Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

This happened last Wednesday but I only recently saw it and it's pretty :yikeseroo:

An 18-year-old from Louisiana who graduated high school three days earlier went on a pirate-themed booze cruise in the Bahamas with a bunch of other new graduates. At some point during the night somebody allegedly dared the kid to jump overboard. He did while people filmed it. He vanished almost instantly. The search was called off after one day.

quote:

A video has begun circulating on social media that allegedly shows missing U.S. citizen 18-year-old Cameron Robbins attacked by a shark in the Bahamas.

The video, which has so far been viewed more than 10 million times on Twitter, is being scrutinized, with some indicating the video allegedly shows the exact moment Robbins is pulled underneath the water by a shark after jumping off a cruise ship near Nassau, Bahamas.

The incident happened on Wednesday, May 24 and at around 11:30 P.M. Robbins reportedly jumped off the Blackbeard's Revenge sunset cruise ship.

A search party was was initially launched but on May 27, the United States Coast Guard, who had been assisting the Royal Bahamas Defence Force in the search, confirmed that the search had been concluded.

quote:

In the video, other guests upon the cruise ship can be heard swearing and eventually panicking as the footage allegedly shows Robbins getting pulled underneath the water.

"This kid f****** jumped off. Oh my f****** God. Oh, bye! Oh, s***," one man can be heard saying in the clip.

At one point, the person in the water appears to turn and swim in the opposite direction of the lifesaver ring that was thrown overboard.

People on the cruise ship begin to shout and call for the man to go to the lifesaver, only for someone to remark that the man is no longer visible.

Most people know you obviously never, EVER gently caress around and jump off a cruise ship, even a small one like this pirate gimmick. For one, people can disappear fast, especially at night. I think roughly 25% of people who fall from cruises are recovered (which is honestly higher than I expected). Plus, sea life, including sharks, are drawn to the scraps, noise, and structure of a large boat in the open ocean.

The video is grainy and you don't see anything graphic or even definitive, but it might be :nms: if you're twitchy about the ocean.

Twitter link to video: https://twitter.com/clipsthatgohard/status/1663522639682629632
You can find the brief video at any of the news articles about the incident like this one from Yahoo News)

Now, if you look carefully at the beginning, the kid appears to jump in right next to an 8-10 foot shark which quickly turns towards him (look for the swimming motion and turn up brightness if you have trouble seeing it). He seems to see it and starts swimming away from both the shark and a life preserver. The camera catches a few more glimpses of him as he drifts farther away before he just disappears under the water.

hosed up stuff.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i knew a guy who got eaten by a shark. didn't know him super well or anything but he sometimes worked weekends at an old job i had. he didn't jump off a boat though. sharks got him when he was diving on some island somewhere on holiday. he was missing for a while but they found his arm in a shark with his wedding ring on it and everything, very sad. his wife worked in the office for our company too.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it seems like a dumb idea because he got eaten by a shark, but if he had managed to fight the shark and wrestle it back onto the cruise ship it would have been a cool story

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'd rather have been eaten by a shark then spend a few days (hopefully lol) floating until I die.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
oh man imagine being a shark and eating a drunk guy; i'd be so hammered

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Should we maybe delete the video in the OP, since it sounds like this kid is very likely dead now and there's a distinct possibility that he died on-camera? :gonk:

Even if it's not graphic, posting video of a guy dying irl is a big no-no.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 2, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol, lmao even

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

oh man imagine being a shark and eating a drunk guy; i'd be so hammered

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good choice, I'd also rather jump and get eaten by a shark than stay on a cruise ship

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Mozi posted:

it seems like a dumb idea because he got eaten by a shark, but if he had managed to fight the shark and wrestle it back onto the cruise ship it would have been a cool story
honestly? this.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i bet the dude who jokingly shouts "BYE!" is feeling p bad right now lol

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

He won the stupid prizes

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'd rather have been eaten by a shark then spend a few days (hopefully lol) floating until I die.

