Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Is every bug you find this month a june bug? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

facialimpediment posted:

They've graduated since then - they've made skynet.

---

And it's legit, an article titled "AI – is Skynet here already?" near the bottom of https://www.aerosociety.com/news/highlights-from-the-raes-future-combat-air-space-capabilities-summit/

That Colonel is more talking about how some automation is good (autopilots), but true AI can be kind bad and uh yeah that shouldn't be used everywhere

"if you're going to stop me from doing what i've been told needs done, i'm going to do what i can to work around you", but now with computers and without any sort of morals. fun

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Twitter will remain popular here as long as anyone can copy a link to some news source's farted-out tweet and it embeds here without further effort. The lack of friction helps, imagine if you had to actually copy and paste article text or (god forbid) deal with a paywall.

It sucks but it makes it easier to discuss poo poo off twitter at least.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

golden bubble posted:

In addition to being terrible, Licht is also incredibly stupid. Repeated interviews and press releases confirm he really believes that he can get dedicated fox news viewers to watch CNN by doing some "both sides" reporting, and zero old CNN viewers will resent the increase in pro-Trump pandering. Even if you didn't care about equality, democracy, or human rights, you'd think someone would have gotten rid of Licht for being a massive dumbass.

considering the number of massive dumbasses that also happen to be CEOs, one could argue that it is the natural state of being a CEO

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
is that why it's called a confidence scam? :dadjoke:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm normally as much as a pessimist as anyone else but i for one am hoping this is, finally, the Mattering

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Well that's pretty fuckin terrible.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kazinsal posted:

One of the fundamentalist mormon groups built a polygamist child molestation commune in Canada that was funneling underage Canadian girls to another polygamist child molestation commune in Texas.

quote:

Bountiful's estimated population was 600 in 1998 and has since grown to about 1,000. Most of the residents are descended from only half a dozen men.

Blackmore was found to have married 24 women and fathered 149 children.

:psypop:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

this is a looooooooooooooong thread, but god drat. it just keeps going

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Always nice to have a reminder that better things are, in fact, possible.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How would you even know? The article seems to imply the sub only receives and doesn't have any means of active communication with the surface.

I'm not sure where that came from, because the BBC article specifically says

quote:

Contact with the submersible was lost about one hour and 45 minutes into the vessel's dive, the US coast guard said.

"When the support ship is directly over the sub, they can send short text messages back and forth. Clearly those are no longer getting a response," Mr Pogue said.

so it certainly sounds like it is capable of two-way communication.

It would also absolutely need some way to communicate back if it's doing relayed instructions; somehow it has to know where to go, which you can only determine by knowing where it is.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I was wrong, you'll have to forgive me for not giving a techbro's floating sarcophagus the slightest shred of credit

well, not any more

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
imagine if they were using nintendo joycons; then they'd be drifting at sea :haw:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Do you think that piece of poo poo happened to have a black box and/or any sort of recording inside it, or are we just going to get a picture or two back of some twisted shrapnel and "it broke :("

I really wonder what the gently caress happened because there's so many ways it could've gone wrong.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:stonklol:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

All New Sonic posted:

Look, it's hard to be innovative when "experts" keep telling you you're "doing it wrong"

It's not wrong, it's sub-standard design!

:dadjoke:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CBJSprague24 posted:

If the thing surfaced, did they really not install any sort of ELT or other transponder to say, "Hey, we're here!"?

the only ELT on this trip is the Eternally Listing Tube

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The passengers are "a fine nutrient paste", to borrow a phrase from the old Kerbal Space Program thread :jeb:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Eyes Have It posted:

It's pretty catdrugs that people died on board a famous and fallible testament to man's hubris... then more people (probably) died visiting the exact same spot while also riding another testament to man's hubris in which they had far too much faith, all for the purpose of catching a glimpse of the previous monument to man's hubris that claimed lives... :psyduck:

rich people: we are the smartest people on the planet and we deserve endless riches

also rich people:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/titanic-submersible-missing-searchers-heard-banging-1234774674/

quote:

“RCC Halifax launched a P8, Poseidon, which has underwater detection capabilities from the air,” the DHS e-mails read. “The P8 deployed sonobuoys, which reported a contact in a position close to the distress position. The P8 heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard.” The announcement did not state what time the banging was heard, or what was thought to have caused it.

An e-mail sent Tuesday afternoon from the president of the travel and research group, the Explorers Society, stated, “It is being reported that at 2 a.m. local time on site that sonar detected potential ‘tapping sounds’ at the location, implying crew may be alive and signaling.” The Boston Coast Guard, which is leading the rescue efforts, did not immediately reply to a request for comment on the reported tapping sounds.

A DHS official told Rolling Stone, that as of 5 hours ago the Titan still had 40 hours of oxygen left and stated that the “situation looks bleak,” adding that they believe the banging was coming from the craft, but that haven’t heard any noise since yesterday.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You know, depending on just how strong that deep-sea implosion is, it may actually be easier for the rich man to fit through the eye of a needle.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Okay, at some point, I just cannot believe any more details coming out of this story.

That particular statement (from the tweet you quoted) likely is fake, or at least I sure haven't seen it attributed to any real source beyond "the tweet"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
sounds like they've been dead a long while, at least it was hopefully quick

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I assume the NTSB video on it is going to be pretty open and shut: "ignored regulations, vessel was a piece of poo poo; cause of death, hubris"

E: strongly doubting there is any of the usual standard equipment like the recorder since, well, that would have cost money

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
you know how thunder takes time to reach you from where the lighting happens?

now imagine clapping, and consider the time from your hands colliding and when you hear it, and that was the time it took to go from alive to crushed, superheated paste

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Notably also not compressed

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
at this point my assumption is that God was taking a nice fuckin nap the last however many times this thing went down and only last week realized "you know, i should really make sure nobody's been doing gross violations of the laws of physics" before activating his trash compactor

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
there's no way that's real

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

BaconAndBullets posted:

TLDR: the deep ocean is not an environment for people, but our hubris and desire to explore knows no bounds.

The main thing that made it a "nope, nuh-uh, no, never, no way" thing were the two divers who went way, way deep, and ended up perishing for it; the first one died on their own, and the second one ended up dying trying to collect the first one's corpse.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
howl's moving castle doctrine

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The timescale you're talking for implosion at that are definitely in the sub-frame range, so you would either get one frame where everything is normal and then one frame where it isn't, or at best one frame where there's a split across it where the top portion is pre-crush and the bottom portion is post-crush

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OcIwPx-SCs

16 years ago :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
people will do the dumbest poo poo possible for the dumbest possible reasons, doubly so when it's a holiday party and they're probably also not sober