Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Flavahbeast posted:

Sort of, at least one guy got to level 100 / t100 maps in the 10 day reviewer preview but I dont think the level 100 boss was part of the preview and I'm not sure if t100 is the current cap for nightmare dungeons or just the cap for the preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji4QDveNOj8

he's doing 630 million damage aoe hits in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Henchman 21 posted:

I hope the servers aren't too slammed

lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'll tell you what I tell my wife: Finishing as fast as possible is much more important than having fun.

yeah she told me you say that

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

unless you're a streamer

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Went and got some beer and a bucket of grocery store cookies

blend these with a gallon of icecream to create a gamer milkshake

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
streamers appear to be in

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
fuckin d4 making me go to the dmv

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
whale priority queue confirmed lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lister posted:

I got disconnected immediately after killing (Act VI boss) Ashava and now it's telling me my account is locked and try again in a few minutes.

My review: Game's really big. The story is exactly what I want out of a higher-number sequel story that balances the old and new in a way that rehashes some, but is mostly fresh.

Also, the writing and some of the quests are clearly influenced by Witcher 3. An NPC used the word "whoreson" which I'd never known until it was said about 200 times in W3.

not influenced by, largely written by the same guy

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jaytan posted:

I’m pretty convinced this whole build guide thing is a product of path of exile trauma where it’s possible to spend all your points and have a character that doesn’t do anything.

Literally buy some skills that do the same thing, and don’t over invest on passive skills early. Consider respecting when you get legendary items. There you go build guide complete for all five classes.

eh every game is kind of like that these days and d2 and d3 were both heavily build-guide driven. hell 2 and 3 had the build guide sites years before poe had a vaguely decent way to find builds.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Internet Explorer posted:

I was just talking about how Blizzard really knocked it out of the park with this launch, but lol at deploying an update and (?) bringing down the servers on the official launch day.

some people were apparently having trouble completing purchases

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

isk posted:

Could I trouble someone for Cliffs notes on this?

resistance affixes have about 1/100th the magnitude of effect you'd think that they should have. you could increase their magnitude 10x and they'd still be the weakest affix in the game. presumably they're broken/something isn't working right.

tldr: 55 res gets you like 2% more of a specific elemental damage reduction

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

resistance affixes have about 1/100th the magnitude of effect you'd think that they should have. you could increase their magnitude 10x and they'd still be the weakest affix in the game. presumably they're broken/something isn't working right.

tldr: 55 res gets you like 2% more of a specific elemental damage reduction

Oh I was summarizing the wrong video,

summary was of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrkjtL33hNQ

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Impermanent posted:

diablo 4's launch is really interesting because you can really see the relatively normal gamer's gobsmacked and horrified reaction to the path of exile lifestylist's way of playing a game like this. I say this as a path of exile lifestylist.

something something casual players with only 5 hours a day to play

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

You don't need to learn the lingo to run the T1 cinematic leveling experience and hitting the imps with any random stick will finish the campaign. Afterwards if you want to get on the current endgame treadmill, there are only a few viable skill combos that 95% of the gold farmers and internet beggars run because the majority of skills in this game are so anemic they can be considered cosmetic.

impressively lopsided. streamer/youtube/guide meta is definitely skewing that, but even still that's very lopsided

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Pain of Mind posted:

I think the game is profoundly worse than any other standard Diablo, including Diablo 3 1.0. My complaint is not that some skills have longer cooldowns, but I do feel somewhat astonished that everyone rates the game so highly, when I am bouncing off D4 pretty hard as an enjoyer of D1, D2, and D3.

you definitely aren't alone on that if this is anything to go by

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iv/user-reviews

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Astryl posted:

I'm sure it is from a gameplay perspective tbh, I only tried to play it for maybe an hour, but its graphics gave me a legitimate headache and I never bothered again.

LE is objectively pretty good and has a ton of systems that are very cleverly designed. I absolutely can not get over the art and character designs though. the no customization + just bizarre character looks are just too much to get over for some reason. that poo poo kills the game for me

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
it's crazy how good the game looks compared to how muddled it looks in gameplay footage. encoding just murders the visuals

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
on its own pepe at this point just means someone is like under 25 and probably on the internet a bunch

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Gwaihir posted:

This poo poo drives me absolutely insane but they keep doing it!! It's like they're loving allergic to giving us hordes of zombies to explode for ????????

Stupid loving mmo brained bullshit.

the tragedy of a bunch of dudes who thought everquest combat was extremely fun ending up in charge of games in completely different genres

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
that all sounds good but then people would progress too quickly and they won't be around long enough to impulse buy nearly as many cosmetics

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
50% cold resistance=~2% less cold damage taken in the current state of the game

no clue how something so basic ended up so completely broken. apparently it's intentional because people were reporting that to them back in the betas

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yeah, a lot of people just want to see a bunch of elite packs explode on the screen at once.

i have been informed that that is arpg brainworms

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DaveKap posted:

Currently, the direct rewards you get from doing them (adding 2 stat points or obol storage) is permanent on your account, shared between all characters, and across seasons but the ability to unlock them and the renown they give do not, as they currently don't across characters. This lets each character have the entire "renown checklist" available to play through as "a thing to do" but since the only important bit of renown rewards is the skill/paragon points, you can freely ignore them. Those account-level reward from renown (skill points, paragon points, etc) which currently does carry across characters may possibly not be given in seasons, but this is up in the air. It's believed on Friday we'll get more information about this, since people have quite loudly exclaimed how much they hate uncovering the map and doing renown poopy work each season and this Friday we're getting Blizzard's first fireside chat in which they apparently have something to announce about this.

