Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Anyone have experience with dongles or mobile routers for internet when travelling? We're driving to the UK in the summer and travelling around a bit while there, and my partner needs to be able to do video meetings. I know that nothing short of satellite internet is going to reliably get her online if we're out in the Highlands, but any idea what's good for areas with 4G/5G connectivity? When I search half of them are devices you rent and pay some ridiculously high daily rate for access, but I'm after something we can buy and put in our own SIM card with more reasonable data rates. I did find an £800 Netgear 5G device that fits the bill but that seems a bit steep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks. I'm honestly not sure if the MiFi style hubs are any more reliable or effective than just using the phone as a hotspot, but she really doesn't want to drop out or have bad connection during a meeting so I'm trying to figure out the best method. Maybe a thing that can take an external antenna is helpful there. Is 4G reasonably widespread and dependable in the UK now? When I last lived there it was often pretty spotty outside of cities (and sometimes even inside them).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks a lot for the all the mobile Internet posts, they're really helpful!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tesseraction posted:

The Telegraph is still under the ownership of those wierdo replicant brothers right? Easy to assume the billionaires don't care about saving money on energy bills.

It is but one of them died.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Shyrka posted:

All those people on that island wouldn't have been eaten if they'd had a bathroom inspector regularly checking the dinosaurs' genitals.

IIRC in the film the bathroom inspector gets eaten along with the bathroom.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
London has Boris' water cannons to cool people off.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

It's the venture firm that makes its money pumping cryptocurrency scams, who've realised the British Government are the last organisation on the planet that still thinks cryptocurrency is the cool new cash of the future and are here to scam them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They missed the real proper macho binmen of yesterday, cheerfully hauling 40-50kg or more bins on their bent backs.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Working class and upper class do it the 'traditional' way (with the main difference the number of vestigial forklets off to the side), middle class uses sporks and other weird poo poo they got on kickstarter. Same as U and non-U English.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I wonder if they at least saw any cool fish before they got imploded.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

fuctifino posted:

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I watched that video three times, and I just got even more confused each time I watched it.

Here's another gem from tonight's QT

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1671978186521845773

I think it was, in theory, possible for EU citizens to almost immediately claim JSA if they had a right to reside in the UK for other reasons than jobseeking and would normally have satisfied the other requirements for benefits. Obviously this was a reciprocal arrangement where UK citizens in the EU could also receive (often considerably more generous) benefits there. Presumably since Brexit that no longer applies.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Google Jeb Bush posted:

a friend of mine and her parents decided to go from permanent residency in the US to citizenship two thirds because of Brexit and one third because of Donald Trump

she's still livid that she doesn't have a fully schengen ready passport anymore

(also her parents immigrated to Britain from Egypt so I bet a bunch of these shitters would respond "good, we don't want browns here")

I looked into it one time and if you don't have grandparents with helpful nationalities or a big stack of cash to buy your way to a passport, Poland is the EU country with the shortest residence requirement for citizenship - 3 years, 2 if married to a Pole. They even allow dual citizenship! However, you also have to learn Polish so practically speaking it's impossible. And it's not the greatest country in which to be non-white.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
When I worked in a charity shop the secret back room was where the kettle was and the secret upstairs room was where they kept the donated clothes too gross to sell.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I assume the most senior staff had a cleansing ritual involving a bonfire every now and then, or possibly just hazardous waste pickup wasn't very frequent.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You can explain memes by giving someone a copy of "The Selfish Gene" along with a printout of the best of Dick Dorkin's tweets.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Finally a sensible plan to improve council funding.

Orkney council to look at proposals to become territory of Norway

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Comrade Fakename posted:

Caitlin Moran is BACK! with a book that is this time about men. According to this absolute slating, 13 pages in she says: "I couldn’t think of any book, play, TV show or movie that basically tells the story of how boy-children become men.” She literally cannot think of a single coming-of-age story about a boy. Not, for instance, About A Boy. Or Boyhood. Or around one billion of the world's most popular stories and film/novel/TV/comic book franchises.

