Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
We've used a few MiFis back when 4G was a lot worse than it is. One was a Vodafone branded one, one was from EE and we got them from the high street carrier shops. Both came with their own sims but you could open them up and swap them out but this was a few years ago now, I dunno if the ones that they're selling now let you do that or if they're more locked down. Looks like they're about the same sort of price they were, less than £100 but it depends on your budget i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

big scary monsters posted:

. Is 4G reasonably widespread and dependable in the UK now? When I last lived there it was often pretty spotty outside of cities (and sometimes even inside them).

The carriers all have coverage checkers, this is O2's https://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker

MUCH better than a few years ago, but obvs this is them checking their own homework so grain of salt and all that but anecdotally I can say most of the time I don't think about coverage much and I spend a lot of time being rural. In fact I find that 5G where it's available is nice and available but often pretty unusable, I force the thing back to 4G if I'm in a city and doing anything heavy

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
In this land of transphobia and idiocy the magic rectangle in my bag is reserved for things that are a respite from it not more of the same

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Reading has a Black Sheep Coffee which is irritating cos my partner works there but doesn't drink coffee. Although I do have a big bag of cardamoms now so I can make honey cardamom oat latte at home till they get round to opening one here.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
All drugs should be freely available on an informed consent model to everyone but given that they're not, I hope the companies making them are making enough that there's no shortage for the people with diabetes once all the people taking them for weight loss have had theirs.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Mebh posted:

Ozempic was the only drug that seriously helped my wife lower her insulin amounts, start to lose weight and help manage her extremely complex form of diabetes that combined insulin resistance and a hosed pancreas.

But thanks to all the weight loss trends she hasn't been able to get it on the NHS since the start of the shortages and her mental health has taken a loving nosedive.

It really loving sucks watching a tiktok trend destroy the person I love the most and there's nothing I can do about it.

This is what I was worried about. That really sucks, Mebh, I hope the situation turns around.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Etiquette as social shibboleth is entirely middle class.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Selling tinder for her Reichstag fire

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
We're going to get regulations and red tape out of the NHS

Oh cool so you're going to abolish the internal market and make it easier for trusts to hire staff

No not that

Oh right, so you're going to get rid of medical gatekeeping for example for trans people?

No

Huh. Loosening drug laws so people can self medicate with marijuana?

God no

Ok I'm not really getting what you mean by deregulating

Oh, *puts down phone to US health corporations* you know

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
You can get lemon flavoured turkish delight if you don't fancy the whole "having brunch at Lush" thing.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Its like the ones you take on your phone to see if it's a pimple or a mole and then triple check Google Photos hasn't used the geolocation to advertise the latest beauty spots in your area.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Edit: doublepost

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 10, 2023

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Proximity to suffering. If you're a comfortably middle class sheltered commentariat who does the political thing as a kind of abstract debate it's just an academic exercise you can pat yourself on the back and say "look, I'm hearing all views here, aren't we civilized". If you're at all in touch with marginalized communities, people under austerity, anybody at all at the sharp end of the policies that get enacted by these people or the stochastic effects that trickle down from them as society collapses, *that's* when it gets difficult

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Ted Maul reporting

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Kier Knighthood

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

It's like when Babylon Zoo said he wanted to be the next Bowie

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The bits of London that outsiders normally see are the bits that tend to get the money lavished on them though, even if its not to the benefit of people living there, if people even live in those bits at all. There's a LOT of London that's suffering too, just like everywhere else is and for the same reasons.

But the other thing is how a lot of what's now London used to be seperate places and has become London by getting caught up in the sprawl. Places that used to have their own identity and amenities that got pulled out into service of this bigger thing which the area is now reliant on for its survival and you only see ghosts of behind the urban fabric that has built up on top of it. History and communities that waves of capitalism and fashions of urbanism good and bad have disrupted and displaced.

It feels like both these things get lost in the pro London anti London argument sometimes. Like, I've only ever lived in cities that are well away from London and aren't getting anything like the attention from government that London does, which to be clear is a government problem not a London problem. But then at least for all their problems they still have a sense of place. And yeah the answer is vote in a government that makes reparations and stops doing this now if only that party was on the ballot...

