is a bit odd, but there is nothing inherently evil about it.

I'm especially concerned with the language and debate surrounding him, as a member of the LGBT community. The right has ramped up their attacks within the last year or so. Currently, trans people are having their identities erased under the argument that their mere existence around children is a threat to the child. While this isn't new, they have become emboldened by their successes across multiple nations and are now setting their sights on the wider community.

This issue, unfortunately, is wider than Schofield and there are legitimate reasons to defend him (to a certain degree), at the moment.

Agreed. You can think it's immoral and an abuse of power. But it's not in the same league as what his brother did.
I honestly don't think this would even be in the news if the intern was a women. Well that's not totally true, compulsory shots of "Scofield's new fling" at the beach in a bikini, but that's a separate issue with the media.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 2, 2023

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Skull Servant posted:

everyone in the media also just has to pretend / distract that pervy TV execs and presenters arnt also doing the exact same stuff to young women trying to make it in the industry also

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jel Shaker posted:

everyone in the media also just has to pretend / distract that pervy TV execs and presenters arnt also doing the exact same stuff to young women trying to make it in the industry also

Schofield said in his interview that this sort of thing happens with straight people all the time and nobody says anything. He's definitely hinting that he can slip out a few names if he's not let be.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
With Schofield, a big part of the story is they've known each other since the younger guy was 10, so there is a legit grooming angle. I think a few queer people in this thread also said it passes the smell test of not just being homophobia, though it's always worth checking.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Skull Servant posted:

This line ups to my thoughts too. The level of glee and attention from the Daily Mail and GB News on this is very concerning.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

With Schofield, a big part of the story is they've known each other since the younger guy was 10, so there is a legit grooming angle. I think a few queer people in this thread also said it passes the smell test of not just being homophobia, though it's always worth checking.

Yeah the "we didn't start shagging until he was 19, honest" comes from schofield himself. IIRC there were rumours he was seen being far too close to him already when he was 15.

Then again if the first lady of France can get away with it, well.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skull Servant posted:

So there is a lot to this whole case. There is a lot of information and confusion about what time this happened at and where. Did Schofield make contact when this person was underage or was he talking to him when he was over the age of consent, but still decades younger than him?

To look at the situation in the fairest manner, look at the facts that are not in dispute.

1) By Schofields own admission he lied to a lot of people about what had happened. He is trying to justified why he lied about it, but he has admitted to lying about it. That fact alone means whatever he is saying about the situation now is suspect because he has little to any credibility left. It also means that his version of events ("this was just unwise but not illegal") has to get scrutinised.

2) If you look even at select quotes or clips from that interview, Schofield has the victim mentality of a narcissist. "Do you have any idea how hard this is on me, not being on a TV show?" Or "yes I was talking to an underage person online. Are you saying we should never talk to an underage person online or it might be considered to be grooming?"
This is a other warning sign.

3) Even looking at the rough outline of events, it sounds dodgy. He helps this person get a job on the show, they start a relationship, it ends and now the person is working on another show? And it was all hidden from management and other people? Hidden from his own management agency and his bosses at the TV station.
But according to Schofield, we are supposed to believe that this is fine. Or that if it was a hetero couple involved, then nothing would happen?

I disagree. I think that there is more of a willingness now to at least pretend to take onboard the dynamics of abuse of power levels in relationships now.

I fully accept that the degree that tabloids have latched onto it, is for cynical and explotive reasons. But the "legitimate" media trying to downplay it seems very much like they don't like where the conclusions would lead on this.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 2, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Skull Servant posted:

That's textbook grooming though. Like if he'd befriended the kid at 10 and then gone on to not have a relationship, then fine - odd, but fine. But having a relationship with someone he started to know as a child, spend a lot of time with them, and then loving them the second they hit legal age is the literal definition of grooming.

This isn't an LGBTQ issue and it's kind of gross of Schofield to use that as a shield, given the historical conflation between gay men and pedophiles.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Yeah the "we didn't start shagging until he was 19, honest" comes from schofield himself. IIRC there were rumours he was seen being far too close to him already when he was 15.

Part of my reason that it doesn't pass my own personal smell test of homophobia is because the people I see online saying these things are often associated with far-right groups and are talking completely out of their arses. I'm not saying that this is not the case, but I feel like if there was any amount of legitimacy to those claims we would see something more substantial - someone in the drama class, parents of the person involved. If this is the case, they are definitely being drowned out by the far-right in this scenario.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's textbook grooming though. Like if he'd befriended the kid at 10 and then gone on to not have a relationship, then fine - odd, but fine. But having a relationship with someone he started to know as a child, spend a lot of time with them, and then loving them the second they hit legal age is the literal definition of grooming.

