Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Seems like Tonali for Newcastle is serious? Could be due to AC Milan firing Maldnini after the season but Tonali seemed like a guy who would play at Milan all his life the way he talked about it.

Maybe Tonali is a bit like Robbie Keane and he has more than one boyhood club?

Ulio fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

He's a good link between the defense and the offense in midfield. At Milan he's partnered with Bennacer, who is more of the playmaker, so Tonali is left to do the dirty work. He's an excellent tackler and good at recovery in general. Going forward he's not going to be making insane long passes but he positions himself to make or finish offensive moves - he's go the second most assists on the team this season. He's physical and he's safe on the ball most of the time.

In short he's quite good. Is he 80 million Euros good, probably not, but when dealing with infinite money I guess it doesn't matter.

I would say he is similar to Declan Rice. If they play Joelinton/Wilock- Guimares-Tonali. Tonali most likely will replace Longstaff.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Fabinho wasn't very good last year but he's only 29 so I don't think he's washed and it would be dumb to sell him, get some form back in the team overall and he could be back up among the best defensive midfielders in the world

I think Fabinho was low key very good. Van Dijk was by far the biggest problem Liverpool had, just putting that as an off split for now but he looked horrid for the Netherlands in Nations League as well. Fabinho isn't Busquet or Veratti level with the ball but he is quite good defensively. I actually think they could get rid of Jordan Henderson but both him and Fabinho would be too much imo. None of their signings have the defensive output of those two and Jones/Elliot also are more attacked minded. Hendo also was quite bad last year, he still has the energy and physicality to play in a top league but his end product is below average but now he has some crucial defending mistakes compared to the past.

If they sign Lavia then 40m for Fabinho is really good at this stage of his character. I just feel like Liverpool will just have the same problem as last season though. Their attacking options are even better but their defense will be even more exposed with a midfield of Jones-Lavia-Mac Allista/Szobozoslai. Mac Allistar/Szobozoslai aren't gonna track back much unless they start Elliot over them which I doubt.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 13, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I've been assuming that Mac Allister and Szoboszlai were both signed as immediate starters, with Fabinho sitting behind them. Supposedly, Szoboszlai likes to press but he also likes to play high up the pitch, which means when the press does break down it'll be helpful to have someone good behind him to cover the space he leaves behind. Mac Allister isn't a defensive midfielder but is good at keeping possession, which will overall be helpful defensively but again doesn't do much during transition counterattacks which is where we looked so vulnerable last season. If Fabinho can get back to his best he's perfect for that third spot and if the plan really is for both the new guys to be starting then it'd be stupid to replace the one veteran left in that midfield three.

Yeah Fabinho is really good defensively but I don't think he was good last season. It's not all his fault, because the press was breaking down in front of him and leaving him in more exposed positions than in the seasons where he looked godlike, but there were way too many games where his response was to just run around kicking people, he was very lucky not to get a second yellow in like half a dozen different games.

Fair enough about Szoboszlai since I haven't watched him other than on Youtube but he often seems to be running at defenders and not holding the ball in midfield but maybe his off ball workrate is high I don't know that. I do think Fabinho was good individually whenever he looked bad it was often him having to cover way too much field with Trent/Van Dijk literally not being able to defend the whole season. I really think a lot of Liverpool's problem was Hendo not being as good defensively as before and Van Dijk doing 1-2 big mistakes a game.

As for Mac Allister, I really don't like him as a central midfielder. In brighton they had a few games where they played him with Caicedo or Gross when they kept switching Gross/Caicedo to rightback due to injuriest to Lamptey/Veltman. I remember like vs Newcastle and Everton he really struggled to keep possession with heavy press in that position. While higher up behind the striker usually he would pass the ball faster and even if he lost it it was higher up. He looked good when both Gross-Caicedo played or later Billy Gilmour played behind him so he was further up and had to do way less defensive work. In Argentina he does play midfield but he is with Enzo - De Paul who both do lots of defensive covering so he kinda roams up more than them.

That being said I am super excited, I do think Liverpool will have the best attack in the league and if Van Dijk can be like before they should have a good shot to at being top 3 at least. Man City probably losing Gundo + Bernardo silva with no straight replacements makes Liverpool even stronger in comparision.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

it's the fancy name for Alexander-Arnold tucking into midfield in possession

Trent is crazy good in midfield but the inverted wingback works well if you have a real DM playing like Fabinho. You kinda saw this problem with Arsenal vs Man City. When Zinchenko moved up if they lost possession they would end up with 2 cbs while when this happens to Man City usually Rodri or Stones are close enough to cover and turn into a 3rd cb. Arsenal dropped Partey and thats when this issue happened but Declan Rice should solve this since he doesn't move up that much. That Arsenal vs Man City game at the Ethihad, it was unbelievable how many 2v2 counters De Bruyne/Haaland had on them.

