Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

This game definitely has some gnarly fights. Makes me glad I worked on my renown so I have a couple more potions.

EDIT: After the campaign what are you supposed to do? Roam the open world and kill world bosses?
You are completely free to just enjoy the excellent campaign and then call it a day.

But to continue playing your goal is to level up and get better gear and run harder areas.
- Your first goal is reach World Tier 4. This is where most players are.
- To unlock the next WT you need to beat the capstone dungeon. This one has a minimum enemy level so you may need to level up but beating it at a low level is a fun challenge.
- Simultaneously, run the seasonal quest line to do all the seasonal stuff.
- Also press ‘some button idr’ to bring up your Season Progress, which is a big pile of quests basically.
- Soon you will want to start running Nightmare Dungeons. They level up glyphs in your Paragon Board which you get soon.
- Also a good thing to do is max out your renown in each world area to get the reward, because, this is permanent for all characters on your account, so do it once and done.
- and more, you will find out

I will say the higher level you get the less there is to do currently, I found the grind to level 100 really fun (playing a Barb and watching my numbers go beyond the moon helped) especially playing with a friend, but the campaign was still the best part. Reaching 100 in an ARPG is a big achievement, but once there there isn’t much more to do currently, so I think just reaching 100 and beating a max level NMD is itself an awesome goal and you can call it a day for this season once you get there.

next season (in a month ish) is dropping basically Greater Rifts from D3 so that should suddenly give you a bunch of stuff to at 100, also they are redoing gear and items a lot which sounds like a huge improvement so I will play again just for that

Bisse fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Seconding the suggestion to do the campaign and side quests now ahead of season 4.

Most of the issues being addressed in S4 relate to the end game, and won't have much impact at all while you're levelling. You don't hold onto gear long enough for the itemization to matter, and there's heaps of pretty engaging content to keep you going from level 1 to about 65.

You need to do side quests for reknown anyway, and are unlikely to do it more than once. Once the season kicks off you will be ready to join everyone else as they rush to WT4 in 1-3 days in a mad poopsocking frenzy.

This is the way.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

thirded or fourthed or whatever

the campaign is a genuinely good time if you vibe with IT WAS DEMONS!!

great production value, takes you on the grand tour of the world, and when you're done at a leisurely pace you can fill out your renown and Lilith statues if you feel like it

you'll be set and ready for the new season when it drops (and don't feel obligated to complete renown or statues, not mandatory, you can do it later or never depending on how hooked you get)

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah I retract my wait suggestion. I guess it has been long enough that I forgot the campaign was a pretty good time. Negative impressions seen to stick in the mind longer heh.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ehud posted:

I found this to be a concise summary of the upcoming changes. Talks about everything, shows examples on screen, summarizes what the new gameplay loop will look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HnrfoszF5w

Finally looked through all of this and. This all looks really good!

All the changes seem to be for the better, and the gear improvements sound like a big step forward. It sounds like I will put more investment into my gear and be able to customize it a lot more. I did not like grinding some boss just hoping for better drops, this sounds a lot more fun and Greater Rifts i.e. a dungeon where you just hard kill stuff is kind of what D4 is best at, at least it is infinitely more fun than Reset Dungeons > Crawl through poo poo mobs > Instakill a boss > TP out > repeat.

It also feels like I will care more about my items? They should hang around longer and I will have invested more time and effort into them. Plus it opens up a lot more build customization which is always good. A lot of builds were 'solved' and minmaxxed before but now there is more of a 'gotta make do with what I get' approach to building (unless you're literally insane grinding for getting lucky on all the combinations of gear crafting systems).

Helltide sounds good to. Add more mobs and bosses to helltide? Yes thanks. I did enjoy the zoomed in camera though but maybe im just dumb but w/e

Its maybe not gonna make D4 Best ARPG Ever but each thing here is for sure an improvement. Based on just the descriptions I have a hard time seeing how they would gently caress any of these changes up. For sure expecting a lot of complaining about bone ballistas in the pit tho yaay

Bisse fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 28, 2024

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Thank you for all the advice! I appreciate it.

I've been aiming to get to rank 2 of renown for each area while going through the campaign but I expect I'll be going back afterward to grab all those side quests, strongholds, etc. I'm using a map website to track which statues and waypoints I've collected so it'll be easy to see which ones are left when I finish the campaign.

I just got a free horse but riding it has been underwhelming because the countryside is seething with monsters so I constantly have to sprint and route around them. I'm fine for now with just running around.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Definitely do a guide for the Altars. You can do them in about 20 mins per area so about 2 hours total for the entire map if you grab a good altar map. No shame in wiki'ing this one.