This isn't an LGBTQ issue and it's kind of gross of Schofield to use that as a shield, given the historical conflation between gay men and pedophiles.

Dunno where you got 10 from. And not sure how 19/20 is "second they hit legal age"

In my mind the specific attention the media are giving this is an LGBT issue.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 2, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder how much of this is his nonce brother trying to drag everyone else down with him.

It's not unknown for child abusers to try poo poo like that, either because they are deliberately manipulative or because they genuinely believe that everyone does it and they were just unfairly singled out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That said, I have seen folks familiar with internal media stuff (like Mic 'brokenbottleboy' Wright) dropping heavy hints that Schofield is a mega-predator who's receiving the same kind of legal and institutional protection that folks like Nick Cohen did/do. A lot of nudge-nudge wink-wink 'if we said this stuff outright the British media would do everything in their considerable power to add us to the homeless suicide statistics' stuff. Apparently some NDAs are expiring this month, which may change things enough to justify everyone carefully, politely trying to distance themselves from him while protecting their own reputations as best they can.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Popbitch have been quite damning too.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

So there is a lot to this whole case. There is a lot of information and confusion about what time this happened at and where. Did Schofield make contact when this person was underage or was he talking to him when he was over the age of consent, but still decades younger than him?

To look at the situation in the fairest manner, look at the facts that are not in dispute.

1) By Schofields own admission he lied to a lot of people about what had happened. He is trying to justified why he lied about it, but he has admitted to lying about it. That fact alone means whatever he is saying about the situation now is suspect because he has little to any credibility left. It also means that his version of events ("this was just unwise but not illegal") has to get scrutinised.

2) If you look even at select quotes or clips from that interview, Schofield has the victim mentality of a narcissist. "Do you have any idea how hard this is on me, not being on a TV show?" Or "yes I was talking to an underage person online. Are you saying we should never talk to an underage person online or it might be considered to be grooming?"
This is a other warning sign.

3) Even looking at the rough outline of events, it sounds dodgy. He helps this person get a job on the show, they start a relationship, it ends and now the person is working on another show? And it was all hidden from management and other people? Hidden from his own management agency and his bosses at the TV station.
But according to Schofield, we are supposed to believe that this is fine. Or that if it was a hetero couple involved, then nothing would happen?

I disagree. I think that there is more of a willingness now to at least pretend to take onboard the dynamics of abuse of power levels in relationships now.

I fully accept that the degree that tabloids have latched onto it, is for cynical and explotive reasons. But the "legitimate" media trying to downplay it seems very much like they don't like where the conclusions would lead on this.

All of this is a legitimately fair argument and I do not disagree with your conclusion at all. My main issue is that I haven't seen enough to justify the claim of grooming specifically and exclusively because the timeline of how involved he was in the guy's life while he was underage. Reports say that he was 15 when they first met as a part of a drama class, but how involved were they? Did they just meet the once and then work together? With television the way it is I would not be surprised if he was pulling strings, but we cannot assume that. Tabloids are oddly quiet about that period. It is possible (even probable) that it is due to some sort of gag order, but at this point the Daily Mail is posting photographs from 2017 of the guy with Schofield on nights out. It is odd to me that they are able to publish those but not any real information on how involved they were with each other prior to the sexual relationship.

I'm absolutely willing to be proven wrong at this. The way the industry is generally handled it feels party wrong to attempt to defend him. There are so many bad actors that I don't blame anyone for assuming he is guilty.

Even if my view is correct, Schofield is not a particularly good individual. The apparent open secret about his affair must have been difficult for his family. I assume at least some of the people working on the show are also innocent and now, potentially, their jobs are at risk. Again, based on what is confirmed, what he did was 100% immoral and selfish, but not at the level of the crimes of his brother.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I trust Popbitch more than 100% of the other British press

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do not feel it necessary or helpful to defend media creeps out of some wider LGBT solidarity, nor to be honest do I want to be particular associated with them by way of that idea.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I mean the two shouldn't be conflated, ever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

:pray:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Dunno where you got 10 from. And not sure how 19/20 is "second they hit legal age"

In my mind the specific attention the media are giving this is an LGBT issue.
There was a timeline posted in the last thread, unless I misremembered he first met the kid at a talent contest thing when the kid was young - maybe not 10 but I remember it being way under any age of consent - kept in touch via twitter, got him a position as a runner on the show, started getting innapropriately close as early as 15 and was openly having a relationship with him at 18 or 19.

Whether or not he intended to have a relationship with the kid the whole time, it's still creepy to meet a kid and then later develop an attraction to that person suspiciously close to what was the age of consent for gay men for a long time.

