Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I really like D4 but it takes way too long to level another character and if it takes this long for the seasonal characters then I’m out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
After beating the game and some of the endgame is there anything to do until season 1 starts? I don’t want to burn myself out leveling if it doesn’t really matter until season 1.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
That exp thing better change cause I’m not going to grind that much exp again. The seasons are supposed to be super fast to level not barely faster than normal.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I think we are hitting that casual/hardcore divide and people being told to just level again are like, “no.”

Which I think speaks to the fact that you can’t power level like crazy. Leveling another character would be an easier pill to swallow if 1-50 goes by in a day.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I like seasons and I’ll play season 1 but I don’t think there is anything wrong with people not liking the seasonal stuff.

If anything, blizzard should have something for those who don’t want to level again and they can earn cosmetics, because like you all said eternal realms don’t matter so who cares if they make a new character or not.

Or just let people copy their character to the current season but they start at level 50 or something.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I just finished leveling an alt without the campaign and it was nowhere near fast enough unless there is some power leveling thing I don’t know of and didn’t feel that much faster than the campaign.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

First, I'm not mocking you. I'm genuinely confused by "it's a slog to level an alt" comments, followed by "in PoE it takes two weeks to get the basics down". I simply don't understand this because it wasn't remotely my experience

Having leveled an alt post campaign and getting it up to WT4/level 73 with most of the gear I wanted for my death trap/twirling blades build including getting penitent greaves (plus several uniques I didn't need) I can say with absolute certainty it took less than 2 weeks. By that point I was on the loot treadmill looking for incremental upgrades and better affix rolls and had considered my build "basically complete" since then.,

Second, the 2nd poster I quoted specifically asked how long it took to get to WT3. I would add that farming helltides and doing nightmares in between you can get to WT4 very quickly. In that two week time frame I have mostly ancenstrals.

So chill out my dude. I was trying to agree on the goalposts. They've been moving around. Fortunately, I don't think it matters all that much if having the "basics down" is WT3 or 4. It's on the scale of days not weeks.

I disagree and think leveling alts is pretty bad and slow. You just mindlessly grind whispers till 50 and do strongholds. It may not be super hard but it is lame and boring.

Like the 10% exp buff is not nearly enough if they want people to participate besides the super hardcore people who already have someone in WT4.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
D4 isn’t too bad for an MMO but I prefer the pace of destiny or FFXIV, maybe a bit more social stuff and some dungeons we could group up for could go a long way.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
These poor devs look dead, no wonder they are making mistakes, they haven’t stopped working since it came out.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
This game feels way too grindy now, I don’t know what they did, but it feels slow and grindy.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
This poo poo is way too grindy, Why do we have to relevel reknown, waypoints and everything else. I don’t mind playing but it everything feels so much slower than before and the terrible dungeon layouts are driving me loving crazy where I have to go from the end of the cave back to the entrance to take the right turn instead of the left.

I just want to mash monsters and have loot fly out.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Finished up the season yesterday, game is an 8/10. Season is a 6/10. Hearts are mostly lame except the fun ones that are rare drops.

I’m going to be honest, D4 is more fun than base D3 but this game isn’t near as good as D3:RoS. I don’t think the seasons are good enough and the game isn’t fun enough to do all that blizzard wants you to do in a season. I hit 50 and just checked out.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Posting about posting is usually a sign a game IS actually bad I’ve found unfortunately. If someone is spamming about posters, it’s because there isn’t anything exciting to really talk about.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I’m glad this game isn’t that good, it’s letting me play other games, thanks for making a mediocre Diablo game blizzard.

Edit: good bones though

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Lmao, the devs changed their mind on things so fast it gave me whiplash. The numbers must be bad or someone went in there and asked WTF is going on with you guys.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Difficulty is a very hard thing to balance and blizzard couldn’t balance a box on the floor.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

American McGay posted:

I understand the endgame is very rigidly defined and not particularly interesting but you guys really gotta stop exaggerating the “sorting through items in town” part.

