Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

is other players seeing it really the draw??? the mtx i bought in poe gets seen by no one cause i barely do party play, i just like when my skills look better, right skill mtx is probably the best mtx considering how often you'll see it and generally to great effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

itls leveling via the campaign a bad choice? there were some interesting bosses that dont seem to show up again

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

i think someone here mentioned rolling back the latest nvidia drivers, that cleared up performance issues i had so thanks! the tooltip flicker still loving annoying tho

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

the game is still a ux nightmare which is astonishing, while the seasonal content is fun it's an abysmal way to interact with it.

like spending down 500 potent blood sucks cause you have to spend it in 25 chunks and its slow, let me gamble spending 5xp at a time for 150 blood or w/e.

its also incredibly annoying because it's only 1xp at a time and the cost to upgrade completely means you need to do it so many times and each time for it to roll one of the 5 you want

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

zoux posted:

I have 3 level 70ish characters and I think that my least favorite thing about itemization is the normal/sacred/ancestral divisions. II don't understand the purpose behind it. It makes sense to have a higher tier of gear at the very tippy top, like in D3, but the current divisions make the whole WT3 part of the game pointless. That sacreds continue to drop in WT4 is even worse, I thought they were auto-salvaging that crap once you got to the next WT.

I think the gear drops should simply scale with your level, I also don't like that I can get 925 gear from world bosses at level 70 because it removes some of the gear chase and makes drops in dungeons and the open world pointless.

its very much the normal/exceptional/elite where it impacts the mod rolls that can occur, and they can scale within that tier based on ilvl.
unlike d2 they aren't different models or named differently however

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

one thing i hoped this game would do is recognize the failure in the d3 campaign and the utter hatred of running it to the point they let you skip it entirely and level via bounties.
Unfortunately this campaign while a lot better is not good for running thru and then they locked seasonal behind it OR They let you skip it.
I don't even want to take away the skip and level via the bounties option, i just want the campaign to be on par with it. it'll never be as efficient as hardcore whisper/bounty runners but it should not be significantly slower and more tedious

It feels like one of the fundamental ARPG* leveling experiences, going thru a variety of environments and notable mob compositions, thinking about how your build will do against X act boss and ideally needing to shore up leveling gear as you go and think about defenses. But it's so much loving slower and has so much completely unskippable cinematic stuff.

D2 really was that sweet spot and PoE does a good job as well (and i am the fool who runs seasonal stuff while running thru the acts). Grim Dawn is entirely focused around that and whips especially with the new drop rates for MIs.
Last Epoch kinda fails here as it's all kinda ez and forgettable. I just still really love that D2 campaign loop and Ive done it at least several times a year since it's release (albeit some were modded)

*The arpg definition chat is really loving funny to me as a rogueliker. sorry, its a generic rear end name and will get applied however and whenever it wants as long as it's got 'action' and 'rpg'.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 21, 2024

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Mantees posted:

The main reason why I can't do anymore the POE campaign, is that for hours you are supposed to play the game differently, and outrun enemies looking for the exit/quest rather than kill stuff.

It's forced disgraceful non gameplay

its only that way due to the player market and drop rates alongside the initial build of seasonal wealth and inventory creating a gold rush that heavily incentivizes rushing. There are also very specific and easy to spec into campaign builds that are honestly boring as gently caress but get you to maps where you can finally play your 'real build'

its my biggest issue with the game and stfu about ssf, its an interesting mode but i don't want to dedicate my life to a extremely low drop rates single player experience.

if i could play permanent ssf with increased drops i would love the game, alas i don't want to extreme optimize my playing in order to work a loving market, i play games to avoid that poo poo

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

i just simply hate video content, which means the current internet loving sucks cause facebook lied to everyone for video pivot and now chat gpt is ruining text

oh well hope s4 is good before i laugh at the canadian price for the expac

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Field Mousepad posted:

They did the same thing with D3, people were losing their poo poo because there were some bright colors.

???

people were losing their poo poo because d3 went blizzard house style and really suffers for it. Its a really awful looking game and not because of the colours

like d3 eventually became a much better game but the style could never be replaced. They did do a lot with RoS, and the new act is much better visually especially the high heaven

its still jarring to go back to d3 because it is so maximalist and yet I still played a ton of that garbage after RoS dropped

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

i mean once again this is just blizzard being fairly bad at understanding the aesthetic vibe from d1->d2 that solidified its popularity at the time.

its literally just that the blizz house style doesn't give the right vibes for diablo, Diablo has been dark gothic fantasy (with the fantastic claymation style) compared to Warcrafts more maximal, true fantasy look. D3 is just a messy amalgamation that doesn't work for me at all.
It seems to have been due to A) blizz north being dead for D3s development. B) the frankly still ludicrous popularity of WoW at the time and them trying to entice that crowd into Diablo

Bringing back and making monk good after the mess that was the hellfire monk was a great choice and it was my favourite class.
When D3 did do something unique in Act 5 it was way better. They really hosed up basically following the D2 structure for act environments because it doesn't compare well.
Then they tried to course correct D4 to a more Gothic look but still thought the issue was the vibrancy and effects or something?

