Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I am really struggling to understand some aspects of lucky hit. I understand that at it's core it's a proc coefficient to balance skills that have different frequency of "hits" per cast. For example, whirlwind would have a low lucky hit because the frequency of hits are very high, where as meteor has a high lucky hit because it just hits once each cast. The skills themselves have a lucky hit % and what happens when the lucky hit triggers is dependent on what skills/gear you take.

This is easy to understand if your lucky hit effects is some sort of instantaneous damage or CC. The lucky hit triggers and you get the effect. I am getting very tripped up on lucky hit effects that are not instantaneous.

For example, if I take Ball Lightning as a mastery slot on Sorc, it states, " Lucky Hit: Critical Strikes have up to a 25% chance to spawn ball lightning". How do I interpret this? Anytime I get a lucky hit with any skill, then for some duration of time, alll my critical strikes with any skill will have a 25% chance to summon a ball lightning? But how long does it last? Is it indefinite until it occurs and then the bonus goes away? Is it a set period of time and if so, why does it not tell you how long it lasts?

Furthermore, I know there are ways to modify your luck hit chance with equipment/paragon board, but can you actually modify a lucky hit effect? For example, I can increase the lucky hit rate of chain lightning from 25% to higher with gear/paragon board, but is there anyway to modify that 25% chance to summon a ball lightning on critical strikes? I would think without a way to change that 25%, some lucky hit effects are going to suck. Like Meteor as an enchantment adds, "Lucky Hit: Up to 8% chance to summon a meteor". So not only do you need to land lucky hits, but then there's only an 8% chance on each lucky hit to actually get the effect. If there is no way to increase the 8%, that ability seems rather useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I came in with a lot of hype and found my reaction was mixed.

The game runs well, the environments are very pretty, and it generally feels good to click some monsters to death. Oddly, some skills have downright ugly animations (frozen orb is hideous).

The leveling/skills feel far more anemic when actually playing the game than they did on paper when I read about them before release. I played 6 hours, made it to level 28 on Sorc, and I've already unlocked every ability I'm ever going to use. The skills are also no where near as fun to level. When you take multi-hit with the amazon from level 1 to 20 and see 2 arrows go to 20 arrows, that's a very visceral sense of power. In this one, every skill only has 5 levels, and it's generally just "damage goes up". There's a real lack of power progression and I don't see that changing in the first 50 levels. We will see how the paragon boards play out, but I've looked at them, and even the unique/rare nodes are mostly just passives that make certain builds do better at what they were already doing.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 2, 2023

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I think Sorc is pretty strange in this game in that the basic & core skills much better than the mastery skills because of the limited mana pool. You will have the most success either going Ark Lash + Chain lighting or Frost Bolt + Ice Shards. Those skills have a lot of ways to generate mana with their enhanced versions or basic aspects gotten from dungeons.

I like reading up on builds in a general way and I have not seen any excitement at all over Frozen orb, Blizzard, Lightning Spear, Meteor, etc... Firewall is allegedly pretty good but falls off towards end game.

Every single sorc build uses 3-4 defensive skills. Especially frost nova, because it's the main source of causing vulnerability, which is a unique 20% damage modifier. So no matter which elemental pathway you choose, make sure to grab mystical frost nova (3 point investment overall)

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Do the roll ranges on the aspects improve as item level improves? Or if you get a perfect roll even at a low level, you should just extract the aspect and save it for end game?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

coelomate posted:

I've heard people say extract and save.

Codex ones always roll minimum, only dropped items can actually exist within the range (I was surprised to find you can find codex powers on dropped items at all!).

Does anyone have a definite answer? I am getting conflicting information.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Post-Campaign Questions

1. How does item level interact with sacred and ancestral items? Item level appears to scale with character level with a very large variability (+- 100), but then do sacred/ancestral modifiers guarantee some sort of minimum item level that is higher than normal? What happens when you get to level 100? What becomes the difference between normal, sacred, and ancestral items?

2. Helltides are clearly the correct even to gear up since they can net you between 7-12 sacral/ancestral legendaries + max obols if you are doing them efficiently. What is the best use of time outside of helltides? My group started running nightmare dungeons, but we weren't impressed. We were doing rank 15 ones that had enemies 10 levels higher than us and the loot was much worse than a helltide. Is the XP a lot better? I have no idea how people got to 100 already. It seems to take forever to level up after level 50. There's got to be a method i"m missing.

3. What level is appropriate to tackle the level 70 capstone dungeon and starting taking on word tier IV?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Anyone have a strategy for finding helltide mystery chests? I recently learned there are actually two per event. The single time I actually found both I walked out of the helltide with 20 sacred legendary items.

