Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnderToad
Mar 3, 2010
Seems like the only way to find deals on vintage horrible decisions, are any of you members? How are the shipping costs?

https://www.copart.com/Content/us/e...13713686_search

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
From what I have heard it is one of those things where it is kind of fun to dream, but you need to watch out for cars that have actually already been auctioned off once, found to be pretty much nonrepairable, and then auctioned again after being made pretty for pictures. It also seems kind of irritating in that you will see something that is supposedly coming up as a future sale and it never seems to hit the block.

I have been looking for e39 wagons on there for a while but their fees and shipping have made them cost prohibitive. I think if you were near a facility and got lucky,. I have never paid for the inspection services, but I cannot imagine your would get anything worth much there either. YMMV.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FWIW I watched one of my old cars after insurance took it (running the VIN through Google every few days). It was listed on Copart with an auction date, but disappeared from Copart's website before that date - usually if it gets sold at auction, Copart will keep the listing up showing it sold. Searching the VIN through the state showed someone about 5 hours away is driving it.

Looking through the nearest Copart's listings, there's a few candidates for a DIY rebuild, but almost all have salvage titles (so a pain in the rear end to title again, you need the VIN and receipt from every single part that you replaced). A few don't, but those are usually the ones with pretty nasty hail damage.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 9, 2023

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In CO they didn't ask for receipts for everything I replaced but maybe the guy was just being lazy that day. So I'd say check your local laws for what's required for getting something rebuilt from salvage, but "don't buy a salvage title car" overrules that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

In CO they didn't ask for receipts for everything I replaced but maybe the guy was just being lazy that day. So I'd say check your local laws for what's required for getting something rebuilt from salvage, but "don't buy a salvage title car" overrules that.

same in california, as far as i know. my brother bought a car from a guy who had rebuilt one of those pick n pull "builder" cars, and had floated the title to him so he had to get it inspected and registered as a "rebuilt" title since everything that goes through PnP gets a salvage.

i think CHP or whatever cop shop just inspected the VIN, then it was some paperwork at the DMV and a fee. im certain that he didn't have documentation for all the parts that were replaced.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Here in Ohio it's any part that isn't brand new aftermarket or OEM has to have a bill of sale with a vin number of the vehicle that it came from. Basically they want to ensure you aren't putting chop shop parts on.

Partly this is to ensure that a rebuilt isn't uh, completely broken as gently caress and at least runs, but my experience is your gonna see at least one person arrested while your there because they have active warrants and don't realize that going to the state highway patrol office and giving them your license will have them run your id.

But yeah, copart is mainly all vehicles that are being sold by insurance and the titles will be listed as salvage. While there is the section that's for cars that are turned over and still have regular titles, the main focus of it is as a dumping ground for insurance to sell cars to scrapyards for a couple of grand or so. My dad used it a lot the last few years to get us cars we fixed up and rebuilt, it's an amazing deal if you have the equipment, knowledge, and experience to correctly rebuild a damaged frame and other assorted problems. Otherwise honestly besides possible for a parts car, I don't think it's really a great resource for the average car guy.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They only apply that rule in CO for air bags and maybe some other commonly stolen parts. I had to provide a receipt showing the VIN clear back in 2009 when I rebuilt my 01 V70. It does vary by state. The irony is if you just lie and say you didn't replace the air bag they take your word for it. One of those real stupid laws that inconveniences honest people and only catches the dumbest criminals.

And yeah the glory days of copart are over, where you could get a car for 20-25% of retail and have it fixed for half. Maybe now it's better but only because used car prices are out of control.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In my case it was a '99 Impreza wrecked at the end of 2017, all it took was hitting a curb sideways on ice with my front driver's side wheel to total it. They quoted $400 for the wheel alone, and then I went and bought a matching one (since it was a 20 year old OEM Subaru wheel and I was in Colorado) for $40. So it was fairly minimal repairs made more difficult by me not having power tools.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lemme guess, a few bent suspension components, where an impact wrench would be very helpful?

A bent lower control arm is what wound up totaling my car. The part alone is cheap. The labor was quoted at 8 hours - apparently the engine and transaxle had to come out (WTF Toyota?!), which also means all new fluids. As tight as that engine bay was, 8 hours seems a little on the low side for a complete R&R of the drivetrain + replacing the bent control arm and tie rod.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

randomidiot posted:

Lemme guess, a few bent suspension components, where an impact wrench would be very helpful?

A bent lower control arm is what wound up totaling my car. The part alone is cheap. The labor was quoted at 8 hours - apparently the engine and transaxle had to come out (WTF Toyota?!), which also means all new fluids. As tight as that engine bay was, 8 hours seems a little on the low side for a complete R&R of the drivetrain + replacing the bent control arm and tie rod.

I saw that on a Toyota once. The LCA has one of those vertical bushings and the bolt goes in from the top into the subframe. Absolute poo poo design. But if you take the motor mount off that side you can raise the drivetrain enough to clear.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
You can get some deals if you know how to do the work and have the tools, but it also is a big if.

Hail damage is a good one though, can get some nice cars with no mechanical issues but absolutely look like they were beat with a ball peen hammer. Dad has told me before also that a big thing is airbags, since an airbag deployment can basically be 8k to10k alone due to the modules, new airbags (required to be new in Ohio) and trim replacement in the interior. Minor damage can have them go off pretty easily is how he put it.

Mind you two cars we rebuilt both had the fuse box destroyed due to some wild damage. Because of that both cars had no interior damage, just the electrical harness needing replaced and then frame fixed up. It's honestly wild how much you can fix when you know how to and have the tools and time. A big part also being that doing it this way for us meant no car payment though.

Edit:I say this as the clutch just grenaded on my car however. So you get to deal with the mystery unknown maintenance and other issues from previous owners.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Also airbags off but minor damage is the ideal race car project starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

honda whisperer posted:

I saw that on a Toyota once. The LCA has one of those vertical bushings and the bolt goes in from the top into the subframe. Absolute poo poo design. But if you take the motor mount off that side you can raise the drivetrain enough to clear.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the quote was the body shop's way of saying "we don't want to gently caress with this". Over half of the estimate was the drivetrain R&R.

Someone will be getting a pretty nice, if not higher mileage, car for a lot less than I paid for it. And swearing once they realize what it takes to replace the LCA. It's tweaked just enough that the steering wheel was cocked a little to the right, but the car otherwise drove fine, didn't pull or anything.