Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

Is there though? The people who make this stuff certainly have ideas for research/education but VR already exists and hasn't found anything but a few very specific niches. It's one thing to say "wouldn't it be cool if you could look inside a person?" and another to actually build the application to do that. Floating 3d repair manual is another one but is anyone, even Boeing or Airbus going to spend a hundred million dollars making that happen?

I'd be happy to be wrong but my gut says this is still a solution looking for a problem. A highly polished turd is still a piece of poo poo.

this is always Apple’s biggest problem- for every success that births a paradigm shift and new normal and a billion accessories and applications that take advantage of it there’s a spot where Apple went “and now it’s The Market’s turn to fill in this big hole that we’ve deliberately left” and it doesn’t work out that way and often, like with the Trashcan Pro, an expensive product ends up languishing in limbo-hell like that for years.

It was more forgivable in the past when Apple was scrappy and An Alternative to something more mainstream, but now with enough money on hand to turn themselves into a bank its much less so, and feels more like a serial problem with neglect.

TLDR: Apple’s gonna have to spend a lot of their own money on software and experiences/content/etc to make this headset work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SourKraut posted:

It’s the same thing with gaming: there is literally zero reason now for such low game support on Macs, given the power of Apple Silicon, except that Apple doesn’t view it as enough of a priority to put the resources into supporting the porting efforts, etc., that would be required to do so.

If they spent even a fraction of their annual dividend payments for areas such as this, Mac gaming would be in a much better place. Not that I think Steve Jobs would have actually done much better on this front, but I did appreciate his hatred of dividend payments.

yeah basically this

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

dammit don't talk about the Mac

I have a meeting at 2pmEDT drat you Tim

ahahahaha yessss Big Air

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

The new Air is the best 15" laptop? They are aware that they make a 15" MacBook Pro, right?

lmao no they don’t

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
gonna get one of those for my mom

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
water wet, sky blue, 3o wrong

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
That Mac Pro was p much everything I expected and yet so underwhelming. Hopefully it doesn’t cost too much more than the equivalent Studio

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Same except it'll be my favorite local pizza place

Who the hell cares about stickers? Am I getting pranked?

cool teens

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Autocorrect undo sounds loving awesome

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
FURRY FRIENDS

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Finally justifying those phone docking station stand things

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

smackfu posted:

I like how this needs a new stand design that literally wouldn’t have worked before today.

P sure it’ll work with like Anker stands and whatnot

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The widget gracefully animates

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

My husband legit exclusively uses his iPad for everything, he has literally not touched a real computer at home in years.

the Rod Huggins to your Pat, if you will

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lol Craig loving icing MacOS Dashboard

remember Dashboard?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Kojima got into Macs at their absolute bottom

Kojima sticking a fuckton of Macs and iPods into MGS4 at his own whim is one of the big reasons it’s not being rereleased

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

incoherent posted:

Apple could have sold 12 billion apple tvs if they just loving supported standard usb-c webcams.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
widgets

widgets everywhere

push the widget button

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the theme of todays wwdc is widgets

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Snoopy and Woodstock coming to watch

This is what we spend money on instead of game ports

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
this hiking stuff is actually really big. Apple Watch really lags behind Garmin in the dedicated true adventure watch category

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
JO sensing when

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

doesn't seem like it. is there a setting to flip this.

Yes. Yes there is. Omg

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
This is underwhelming, but so was the iPad at launch and enough people swear by that thing even in its perpetually vestigial state

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hatty posted:

How does the spacial audio works? Are there fat speakers in the band or something?

Uh presumably the same way it works with AirPods/etc? What?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
do multiple ppl ITT really not know about spatial audio software tricks?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kirios posted:

Oh sweet, Apple and Disney partnership.

I can't think of a more evil group.

at least it’ll make chuds mad

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

triple sulk posted:

there are no actual earbuds and it's strapped to your head

you prolly gotta wear earbuds with it for the spatial poo poo to work tho

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
oh boy a marvel thing, probably a game

that definitely won’t suck

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
now you can be inside espn when you watch it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

teagone posted:

This guy sounds like dollar tree Jony Ive.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
WTF who said bone conduction headphones you loving called it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

triple sulk posted:

they're afraid to talk about it too

word is this has been an extremely divisive product within the company, and a lot of the conflict has centered around the external battery

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

That Eye Sight is terrifying. They need to nix that.

no, I want to be able to customize what eyes my family sees

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
holy poo poo that DJ thing sucked so bad

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
You can run Adobe Lightroom (the iOS version)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

incoherent posted:

This is sort of what happened to the apple watch early life: they talked it up being a productivity boon when they should have talked about health health health.

In 2 versions they'll be selling this at every airport in the country with enough juice to get you from NYC to LA

The realized reality of everyone barely affording a room for rent wearing these as a replacement for a large TV.

Large TVs cost like $200 these days, $150 sometimes, in fact they and smartphones (which society and most jobs basically require you to own these days) have largely replaced refrigerators and microwaves as the Right Wing bugbear talking point du hour WRT things welfare queens own

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Aren’t you the one that framed it that way?

And most people in the US can’t afford a $3,500 sectional and coffee table. They’re settling for the $500 sectional and $50 coffee table from Big Lots or Walmart.

And a lot of “middle class” people are financing their $999 and $1999 full living room or master bedroom sets from Bob’s Discount Furniture or Raymour & Flanagan

the idea that $3500 can’t get you more than a pair of coffee tables or a small sofa is very “I only shop name brand”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

The median home price in Dallas is $413K, I assure you plenty of people can afford $3,499 for an amazing Apple gadget, even if you think people with $400k houses are "rich" and not "middle class".

guess what, dipshit, most of the people living in $400k homes in the United States are financing them with heretofore-unseen levels of lifetime debt, while amassing no real savings and living what amounts to a paycheck to paycheck existence, where more than a few weeks of unemployment would entirely ruin them and their families.

When I say “middle class” and use the scare quotes, I mean “middle class” with the scare quotes, which is what the overwhelming majority of “middle class” people in this country are. It’s married school psychologists making a combined $115k annual income and struggling to save for their three kids’ college educations along with $60k in car loans, $100k in student debt, and a mortgage on a $450k house.

I’m not talking about the pair of DINK trust fund gays who clear $320k annual combined and share a car and can comfortably make all of the payments on their $200k two bedroom luxury condo with ease while still dropping $10k on a lavish Tuscan cruise vacation for Two every single year