Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Tesseraction posted:

Because cultural assimilation is bad?

Sending your kids to school and paying your taxes are pretty loving basic things that people living in a society should do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Tesseraction posted:

That's not cultural assimilation...

You're the one that added the word cultural.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

Because there's different levels here. No-one here argued against traveller kids being allowed in schools, but the problem is that schools only allow children with fixed home addresses, meaning that the kids will have to be abandoned and adopted by non-traveller parents, cutting them off from their community.

Yeah, so give them houses, and their children can go to school?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
What do you think the state does to parents that refuse to educate their children?

I can't believe I have to use the cliche, but we live in a society.

Part of that includes things like sending your kids to school. If you're putting your desires above the needs of your child then you're not fit to be a parent. It's pretty basic.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps we could find some way to allow kids who move around a lot to get an education? Perhaps we could also look at society and think about whether academic qualifications are really so necessary for people to be allowed to subsist?

Well yeah. Let's do that.
If you've got ideas for change, then I'm all ears.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Jakabite posted:

If it doesn’t matter then why not just tell me what you’d like to see done with any travellers who refuse Labour’s plan.

gently caress it, this wasn't aimed at me, but:

Provide housing in towns and communities for people to live in, send their kids to school, have jobs and bank accounts and pay taxes and all that stuff that makes up part of living in Britain.

If you refuse to take that up, then we start applying laws that already exist for the rest of our society to that community.
Not giving your children an education? Then I'm afraid you lose those children and they get adopted out. You have a responsibility to those kids and your desire to live free on the road isn't as important as giving them that education and health care

Not got a permanent address? Then your car insurance is probably not gonna be valid.

Ripping up fences / gateposts and parking on sports fields? That's an arrest or fine. Same for fly tipping

Cash in hand work and tax avoidance? Like we've got laws against that too.

It's poo poo, nobody asked for this society, but you can't just choose to opt out and also expect special privileges.

It's me, I'm the ukmt fash

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Jakabite posted:

Well you’re right on that last point. At least you have the bollocks to say ‘I’d take away their kids and lock them up’.

Overlooking the bit where I said they should all be provided houses I see.

Yeah, if you're not providing education for your kids, and put your desires ahead of theirs, you shouldn't have kids.
Same as we do for other families where there's DA and drug use in the home.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Julio Cruz posted:

equating moving around to domestic abuse is quite something

That's quite a stretch.

Putting your desire to live on the road above your child's needs to education and healthcare is 100% a sign you're not fit to patent.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

Your posts are 100% a sign you're not fit to post. Except maybe outside of Stormfront

Oh I'm sorry pal. Do my views not fit with your society? And you want to exclude me for it?

:ironicat:

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Council estates aren't (or at least shouldn't be) ghettoes

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Absenting the obvious notion of coordinated trolling, it's a depressingly common blind spot among people who think they're quite progressive and sensible but are unaware of, or unwilling to consider that history is full of other people who thought exactly the same thing and still ended up supporting things we now consider monstrous.

So if the topic comes up, it is likely that plenty of such people will crawl out of the woodwork to offer some variation of "I'm a tolerant person but [x] group absolutely deserve what's coming to them"

"What's coming to them" in this instance being homes and education and healthcare.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

I really would like you to answer the question about why you think places become ghettos because I have a feeling it's very important to understand the likely outcome of that policy.

Bro you'll have to tell me why places become ghettos, coz it's a sociological thing I've not studied.

I guess it's where you stick a group of minorities together in a small community and give them no access to services.

That's not really what I'm suggesting though. Creating a solely traveller housing estate wouldn't be good. Getting them in estates in towns and becoming part of the local community is gonna be a better outcome overall.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Now if you don't do that, you let people settle in one place, keep their existing relationships etc, what's the plan for stopping the surrounding people from treating them like dogshit? Because if you can't sort out prejudices keeping people from employment, having a good school life in the schools you want them to go to, general mistreatment from others, then you're going to create a ghetto, a place where "undesirable" people live and which is shunned by people with money and power, it's what happens very frequently with all kinds of minorities.

Yeah, that's a valid point, but integrating with the community and getting along is what society is about. People living and working together and seeing that we're all just people is how it has worked in this country whenever a minority community or immigrants have moved into an area.

poo poo as this place may be, we don't have regular race riots in communities with lots of immigrants. There are no no-go zones in London

OwlFancier posted:

And it happens because, as I keep saying, the problem is with the hegemonic society. You need to stop society from wronging people first because if you don't then anything else you try is going to be utterly destroyed by those same behaviours from society.

