Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

It's also one of the big steps towards dismantling the safeguards that prevent bringing back the death penalty in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So, how long before you see newspapers or journalists on social media, quote or paraphrase Henry VI, Part 2. (Act IV Scene 2)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

This just gets better and better. An excel doc with a “top secret undercover agents” column lol

https://twitter.com/sjamcbride/status/1689537540355690496?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

And the situation has gone from bad to worse.

Dissident republicans claim to have information after PSNI data breach, Chief Constable says

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

If the documents were sent to the wrong address and he said nothing, he could have happily ignored them and basically forced Fox to prove that he got notice of them.

This led to a slightly farcical situation where you would have your client come to court, and you'd tell them to go sit in the restaurant outside the court with their mobile phone on, while you went into the court to argue on their behalf. Because if they went into court, they were deemed to have accepted service, and if they stayed at home they ran the risk of having a warrant issued for not coming to court. So you had to do this balancing act where you appeared for them, but they were close enough to be brought into court if thee judge ruled against your arguments on receiving the summons.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

xtothez posted:

He might have been onto something.

So Boris Johnson was driving the digger used to demolish the wonky pub?
How deep does this conspiracy go?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

DreddyMatt posted:

Seems incredibly dangerous. Gotta remain perfectly still getting sucked while someone holds a straight razor to your throat.

I'm fairly sure that there was QTE for this exact scenario in Shenmue 2.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

A couple of months ago I had a young couple ask what the legal requirements were to set up a barbershop.
And while I didn't have the answer to hand (I ultimately sent him over to the Local Enterprise Office as they help people start businesses) my limited research indicated he would need stuff like Insurance and some sort of accreditation. Like it really didn't seem like all he needed to start a barbershop was a building and some scissors.

Who knows.
Maybe their is just a low level of requirements for entry into the industry not no requirements.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Get Gibbo, Ricey, Burnsy, Cheeks, Josh and Morty on the blower, NOW! They'll have the inside track on this sabotage story.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

In relation to the Letbay case, some or the reporting mentions that she was subject to disciplinary proceedings, which she successfully appealed.
It's possible that this meant management felt gun-shy about going after her again.
That being said, the police did investigate her after she appealed her disciplinary proceedings, so who knows.

In relation to leaving things on top of cars, I put my phone (with my drivers licence inside it) on top of my mother-in-laws car when I was belting in my baby and forgot about it.
The mother-in-law then drove like a maniac around some narrow country roads back to her house.
Amazingly, my phone and all the contents were still on the car when we stopped. See the magnet on the phones case was strong enough to stick it to the car.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gambrinus posted:

I was first aware of the Letby case when she was first arrested about 3 years (?) ago.

I've been keeping an eye on the Websleuths thread since then and have come to the conclusion that the "true crime community" are very loving strange people indeed obsessed with amateur psychology, overinterpreting text messages, and a rigid belief in how people should or shouldn't act when arrested. Also they seem to tend to view crime as entertainment, which is just bizarre.

So there is a distinction to be drawn between "amateur sleuths" and fans of true crime.
The latter have an interest in crime. While the former have an interest in crime...and think they can do a better job than the professionals as they don't have resources, years of experience, or legal powers holding them back.

As for True Crime fans, it is less ghoulish when you understand their motivation.
I learned this from "My Favourite Murder" which is a really good podcast and everytime they do a live show they explain their gig (mostly for the benefit of the staff in the theatre.)
They are a comedy, True Crime podcast. They aren't laughing at the victims, but the entire situation.
The reason behind the show is that the two hosts (Karen and Georgia and in fact most of their audience, which like True Crime fans, is overwhelming female.) fascination with True Crime is a reaction to how traumatised society are with crime.
Women are constantly exposed to the fear that they are going to be raped and murdered.
It stands to reason that a lot of them would turn to studying true crime. If for no other reason (as most people do with tragedies) they would like to study it to discover if there is a reason behind it as opposed to the (often but not always) reality that bad poo poo happens. No moral.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Didn't the papers say something similar after the last world cup or euro loss? Being too young and woke or whatever, despite it being the best result in many years.

e: Men's cup I mean.