Also I don't care about the math, a 60 year old tv personality having sex with a 20 year old would be looked down on as an abuse of power if it was Andrew Neil any straight TV personality.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It unfortunately would not, but I agree that it should.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Private Speech posted:

When women do it, the right just go "Whooaaaarrrrrrr where was she when I was 14 eh lads eh eh"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Things that are now antisemitic according to Guardian wetwipes: football chants, the Irish, Scotland in general and Celtic in specific.
https://twitter.com/mypalfootfoot7/status/1664570817466826754

OwlFancier posted:

It unfortunately would not, but I agree that it should.
Certainly not from the people going hardest about this at the Daily Mail and GB News, in between discussing schoolgirl skirts and using the atomic clock at CERN to calculate how many femtoseconds until some tween star is 'legal'.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I do not feel it necessary or helpful to defend media creeps out of some wider LGBT solidarity, nor to be honest do I want to be particular associated with them by way of that idea.

To be blunt, I'm inclined to defend Schofield because I've worked with LGBT groups and I've had more than one instance of someone older harm themselves in some way after coming out because they still have deeply ingrained homophobia. My posts come from seeing elements of these people within the wider story and, as a result, I'm more inclined to at least attempt to take him at his word, at least as long as there is nobody claiming to be a victim currently.

As noted in my first post, it is very common for someone above the age of 40 to come out and date someone in their 20s. These relationships are definitely strange and never last, but they are to be expected in a case of arrested development.

Assuming I am correct, those people who are of Schofield's age and are deeply closeted are going to be afraid to come out lest they are tarred with the same brush. They will be far less likely to come out. I've spoken to too many older LGBT people who are at the point of mental breakdown because they can't get past their ingrained homophobia - that now they have come out they will abuse children, or that they can't see their children anymore because their former spouse has that view.

Coming out later in life is incredibly difficult, and while commentary from the likes of the Mail is mainstream, it prevents these people from comfortably leading their lives. I'm more on their side than Schofield's.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Failed Imagineer posted:

I trust Popbitch more than 100% of the other British press

i mean i kind of do insofar as they were reporting about jimmy savile pretty consistently for two decades while everybody else rigidly stuck to the 'loveable eccentric' line

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not really seeing how we get from gay people thinking they're going to abuse children to it being necessary to accept weird technically-legal relationships like this?

I don't think we should do either of them for exactly the same reason in each case.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
little purpose in argueing around the point. we've only got his verson of events; if the lad or any of the alleged others come forward with a different version of events then that will change if they don't then it is what it is.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Rustybear posted:

little purpose in argueing around the point. we've only got his verson of events; if the lad or any of the alleged others come forward with a different version of events then that will change if they don't then it is what it is.

Yeah I'm at this point now. It's not a clean cut situation and if I were to continue talking about it I don't think I'd word my arguments properly. Too much skin in the game and I feel like I'd start taking things more personally than I should.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rustybear posted:

i mean i kind of do insofar as they were reporting about jimmy savile pretty consistently for two decades while everybody else rigidly stuck to the 'loveable eccentric' line

Yeah I wasn't being ironic or anything, Popbitch deliver the goods

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

And Johnson, who cheated on his wife with someone 23 years younger while she was dying of cancer that was probably caused by his diseased cock.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

Politicians never get done for pedoness.
They die, then its hinted at.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

New Darling of Labour Vorderman going in hard today lol

https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1664644820445409287?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Blairites.png:

https://twitter.com/lamentablyawake/status/1664637569458483213?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
When football fans are anti semitic it's not that subtle. Like hissing and singing "spurs are on their way to auschwitz" etc.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

How the gently caress is that illegal lol, it's weird but it's literally a cartoon. Even if it is, technically, by the letter of the law, how the gently caress does it end up going to court? I'm pretty sure I've seen vastly worse on the internet and there is heaps of similar material that you hardly need to go on the dark web to find. I'm not going to test the theory right now but I'm almost certain you could find that poo poo openly on Pornhub or one of the other mainstream streaming sites very easily, and it's not like it's common for people to be lifted for looking at them. What on earth did this guy do to draw attention to himself to the point the police turned up to take his hard drive. Did he have literal terabytes of simpsons incest porn on his computer? What??? If the legal system is going to start cracking down on this sort of thing a lot of anime profile pic havers will be sweating lol.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 2, 2023

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
The Brass Eye paedo-disguised-as-a-school sketch but it’s an antisemite disguised as Britain.

Edit: ThomasPaine has been reported to the amateur hentai gestapo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe in the UK if the characters are underage it is still illegal, and it's been that way for quite a while.

I don't know what the offence is specifically, possibly one of the obscenity ones, I dunno. But I'm sure I remember a long time ago hearing that the UK considers it illegal but the US I think does not. It presumably varies by where you are in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I think the Simpsons porn story is probably fake news, in the original sense