Akbar posted:

We also have Bajcetic coming back, who looked great last year and helped settle the defensive side before we changed to the 3-box-3. That's also why I'm not sure about Lavia. We already have a teenage DM

Ah haven't seen him play much. But Lavia is so skilled, everytime I've seen him I've been impressed even though he made mistakes and was on the last placed team. He is really really good on the ball, already miles ahead of someone like Fabinho. But he needs to work on defensive positioning and marking which I think Klopp would help him with.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah it's all looking quite positive, though the expectation will be anything lower than last season is a failure and that's quite a lot of pressure. Hopefully there's some maturity and experience that comes with the recent signings that can help the squad keep their heads.

I feel like Arsenal and Liverpool had the best transfer season so far but one big signing for the others could definitely change who won the off season. If Liverpool sell Fabinho for 40m and get a top DM that's great business by them.

I think Newcastle will drop off they don't have enough depth to play their style with 4 competitions. They need to sign some wingbacks to give time off to Burns and Trippier who played every game. I know they made the league cup final but they literally only played relegation level teams till the final. Also think Chelsea will do better than last year but it really depends if they sign Caicedo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

tbp posted:

i promise you this isn't the case. fabinho has been pretty terrible for going on 18 months. he was basically my favorite player in the side before that so i've been paying as close attention as possible. his form picked up when taa was put next to him and gave him some assistance, but his decline has been very sharp.

that said i dont want to sell him, i prize continuity a lot and think it'd be a bad idea. but he's definitely been one of THE major problems for liverpool for a while now

I agree he did improve alot with TAA next to him but for me the biggest decline on that side was Van Dijk. From probably to the best cb in the world to making game losing mistakes every few games and he was bad for Netherlands as well. I'd sell Hendo over him anyday though but if they are willing to spend 40m on him then it's time to go.

Moktaro posted:

Oh good, another reason to hate Miami.

In other MLS transfer news, the Colorado Rapids picked up Rafael Navarro from Palmeiras. Any Brazil watchers here who know anything about him?

Watch a lot of Campeonato, I literally don't remember him. I believe he was just a bench player but Palmeiras has been stacked last few years so there have been decent players who struggled to make into the starting lineup.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The sad thing about the Saudi league is that, people I have met from there are genuiely some of the nicest people I have ever met. Canadians are nice stereotype is bs, it should really be saudis are nice.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I don't mind any of the other players going to Saudi because they were not talking about LBGT community every 2-3 interviews like Hendo. Looks horrible for him, this is the type of poo poo he could have stood up for and he would have still got paid somewhere else like MLS. Shows how hypocrite most of these people are pretending to be allies.

I know people say Saudi is tax free but pretty sure all these footballers with good accountants pay mininmal tax(or none) so even if he went to US he could make a boatload.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hendo can bust out the Fifa president tactic in his first interview, today I feel saudi.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

He'd make like $3-5m a year in the US, rumors are around $30m a year in Saudi. There's a big difference between being a rich footballer and a generational wealthy one.

I don't mind him taking the money but he was blatantly virtue signaling at every opportunity. I doubt his family would have any financial issues if he never went to Saudi, at his level if you have any investments you are set for life just on dividends.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

The PIF has $700B in it, I doubt they really give a poo poo about paying out 1% of that in footballer salaries.

Ya its for sure getting paid. This isn't Chinese billionaires who depend on the economic cycle of China. This is Saudi oil money, which is basically the money printer meme.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

It would be funny if Saudi ruining the EPL with their oil money got a load of football fans onboard with moving away from fossil fuels

They actually invest in alt/clean energy. Whole point of PIF is to diversify away from oil. At some point they were a significant shareholder of Tesla but sold before it rallied a lot and they invested in other EV makers. PIF have investments in a lot poo poo people wouldn't ever guess from US banks to video game companies.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Saudis are the second largest shareholders in Twitter

Lol

Saudis can't catch a break when it comes to Elon businesses lol. Kept Twitter, sold Tesla.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1682032400422035457

The Saudis are hell bent on destroying the PL, guys do they know there are other leagues with great players and managers?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The goat

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

EC10 posted:

true, thats why all the other athletes making that much money are always set for life and never end up broke like 5 years later

Butterfly Valley posted:

I feel that's a being dumb as poo poo issue and not a quantity of money issue

Ya and I honestly don't even see this happening in Football. It seems way more common in NFL/NBA. Also if we are talking about specifically about Hendo pretty sure unless he is a drug addict and in jail he would get a huge Sky Sports/BT contract the day he retired if he finished. Or he could start a podcast like Ben Forster/Gary Neville/Rio. Basically no matter what lovely argument you put up, Henderson in 99% of scenarios would make poo poo loads of money either way. Ok instead of making 30m in RSA he would make 3-5m in US then sit on his rear end on TV and get paid few million just to talk.

My point is not players going to Saudi Arabia, that's fine and I think people even get overdramatic at points but Hendo is definitely weird and he marginalize the people he was saying he stood up for by doing this.

If I am a prem player I would just not renew my contract now and wait for stupid dumbass money offer from Saudi. Can you imagine how much they would pay for a Bruno Fernandes when they paying these wages to Hendo.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 20, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/CLMerlo/status/1682133682595811328

They are apparently offering Lautaro 60m a year or 60m over 4 years?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man I loving wished he had joined Firmino's team. I think this league will be fun to watch for what it is, it's not just old washed up players like Ronaldo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

They quite literally don't know what to do with all of the money so they're just throwing it in places to see if it sticks

Saudi's aren't the smartest businessmen, they have been just lucky to have one of the most important commodities in the history of humanity since last century. This is clearly dumb as poo poo but probably true.