While the news papers being sexist and racist isn't a surprise, England getting to the finals of a major cup and losing is, as far as the tabloids are concerned, the best possible result.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

It's a difficult case (which should come as no surprise, it was one of the longer murder trials in British history )

On the one hand it sounds like we have a lot of medical evidence go unchallenged and is being accepted without super scrutiny, since lawyers often aren't experts in this area. (From my experience the best lawyers can rapidly study the topics and understand it quite well, but science is one of those areas where points of knowledge are accepted as being ironclad, until someone exposes them as being built on sand.)
And the British legal system has a history of sending people who are innocent to jail on the basis that to accept they were innocent would accept "an appalling vista." (See Guildford 4, Birmingham 6.)

On the flip side, there is a lot of circumstantial evidence that puts Letby at the centre of a lot of deaths. Evidence which the jury would have had a lot of time to weigh up.

And from my own professional view?
I can't quite marry the idea that this is someone who is being singled out for being an odd person in the wrong place at the wrong time.
For that to be the case, she has to be suffering from a mental illness to such an extent that she writes reems and reems of notes seemingly confessing to the crime, follow the family of the deceased babies on social media, but still be perfectly competent to do a demanding job without endangering any childs life.

Oh and she is also confident and determined enough to give evidence at this trial for days on end*, enduring cross examination, but after being convicted, she refuses to be brought to court to hear from the parents of the victims.
That adds up to a very weird set of behaviour.

Then again, I freely admit that I can make judgments about people that I'm very slow to shake. Like I still believe Amanda Knox was involved in the murder of Meridith Kercher.

*= During which she was caught in a number of lies. That alone is a very bad look in any criminal trial.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if i had been wrongfully convicted of something despite protesting my innocence I would also not want to then go and listen to people talk at me after the fact. At that immediate point I am simply checking out of reality because it has irredeemably hosed my life up, so that behaviour specifically would be extremely understandable to me.

You'd think that, but my experience having been involved in a lot of criminal trials, when people are convicted, they turn up for their sentence. Even in cases where their instructions are that they do not accept the verdict of the court and intend to appeal, they still sit there and listen to the victim impact statements/family of the victims and the judges sentences.
Of the top of my head, the only time I can remember it not happening was twice. Once where the person had obvious mental health issues and had fired his own counsel and then punched the prosecuting counsel during the case.
And the other person was running a Freeman of the land argument after firing his counsel.

It is so rare an act as to be note worthy.

Guavanaut posted:

No that's the new version of not guilty.

It seems likely she did something very bad or at very least negligent, that's why I've stayed away from the more conventional criminal part, it's more an example of multiple failings in the creaking English court system.

Like the two tier justice. If she'd had a fancy London law firm instead of one who forgot they could have expert witnesses she could have had hotshot endocrinology researchers and environmental engineers to challenge the errors of the old doctor and talk about the surrounding failing hospital.

Cuts to legal aid not withstanding (and there is absolutely a discussion about how the legal aid system needs better funding. In all parts of the UK and in Ireland and probably the whole world.)
Even if she had the best lawyers in the world, they can only act on her instructions. And if she makes decisions like "social media stalk the families of dead babies" or "gets into the box to give evidence and gets caught lying", her case collapses.

This is one of those big issues when assessing cases that no ammount of "moar lawyers" can fix. (See how Donald Trump is having this problem over in his thread.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

It wasn't insured, by the way, because Musk proudly declared he'd never crash it. Technically he was correct. The best kind of correct.

This was the one and only Elon Musk vehicle that, before a crash, the computer would take over driving and assume responsibility for the crash.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm curious as to why this is. Defiance? A sense of obligation, that they'll endure the injustice if it helps the victims feel better (I can see someone trying to find some meaning that way in what must be an unbelievably horrific situation)? Just being told by their barrister that it looks good to attend and you really want to look good in general for any appeals or if it comes to it, for the prospects of parole?

Obviously, every case is unique, so I couldn't tell you why.

But at a guess, here are a bunch if theories.

1) If the sentence doesn't have a mandatory minimum level, you want to show up since not showing up is a surefire way to be hit with the maximum.

