Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mr Scumbag posted:

I hear chicken helps.

Blizzard has claimed there are no sets in this game yet I can go to the KFC website and look up all the 6pc bonuses right now??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Herstory Begins Now posted:

he's doing 630 million damage aoe hits in that?

Pathetic I know, but we should forgive him.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Diablo IV: A perfect Summer night. You are 39 years old. The year is 2023.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This is a preview of Blizzard's future approach to balancing this game. If you can get an endgame build up and running in 2 days, then you're not sticking around long enough to buy all the battlepass content, and you gotta keep the lights on somehow!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Diablo 3 is like Spider-Man 3 where people correctly agree that the story is bad but the parts they hate (Diablo with boobs, Tobey Maguire Stayin' Alive) are actually the best parts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Impermanent posted:

the amount of people who have anything positive to say about d3 in this thread is sickening

Diablo 3 rules.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Arc Lash has a hidden aspd modifier and doesn't require mana, letting you focus purely on procs/stuns instead of the Sorc's exceptionally weak spenders.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Maybe we'll finally learn of those Horadrim we sent to the Skovos Isles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

So what happens to our current character build in the near future? There's going to be battle pass that resets every 3 months or so, right? Is the character we are leveling up now just going to stick around outside of the battle pass?

It will be the same as Diablo ladder seasons. New realm launches with the seasonal gimmick, at the end all characters get moved back to the main Eternal server.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

WT2 is pretty much pointless unless you want the added challenge of bosses with forever HP. You can finish the campaign and instantly do the capstone for WT3, probably faster than if you had played the entire game on T2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ah, this makes more sense. So the Angels are more hands off while the Demons are more trying to actively invade all the time for that sweet sweet essence.

I think part of my confusion stems from, as was said above, the total absence of angels other than Inarus during the plot, and that guy has some "mixed feelings" about Sanctuary. It made it feel like the attitude of Sanctuary was "if we are very quiet and don't make a lot of noise then maybe Heaven won't exterminatus us" which did not imply good feelings from on high. But if the angels as a whole aren't really keen to actively commit resources towards purging humanity then they technically come ahead as the good guys here.

The Angels are mostly indifferent to hostile about the existence of humans. It was only Tyrael who was really sympathetic to Sanctuary and his was the deciding vote on whether the Angiris Council would or wouldn't obliterate Sanctuary altogether. The Prime Evils however saw Sanctuary as a valuable asset in the war against Heaven and have long conspired to corrupt the souls of mankind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can't believe Blizzard started the wildfires in Canada just to advertise their new game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nightmare Dungeons should really teleport you directly to the instance like GRs. It's a huge waste of time to ride the horsey out to each one, really interrupts the Diablo flow.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

euphronius posted:

I don’t know what the percentages were but there was def non set builds in the Meta

Some LoD builds in D3 remain the best variants for their respective classes, e.g. Fire Bell Monk and all flavors of Necro.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Arc Lash is more effective than anything else right now because Blizzard decided to give Sorcs a bunch of really good barrier and basic skill effects while also making them go oom after three casts of any spender. It’s like they kept Wizard spell cost values but forgot to give them AP instead of mana.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Either I'm playing wrong or sorc is way undertuned compared to other classes in the early-middle end game. I just got to world tier 4 in the mid level 60's and it is shockingly obvious how poorly I perform compared to my friends with other classes.

Most sorc build options are the same (Teleport --> Frost Nova --> Core Skill of Choice) and they all have the same limitation-- they only perform well against groups of enemies. This is for 2 reasons-- both the damage & their ability to maintain their mana pool are tied to hitting large amounts of enemies at the same time. Their damage is tied to AOE mechanisms causing chain reactions (Ice shards, chain lightning, charged bolt, fireball enhancement slot) and your single target DPS drops off significantly. More important than that, all the aspects that regenerate mana are tied to hitting lots of dudes and do not work well against small packs or single targets.