D4 has a better base look but could still use some creativity in the skills effects, hopefully the expac will be better

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 4, 2024

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Part of the S4 patch will be having more skill points in a skill make the visuals more exciting.

euphronius posted:

(Those were supposed to be in the launch version and were advertised for the launch )

oh yeah i forgot about that,

part of the reason certain d2 skills felt great was they looked and sounded great and vibrant. I hope they revisit the drop sounds because the sound of an uber unique dropping should be exciting, and even leggos/uniques; A smart move would be to have a different sound effect for the Exalted/Great Ancestral things.

say what you will about PoE, but those drop sounds with a proper loot filter are extremely satisfying and thats before they just let you pick what sound fx to condition yourself with
well that and the herald of ice crit sfx is something i still crave

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

the main issue imo is they lost the journey aspect, poe attempts to try and get up the journey thru the post campaign as well but ultimately as a f2p game it wants you to never stop playing and always chase that high.

D3 for its flaws even after RoS, really provides an incredibly streamlined season journey that keeps hitting beats and doesn't really expect you to continue forever. its itemization and skills preclude heavy building theorizing. But you can jump into a season massacre demons and have a good time without too much thinking, though there is a bit if you don't look poo poo up

Recently with GaaS the rise of blitz thru the campaign without enjoyment to get to the endgame has taken over and it blows, because endgame content is very hard to make consistent and interesting.

D2 didn't really have one and they tried patching stuff in but my enjoyment and why I've been playing it constantly for over 20 years is its entertaining to try and get a weird build of the ground, you can respec once and targeted farming is not really a thing.

I actually think MedianXL is over looked as a case study in arpgs. It has specific end game progression with difficult challenges and challenge areas combined with a variety of target farming and build customization later on.
Early it uses uniques that can be tiered up as you go thru the campaign as steady and consistent power increases. every unique you find is useful because at the very least it becomes 1/5 of a tier up or unique creation. it also sprinkles level locked challenges throughout (that can be bypassed for a cost) to give an optional power boost if you can do it

Either way the endgame is an arpg is whenever you no longer enjoy the grind for increasingly smaller power boosts or the chance of a big power boost is so small it's not worth it. We lost something in arpgs when you hit level cap before the end of the campaign or a campaign so atrocious that adventure mode was necessary

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

wemgo posted:

You would love lost ark

speak about a great journey, Lost Ark owned until i got the loving kmmo wall
holy poo poo they hate their players over there which is a shame as it's very solid to play. I didn't care for some of the group content like the monhun style fights, but the raids are cool and the dirty mode is insanely long, i might go catch up on that at some point, see what is available without hitting the 3 upgrade attempts (at 5%+(1% x failed attempts)) a day wall

edit: steam says i put 240 hours in to basically hit end of the campaign + the t3 wall

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Stux posted:

you all live in opposite world and i do not awnt to play whatever dogshit game you are all imagining. thanks.

what do you think I'm imagining? Saying i enjoy d3 doesn't mean i need another

What i really want is PoE with buffed drops and an inability to trade basically. SSF is really fun, you don't think about the market value and can just spend your currency as you want. it just sucks how awful the drop rates are for the cool poo poo, poe wants to be a second job if you want to push the content imo
Trading had never really enticed me as i can't get excited about finding something for someone else to buy and use so i can then go but what i want

Don't worry tho, they would never do it because they need it to be an online mp game.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Stux posted:

i t is fun seeing completely deranged takes on what different games are tho. v funny to imagine poe as a typical f2p treadmill game when its just a normal arpg except act 1 and 2 involve the developers caving your skull in repeatedly with rhoas etc making it completely hostile to new players, while d3 is a "journey" and not an frictionless treadmill designed exactly like progression in a f2p game but stuck inside a normal game for some reason

i am really confused at your readings of my posts tbqh
PoE is probably the hardest of the current arpg campaigns out there, is that a controversial opinion? PoE is fairly hostile to new players, its got so many systems built in and a specific glossary for how to read it's gems, affixes, passives. Its very rewarding if you stick with it but it's not hard to create a character which requires a bunch of respecs and orbs to fix up to continue progressing. It is easier if you follow a starter guide ofc

D3 is pretty frictionless, not really sure how that makes it a f2p game progression or not a journey? Its very guided but that's fine for a game going for mass appeal.