Maxing renown goes fairly fast and I found doing the quests fun, just look for strongholds, do quests, etc in whatever order sounds fun to you.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

MrMidnight posted:

Ray tracing patch just dropped. I see no difference

The character seletion screen is blurrier and has a bloom effect now. Blizzard has done it again

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Do you have to redo all the renown for new seasons again? I really did not like that about 4.

3 has problems but at least it lets you get to 70 pretty fast and doesn't need you to redo busywork for no reason.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"No"*

You get the account-wide bonuses for free every season forever once you've done renown once. As in, the skill points, paragon points, and max potions. You won't have the Gold and XP unlocked at first but those are worthless

Your renown isn't locked in until you actually complete a tier though. Let's say you finished season 2 at Tier 4 and 1990/2000 for the final tier. Log in for season 3 and you will have to reach tier 5 in order to permanently lock in that final reward.

It's still a buy once/cry once situation but you can make it worse for yourself in some rare cases

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I’ve played 3 seasons to completion of the battle pass and I’ve never finished the renown grind because the game isn’t fun enough to do that. I’d say it’s pretty optional and should be removed and the paragon points added to leveling, same with the skills.

Blizzard can put 40 paragon points behind it and I still won’t grind rep.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I did not enjoy the campaign and would not suggest it to people but I think that's the minority opinion so ymmv

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lilith statues do add a bunch of power and I would suggest going them. It sucks but guides exist and you only need to do it once.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

flashman posted:

I did not enjoy the campaign and would not suggest it to people but I think that's the minority opinion so ymmv
I wasnt going to say it but yeah I didnt think the campaign was anything special. Pretty tedious, lots of boring dialogue that you couldnt skip, NPCs that walked faster than you walked but slower than you ran, some bugs, time consuming when I just wanted to play the game rather than reading bad and boring dialogue, ect

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I wasnt going to say it but yeah I didnt think the campaign was anything special. Pretty tedious, lots of boring dialogue that you couldnt skip, NPCs that walked faster than you walked but slower than you ran, some bugs, time consuming when I just wanted to play the game rather than reading bad and boring dialogue, ect

Yea, I agree, it’s better than D3 but I don’t think it’s a bad campaign. It just plays it safe and tries to recreate d2 effect of chasing Diablo/lilith but meh.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it kicked rear end

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Dev Blog for the PTR is out. Together with the 1.4.0 patch notes at the bottom.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/24078324/the-diablo-iv-season-4-ptr-what-you-need-to-know

I see they still have the same people working on the game.

"Yen's Blessing – Unique Boots
Casting a Skill has a 20-30% chance to cast a Non-Mobility, Non-Ultimate Skill that is currently on Cooldown. This effect can only occur once every 12 seconds."

One cast every 12s and it still has an activation chance. It probably can proc Teleport and kill the Sorc when it happens at the wrong time.

Edit: Teleport is obviously a movement skill so they at least thought of that.

lagidnam fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 28, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Patch notes are pretty tasty. Looks like NMD pools have been dramatically expanded. Elixirs reworked to have two tiers with +5%/+8% experience gain. Barbs losing their passive 10% damage reduction. All kinds of stuff.

quote:

All items dropped in World Tier III will now be Sacred.
All items dropped in World Tier IV will now be Ancestral.

Finally my people are free. :911:

quote:

Players who earned a Seal of the Worthy for a given week in the Gauntlet now have a 100% chance of being rewarded a Unique Item.

Experience rewards from completing Dungeon Events have been increased.

"Wild idea, fellas. What if we put reward incentives in our content?"

quote:

More skills will now appear more visually powerful as the skill gains power. Additionally, existing visual scaling has been improved.

Hoping to stop feeling gaslit that I've never noticed a difference in skill visuals no matter how leveled they are.

quote:

Legendary Items and Unique Items can now be traded.

"Wild idea, fellas. What if you could trade loot in a Diablo game?"

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 28, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lagidnam posted:

Dev Blog for the PTR is out. Together with the 1.4.0 patch notes at the bottom.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/24078324/the-diablo-iv-season-4-ptr-what-you-need-to-know

I see they still have the same people working on the game.

"Yen's Blessing – Unique Boots
Casting a Skill has a 20-30% chance to cast a Non-Mobility, Non-Ultimate Skill that is currently on Cooldown. This effect can only occur once every 12 seconds."

One cast every 12s and it still has an activation chance. It probably can proc Teleport and kill the Sorc when it happens at the wrong time.

Teleport is a mobility skill for sure. If not then lol that's funny since oculus exists.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Lord Packinham posted:

I’ve played 3 seasons to completion of the battle pass and I’ve never finished the renown grind because the game isn’t fun enough to do that. I’d say it’s pretty optional and should be removed and the paragon points added to leveling, same with the skills.

