Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Escape From Noise posted:

I wonder what a shark's favorite drink is. Maybe it depends on the species.

The alcohol-filled blood of drunken idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

steinrokkan posted:

Lots of people seems strangely invested in the kid being eaten by a shark rather than just drowning.

It’s a psychological defense mechanism.

No one wants to believe a young, healthy man could just disappear into the ocean in a matter of moments.

It places less stress on the vision of our own mortality to attribute his death something beyond control or larger-than-life, such as bloodthirsty shark from which he had no chance of escaping.

It removes a lot of blame from the victim too. “That shark decided to eat him and that was that. He was doomed.” Sounds a lot better than “Drunk guy gets disoriented and drowns after jumping overboard like an idiot”.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

No one wants to believe a young, healthy man could just disappear into the ocean in a matter of moments.

It places less stress on the vision of our own mortality to attribute his death something beyond control or larger-than-life, such as bloodthirsty shark from which he had no chance of escaping.

It removes a lot of blame from the victim too. “That shark decided to eat him and that was that. He was doomed.” Sounds a lot better than “Drunk guy gets disoriented and drowns after jumping overboard like an idiot”.

it’s also cool as hell

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

git apologist posted:

it’s also cool as hell

Being eaten by a shark is something we can all aspire to, individually, and as a society

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Elviscat posted:

I'd have to assume it'd be a Sharkbite, or is that too cliché?

Seems like ordering a sharkbite at a shark bar might be like ordering an Irish carbomb in Ireland but I'm not sure.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You can get into the aquarium for free if you agree to feed the sharks.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
I can't say to a certainty whether or not the kid who jumped off the cruise ship got eaten by a shark, but Popov loving definitely got eaten by a shark.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

That’s some nice armchair psychology, too bad it isn’t true. the truth is drowning is boring and getting eaten by a shark is sensational

Hope that helps

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

It's just hard to believe that he could not swim such a short distance back to the ship. He's right there, it's just a couple of meters! I've personally swam even longer distances without issues before.

Maybe I'll try it out next time I'm on a ship and post the video here. Swimming a couple of meters is not an olympic feat, guys

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
He was drunk and we have no idea what the current was. It's entirely plausible for someone to go overboard at night and be lost, especially if they get eaten by a shark.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The reason people are insisting it's a shark is because of a lesser known narrative principle of Chekhov's known as "Chekhov's Shark".

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

GABA ghoul posted:

It's just hard to believe that he could not swim such a short distance back to the ship. He's right there, it's just a couple of meters! I've personally swam even longer distances without issues before.

Maybe I'll try it out next time I'm on a ship and post the video here. Swimming a couple of meters is not an olympic feat, guys

I’m team “looks like a shark, or at least a shark-shaped wave” but this is still discounting how easy it is to drown if you hit the water drunk and start panicking. Disoriented, flailing and not breathing right, and not an experienced swimmer who’s able to float in that state? It’s unnecessary to even add a current, people drown like that all the time once they lose control.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

coolusername posted:

Disoriented, Flailing and Not Breathing

Decent metal song name.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

maybe spongebob grabbed his legs and pulled him under and he's actually down there having wacky adventures with the whole spongebob gang right now

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GABA ghoul posted:

Make sure to get absolutely hammered first!

No, for real, being drunk in the water is crazy dangerous and contributes to a very high percentage of adults who drown. That boat had giant loving nets on the side to stop people from going over the side for exactly that reason.

Something like 15 years ago a friend of mine drowned in his parent's backyard pool. Guy was like 22, physically fit and healthy. Some combo of alcohol and medication was why.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If you show a splash on the first second of a grainy night video, you better have that splash attack and kill someone on the 10th second

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

UKJeff posted:

That’s some nice armchair psychology, too bad it isn’t true. the truth is drowning is boring and getting eaten by a shark is sensational

Hope that helps

lots of sensations involved

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I can't wait to see someone else eaten by a shark

I hope it follows them onto a beach next time and destroys some kids sand castle they worked on for HOURS

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sharks love to party. They're the Venga Boys of the ocean. Source: I am a shark expert.

You're the real mccoy.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Spinz posted:

I hope it follows them onto a beach next time

Anyone else still think about the raft from creepshow 2 sometimes?

:staredog:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I wonder what a shark's favorite drink is. Maybe it depends on the species.

definitely Hi-C

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Bad Purchase posted:

definitely Hi-C

I wonder if sharks have nostalgia for Ecto-Cooler

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Beer Gay So What posted:

So if this young dumb man did not get suddenly dragged underwater by sharks what is the explanation? Sudden massive ocean currents? Cthulu? Ocean Madness????

the Wet Willies

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

The reason people are insisting it's a shark is because of a lesser known narrative principle of Chekhov's known as "Chekhov's Shark".

I thought he got killed by a Jeep.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Almost Smart posted:

I thought he got killed by a Jeep.

Bark bark

Who's got the teens for the shark?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

cuttlefish took him into the ocean to teach them their ways and beliefs

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Little Mermaid.marketing stunt

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

meat police posted:

cuttlefish took him into the ocean to teach them their ways and beliefs

how young do you have to be to get adopted by wildlife? If 30 is the new 20 then 18 is the new 8 and cuttlefish just adopted their new Mowgli :colbert:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

His friends suck.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Vampire Panties posted:

how young do you have to be to get adopted by wildlife? If 30 is the new 20 then 18 is the new 8 and cuttlefish just adopted their new Mowgli :colbert:

they're just dragging around a cadaver at this point trynna teach it how to eat crab

never been so goddamn jealous in my life

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
Cameron means "shrimp" in Spanish. Makes you think

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

meat police posted:

they're just dragging around a cadaver at this point trynna teach it how to eat crab

never been so goddamn jealous in my life

Weekend at Bernies: Cancer means a lot of things - is gonna be lit

EDIT

Better Off Fish: Three cuttlefish in a human student costume try to get through a semester at college.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 11, 2023

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

new boot goofin posted:

Cameron means "shrimp" in Spanish. Makes you think

it means crooked nose in gaelic

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
So, if you're one of the dudes or dudeddes who conviced that guy to jump off the cruise.

[A] Are you proud of your new bragging rights about killing someone with words?
[B] Are you ashamed of having actually talked someone to death?
[C] Are you using your newfound power to escape unwanted "holding a speech" duties?

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Anyone else still think about the raft from creepshow 2 sometimes?

:staredog:

At least once a month, honestly.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
In case there hasn’t been enough warning already, do not watch the video of the Russian swimmer. No grainy ambiguity, just pure horrifying carnage and the terror of the victim and his onlookers. :stonk:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Wipfmetz posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Wipfmetz posted:

So, if you're one of the dudes or dudeddes who conviced that guy to jump off the cruise.

[A] Are you proud of your new bragging rights about killing someone with words?
[C] Are you using your newfound power to escape unwanted "holding a speech" duties?

With a little luck, they were too drunk to remember a thing :allears:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Lmao