Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Problem description: My PC is randomly rebooting. Sometimes it happens while I'm not using it and the other times I've seen it happen is while browsing the internet. Weirdly, I play PC games and I have not had it reboot at all while playing games. I have also gone days before without reboots and then seen it happen a few times in one day. It only seems to happen either when I'm not using it or sometimes while browsing the web. It also happened for a period of time a month ago and then mostly stopped and now has come back again. It's intermittent and some days I don't have it happen at all but other days it may happen a few times.

Attempted fixes: I checked windows update and made sure I'm up to date on my drivers. I tried to open up the case and clean it as best I could. I made sure my video card drivers were up to date. I downloaded hwifinfo and monitored my sensors. None of the temperatures I've noticed there seem out of whack, so I don't know that it's overheating. Maybe my PSU is having trouble, but I'm confused why I'd never see issues playing games if that's the case. I'd also think that if it were overheating I'd hear the fans get noisy (on previous pcs where this happened that's what I noticed) and I would see the problems happen while gaming. But my problems happen when the PC is in low powered usage.

Recent changes: No, I don't think so.
--

Operating system: Windows 10 x64 e.g.

System specs: Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti. System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. System Model: Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming. BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/31/17 14:40:10 Ver: 05.0000C (type: BIOS). Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz (6 CPUs), ~3.6GHz. Memory: 32768MB RAM. Available OS Memory: 32714MB RAM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'm wondering if this is either a PSU issue or maybe I need to update my BIOS? It's very strange to me that the issues are happening while I'm either not using it at all or just while I'm on the internet. I'd expect that if it were an issue with overheating that I'd see it happening most often while playing games, but I can't recall it ever happening while gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepBlue
Jul 7, 2004

SHMEH!!!
How old is the PSU? Capacitors do weird things over time and the PSU could be the culprit to this issue.

If you want to try updating drivers, try out this cool program that works really well to update 'All The Things'.

https://www.glenn.delahoy.com/snappy-driver-installer-origin/

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DeepBlue posted:

How old is the PSU? Capacitors do weird things over time and the PSU could be the culprit to this issue.

If you want to try updating drivers, try out this cool program that works really well to update 'All The Things'.

https://www.glenn.delahoy.com/snappy-driver-installer-origin/

I want to say I built the pc in late 2017 or late 2018 but I'm not 100% sure. It's probably at least 5-6 years old at this point.

In event viewer I'm getting Event 55 errors when the PC shuts down like this.

Processor 3 in group 0 exposes the following power management capabilities:

Idle state type: ACPI Idle (C) States (3 state(s))

Performance state type: ACPI Collaborative Processor Performance Control
Nominal Frequency (MHz): 3600
Maximum performance percentage: 708
Minimum performance percentage: 25
Minimum throttle percentage: 2

Also event 172 Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, Reason: NIC compliance

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the PSU I guess. Question is whether it's worth buying a new one or just buying a new pc at this point. The pc still runs pretty well for most of what I do. I feel like given all the botting and poo poo that goes on now that I'd heard it might actually be cheaper for once to buy a new pc rather than build one like I normally do because of parts shortages. I don't know if that's true or not. I have not looked into it that much.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd run https://www.hdsentinel.com/ to ensure that your drive health is okay. You could also run https://www.memtest.org/ to check RAM health.

If both of those are okay then I'd use onboard GPU temporarily to eliminate the GPU as being an issue.

It's possible it's a PSU issue but that's not the most likely culprit. If the computer was stable for years before the reboots started then a BIOS update is unlikely to help. But you could still update it to the latest version to be 100% sure.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 3, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So checked my drive and ram health and everything checked out there. I also did some stress tests and didn't see any issues with temperatures or my psu. That doesn't exonerate the psu mind you, but nothing jumped out at me. I reinstalled some drivers and cleaned out a lot of irrelevant files and clutter on my drives. I have not had a crash yet last night or today after I took those steps. I'm crossing my fingers that what I did helped.

Just in case I did order another PSU as well to try if the problem persists.

Not gonna say it is for sure fixed as I've had days without crashes before but fingers crossed. If I get some more I'm going to have to try to test the GPU as Zogo mentioned and also swap out the PSU and see if that makes any difference. Probably do another deep clean of my parts as well.