Blizzard can put 40 paragon points behind it and I still won’t grind rep.

yeah you can do the battle pass to completion by level 50-60 range so you don't need to do renown for that. if you want to do the season journey stuff to completion solo, there's a good chance you'll need the extra power you get from the points (obols/potions not that useful ultimately).

flashman posted:

did they add an option to skip it altogether? i thought it still had to be done once to allow skipping it for future characters

if you can outright skip it on character creation now, maybe play it up until getting the horse. if you don't enjoy it by then, just skip it and watch the cinematis on youtube

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
woof. andariel summon items only come from beast in ice and lord zir

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I felt it was good for an ARPG campaign (at least compared to PoE and Last Epoch) and it had that one cool cutscene but its no Baldur's Gate 3 or whatever.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's good for an ARPG campaign and they deserve a lot of credit for having the restraint to write Mephisto properly. It certainly deserves a one and done in a Diablo fans lifetime.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
A bunch of the new sorc stuff is just "please stop putting all four defensive skills on your bar" which is honestly pretty funny.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
looks like they genuinely tried to bust HotA back down to reasonable damage levels, a couple less ways to scale were removed and the scalar options cap out at half as much

they wanted to nerf charge pretty badly and it looks like they did. there's now ~5.5 less seconds of CDR you can get, which means you'll have big gaps in between charges but do around the same damage. so worse QoL, not addressing root cause. maybe the tempering will make up for some of that gap if you focus hard on CDR? that's for youtube man to figure out

i haven't played druid in a long time but none of those changes stood out as a big change to make any spec seem fun to play to me. does anyone who plays druid more have any better grasp on those changes overall?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

harrygomm posted:

looks like they genuinely tried to bust HotA back down to reasonable damage levels, a couple less ways to scale were removed and the scalar options cap out at half as much
I hope in nerfing HotA they didnt nerf the rest of the builds you can do with the class...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It looks like they changed Druid roars to he shouts and gave them all the warrior shout buffs so that could be a big deal

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

so is overpower Necro dead now? I loved blood lance in s2, but s3 hit overpower hard, and now it looks like there's another overpower nerf in s4.

this is because overpower was super duper good in s3, right? right??

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kaysette posted:

I felt it was good for an ARPG campaign (at least compared to PoE and Last Epoch) and it had that one cool cutscene but its no Baldur's Gate 3 or whatever.
Thats fair. I havent played any of those so I dont have a good reference point. I was not expecting some crazy detailed campaign either, I just didnt like the large amounts of bad-to-mediocre writing. I do like that Mephisto was written well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

harrygomm posted:

they wanted to nerf charge pretty badly and it looks like they did. there's now ~5.5 less seconds of CDR you can get, which means you'll have big gaps in between charges but do around the same damage. so worse QoL, not addressing root cause. maybe the tempering will make up for some of that gap if you focus hard on CDR? that's for youtube man to figure out

i haven't played druid in a long time but none of those changes stood out as a big change to make any spec seem fun to play to me. does anyone who plays druid more have any better grasp on those changes overall?

The charge change definitely sounds like a “we’re taking away your fun” balance move. Do they really not have the tools to do better?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kaysette posted:

ypu. was enjoyable, tone was spot on w rly good voice acting for a change too. had a couple of spots like the sandstorm that would be annoying if it was something you had to run every time but were nice as a one off to fit w what was happening. also probably helped that during that entire part i was comparing it mentally to this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7pA3Myekk8

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

flashman posted:

I think people just remember the campaign fondly because the game feels good to play at the core, and almost all its problems appear after the campaign finishes.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It was too much cheesy exposition and waiting for NPCs give me out of engine cutscenes and journal entries please.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Some people are probably still soured on the campaign from back at release, when you had to rush chapter 3 to get the horse (especially considering chapter 2 was 3 chapters you could do in any order), and then initially i think you had to do it again on any seasonal characters.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
The most you wait around for an NPC animation or dialogue to finish is a few seconds. What a weird complaint.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The cinematic were 100% worth one play through

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Some people are probably still soured on the campaign from back at release, when you had to rush chapter 3 to get the horse (especially considering chapter 2 was 3 chapters you could do in any order), and then initially i think you had to do it again on any seasonal characters.

i didnt know when you got the horse and i didnt rush to get it either. built different.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Paying2Lurk posted:

The most you wait around for an NPC animation or dialogue to finish is a few seconds. What a weird complaint.

Yes by there's 15 minutes straight of chasing a camel around

euphronius posted:

The cinematic were 100% worth one play through

They're good I watched them on YouTube

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

flashman posted:

Yes by there's 15 minutes straight of chasing a camel around

I liked that the camel would restock your potions and it said "healer" when you click on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

these complaints only make sense in an arpg where you run the campaign multiple times a season/ladder. for a game where you do it once and can skip it forevermore it just makes you look like you have the patience of a 5 year old.