Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Apple's WWDC event is tomorrow (6.5.23) at 10AM PDT. Expected to be announced are: iOS 17, iPad OS 17, macOS 14, watchOS 10, new Macs, Apple's mixed-reality headset and more.

Live YouTube stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYkq9Rgoj8E

You can also watch online at https://www.apple.com/apple-events/ or on the Apple TV app.

What are you most excited to see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I want to see emoji reacts in iMessage instead of ❤️ 👍 👎 Ha Ha !! ??

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If this isn’t kosher, mods can delete this, but I’m thinking about buying a developer account so I can get access to the iOS beta tomorrow. If anybody else was interested in being added my developer account so they could get access to the beta for $10 a year, pm me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
the VR/AR thing is something I don't really have an interest in, but I am really curious to see how Apple markets it and how they portray John Public using it. I want to know if they're gonna push it for "gaming" so whales can play match-3 games with the king/teddy bear/garden guy in glorious VR, or if you can...somehow pair it with your phone and send messages/read emails/watch apple tv in some really weird roundabout way?

More immediate to myself, im curious if they're gonna fix stage manager/multitasking in iPad OS 17 or if they're just gonna avoid it entirely and lean on how some certain new iPad OS 17 feature FCP/some other professional-lite apps better.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m curious how you demo a headset in a keynote.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

I’m curious how you demo a headset in a keynote.

Very carefully.

I know Apple has the mystique of solving things other companies can’t figure out, but I’m skeptical until shown otherwise. VR to me doesn’t seem to have a lot of practical uses outside of gaming.

Maybe if it’s ever at the point of what google glass was going for. Who wants to wear a headset while walking around all day, or even just sitting in the office for the day?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I know there will be some push for this in the consumer space, but I have to think a lot of this is also for professionals.

There's a huge push for AR/VR in stuff like healthcare and research/education. Apple has always had a big presence in education, and they've been pushing really hard to have that same presence in health care.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's a huge push for AR/VR in stuff like healthcare and research/education. Apple has always had a big presence in education, and they've been pushing really hard to have that same presence in health care.
Is there though? The people who make this stuff certainly have ideas for research/education but VR already exists and hasn't found anything but a few very specific niches. It's one thing to say "wouldn't it be cool if you could look inside a person?" and another to actually build the application to do that. Floating 3d repair manual is another one but is anyone, even Boeing or Airbus going to spend a hundred million dollars making that happen?

I'd be happy to be wrong but my gut says this is still a solution looking for a problem. A highly polished turd is still a piece of poo poo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I work with a few researchers who do VR stuff and I know they would absolutely love it if Apple provided the hardware and software for it. It's all pie in the sky until we actually see it of course.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

Is there though? The people who make this stuff certainly have ideas for research/education but VR already exists and hasn't found anything but a few very specific niches. It's one thing to say "wouldn't it be cool if you could look inside a person?" and another to actually build the application to do that. Floating 3d repair manual is another one but is anyone, even Boeing or Airbus going to spend a hundred million dollars making that happen?

I'd be happy to be wrong but my gut says this is still a solution looking for a problem. A highly polished turd is still a piece of poo poo.

this is always Apple’s biggest problem- for every success that births a paradigm shift and new normal and a billion accessories and applications that take advantage of it there’s a spot where Apple went “and now it’s The Market’s turn to fill in this big hole that we’ve deliberately left” and it doesn’t work out that way and often, like with the Trashcan Pro, an expensive product ends up languishing in limbo-hell like that for years.

It was more forgivable in the past when Apple was scrappy and An Alternative to something more mainstream, but now with enough money on hand to turn themselves into a bank its much less so, and feels more like a serial problem with neglect.

TLDR: Apple’s gonna have to spend a lot of their own money on software and experiences/content/etc to make this headset work

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I would bet that Apple's going to keep the iPad 9 around for at least 3 more years, it'll awkwardly be the last device on Lightning. I bet it's got enough CPU grunt to run most of the new stuff they're going to shove into iPad OS this year!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

qirex posted:

I think Apple is going to do the best job of anyone, but unless there's some groundbreaking I still tend to agree. There is still just too much friction to any VR enterprise experience. They're cool for a demo... and then they collect dust.