I'm all for improving society, but I don't see it happening any time soon, so what do we do in the interim?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

DesperateDan posted:

I want to add something important and thought provoking to my previous london trip report

after I got home my bogeys were all clean and fresh, whereas as a kid I distinctly remember mining coal out of there each time I went

Woke Sadiq's ulez, denying you your heritage

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I will say that I'm a raging unrepentant bigot toward billionaires and all of your woke tolerance will nudge me not one mil (as in thousandth of a non-metric inch)

Another group of people that don't fit into society, and also avoid taxes. Though in the case of landed gentry and nobility they will have been doing this for generations, so it's a heritage and can't be changed

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Lot of people really struggling with encountering opinions different to their own.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Ah, you're right
Things are totally fine as they are.
There's no such thing as society, just do whatever you want.
Break into public parks and set up camp on rugby fields. Anyone with a problem with that is literally Hitler

While you're at it, might as well pick and choose which other parts of the social contract you want to apply to you.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Nah mate, just do whatever you feel like.
Set up a trap house, that'll bump up your pip payments.

Depending on your level of mobility you might have issues outside tho, as people parking fully on the pavement is on the rise. And why not? More power to you.

Stop picking up after your dog, someone else will clean it up, probably.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

mrpwase posted:

I would argue about what the social contract is and how it applies in this situation but I'd rather just call you a oval office.

v christ you are so loving dense

Good point, well made

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

fuctifino posted:

No, you really are dense and it really is a waste of time and energy to point out the many flaws in your 'logic'.

Carry on hating an entire subset of society based on the actions of a few. We get it, you're a bigot.

I don't hate anyone son
I just don't think the traditional traveller lifestyle is particularly compatible with life in modern Britain.
Never called anyone thieves or scum.
Not wishing death on people, unlike other posters in this thread.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Skull Servant posted:

You're advocating for a way of life to be completely eradicated because you are self-absorbed enough to believe that it is inherently invalid because you have had a couple of bad run ins. Cop yourself on.

As has happened countless times before.
We weren't all always city dwelling computer touchers, but society changed and so did people's way of life.

Having groups of people roll up into town and set up camp on school field for a while doesn't really work anymore.

Or I'm turbo Hitler.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

smellmycheese posted:

Ah. We’re off on round 2 are we?

gently caress no, this is boring

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think it's beyond the ability of modern society to provide campgrounds with amenities.

It's beyond the ability of modern society to feed children. You might be overstating modern society's abilities

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

You're the one proposing we need to "solve" people moving around too much. You are advocating investment of resources into this, but what you are choosing to allocate those resources to do is not to make people's preferred way of life easier to achieve, but to destroy it because you seem to think it's intrinsically wrong.

So I don't think your issue is actually to do with the logistics of providing amenities and places for people to stay. Which leads us to wonder what else it might be.

You are selectively hiding behind appeals to the status quo in an attempt to make your desired change seem less significant, and it is not an effective rhetorical method, I suggest you stop doing it.

Aye go on then. Forcibly seize all private and crown estates and manor houses and turn them into free campsites

2 birds, one stone

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

NZAmoeba posted:

Sounds like modern society is really poo poo.

Why do you want to force the travellers to assimilate into such a poo poo society?

Might be better to make society not suck first?

Great idea.
Got any plans?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
First two might be related to the third. Who knows?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Jakabite posted:

Should’ve let her bleed out

The people with open head wounds will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Can't even get graff in English these days. Country has gone to the dogs

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Ah jeez guys. Sorry my posting is beyond the pale.
Maybe I should just make posts and how I wish for a painful death of people I disagree with. Y'know, to fit in a bit more

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Yeah, anything has to be better than this

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
The saddest thing is your inability to conceive that someone may have a different opinion to you.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Mr Phillby posted:

Seems like a culture problem to me mate, have you considered assimilation?

Yeah, like 2 posts above

DreddyMatt posted:

Ah jeez guys. Sorry my posting is beyond the pale.
Maybe I should just make posts and how I wish for a painful death of people I disagree with. Y'know, to fit in a bit more

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Was looking why our asylum barge was called Bibby Stockholm. It's not a Miss Snuffy twee villain, but the company that makes them are called Bibby.

They've got a website, and to the fury of gammons everywhere, it turns out that it's not actually a floating prison, instead it's offering "luxury living", boasting great features such as ventilation.

https://www.bibbymarine.com/bibby-stockholm/

Guaranteed they've ripped out the gym and games rooms

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
I thought you had to be a charity to get a .org domain, but apparently not

https://fight2survive.org/

Guy puts "ex British army" after his name, so people don't get confused. Gotta signal that this is a good public protest, not like all those other jso hippies

E: a lot can change in a year. Did a similar thing last August, but his sole focus was cost of living.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-62503572.amp

Now he's tacked on some anti uluz stuff.

https://fight2survive.org/phase-1
Down the rabbit hole he falls. Phase 1 looked like a fairly agreeable set of demands. Phase 2 is where the internet has ruined his brain

DreddyMatt fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 7, 2023

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Pretty harsh behaviour from your mother in law there. Did you forget to use a coaster?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
No

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
How is Kelvin Mackenzie talking about anyone's career trajectory?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Local government making noises about making it be rebuilt brick by brick using the same materials and not allowing a change of use for the site.
But lol if you think that's going to be enforced

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Wow, good things are possible

(Loosest definition of 'good', but you gotta take what you can get I suppose)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
University conservatives society gala ball

E: "This isn't Google"/"Don't post your search history" etc

DreddyMatt fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 8, 2023