It can take twice as long to kill the 2-3 remaining dudes than it did to kill the group of 100. It can take forever to kill a boss or difficult elite. You run out of mana very often against tanky single targets. If you get a tanky pack of enemies who can survive your initial frost nova combo, you are going to be in a lot of trouble. This remains true despite me being very lucky and having amazing gear with multiple uniques like Raiment of the infinite and Iceheart Brais for an ice shard build or Staff of Lam Essen for a charged bolt build (Ice shard build does 3-4x the damage of a charged bolt build).

Apparently this remains a problem for every sorc build until you can accumulate a very high amount of mana regen so you can actually use your core skill at will. That will essentially require excellent rolls on helmet, boots, amulet, and focus. That's also ignoring the need to accumulate huge amounts of cooldown reduction so you can actually use frost nova more often than every 12-14 seconds.

I know the answer might be just to go back down to World Tier 3, but none of my friends are having that issue with the other classes. My brothers bow rogue has such high DPS he can easily solo clear nightmare dungeons with enemy levels in the upper 70's. Barbarians and druids at level 65 seem to be able to easily tank and beat down the level 73-80 mobs. The only other class I don't know much about is the necromancer.

Anyone else playing sorc around this level and have any recommendations?

Use Arc Lash, no spender, put all four defensive skills on your bars, and take all the basic skill and barrier-focused legendary effects as you build for more Lucky Hit and use enchantment procs for most of your DPS.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I already have all 4 defensive skills on my bar & use a variety of barrier based aspects (+dmge with barrier active, +dmge to vuln with barrier active) I guess I can switch out ice shards for arch lash and then I won't worry about running out of mana. Does it generate enough DPS without unstable currents running?

Arc Lash will do decent damage against vulnerable/stunned targets but you're mostly using it to fish for enchantment procs like Meteor/Ball Lightning/Spear.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

To the other sorcs wondering what's up at high end - I don't know what is different about mine but I have zero issue killing big chonky dudes like bosses and stragglers with arc lash/static bolts?

Yes, you do go OOM faster versus smaller numbers of enemies - and ideally you R-click and delete 100 men at a time thanks to the vacuum-teleport Unique - but your dps vs bosses should still be crazy, especially if you are using Unstable Currents.

I put up a video of me fighting Elias in the capstone earlier - I eat over half his health bar using 1 stun window + currents. It's insane the amount of DPS you can put out with it - and it also has the benefit of erasing everything within 2 screens because of the sheer volume of nonsense you vomit out. Remember too, the more reliably you can churn out stuns (see below with teleport) the faster you stagger them - and while staggered, it counts as the boss being under ALL cc effects at once.

A lot of my stats ended up with bonuses to CLOSE ENEMIES and bonuses while barrier is active - which is almost 100% uptime. Yes there's a ton of damage to stunned enemies in the paragon board, that lets you wipe out non-bosses. You should also definitely try running the 'You deal more damage to Unstoppable enemies' - the uptime on that gets very high vs elites later on. My charged bolts unique staff rolled absolutely ludicrous stats, and I am going to struggle to replace it (707 base ilevel). I am currenty using 'skills have 5% to freecast Unstable Currents' but I might drop it, as the occasional lightning spear/orb isn't that amazing.

I am NOT using arc lash as an enchantment, though - I use Teleport instead, since Raiment of the Infinite turns teleport into a stun, and having 2 of them is crazy strong. I recently swapped from boots that give 2 extra evades to boots that reduce cooldown by .8 per attack - and that makes it, on average, so that I can teleport once every 5-6 seconds - and give you barrier each time you do it, including with the dash. The paragon that refills you for stunning works perfectly with this, too.

The Firebolt enchantment is purely to dive into all of the passive damage bonuses like extra crit vs on-fire. I'm pretty sure that the fire applies BEFORE your initial damage, so you are always benefiting from it.

The legendary affix that gives your Flame Shield immobilize is surprisingly strong because you get burning/immobilize/barrier DPS buffs all at once, with a relatively high chance to proc Meteor enchantments.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

I was never able to make the Fire 'lucky hit' stuff work - maybe when I get another good unique/legendary towards it, but it was awful when I last tried. I think having more innate lucky hit and sources of it would help that one a lot - getting free meteors/firewalls out of things sounds awesome. For now I am lightning shotgun Conduit Sorc.