Lost Ark is much more the typical f2p progression i think your talking about and that's to get you to a wall with monetization

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Stux posted:

then just play ssf. having chase uniques isnt some special invention they came up with because its f2p or whatever youre talking avbout thats just how arpgs work. how many tyreal's mights have you dropped? are they rare because d2 is a f2p always online mp game or because its an arpg and ppl like chase uniques and rare drops?

i do pay ssf, i am simply saying i would enjoy seeing the rare treats myself
i am well aware this exists in D2, that doesn't have to make it an immutable fact of the genre for offline players

i think i was unclear where i criticized PoE due to the f2p model. Due to being f2p and always online i can never mod myself a version that is more enjoyable for me solo. I can do this is D2 quite easily. It is also unlikely they will ever release the server code so PoE will be stuck as an online only game with insane drop rates.

Stux posted:

is d2 unfun ssf because there are uniques that are a 1 in 500,000+ drop rate? just coming up with a conclusion and then working backwards even if it makes absolutely no sense at all.
D2 is also available to play offline and this is something that can be fixed because of that (also in the base game with /players 8)

Last Epoch for its issues clearly acknowledged this with the Trade/Drop factions, its just a worse game then poe.

Either way this is mostly a want because I've sunk 10000 hours into D2 & PoE

I should note i guess im not exactly demanding anything here, i thought we're discussing game design for arpgs and i understand the desire and want for games with trading

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

okay, so i guess I'm lost to how having a smoother experience or in game guides makes it less a journey
or what that has to do with a death screen from poe.
They are clearly working off different goals for player engagement. player discovery is less of a selling point these days and I'm not sure you can blame f2p games for it. in my anecdotal experience trying to get people into poe, its the main reason people bounce off, they don't want to be assed to get into it.
publishers have been trying to ensure players can see 'all the content' for a long time now, especially for high budget games.

i guess my embracing the cringe allows me to enjoy both style of game journeys?

Stux posted:

playing d2 offline so you can cheat the drop rates is hella cringe bro.

my cringe level is off the charts because i prefer to enjoy my games

tho speaking of cringe, i decided to try diablo immortal and the s4 improvements just seem like ideas from immortal lmao. it has the legendary codex that levels as you expect them and it has gear smithing that upgrades affixes at specific ranks

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Stux posted:

alirght youre just too stupid to have this convo with. good chat tho take it easy

thats rude
I am trying to understand you but its unclear from my point of view
might be just too spectrum for this tho, everyone assumes im being facetious :smith:
i just dont like to assume what definitions everyone is working from

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Stux posted:

trying to keep it shrimple, twas this that i disagree so heartily with and was trying to demonstrate thaht the design chocies in poe are not based around its f2pness, as f2p games often seek to do this thru altoeghether different means such as a simple streamlined onboarding process for new players followed by a clear and delineated power curve with direct gains, thusly when they want to put the screws in for monetiszation they spike the numbers so that a very severe grind or payment is required to continue, with no alternate avenues for player power so as to stop people getting around it. d3 follows this process almost to the letter (mightve even invented it? no idea lol), even sharing the same visual design for stuff w games that use passes or other progression tracks, but doesnt have the last part due to not being f2p so its just sort of this progressional system without the nefarious end gmae. poe feels more like ppl who liked d2 decided to make d2 on crack and figured arpg players are so demented they would stick around and spend money on the game without doing that, so they could just put whatever horrible punishing content and byzantine mechanics they wanted in the game and not worry about scaring people off.

poe monetization does actually sort of suck in a completely different way lol but its generally tolerated bcos it objectively has not led to the actual gameplay or design being warped in the way f2p games ofoten are, so it was strange to see the claim that thats what its trying to do. hope this makes it clearler.

oh that is my mistake then, I was particularly unclear about how I think the PoE monetization works, its definitely interested in keeping you around as much as possible but not in service of getting you to spend money to keep the dopamine treadmill working, but because you might as well get some skill fx or w/e since you've already put so much time in and you're gonna see it for the next 100 hours. ofc my source on this is me, that time spent worked so well and i will not discuss how much money ive spent on poe or my cloth map of an atlas from several major reworks ago
Though I honestly think its kinda ingenious to have stash tabs as a cheap 'break the barrier' mtx. It has been shown that paying once really eases one into then spending more down the line. Its why all the f2p games offer an extremely cheap 'starter package'

PoE is absolutely the lovechild of people who thought 'what if my character building never had to end?'
I only stopped playing as frequently because at a certain point i got addicted to PoB theorizing. I was not trying to call it predatory in the same way as mobile f2ps, more how it does have an incentive to keep you playing, which is a stated goal of the game anyways.