All in all the end game is quite fun. I think sorcerer needs a complete class rework though. Vulnerability being so incredibly strong makes all sorcerer builds the same, because they all revolve around frost nova. Ultimately you want remnant of the infinite to group enemies into a clump to frost nova and then delete them with your primary attack skill. Whether you are using charged bolt, arc lash, or ice shards as your damage dealing skill barely matters. Firewall sorc plays a bit differently, but it's noticeably weaker. The fact that so many of the mastery skills and core skills are useless is likely not what they intended or want.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

CBD Corndog posted:

Yeah here have a map with most, if not all, mystery chest locations:

Another thing about hellfire mystery chests - they move every hour. So if a rift starts at 11:15, the chests will move to another location in the helltide at 12:00 and can be looted again, making it 4-6 mystery chests per helltide. Obviously if a rift starts at the top of the hour you can only get 2-4 chests since they only last an hour.

Thanks! but the map didn't load in. Can you relink please?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Either I'm playing wrong or sorc is way undertuned compared to other classes in the early-middle end game. I just got to world tier 4 in the mid level 60's and it is shockingly obvious how poorly I perform compared to my friends with other classes.

Most sorc build options are the same ( (Use all 4 defensive skills + 1 damage skill and just spam-- Teleport --> Frost Nova --> Core Skill of Choice) and they all have the same limitation-- they only perform well against groups of enemies. This is for 2 reasons-- both the damage & their ability to maintain their mana pool are tied to hitting large amounts of enemies at the same time. Their damage is tied to AOE mechanisms causing chain reactions (Ice shards, chain lightning, charged bolt, fireball enhancement slot) and your single target DPS drops off significantly. More important than that, all the aspects that regenerate mana are tied to hitting lots of dudes and do not work well against small packs or single targets.

It can take twice as long to kill the 2-3 remaining dudes than it did to kill the group of 100. It can take forever to kill a boss or difficult elite. You run out of mana very often against tanky single targets. If you get a tanky pack of enemies who can survive your initial frost nova combo, you are going to be in a lot of trouble. This remains true despite me being very lucky and having amazing gear with multiple uniques like Raiment of the infinite and Iceheart Brais for an ice shard build or Staff of Lam Essen for a charged bolt build (Ice shard build does 3-4x the damage of a charged bolt build).

Apparently this remains a problem for every sorc build until you can accumulate a very high amount of mana regen so you can actually use your core skill at will. That will essentially require excellent rolls on helmet, boots, amulet, and focus. That's also ignoring the need to accumulate huge amounts of cooldown reduction so you can actually use frost nova more often than every 12-14 seconds.

I know the answer might be just to go back down to World Tier 3, but none of my friends are having that issue with the other classes. My brothers bow rogue has such high DPS he can easily solo clear nightmare dungeons with enemy levels in the upper 70's. Barbarians and druids at level 65 seem to be able to easily tank and beat down the level 73-80 mobs. The only other class I don't know much about is the necromancer.

Anyone else playing sorc around this level and have any recommendations?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 9, 2023

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

exquisite tea posted:

Use Arc Lash, no spender, put all four defensive skills on your bars, and take all the basic skill and barrier-focused legendary effects as you build for more Lucky Hit and use enchantment procs for most of your DPS.

I already have all 4 defensive skills on my bar & use a variety of barrier based aspects (+dmge with barrier active, +dmge to vuln with barrier active) I guess I can switch out ice shards for arch lash and then I won't worry about running out of mana. Does it generate enough DPS without unstable currents running?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

DarkDobe posted:

To the other sorcs wondering what's up at high end - I don't know what is different about mine but I have zero issue killing big chonky dudes like bosses and stragglers with arc lash/static bolts?

Yes, you do go OOM faster versus smaller numbers of enemies - and ideally you R-click and delete 100 men at a time thanks to the vacuum-teleport Unique - but your dps vs bosses should still be crazy, especially if you are using Unstable Currents.

I put up a video of me fighting Elias in the capstone earlier - I eat over half his health bar using 1 stun window + currents. It's insane the amount of DPS you can put out with it - and it also has the benefit of erasing everything within 2 screens because of the sheer volume of nonsense you vomit out. Remember too, the more reliably you can churn out stuns (see below with teleport) the faster you stagger them - and while staggered, it counts as the boss being under ALL cc effects at once.

A lot of my stats ended up with bonuses to CLOSE ENEMIES and bonuses while barrier is active - which is almost 100% uptime. Yes there's a ton of damage to stunned enemies in the paragon board, that lets you wipe out non-bosses. You should also definitely try running the 'You deal more damage to Unstoppable enemies' - the uptime on that gets very high vs elites later on. My charged bolts unique staff rolled absolutely ludicrous stats, and I am going to struggle to replace it (707 base ilevel). I am currenty using 'skills have 5% to freecast Unstable Currents' but I might drop it, as the occasional lightning spear/orb isn't that amazing.