I still think it's gonna be neat as hell.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

this is always Apple’s biggest problem- for every success that births a paradigm shift and new normal and a billion accessories and applications that take advantage of it there’s a spot where Apple went “and now it’s The Market’s turn to fill in this big hole that we’ve deliberately left” and it doesn’t work out that way and often, like with the Trashcan Pro, an expensive product ends up languishing in limbo-hell like that for years.

It was more forgivable in the past when Apple was scrappy and An Alternative to something more mainstream, but now with enough money on hand to turn themselves into a bank its much less so, and feels more like a serial problem with neglect.

TLDR: Apple’s gonna have to spend a lot of their own money on software and experiences/content/etc to make this headset work

It’s the same thing with gaming: there is literally zero reason now for such low game support on Macs, given the power of Apple Silicon, except that Apple doesn’t view it as enough of a priority to put the resources into supporting the porting efforts, etc., that would be required to do so.

If they spent even a fraction of their annual dividend payments for areas such as this, Mac gaming would be in a much better place. Not that I think Steve Jobs would have actually done much better on this front, but I did appreciate his hatred of dividend payments.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dropping the big money on a headset preorder today. I believe in Apple.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I’m going to predict new software!!!!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Skeezy posted:

Dropping the big money on a headset preorder today. I believe in Apple.

:hai:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The first word out of the speakers mouth better be "headset". He can then introduce himself.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The headset is a Nintendo Labo cardboard cutout for an iPad 12.9inch pro.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SourKraut posted:

It’s the same thing with gaming: there is literally zero reason now for such low game support on Macs, given the power of Apple Silicon, except that Apple doesn’t view it as enough of a priority to put the resources into supporting the porting efforts, etc., that would be required to do so.

If they spent even a fraction of their annual dividend payments for areas such as this, Mac gaming would be in a much better place. Not that I think Steve Jobs would have actually done much better on this front, but I did appreciate his hatred of dividend payments.

yeah basically this

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

FlapYoJacks posted:

I’m going to predict new software!!!!

ChAtppleGPT

You can ask Apple what Steve Jobs would do if he dated Grimes instead.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Corb3t posted:

If this isn’t kosher, mods can delete this, but I’m thinking about buying a developer account so I can get access to the iOS beta tomorrow.
Have first betas from major releases been typically stable enough for this to be worthwhile? So far public betas seem to release pretty much the same time as developer betas, starting with DP2.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I’ll never get used to Apple’s super-produced videos/shows. I preferred the PowerPoints with funny comments/pictures, practical reveals, etc.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Nice rainbow Tim

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The app store is 15 years old?! :stare:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SourKraut posted:

Nice rainbow Tim

I don't think I've ever really listened to Timmy talk. His accent sounded familiar to me, and sure enough the dude is from Mobile AL.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

The app store is 15 years old?! :stare:

Yeah, that made me pause, and feel old.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are they just showing a video of Tim talking at Apple Park to people at Apple Park. Is he just like sitting there watching himself?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
dammit don't talk about the Mac

I have a meeting at 2pmEDT drat you Tim

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

dammit don't talk about the Mac

I have a meeting at 2pmEDT drat you Tim

ahahahaha yessss Big Air

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Why are they talking about the Mac? Are they talking about how you can plug the headset into it?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Americans love things bigger! BIGGER!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Based on that outfit, Kate lives in Boulder and drives a subaru.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bigger Air

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Remember when Apple didn’t release new hardware at WWDC for a while?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Hmmm. My Surface sucks. Might have to check out a Mac for my next laptop.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The new Air is the best 15" laptop? They are aware that they make a 15" MacBook Pro, right?

Big innovation on Apple Silicon on a slightly larger display though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

smackfu posted:

Remember when Apple didn’t release new hardware at WWDC for a while?

Because Intel is poo poo lol

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

12x faster than the Intel Air. Of course, they haven’t updated it since I was born, so that’s a low bar to clear.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

The new Air is the best 15" laptop? They are aware that they make a 15" MacBook Pro, right?

lmao no they don’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
This should have been “it’s the same Air you love, now with a 15” display. back to you, tim”