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
There's a really good production of the play Accidental Death Of An Anarchist on at the moment, Im going to see it again before it closes. Written as a response to real events in I think the 50s but increasingly relevant in light of the Met's continued record. Highly recommend it if you have a chance to catch it, think it's on till September

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I'll believe this kind of poo poo regressive policy is pointing to a karmic defeat when I see some kind of pushback from the "sensible centrists" that he's courting by painting targets on people like my back to triangulate his way into number 10. So far I'm not seeing it, and believe me I'm looking.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

smellmycheese posted:

90s election rememberers. Is it just nostalgia-posting to think that Blair could, at least, answer media questions in a coherent manner and defend his positions and ideology in a reasonable way?

IIRC Blair tended to answer them in a kind of informal conversational style that people really hadn't seen someone in his position do on telly before and it seemed to wrongfoot them into accepting whatever position he was going for at the time. Like you could see people going "huh, he's really thinking this through and just talking like a human being" rather than seeing the sleight of hand that it was stage-management dressing up liberal both-sidesism as the reasonable voice in a media circus.

Its grimly funny that the success of Farage and Boris were both put down to basically the same thing, I guess in Boris's case it was that effected incompetence thing, Farage it was just doing it in reverse by pumping boomers so full of fashy slogans there's an element of recognition there "oh he talks like us" and all that.

A lot of people saw through Blair's shtik at the time (I didn't) and he only pulled it off in those early campaigns, once the Iraq war happened the Kayfabe dropped.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
"We don't know how to solve the country's problems. Anyway, vote for us. Please? Its our turn"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Crystal Thenis posted:

constant movement for any developing kid is a bad thing. these kids suffer and the wheel keeps turning.

Middle class family flips a house every few months to climb the property ladder and the kids get pulled behind them from school to school.

But ah ... I bet that's different

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Maximum Pepsi posted:

I know how I learn, I guess I can only speak from my own experience. but someone yelling/scolding me makes me want to do the opposite of whatever.

No-one likes to be scolded but that is a very juvenile response, it's like a kid folding their arms and stamping their feet at being told to do something they don't want to do.

And yeah maybe, in the abstract, people yelling at you aren't explaining things in the most helpful way for you personally to learn, but we're not living in that abstract world. We're living in a world where the people on here you're demanding patience of to explain things better are the people whose lives are being put in danger by the authoritarian machinery right wing governments like ours are just itching for an excuse to build. Sure it sucks your take on GRT people or whatever gets a plate of cold sick response but for a minute think about how much that actually matters when you put it up against they've done to immigrants, travellers, LGBT folk.

You do you but if people seem angry at what you say and a "wait a minute, maybe I'm being a loving idiot here" response doesn't kick in somewhere then I don't know what to tell you

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

DreddyMatt posted:

While you're at it, might as well pick and choose which other parts of the social contract you want to apply to you.

God, imagine the society we'd be living in if people did THAT

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

He looks like the exact moment you realise you've poo poo yourself caught on a rolling shutter

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
It never really went away but it does seem to be hitting people that I know recently. One very small silver lining to my whole "the immunosuppressants that have been successfully treating your condition for ten years have suddenly stopped working" thing that took me down last month mean I'm being switched onto a different set of them that apparently doesn't leave me quite as vulnerable to it so maybe I can get through this current wave of Covid without catching it again.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The best era of games magazines was when they came with a cover CD. Back when your home internet if you had it was terrible and they just went hog wild packing the thing full of every game demo and utility they could find, most of which were useless but by gosh it felt like CONTENT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

crispix posted:

prior to this epiphany, chitchat magazine reader Tamara would spend several hours changing her bedclothes by rolling around on the floor flailing at the cover and duvet until the latter went inside the former by sheer chance

In all seriousness the "magic burrito" duvet putting on method beats it hands down especially on big duvets but it crucially doesn't give you any opportunity to pretend to be a racist duvet ghost, so...