2) By attending, you can actually hear what is said and not have to rely on hearsay as to what was said.

3) It is the done thing. Like everyone else has done it and conformity when it comes to systems is a big part of the human experience.

4) The person is a narcissist/psychopath/sociopath. They have to attend because why wouldn't I? (Interestingly, this is also one of the main reason why someone might decide that they won't attend.)

5) It will draw attention to yourself. And then other prisoners/prison guards might decide to beat you with rolled up copies of the Radio Times.

As I said, in my experience, it is so rare as to be note worthy.

(The only thing that is similar is if people are convicted or plead guilty and released on bail before their sentence. This does happen, and even then, most of the time, they do show up for their sentence. Even if there is a logical , albeit very foolish incentive not to attend the sentencing.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

I always worry that my music is turned up too loud or that one of the dogs is barking like an rear end in a top hat when in reality it’s probably fine.

My neighbours have a thousand children who spend all summer outside screaming, so they’re presumably indoors screaming the rest of the time and I never hear that.

There is a bit of a difference between an adult playing music too loud and children screaming.
Like one of these things is easier to sort out then the other.

I'm conscious if this since my wife has repeatedly started giving out to me for being too loud when talking to her, which is probably because my hearing is a lot worse than I think it is. So I am doing my best to reduce the volume of my radio in the car and my own voice. Since if she thinks I am too loud, other people probably do but are too polite to say so.

On the flip side, with a toddler, it often takes a minor miracle to convince them to operate at any volume setting lower than 70%.

Anyway, the point I'm making is adults can try their best to be less loud. It isn't that hard.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gort posted:

Yeah, a cigarettes-style mandatory message on the product seems like a better way to go.

Okay, do you mind explaining what sort of mandatory message you want put on baby formula?

I'm interested in hearing this since I have seen a number of similar takes on social media about baby formula for many reasons. Be it people justifying why it's okay for money off vouchers not to apply to it, or people justifying why baby formula has all the extra layers of security tags on the containers "because people often shoplift the formula to sell it on to the Chinese for profit."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Troll Football sounds like a budget Amiga title you'd find in the big bin in Woolworths.

Amiga Power - 72% in huge letters on the front.

Funny you should say that.

Amiga Power in one of their later issues talked about 73, being "the real number of the beast."

Basically, they were saying that if a game was duff, but the magazine didn't want to piss off the publishers by being too truthful, they'd give the game 73%. A score that objectively seems okay, but won't be too high.

Currently listening to the Games Master retrospective podcast, a whole lot of game magazines were handing out scores of 73% to games that look pretty duff to my modern eyes.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

TwoShanks posted:

Amiga Power also had an ongoing feature that compared their review scores with other magazines and highlighted which were "World Exclusive" or similar. AP often gave bad games sub-20% scores.

The One Amiga was the main 73% merchant.

That's very true. AP were of the only reviewing magazines I can think of that ever gave out review scores of 5% (Rise of the Robots), 2% (International Challenge Rugby), and I think even 1%. (Not sure what game, but it was in like the last or second last issue.)

They had a saying which always stuck with me.
"There is no point in using a percentage based review system if you aren't prepared to use every point on that scale."
And it stuck with me, particularly when you saw how other magazines would never drip below scores of 70% for bobbins games if they had a relationship with the publishers.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

And because these magazines relied on early access copies to review, giving a bad review was a good way to get cut off by a publisher, which tanked your offering.

While review industry was/ is? bent like that.

It's a problem with the review industry. Nominally, the purpose of your job is to be honest to allow the public to make an informed decision about if it is worth while buying the product.
But to stay competitive and maximise profits you rely on exclusive access. The only way to get exclusive access is to keep the industry sweet which you do by compromising your integrity.

