Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Way back when unlimited never applied to non-geographic numbers, I used to use this page a lot to find the regular UK numbers for services: https://www.saynoto0870.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can't understand £800 for a netgear one?

It'll be one of those things aimed at home office and it'll be based on the capability to fail over to mobile when the primary thing goes down. A friend mentioned having looked at something similar. There's a lot of utter bullshit when it comes to stuff in that market segment.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The Perfect Element posted:

police should stop killing

The Perfect Element posted:

police should stop

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

To maintain Michael Fabricant's full, volumous and vivacious real hair like that is worthy of an award.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Two bits of news today that I felt I had to go independently check because they seemed too good to be true!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm saying that I have, as I'm sure we all have, clicked on enough seemingly exciting news articles only to be greeted by the gentleman sat on the bed with his large penis exposed. I loved that picture in its own way, I even ended up disappointed when a link didn't lead to it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OwlFancier posted:

If it's the guy I'm thinking of he was pretty unhappy about that image.

The gentleman I'm thinking of died 4 years before that image found mainstream popularity.

But let's not get distracted. These moments are few and far between so we need to savour them. I love how angry he sounds from the excerpts!

fuctifino posted:

I was sat in the garden, hiding from the internet. I've just heard the news, and all I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Exactly.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 9, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

WhatEvil posted:

But they're clearly just going to both go onto very lucrative grifts and live long and happy lives like all these cunts do.

This is going to be the case with so many cunts, all you can do is the mature thing - take pleasure in how upset they clearly are. Know that they are at least very unhappy right now.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is it not just a strop?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Grey Hunter posted:

My god, the hits keep coming this month, don't they!

Holding out hope for Piss Moron to be properly and indisputably implicated in the phone hacking stuff.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

forkboy84 posted:

And that's without touching upon the calibre of Life Peers, a motley mix of failed MPs, party donors & twats

That's it - just as the unthinking public finally cotton on to how awful someone is, quickly lord them before anything can be done.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I bought the DVD of JAM in university. I loved, and still love he work from that era - I've only just finished listening to all of On The Hour again in the shower. I also saw The Day Today when I was a child, not knowing it was parody, and thought that homeless people were really being clamped (tory manifesto 2024 pledge).

UKMT Summer 2023 - What you mustn't do in politics is listen to people

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Ignoring what the job actually is and whether you enjoy the work, office can be fine. When I last worked in an office I sat with people I liked and enjoyed talking with, I could have headphones on to block out noise, there were good food options nearby, and it was a 7-minute drive from home.

Now whilst my company does have an office, the last time I went there was December 2022 and the time before that was November 2021. The guy I sit next to now doesn't seem to take baths very often and his breath loving stinks.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Take your laptop down the slide and hide in the ball pit.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If there's a problem with backhaul to the exchange it might affect multiple services coming off it. For example if your 4G mast and your regular Internet arrive at the exchange from the rest of the world via the same duct, if that duct gets damaged both may suffer.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I used to work for a wireless ISP (microwave point to point, not wifi) and on hot days there'd be engineer crews sent round the tall buildings in the city to open the cabinet doors to prevent overheating.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

keep punching joe posted:

I will vote for the party who's leader openly mocks and disrespects a troop, gently caress those guys.

Support are troops

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

All this focus on using a game controller when it's what the US navy uses - albeit not an off-brand one.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

One of the articles said that it's got some bags of lead shot for ballast underneath, but that they're attached by something that will perish after 16 hours in seawater. So I imagine it's off on its merry way now.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The greedy, entitled public just need to belt up and accept that they're poorer. End of.
- Someone recently given a life peerage. Or something.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

They just need to recognise that it was never going to be possible to fulfil ALL the promises, given that every saved penny is being spent on the NHS instead.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Don't you remember? Boris had an "oven ready" deal.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Don't worry, they have an "oven ready" application.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Failed Imagineer posted:

I get the general point, but the row of shops next to me has an upstairs shop with old ladies that will do measuring and alterations for like...a fiver a go? It's not Savile Row but they can certainly upgrade a shirt for you

Yeah, and people just working out of their homes. You can spent 20 quid on a shirt, another tenner to get it altered to fit you perfectly, and it'll look better than something off the hanger that costs £150.

