Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Who the gently caress is this knockoff jony ive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
He didn’t even say aluminum right

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I hope one of the first apps is just an app that projects a beer that you can pick up and pour

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I think it’s gonna be 2999 to 3999

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/hololens/buy

Microsoft’s thing is 3500

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don’t get why people are surprised it costs 3500. It’s obvious this isn’t for the average person but some office worker who can expense it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

triple sulk posted:

they never talked about the battery

2 hours on charge iirc

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The external battery supports up to 2 hours of use, and all‑day use when plugged in.1

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

triple sulk posted:

it's even better! you get to scan your face using the cameras on the front to make a 3d avatar of yourself that people see!

I mean I legit would love that ar head of me right now. I feel awkward on video calls because the camera placements and poo poo are weird and it would be cool if I could just scan my face and then turn off my camera forever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

theyre prolly working on a VisionAir(tm) that plugs directly into an iPhone. it'll be cheaper by offloading compute to the phone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SourKraut posted:

Aren’t you the one that framed it that way?

And most people in the US can’t afford a $3,500 sectional and coffee table. They’re settling for the $500 sectional and $50 coffee table from Big Lots or Walmart.

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/res...%20%2469%2C717.

according to this the mean income in the US was nearly 100k in 2021 and the median was nearly 70k. that's a lot of millions of people that can afford it though.

i'm not defending the price, but it's clear there is a market for these high priced extravagances if you'd step back and look at the bigger picture

also, it's a first gen product. it's going to run like poo poo and be priced like poo poo. we can expect the 2nd gen to be cheaper and more accessible.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So one thing I'm wondering is if the technology is there to create these mixed reality glasses that automagically compensate for myopia, so that Rx lenses or glasses/contact lenses aren't needed? I'm thinking about how when I get my eyes checked, I put my face on the thing and at first the image is blurry but then it measures some poo poo and adjusts some thing and bam I can see the image of the house in 20/20. Could future mixed reality headsets make use of this tech somehow so that I can just roll out of bed and put it on and viola?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

DINK trust fund gays