You kind of need to fully invest in Lucky Hit for it to start noticeably paying off, 3/3 in the passive and then the affix that gives ~20% lucky hit when a Barrier is up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's just a proc coefficient, it's not nearly as useful since it's a percentage of a percentage value.

Overpower is even worse, since it's fixed at 3% unless it gets modified by class dynamics (which all seem to be very temporary and usually on cooldowns) - meaning it's much more difficult to build around it, since you'll need to average out your DPS against other builds to find what's better consistently.

Sorcs uniquely benefit from Lucky Hit in a way that other classes don't because they have enchantments that contribute a large percentage of their overall damage (and also their spenders mostly suck).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Aspects being Consumable sucks. I just want to fill out my Pokedex that I can pull from infinitely forever.
I hate the, "Do I have one of these floating around already? .... Do I actually care if I do?" game.

The whole aspect system is like if you gave someone the cube powers from D3 and asked them to make the game that came before it. Taking a legendary effect and putting it on almost any slot? That's good! Literally everything else about it? That's bad!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It costs like 50k to fully respec your skill points which is what you get from vendoring 2 yellow items at lvl 68

I have like 15 million gold without really trying to farm it

It is, as they say, "not a big deal"

The problem really isn't with respeccing skill points, those are cheap and easy. The issue is with having a full complement of aspects ready to go with the appropriately rolled gear, which are all expensive to extract and enchant. And you can spend a long time waiting for the right aspects to drop before your alt build is really "ready."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah but that's literally the game. Farming for the stuff you want.

Yeah but it's clumsy and inelegant. Aspects being consumables that you can't even access from the stash and that you don't have full access to from the codex make the entire process much more unsatisfying and constricting than it should be, imho. Finding a godly drop should immediately put you on a path toward respeccing to fit that build, not thinking "oh well do I have a few spare Aspects of Overpower Attacks cause your Mana Spenders to increase Lucky Hit chance by [10-15]% every Second Tuesday."

Aspects should be saved to the codex when extracted for the first time, and retain your highest rolled level. I'd be astonished if this wasn't exactly how they work one year from now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Paladins were all corrupted by Mephisto in D2.
Monks were brainwashed by Inarius' cult.
Crusaders have fallen on hard times in Hawezar.

Only the Witch Doctor remains pure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

First expansion class is gonna 100% be Amazon with Mercy wings.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In D2 at minimum you had 2-3 hotkeys for CTA, 2-3 for personal buffs, and usually at least 2-3 attack buttons that you cycled through on right click.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It seems as if there are only a dozen or so instances that can be NM dungeons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Reminds me of the "dark D3" reshades that similarly made the game look awful.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm at P73 and starting to feel myself drop off a little so I'll just post my thoughts now. This is me having played D2 and D3 for thousands of hours each over the course of my lifetime and having seen pretty much everything those games have to offer at the highest possible level (never found a Zod rune though :argh:). I was pretty down on Diablo IV from the start, wasn't a huge fan of anything during the beta, and after having taken an Arclash Sorc through a few NM30s and experiencing most of the content with a proper endgame setup... well unsurprisingly I'm still pretty eh about the entire experience. It has some good ideas like the Paragon boards and legendary aspects, but for every potentially interesting system, it's bogged down by lethargic game design that feels like it belongs in an MMO instead of an ARPG. Which honestly shoudn't be surprising to anyone, since I believe most of the developers who ended up shipping D4 initially started on WoW. And this lethargy extends to absolutely everything from class design to spell effects to the slowness of movement in a way that just gradually wears on me. The mounts, the "live events," the world bosses and such do absolutely nothing for me and kind of ruin the whole distillation of ARPGs that I absolutely love, which is getting into a flow state of endlessly killing monsters at lightspeed for the eternal promise of phat loot. Here everything is so restrained, so calculated, and ultimately kinda dull. Having to slowly walk around town with no teleport and the vendors all spaced out with no consistency to their arrangement per zone, having to trudge to the instance for almost a minute just to start an NM dungeon, all these little things might seem unimportant (they are, really) but they seriously interrupt the way I like to play these games.