I am NOT using arc lash as an enchantment, though - I use Teleport instead, since Raiment of the Infinite turns teleport into a stun, and having 2 of them is crazy strong. I recently swapped from boots that give 2 extra evades to boots that reduce cooldown by .8 per attack - and that makes it, on average, so that I can teleport once every 5-6 seconds - and give you barrier each time you do it, including with the dash. The paragon that refills you for stunning works perfectly with this, too.

The Firebolt enchantment is purely to dive into all of the passive damage bonuses like extra crit vs on-fire. I'm pretty sure that the fire applies BEFORE your initial damage, so you are always benefiting from it.

You must have wildly different gear than me.

Your posts are what inspired me to try the charged bolt build yesterday since I have Raiment of the Infinite & the unique charged bolt staff. It did not work at all for me. It was noticeably weaker than my ice shard build. My ice shard build deletes larger packs of enemies in about 1 second, but the charged bolt build took like 4-5 seconds per pack. Both are equally weak against single targets or 3-4 pack stragglers.

I'm level 65 in world tier IV and most of my gear is sacred item level 650~ stuff. I'm sitting at like 2500 life, 4000 armor, and 2800~ attack power. I've imprinted the relevant good aspects in my gear (damage to CC'ed enemies, damage up with barrier, damage up to vuln with barrier, etc...). So I'm not sure what's causing me to have such a different experience.

Ultimately, it's a complaint of relativism. It's not like I am unable to progress. I can do helltides on world tier IV because most enemies are clumped into perfect groups. I can run whisper dungeons solo. But I just have a much harder time than my friends with different classes, who have 100% uptime on their characters, and do much better vs elites and bosses not in a group.

I think I am going to try an arc lash focused build this weekend.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
In good news it turns out the issues I were having with my sorc were just about being right on the cusp of not having good enough items. I replaced a few items with ancestral level gear and now I am an unstoppable machine of death that explodes entire rooms in 1 second and can destroy single targets with near infinite mana.

The bad news is-- holy poo poo does the game slow down to a glacial pace at level 70. It was so immediately noticeable. Level 60-70 was a pleasant XP grind with 1 mystery/nightmare dungeon giving you a nice chunk of a bar and a helltide event often giving an entire level. When I hit 70 I actually thought the game bugged out because I didn't see any progress on my XP bar for a while. Now a dungeon gives me like 1/20 of a level bar.

Between that and the fact that now it's not even worth checking any gear that isn't ancestral level, I have a feeling my interest in the game is going to burn out over the next 4-5 days. There's no way this can remain satisfying for another 30 levels. Which honestly is fine; I got a ton of hours out of the game and haven't felt this invested/heavy urge to play a game like this in a few years.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

acumen posted:

Seems like it's an intentional thing like D2 where the game is "done" around levels 70-80 and anything further is just for the grinders.

I'm in the early 70's and feel pretty done. Only so many times you can do the helltide --> nightmare dungeon --> whisper dungeon loop and not get bored. I don't think that's a bad thing at all though. Game had it claws in me in an intense way I haven't experienced in quite a few years. I definitely got my money's worth.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Astryl posted:

Let me summon bosses to fight and/or go fight campaign bosses again. D2 brainworms are real.

Someone reaching level 100 in two days was obviously not intended and that's why this was nerfed so hard.

Additionally small testing vs. large amounts of players all trying to break the game as fast as possible usually results in stuff like this coming to light that may not have otherwise.

Zotix, I will never understand PoE brainworms and you will likely never understand D2 brainworms.

How is complexity for the sake of complexity, fun? (no, I won't play PoE).

I've never experienced any of the mechanics that poster described, but those sound really cool and not at all "complexity for the sake of complexity"? Like in a game focused on an infinite grind, having 6 different modes that let you experience it in different ways seems good? Especially when some of them include a unique way to spend currency within the mode itself, which sound really compelling.

I mean it feels like Diablo 4 is trying to do exactly that with Helltides, Whisper Dungeons, PvP, and nightmare maps. But the gameplay those offer is less varied than what the person described above

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

explosivo posted:

It's Sacred so the rolls are higher

The rolls are not higher on sacred or ancestral uniques. It makes no difference

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

feller posted:

They are higher on legendaries though

There are only two type of aspects in the game

1. Ones rolled from dungeons
2. Ones rolled from items.

That's it. It doesn't matter if the aspect is sacred or ancestral. Doesn't matter if it's ripped from an item level 300 legendary or an item level 900 legendary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Very interesting. The ruleset must be strange on which aspects it affects and which it ignores. As sorc almost all the good aspects are % based, which seems not to change as Zotix mentioned above. I didn't realize flat values could improve.