The very last suit my parents bought me (and predecessor to my current one, since they're just for weddings and funerals in my case) was taken out and taken in several times throughout my phases of smaller and bigger.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

A fun story about alterations:

I got married in October last year. Since it was a big deal, and since I'd get use out of it afterwards, I got measured and had a suit made for me by Suitsupply. The waistcoat didn't fit at all since their QA is poo poo, so I went to get that and a new shirt altered by someone I'd just found on google maps nearby, working from their house.

She did a wonderful job and it was £15 for both things. I said that she could charge more because it looks great and she fit me in at short notice. She said that whilst she knows she could, she doesn't want to have to pay more tax because she doesn't want her money going to people on benefits.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

MeinPanzer posted:

"UK government and Ofwat holding discussions amid fears Thames Water cannot survive because of huge debt pile"

Ofwat mate

Discussions apropos Ofwat?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

I havent been to a dentist for 10 years and nowhere within 25miles is accepting NHS patients. This is in the North West by the way.

Wife laughed at me for keeping the same dentist in my hometown which I've had since I was 11. Yes it's a 1.5h drive once a year, but who's laughing now, wife.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Surely there's only a limited number of places left for her to open up new pork markets?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

He looks like he's about to compete in the stare off in Big Train.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I thought I didn't like Turkish delight until I tried something other than Fry's. Just like I thought I didn't like whisky until I tried something other than Bell's.

Z the IVth posted:

You could always welcome them in your underpants and have the goatman playing on your big screen TV?

And ask the agent when they're going to make it so the toilets don't flush into the sink.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Chris: When did you read the report?

Peter: The report was handed to me...

Chris: Have you read the report?

Peter: The report has been read.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

PriorMarcus posted:

Is anything coming of the report that Johnson allies bullied the Partygate committee?

I think everyone would just rather that they get on with the job and focus on delivering for working people by cutting waiting lists and stopping the boats.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

TACD posted:

This quiz can get shockingly accurate at pinning down where you grew up, especially if you keep answering optional questions at the end.

I'm loving impressed. I thought I'd try it despite:

1. Moving from Yorkshire to Cumbria aged 11.
2. My mother constantly correcting any accent I picked up to RP.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

a pipe smoking dog posted:

How do you get it to work without getting a new York times paywall?

When I tried to share the code I put into my address bar to bypass the paywall on articles I got a message from SA saying I'd been blocked. It probably thinks it's some sort of attempt at an exploit. I put it in a pastebin here:

https://pastebin.com/Rmg5HD2g

Visit the page, paste that into address bar - a friend said that it worked but I never got the paywall on desktop for some reason. Maybe an extension I have.

Edit: Did the second quote wrong.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 11, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

haakman posted:

Applied for a job via the google listing of jobs. Said 40-60k. Go for interview, nothing mentioned. Get offered. Contract says 25k. Dammit internet!

Was pay not discussed in the interview? Especially if the advert had a range listed.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

sebzilla posted:

How many of those do you use in your everyday vocabulary?

Throcking is the only one that gets regular use for me, I think.

e: also Wimbledon and Thrupp, actually

My whole family uses Grimsby extensively.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

killerwhat posted:

ULEZ is the new London Ultra-Low Emission Zone - pay a charge if your vehicle is especially polluting. Crazies have got worked up about it

Not rhetorical - don't these things penalise those with less money and less ability to afford a more modern car? I ask because I recall reading proposals for one in Edinburgh which would effectively exclude most of my family from being able to take their cars to my gran's house.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Yvette makes a good point though, why hasn't anyone thought to make terrorism illegal so far?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

forkboy84 posted:

What else do you propose?

I don't. I know gently caress all about it in general, but that's why I asked and said it wasn't rhetorical.

If I remember correctly the proposal around Manchester* was that it'd apply to commercial vehicles only - which I assume wouldn't affect individuals as directly, but I don't know the balance of where the pollution comes from in terms of commercial/domestic.

*The scheme where they spent money to put up signs everywhere warning of the clean air zone, then spent more money putting up more signs to say "ignore these other signs because it's under review".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Kin posted:

It's starting to annoy me a lot more that more and more people aren't asking "where all the money went" when the message is being started that there is no money to give.

It annoys me more that they think (possible accurately) that folks will just lap up the excuses of "Russia"/energy prices/COVID.