I'd suggest she read/watch Dune, but I suppose that's technically the story of a boy becoming a man becoming a god becoming a genetic memory of his son becoming a huge psychic worm.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Both Labour and Tories think that what the country needs is some One Weird Trick that will help fix everything meanwhile everyone is crying out to hear "we'll spend money to fix the big problems" because people recognise the current situation is hosed from funding, not some nebulous lack of reform.

They aren't really sure why the Bank of England has an expensive contract with a private company to operate the big money printers it used to own, but they're pretty certain it's not so the government can spend that money on solving the country's problems.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
and another thing: im not going to make anything better. please dont put in the newspaper that i'd make things better

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's a reference to this beloved classic computer game.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Since the papers all have big lists of which TV personalities are nonces, maybe the could compare notes and just publish the names of everyone who they don't have dirt on? It would save us all some time rather than just coming out with a new scandal whenever there's a slow news day.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's only a bit of confetti, he'll be alright.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

But then you'd just get into "do grass and arse rhyme, and if so how?" chat.

wtf in what southern accent do pour and poor sound the same?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Say what you like about the SNP's own policies, "What's the point of Labour?" is at least a question that resonates with voters.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The BBC or whatever site isn't necessarily building up that personalised a profile for you. It might not be "this perv always clicks on the A level results stories with teen girls in the main photo", it might just be "our profile shows that this user is a British male aged 18-35" and assumes the rest.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I thought they were taking their policies directly from Tory leaflets?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
London isn't the worst city in the UK but as a capital city of 10 million and the shining symbol of England, and given all the money and media attention it gets, you'd think it would be a lot better.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's probably top 5 among English cities but have you seen some of the competition?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Gonzo McFee posted:

Glasgow is better.

Finally a good take on London.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The central belt has some of the same problems as London in terms of getting funding and turning outlying towns into commuter dorms, but at least everyone who lives there isn't constantly going on about how great it is.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I reckon if the thread clubbed together we could buy it and all live there together.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobby Deluxe posted:

C'mon, if you're going to start a crazed internet commune based on fringe economic theory, at least buy a seafort.

If I understand the latest climate research correctly it is going to be both a seafort and an ice citadel in the near future.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I wonder what Starmer Labour's theme song would be.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sanford posted:

Have you heard The Beeching Report by ILikeTrains?

All fine suggestions. I'd also submit for consideration You Suffer by Napalm Death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z1IGjr2cT0

e:

Gorn Myson posted:

The minority that do enthusiastically support Labour right now do centre on a strong sense of nostalgia for New Labour, so it would probably just be Things Can Only Get Better again.
I suspect this is the actual right answer though.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 26, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The Perfect Element posted:

Increasingly I think of 'best place to live' in terms of which region is gonna be the least hosed by climate change. I don't know if this even slightly possible to calculate yet, but I guess I assume closer to the north or south pole = better?

You can move to Svalbard tomorrow if you like, no visa or citizenship needed. I'm not convinced it's the best place to ride out the next decades but at worst you'll help keep the polar bears from starving.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Some of my colleagues doing the experimental side got to go there to the EISCAT, sadly I was a theoretical modeller so jolly old London for me. Even the one international conference during a PhD-ship which the department would fork out for happened to be in Birmingham in my year. The year before me got Vietnam - I missed out on all the jollies. :qq:

That's a shame, it's an interesting place to visit although I don't think I'd want to be there long term. I've really no idea what EISCAT are doing but their installations are very cool looking, I've been to all their sites except the Finnish one. Skiing around the huge dish and antenna array they have near Tromsø was fun.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The problem is that while I am the perfect driver: patient, courteous, observant and competent, everyone else on the road is a deranged moron who won their license off a scratch card.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's not really necessary that every last child is served by a school bus. Inevitably there will be some who can't use it for whatever reason. But the outliers The Question IRL talks about are not an argument against improving public transport and discouraging car use - if you take 90% of the school run cars off the road then you've done a lot to solve the problem and the roads become better for the 10% who absolutely have to drive their kids in as well.

You do really have to do the improving public transport bit though, and ideally do it before you start wielding the stick against drivers.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Had to drive to Glasgow today and they've put in an LEZ since I was last in the UK. I'm raging, Sadiq Khan has gone too far this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I saw a woman and two kids riding one of those little two-wheel horse carts along the road yesterday. Looked pretty fun imo.