Also can these journalist use another word than understand? Understand Al Hilal is Robbie Keane's boyhood club.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dude Ronaldo must be so mad that Mbappe is getting offered 7x his salary.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

United overpaid way too much, if you are willing to pay for players with contracts you can't say there is a market with no striker. No literally every league in the world has a bunch of decent striker. Holjund is nowhere near on the level of Haaland. Haaland played for a better Dortmund side but individually he looked like a world class talent while Holjund isn't on that level yet.

If Toney wasn't injured I would have like United to go for him.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Let me simplify it for you, he is maybe the 3rd best forward in Atalanta and he isn't worth that much.

Doctor Teeth posted:

surprisingly napoli haven't been picked apart like i thought they'd be. Kim Min-jae seems like the only major departure

Well they got offers for Osimhen and rumors are that Newcastle bid for Kvara which I assume is true since they were looking for a winger but settled for Harvey Barnes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like Villa are getting Zaniolo ex Roma player, he can kinda play everywhere in the front so I wonder if he is a reaction to Buendia injury.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sky reported Bayern is also interested in Caicedo and rumor mills in Spain saying Real might be interested as well.

I am guessing by the time we wake up tomorrow we will see some agreement between Chelsea and Brighton. They will just fork over the 100m.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Guys we got Big Sam back this year but we are missing one classic prem tradition.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What a signing, I think they obviously overpaid a little but Caicedo is a gem of a player definitely rate him higher than Rice and younger by 3 years.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Also Alexis Mac Allister and Caicedo already played together before so that is a easy plug n play.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya no poo poo anyone on West Ham would leave to Man City so doubt that was hard. I still don't understand why they don't just play Foden in the Gundo position, he really should be starting.

Paqueta is good technically though and I feel it hard for him to fail if he is setting up Haaland.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I really think Palinha is as good as Caicedo. Unfortunately he is older and has crazy valuation as well. Seems like no one wants to negotiate with Fulham who don't need to sell anyone.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I mean thats why there is Rodri and Stones so Gundo would basically push up like a 10. Also from few times he came off the bench last time, he did track back from what I remember. Although you are right in that regard Pacqueta outworks him.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shearer legit tweeted this lool.

https://twitter.com/alanshearer/status/1689913501815357440

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Alisson apparently being approached by Saudi clubs. I don't think Liverpool will be able to get both a DM and a world class GK if that happens.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Replacement of Fabinho is older than him lol. Endo is alright I guess for a stop gap fix.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Strawman posted:

What are they smoking at Anfield?

From all indications(bundesliga/stuttgart fans) he is a very good player. He is a dm but it seems like he can go forward as well. It just seems like his passing isn't that good but if he is playing next to Mac Allister/Trent he probably won't have to worry about doing crazy creative passes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

sticksy posted:

Fulham seem to be struggling this year and losing Mitro without replacing him with 10 days left seems suboptimal

Also defensively I think Palhinha might be the best dm in the league and he is out with injury. So both their defense and attack got much worse. Jimenez was good before but injuries seem to have taken a toll on him.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Such a weird move, Union Berlin are a top German team but at this stage in Bonucci's career he has nothing to prove you would think he has Saudi offers or some MLS offers where he could get paid and just chill.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mo Salah to Saudi would be fine for him imo. Gets paid a poo poo load, he isn't gonna win anything with Liverpool anyway. At the current point in his career he would be getting the best possible salary and he is already 31.

Liverpool fans want 250m for him, thats what they offered Mbappe... He is their best player but they could just bite the bullet for bit and potentially get a world class striker like Osimhen just put the Hungarian dude on the right.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 24, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

i can't in good conscience ever say we should sell mo because even though he isn't the force of nature he was a few years ago, he still scores a lot and, more importantly, i love him and want to kiss him on the mouth and i don't want him to play for another club

I still think he is amazing, the dude had 19 goals with almost 0 creative players behind(minus Trent). Meanwhile if Rashford scores 15 people go crazy.

For me the only thing is that he is already 31, Szoboslai can play in his position and this balances out the midfield where someone like Curtis Jones can be a starter and do some defending with Endo. But it would basically require flipping this season as a cointoss and hope you can get Osimhen + a world class centerback next year or in winter. Mbappe to Liverpool would be wild but I think he is gonna stay in PSG and only leave to Real.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Finn posted:

His agent confirmed the last time the Saudis tried this, about 3 weeks ago, that he never would have re-signed for Liverpool had he any intention of not seeing out the deal. I'd be personally shocked if he went, and if he did it would be loving disastrous. He just became the club's 5th leading scorer on Saturday. There's no replacement like for like, this isn't a video game.

That's all nice and well but that's before they decided to give him the highest salary in the league and I would guess that would make him the highest football player especially since there is 0 income tax there.