tl;dr the direct rewards from statues will carry over, do them. The renown rewards that include statue gathering, dungeons, and side quests are unknown, so maybe don't poopsock those.

im curious what the chat is meant to be for because they've already made what were, as far as I could tell, unambiguous statements about what progress carries over into seasons. if anything I expect them to walk back some of the carry-over progress that they promised, but idk maybe I'll be wrong

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mr Beens posted:

Considering the question of what carries over gets asked every page and the only actual answer that was ever given was statues, everything else has just been speculation and implied from vague statements.
They have not anywhere unambiguously laid out how seasons work in diablo 4 and what carries over. Hopefully this will be resolved tomorrow

oh yeah you're right, I thought they'd said more but I guess I'm misremembering.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
placing my bet on no progress is carried over to the new season.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ehud posted:

I've been talking to non-ARPG friends (who have gotten very into D4) about this topic. My broken ARPG brain is fully prepared to do everything over again each season. Meanwhile, they're all saying they will never play seasonal if it means having to re-do renown, altars, etc.

Cynically, I think their goal as a live service game is to get you logged in as many hours as possible each season to get you to buy stuff. Carrying over progress works against that goal. I just wonder how many casual people they might lose altogether if nothing is carried over.

I also wondered if they could have some option to have ladder/non ladder seasonal characters. Let people reuse seasonal characters or some form of progress (renown, altars) if they want, but have separate ladder characters who start from scratch and can be part of leaderboards and whatnot. I don't know if they want to splinter the player base like that though.

This huge open world design and all this side content does feel at odds with the classic ARPG season start from scratch formula. Maybe they have something creative up their sleeve.

they don't

yeah there's so much incentive to maximize seasonal time invested because there's a fairly direct relation to time played and total in-game transactions. I feel that discrepancy, too, between expecting it to get the standard full reset treatment because golly that's what arpgs all do for some reason, but also that is a lot of grindy almost busy work for a game that clearly wants to be more friendly to, you know, people playing for fun.

I am curious what they'll do. Letting some progress carry over would be a huge crowd pleaser, but also that's just leaving money on the table. The compromise is probably to lower barriers to alts/rerolls but fully reset the account meta-progression.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

A month is literal Forever Time in ARPG terminology, most D3 ladder resets crest after about two weeks and you wouldn’t want to have to play much longer than that, anyway. Seasonal play is about finding a new character or build you want to try and taking them through the game until you either accomplish your goals or get bored. They’re not meant to keep you on the treadmill forever, although now with the battlepass Blizzard will certainly try.

haven't seen it remarked on all that much but the actual timeline of progress for d4 characters is really, really, really slow relative to every other arpg (and especially relative to d1/d2/d3). seems like most players are level 50-70, and maybe up to WT3?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Astryl posted:

https://youtube.com/shorts/XZKRTJpHsio

The entire thread, me included, tbh.

lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

Almost literally everyone will play seasons exclusively.

progression is slow enough in this that I think a non-trivial amount of the playerbase will just keep playing their existing characters.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
you win by playing a character that is fun

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mikojan posted:

Its not like the PoE skill tree where its incredibly easy to brick your entire character.

????

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
then you just unspec the single point? I've seen people make mediocre builds, but I've never seen someone actually brick a character

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
eh even new players usually have fine trees because you just get damage or life. tbh the big reason I think more characters don't get bricked on the skill tree is that it's pretty obvious if things apply to your build and there's only even so many options to waste points on. where new peoples' characters tend to be really bad is that they have absolutely trash gear because they understandably don't know what is important

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
u have to sell items and not just salvage them, too

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
this game is no dungeon siege 1

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
there's roids in the water

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
vulnerable feels like a placeholder for an actually good and interesting system that they ran out of time and never got around to replacing

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
it's wild that people are progressing at, on average, 2 or 3 levels per day. progression seems slow even by mmorpg standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Gwaihir posted:

Progression is good, it's just the morass of a million stats that aren't really different at all that suck rear end.

idk how to get around reducing everything to one "Number go up" stat though, other than like, focusing on gear affixes being things that more tangibly change your playstyle like CDR or haste/resource gen effects.

haste cdr and resource gen are just the worst imaginable affixes in a game, conceptually :colbert:. cdr and resource gen are both fixing problems you made so you can have strong, desirable affixes. i'm dogmatic on this a bit, but cdr is just the worst thing to have to stack in games and makes zero sense as an affix that would exist

imo you want cool affixes you make stuff that mechanically changes skills, whether specific skills or global changes to skill effects, (which incidentally is a lot better for balancing than trying to get the numbers perfectly in line with other skills). as to how to make them more depthful than just 'stack number go up' is making the gear creation process exactly that, a process. preferably with more tiers of gear than just tiers of affix strength and 'item power' (which might as well be the cdr of itemization). I think that this requires an actual crafting system, but idk, maybe there's some other way to stretch the process out without just making the good stuff unbelievably rare.