I’d rather be eaten by a shark than go on a pirate themed cruise

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Honestly it's a tragedy

Drunk, impulsive jump

Eaten

:horror:

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i bet the dude who jokingly shouts "BYE!" is feeling p bad right now lol
Why, it was obviously a correct thing to say. "Hi" or "Welcome" would have been completly wrong.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I. M. Gei posted:

Should we maybe delete the video in the OP, since it sounds like this kid is very likely dead now and there's a distinct possibility that he died on-camera? :gonk:

Even if it's not graphic, posting video of a guy dying irl is a big no-no.

There's nothing in the video. A guy is in the water and swims for a few seconds and that's it.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I mean, do we really know he was eaten by the shark? Just because the shark was nearby doesn't mean it went for him. Maybe he just drowned, like someone drunk swimming in the ocean at night might do. Was probably just curious about the big splash. Kinda bigoted towards sharks to think it must of done something.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

mobby_6kl posted:

Good choice, I'd also rather jump and get eaten by a shark than stay on a cruise ship

tbh I went on a cruise last year and had a pretty good time. But even with the unlimited booze package I never considered jumping off.

Although... we did sail into the Bermuda triangle and when I got back I had covid and abortion rights had been overturned. It's a thinker, really.

There's nothing in the video. A guy is in the water and swims for a few seconds and that's it.

I didn't think it was a big deal but I took it down anyway. If a mod weighs in I'll throw it back up (like a shark does when it eats something indigestible)

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Well maybe if you dont want to be sharkfood dont jump into sharks

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Young men are the dumbest creatures on the planet

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yeah but it shows him vanishing in the water before the camera pans away. We don't know if he's alive right now so for all we know it's still possible he went under and drowned at that moment.

Hazo posted:

I didn't think it was a big deal but I took it down anyway. If a mod weighs in I'll throw it back up (like a shark does when it eats something indigestible)

Yeah probably best to ere on the side of caution at least until we know whether the dude lived or not. You never want to post video of a person dying, but the standard of what constitutes "dying" has gotten kinda muddy especially since the Ukraine thread started. With all the war footage that's been posted and people getting upset by it, it's best to just avoid posting anything where there's a greater-than-1% chance that it shows someone's final moments alive.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I would prefer not to be eaten by a shark.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

It’s a funny story actually, the guy washed up on a private resort island shortly after and decided to hang out there for a week. He’s fine but his ex, daughter and friend Mary are PISSED at him for letting them think he died though.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Quote From Man Eaten By Shark:

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀”What are you gonna do, eat me?”

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mozi posted:

He swam away from both the shark and the life preserver, guy was never gonna have the courage to fight a shark, let alone win.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
they probably wait around these every night just praying for this poo poo to happen

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Oh good, got this weekend’s SAD drama lined up :munch:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Oh good, got this weekend’s SAD drama lined up :munch:

This is the kind of thing a GBS IK should have handled immediately, smdh

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

sharks don't eat people :rolleyes:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
It's a newsworthy story, reported on by actual organizations who have posted the video. You see nothing graphic and you did everything right Hazo

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

sharks don't eat people, rappers do, i seen it in a documentary on bbc2

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Sucks that the kids for sure dead but the shark stuff seems incredibly apocryphal. Even the most dubious news source describe it as "shark infested waters" at best.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

And that kid? Young fonzi.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
A drunk kid?

That shark is clearly a predator.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I don't know I watched the video and I think you can see the shark right there turn toward him and everything

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Smugworth posted:

Young men are the dumbest creatures on the planet

Not just young human men either. Majority of the fossilized mammal skeletons are male.

Stupidity is stored in the balls!

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Right. Shark's teeth eat people.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
drowning seems bad

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
whats scary is he was pulled under bit yelled and then immediately swallowed a full lungs worth of water

now u get to be torn to shreds and you cant breathe in any way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Lucky with that you black out real quick iirc