Click to sort by type.
Check the power of the top item, if it’s higher than what you’re currently using, see if it has good rolls.
Delete everything to the right of that item.

It takes like 30 seconds longer than just clicking sell all. If sorting through a full inventory looking for upgrades after a dungeon takes you 10 minutes you may be doing something wrong.

Wow thanks, glad it’s just us being bad and not the terrible itemization, unclear modifiers and awful inventory.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I see the celebrated blizzard art team is not working on Season 2 of D4 because both S1 and S2 have garbage transmogs. Them all being the same basically ruins it and any identity.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I mean, if their basis for content is Destiny than the content is a little light especially the yearly expansion that’s coming. The battlepass armor is worse than destiny, destiny offers unique transmogs per class (little leeway as there are only 3 classes) and the seasonal content is generally ok, but as someone who plays both, Destiny’s live game blows D4 completely out of the water.

I don’t think destiny does that great of a job to be honest either.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I have zero faith in the rebalancing after they gutted like every damage bucket but we’ll see, people smarter than me said it’s fine, but they said the same thing about s1.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
What’s the point of overpower, someone who knows ARPGs explain the advantage of an overpower system? Just seems like a bunch of BS to do a little more damage?

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I had so much fun until I hit t3, NMD are really terrible, they take too long and aren’t worth it other than grinding exp and it’s awful. I wish they would just remove the dungeons and redo them all.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Now I’m just venting but the fact you have to get objectives to open doors in dungeons and they don’t show up until you are wayyy too close drives me up the wall as I can’t find the last devil’s scrotum to open the door of demonic butts. And it’s hidden on the corner of the map with no marker.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
As soon as I hit WT3 and they are like go do MMO stuff I just immediately start a new character as the post-50 game is awful.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I need forgotten souls to reroll affixes, I have to grind whispers to summon varshan, grind herbs to get potions and elixers, grind NMD for glyph exp.

That’s straight up WoW stuff.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

kaxman posted:

it's shameful that a t100 nightmare dungeon awards 206 glyph xp. its should not be completely linear from 1-100.

but i think the dungeons are significantly improved this season in terms of layout. there is nearly always a loop you can just follow around and continue murdering. nearly every "dead end" actually has a bonus event in it, and most every bonus event has been fixed to not suck. the wounded guy laying on the ground that you find is loving great now, you click him and it slams twenty mobs in your face, and the last couple waves actually achieve comedy with the giant opressors spawning in every available space. then you win and click him and it just slams a chest down instantly. its perfect.

there's at least one dungeon, i think it's ghoa ruins, with no objective and you literally just run to the boss room and it...kind of sucks. it's great for leveling glyphs, i guess, but it's lame.

They are dreadfully boring, the best decision I made this season was to just ignore NMD’s completely and I’m having a much better time.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I found the season fun and put it down after I finished the battle pass at like lvl 77 and I honestly don’t really want to level or play more as the game just gets more unfun as you get higher level.

I would definitely say as someone who never got to WT4 at launch or season 1 that they did a good job of fixing exp and leveling until the 70s where you are basically set in your gear, upgrades rarely drop and you are hunting uniques and the game just gets worse. Ignoring NMDs is definitely the right call as they are just kinda bad unless you get the fast ones with easy objectives.

The season being really easy also helps but I’m starting to feel like the seasonal stuff is getting old, helltides, world bosses and legion events need another pass as well if they want us in the open world doing something other than seasonal stuff.

The bosses they added are nice but would really benefit from a way to group up.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
They really need to remove all the renown stuff, I will never finish all the regions. The game just isn’t good enough to grind it out. If it stayed from season to season it would be fine as you slowly work toward it but no. They can get their engagement up from me by pointing good content in.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
S3 looks meh as hell. I don’t know what I wanted but everything so far has looked resoundingly mediocre. Hope it plays better than it looks.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh yeah that's universally a lovely thing to do and doesn't really have to do with discussing the game.