As much as Gamer Gate was just an excuse by a bunch of people to be sexist, there was one point that they came back to which was accurate.
Namely that in the video game review industry, there was a very limited career progression path.
One of the only ways out was to join the game companies you were reviewing as a PR person. So very often, journalistic integrity would become compromised by journos who knew that enough glowing reviews might get them a big paying job with a gaming company.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

kingturnip posted:

Imagine spending years sucking off videogame PRs so that you can get a new job sucking off Bobby Kotick

Unless that's your kink, ofc. No kinkshaming here

On the flip side, try and remember what the video game magazine industry was like in the 90's. A constant stream of magazines living and dying.
Just think, you are a young journo, you bag a job at a brand new magazine representing a cutting edge games console.
And after eight months, CD-I Format magazine folds when the console flops and you are out of a job

I can see people craxlving the job security that they would imagine the video game industry would bring.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh I'm sure it is now, I just meant around the time that the focus shifted from 'buy a magazine with a CD on the cover' to 'look at the website for free,' there also seemed to be a general shift in the tone of reviews. The very late 90s, early 2000s sort of era.

I suspect it was probably that gaming started to get big enough as an industry that investors and corporatisation started to change things on both ends - the mag publishers buying each other out and demanding they do 'proper' journalism to compete with the growing monster that was IGN, and the game publishers starting to demand pre-release contracts and revoking access to the more troublesome reviewers.

I'd be interested to hear more because that was how it seemed from the outside looking in.

Something that touched on this topic was this podcast I listened to called GamesLife.

It was a podcast by Rik Henderson. He was a video games journalist but also became heavily involved in the 90s TV video games genre. (He worked on GamesMaster and Games World, and a bunch of other TV programs about computer games.)
He interviewed a couple of different people but one show had him interview Mike Channell, who is one of the hosts of popular YouTube series OutsideXbox. (Mike was also a video games journalist before he made the leap over to creating video content.)

The most interesting part of the podcast was them talking about the industry and the different approaches between how things were done in the 90's and the 2012 to present day.

In particular, Rik talked about how in the 90's journos would go to the big shows (E3, CES, the Future Entertainment Show) and spend the day getting material and all night partying with the games companies.
(One brilliant story had one journo who would collect all the advertising material from the floor of these shows, put it in a gym bag, ship that back to the UK, then spend the rest of the week drinking on the magazines expense. Fly home, find the bag with all the material had been sent to him and write all his impressions based on these flyers.)

Where as Mike makes the point now if computer game reviewers/previewers go to these showd, they are shooting footage during the day so when they go back to their hotel room at night they are editing the footage to release it online ASAP.
It really highlighted one crazy difference between the two worlds.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

DreddyMatt posted:

Love a system where you can run a company as dodgy as possible, avoid all fees, then wrap it up before you have to make good on any warranty, and then open company b the next day with no negative outcomes.

Real good poo poo.

But you burn down one Wonky Pub for the insurance money and they never let you hear the end of it!

BTW I saw this story this morning and something popped out for me.

Varadkar was told to prepare for 'controversial traditionalist views' ahead of Jacob Rees-Mogg meeting

What was the thing about Bowler hats?
Was it another Borris Johnson buses thing designed to defeat the Algorithm. And if so what stomach churningly horrible thing were Tories doing with Bowler hats?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

JRM is trying to bury his early career starring in Mr. Ben-themed XXX parodies

I think that one just missed the cut from being included in Bell X1's song about Mr. Benn.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you knew anything about the UK consulate/embassy services even if you are a British citizen you wouldn't be in the least surprised. (Source: me in a revolution plus hundreds of comments submitted to a Special Committee about 10-11 years ago about British Embassies around the world!

Suffice to say when we were travelling out into the White Desert, the Egyptian army/police guys said 'if you get kidnapped tell them you're Canadian because they know the British & American embassies DNGAF but Canada moves heaven & earth'. (Canadians may have a different take on that!)

On a similar vein even before Brexit, Brits were advised that if they could get an Irish passport before travelling to do so. As if you were kidnapped, you were more likely to be released if your captors thought you were Irish rather than a Tan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

A year of volunteering doing hospital laundry in exchange for free further education or a mortgage credit, maybe.

Whatever horseshit slops out of this think tank, no.

National service is to boomers as I Love the 80s is to millennials, something that only ever happened in the background for them but they're convinced it was amazing.

A friend of mine said that there should be a national service, but it should be "work in the retail sector" for a year. Just so you learn to empathise and not abuse retail staff.

Honestly I don't think he's wrong.