Stux posted:

d3 follows this process almost to the letter (mightve even invented it? no idea lol), even sharing the same visual design for stuff w games that use passes or other progression tracks, but doesnt have the last part due to not being f2p so its just sort of this progressional system without the nefarious end gmae.

It is my understanding the seasonal journey pops up because the game got locked into Set Power and they were definitely not going to rework it post RoS. So if sets are how you can see the parts of the game players like, they speed you along to it fairly quickly. I think DFO/DnF probably did it first, though honestly can probably blame valve, the ideas they used in CS/Dota have become so widespread and toxic.
Not really going to argue the visual aesthetics as that is just how it goes now, its become an understandable interface. Similar to how so many card games just be doing StS pick 3 and vertical node map.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

I wonder if anything is different between Diablo and Diablo 4 that would make matchmaking seem more appropriate

i do miss the server browser, there's an ineffable essence to joining 'BigBaalz 13' that matchmaking can't match

also the gem, and the user list

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Jimbot posted:

It's like it's missing the last step, but I don't know what that solution to that problem is either. So you get all the greatest gear then you can fight super duper uber bosses, but what would they drop to incentivize you? If they're mechanically super fun then that could be a good reward in of itself but since these games are skinner boxes having that treat at the end of that fight would have to be pretty special and significant beyond bragging rights. Unique transmogs, maybe?

just copy the dang PoE totem/cosmetic poo poo for doing stuff during a season imo
I am also on the odd end where I find doing challenging content its own reward, however in arpgs with number goes up it becomes quite hard to make difficult content that isn't just difficult because number is too low. it requires good mechanics and design, sure lock a capstone behind needing big number but don't make it trivial like the current end content if your number is stronk

Considering how long it took them to fix the uber Lilith visual fuckery im not sure they got it in them, which is wild considering they have a shitload of ideas from their other games to adapt to arpgs.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Stux posted:

that i agree with. the diablo 3 loot 2.0 rework and its consequences have been a disaster for the diablo series.

its wild cause it's easily fixable, enable drops for top tier loot to be class agnostic. you wont get flooded with trash for not your class.

OR loot filters

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

tbh d2 with a basic base+rarity loot filter is even nicer, highlight runeword bases you want, key unique bases or rare bases that 'could' be good

i could agree that d4 doesn't need it due to basically making gear so locked to a class as well as rares being useless (more so in s4)
nonetheless a filter/highlight that just highlights the things you are looking for, so you can just junk everything else is a great idea.

the reason the poe filter is a great idea is because it fixes the issue where the dopamine hits from dropped gear will diminish as you get better and better gear. By filtering out stuff that isn't an upgrade, or by highlighting good stuff, you allow the player to keep getting that dopamine hit when an item drops

The 'this is an upgrade because numbers' style of marking items in inv sucks because it doesn't actually let the player influence what is an upgrade for them and having the game lie to you about an upgrade sucks rear end. Plus it only occurs after you pick up the item not at drop

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

MJBuddy posted:

Borderlands isn't an ARPG (or an AFPS or whatever nonsense).
ofc not! its a shlooter, this should be a recognized genre :colbert:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

i can post about diablo!

finished the first campaign of immortal and that was dire!

the first post release campaign was neat, even if it included a lot of escort questing

still dislike the d3 HUGE butcher and tbqh am not a fan of koolaid d4 butcher either.

feels like d3 and d4 missed the message on what was great about d1 butcher and d2s super uniques. having this rare monster in a location that does weird memorable poo poo is cool!

i can't seem to think of any in d4 and the butcher just being a constant reoccuring gear check now makes him kinda boring

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

im happy for all y'all minion loverz, those builds never did it for me but it's a good archetype to have

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Tarnop posted:

- they're nervous about expanding the skill tree (at least as it appears to you at the start of the game) because a large proportion of people playing already make terrible decisions even with the limited choice it offers eg putting 5 points in all the basic skills and they don't want to make it easier to create an unplayable character. Doesn't mean they'll never expand it but it's unlikely to get more complex at 1-50

i think this is easily solvable, torchlight infinite suggests a build that is capable of getting to maps and even has maxroll integration. its optional and helps those who need it. highlights key things you want on your items, skills, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

it is wild that out of all the skills in the game a good 20% are basics that you mostly don't want to use (arc lash feels like one notable exception due to CDR)
22 basics out of 114 skills!