I think it doesn't help that I started with Sorc, who I'm sorry to say is a pale imitation of the D2 Sorc and especially the D3 Wizard, two of my favorite classes ever. I loved my Nova Sorc from D2, the bold class silhouette and galaxy-bending magic of the D3 Wiz, and right now that class fantasy is totally lacking at the higher levels of the game. Slam all four defensive skills on your bars and feebly cast Arc Lash while trying not to fall asleep in between Frost Novas. That kind of thing is fixable with patches, but the wisdom in making her go OOM after like 3 casts and all her Core Skills super sucking makes you wonder where Blizzard's heads are at. It's like they kept the Wizard's high resource costs from D3 but forgot to give her Arcane Power instead of mana. Sorc needs a lot of work in pretty much every aspect of her design.

I recognize that I play these games at a different frequency and intensity than most people who just want to make their way through the story and be done with it, and for those players, I think D4 is a good time. The story isn't too bad and the environments are very nice to look at -- Scosglen and Kehjistan in particular. But it quickly falls apart after the campaign and I don't really feel any intense desire to level up another character or try out a new build in the same way that kept me coming back to each new D3 season for over 10 years. Blizzard hardly needs my endorsement though, and it seems like most people are enjoying it, so I'm happy for them. :) It's just not working for me right now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

euphronius posted:

People herd towards skills that influences highlight regardless of “viability” so you always have to see if there is nuance

It's always possible but I don't think there's any super forbidden Sorc tech to be discovered. Frost Nova makes you do damage and none of her actual skills do, meanwhile she gets like 40 different ways to increase DPS with barriers on. So it doesn't take a genius to realize you can spam defensive skills to give yourself barriers all the time so that your abilities actually have a chance to kill monsters.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Having a godly item drop potentially drop anywhere is what Diablo is all about. Last year I found a Ber rune from some random pot in Durance of Hate, that's awesome always keep that poo poo in.

The problem right now is that NM dungeons don't really incentivize you to play more difficult content, the loot and MF are the same no matter how high you go.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can left click to auto advance dialogue. Sometimes this bugs out but you can re-enable it by alt-tabbing out and back in again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Helltides are probably a little too good now for how well they award loot / XP / obols all at once. Not saying they should be made worse just that other game modes should be improved. Whispers become obsolete almost by the time you're even the recommended level of 70 to start WT4.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Turds in magma posted:

Is there any way to make my meteor sorc not poo poo? I got the meteorite affix and it's fun when it comes together but then you're just waiting around for frost nova and the dragon thingy... I know I know, this is most sorc builds

Get a lot of Lucky Hit with a fast basic attack and rely on Meteor enchantments for DPS instead of pressing the actual button.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Finding Lyndon again in Hawezar was pretty cool. It sounds like they got Troy Baker to voice him again too, which is surprising.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SettingSun posted:

If the renown bonuses carry over into seasons no one will be redoing renown any time soon. The exp/gold reward is paltry for time spent.

It's not about the exp/gold, it's about those sweet skill points + 4 paragon. The couple hours you spend grinding out quests for max renown ends up being around the same time it takes to jump one full level once you're P70+.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Yeah, except the paragon points are a realm-wide bonus. Hence, if they do carry over ream-wide bonuses like we are talking about and hoping for, getting renown a second time is redundant.

Paragon points from the altars will carry over, but Team D4 has said nothing about renown, hence the consternation itt.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There are.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

zoux posted:

Content is fight monsters, get loot, fight harder monsters, get more loot, fight hardest monster, get more loot and whatever reward for the event. This is the same for everything, that's all you can do in Diablo, all you could ever do in Diablo, whether it's strongholds, dungeons, sidequests, the campaign again, etc. It's just playing the game. So what variations on this are you looking for, what do you think would improve it?

Nightmare sigils should teleport you directly to the dungeon and you should be able to use movement skills in town. Also the town layouts should be less bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

zoux posted:

This is all QoL/balancing stuff, I'm talking about the gameplay loop inherent to Diablo. I want to know why "grinding renown" is bad and what differentiates it from other good, enjoyable content.

It's because you spend more time riding your horse and doing sidequests with like 3 bad guys in them (bad) instead of blowing up large amounts of monsters with zero thinking + pixel hunting involved (good).