I played this season till lvl 35 and I think I’m done, somehow they made a season worse than season 1 it’s almost impressive how bad this season is.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A few months ago they sent out a survey to random people, one of the questions was about a possible price point for the DLC and one of the extreme options was $100. So naturally this made its way to the clickbait circles of hell as Blizzard wanting to charge $100 for the DLC.

I do not believe any streamer has any 'loyalty' to the game they're currently streaming outside of it being easy access to a community of viewers, but maybe I'm just cynical.

Yea, I don’t get the problem here and I’m glad they reacted terribly to it. Anything that holds companies feet to the fire is a good thing in my book.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Paying2Lurk posted:

I don't think taking the most outrageous option from a survey - that included $25, $50, etc prices as well - and presenting it in bad faith as "This is what Blizzard is planning to do!" is holding anyone's feet to the fire.

They shouldn’t have put it in the survey then, blizzard is the one that made it. Also streamers 100% want a game to do well. At some point negativity clicks dry up.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Paying2Lurk posted:

Putting a range of options, including outrageous ones, in a product survey is like, mundane business bullshit. Not some insidious, secret plot.

Is it extreme when we pay 70$ for games and will probably pay 70$ for said expansion with a 100$ turbo premium option?

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Super Nintendo games cost about $129 each when adjusted for inflation in the early 90's.

Video games have actually gotten cheaper on average over the last 30 years.

Yea, but this is a false equivalency as the audience for games has grown exponentially and there aren’t physical costs anymore.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

WarpDogs posted:

A Link to the Past sold ~4.6mil, and if we use inflation math that nets to about $600mil in 2024 dollars. A significant portion of that went to the physical / retailer costs (and if this were a non-Nintendo game, licensing)

Breath of the Wild sold ~31.15mil, netting ~$1,690mil. I don't think we know how many of those were digital copies, but maybe... 30%? 40%? That's essentially pure profit, unlike the expected 30-70% cut from the 90s

Yes, but which costs specifically? Because if you view budget line items you'll see that the costs that have ballooned the most are marketing, overall operating costs, aka "we own an office in San Francisco and that's very expensive", and of course c-suite salaries. Dev salaries have actually been trending downward for quite a few years now due to a surplus of devs and the culture of crunch keeping demand lower than it should be

And it's wrong to say game prices didn't rise, they've just risen in different ways. DLC for one, and everything that has followed it from battle passes to worse. Monthly subscriptions are another. There's also plenty of 'secret' increases, like when we switched from physical to digital but kept the $60 price point even though companies were saving, at minimum, 30-50% of physical and retailer costs.

anyway. i'm just a casual D4 guy and I don't mean to just post an "um actually" out of nowhere, but companies like Blizzard are definitely exploiting the general ignorance people have of the industry to rake in as much cash as possible, and that survey feels like a "what can we reasonably get away with?" to me

I was going to say, the goal of D4 wasn’t to be a good game, although that helps a lot. The goal is to create a bunch of addicts who will buy cosmetics and battle passes. The 70$ almost doesn’t matter from the initial cost

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Well the vaults are better now but the robot is still boring, so it’s not as bad as before but still a pretty meh season.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Maybe it’s because I don’t like the season, but this season feels way grindier than last season, I feel like they toned drops down but I could be wrong.

Everything feels like it’s designed to take 20% longer than it needs to.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Is there even really a point to helltides other than when you start WT3 or 4 or farming the boss mats? You get better loot almost always from doing seasonal stuff.

E: I don’t really have a problem with them or anything, they just seem unnecessary with the seasonal stuff.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I played a ton last season and never got a useful unique, I just don’t get the itemization and droprates in this game. I thought they were headed in the right direction after a good season 2 but this season is just sucking the wind out of my sails. I want to get uniques to try a different build, but they never drop and I get bored of farming mats and stop playing.

All these build guides are like you need this unique and I just cannot be bothered after farming him a few times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I can’t get useful regular uniques and now they are going to buff Uber uniques? Real cart before the horse energy.