Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

this is always Apple’s biggest problem- for every success that births a paradigm shift and new normal and a billion accessories and applications that take advantage of it there’s a spot where Apple went “and now it’s The Market’s turn to fill in this big hole that we’ve deliberately left” and it doesn’t work out that way and often, like with the Trashcan Pro, an expensive product ends up languishing in limbo-hell like that for years.

It was more forgivable in the past when Apple was scrappy and An Alternative to something more mainstream, but now with enough money on hand to turn themselves into a bank its much less so, and feels more like a serial problem with neglect.

TLDR: Apple’s gonna have to spend a lot of their own money on software and experiences/content/etc to make this headset work

It’s the same thing with gaming: there is literally zero reason now for such low game support on Macs, given the power of Apple Silicon, except that Apple doesn’t view it as enough of a priority to put the resources into supporting the porting efforts, etc., that would be required to do so.

If they spent even a fraction of their annual dividend payments for areas such as this, Mac gaming would be in a much better place. Not that I think Steve Jobs would have actually done much better on this front, but I did appreciate his hatred of dividend payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I’ll never get used to Apple’s super-produced videos/shows. I preferred the PowerPoints with funny comments/pictures, practical reveals, etc.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Nice rainbow Tim

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

The app store is 15 years old?! :stare:

Yeah, that made me pause, and feel old.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Americans love things bigger! BIGGER!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

12x faster than the Intel Air. Of course, they haven’t updated it since I was born, so that’s a low bar to clear.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Mac Studio updated with M2 Max/Ultra

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

PROOOOO

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So it has PCIe expansion, but can it take GPUs? I noticed that it doesn’t appear to have the secondary MPX slots…

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

That Mac Pro was p much everything I expected and yet so underwhelming. Hopefully it doesn’t cost too much more than the equivalent Studio

I mean, the Ultra Studio will probably start at $4K still, so I’d assume that the ASi Mac Pro would start at $6K still?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

A top-tier Studio with TB4 external PCIe expansion box might end up being cheaper than the ASi Mac Pro :laugh:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

This is all boring, just get to the XR stuff.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The PDF stuff is nice/cool, but long overdue.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

If anyone has a Mac Pro, how easy is it to stuff it in a backpack and run a cable to a headset?

It does not fit into a backpack, hah.

But that’s what the Studio is for!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

teagone posted:

Why does everyone sound like their lines of dialogue are being AI generated in realtime?

In their never-ending war with nVidia, they saw Jensen’s horrible Computex AI showing and decided to one-up him!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Kojima got into Macs at their absolute bottom

Makes him a True Believer!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Comeon Apple, I want D4 on my Mac.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

LionArcher posted:

very annoyed I have to buy a window's machine to play diablo 4 and star field and can't play them on an M mac that I want to buy this summer

Yeah, Blizzard stopping most Mac development has been… very disappointing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Doctor Skeleton posted:

Quite the whiplash going from Kojima making games for Mac to “Video Conferencing” updates.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ok what’s left? WatchOS?

HomePods

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

illcendiary posted:

I mean, I think the headset is preposterously expensive and is going to fail. I just think comparing it to what you can get to outfit a living room is a weird way to frame it, again, unless you legitimately are just talking about TV screens

Aren’t you the one that framed it that way?

And most people in the US can’t afford a $3,500 sectional and coffee table. They’re settling for the $500 sectional and $50 coffee table from Big Lots or Walmart.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I was speaking more to the specifics:

illcendiary posted:

$3499 is like a small sectional and a decent coffee table

illcendiary posted:

And the price of small, kinda decent furniture, as much as that sucks. All I’m saying is $3500 won’t leave you with much of a living room setup unless you’re okay with a folding chair and a big TV

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/res...%20%2469%2C717.

according to this the mean income in the US was nearly 100k in 2021 and the median was nearly 70k. that's a lot of millions of people that can afford it though.

i'm not defending the price, but it's clear there is a market for these high priced extravagances if you'd step back and look at the bigger picture

also, it's a first gen product. it's going to run like poo poo and be priced like poo poo. we can expect the 2nd gen to be cheaper and more accessible.

Find actual data sources: https://www.census.gov/library/publications/2022/demo/p60-276.html

Median in 2021 was $70,784.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

guess what, dipshit, most of the people living in $400k homes in the United States are financing them with heretofore-unseen levels of lifetime debt, while amassing no real savings and living what amounts to a paycheck to paycheck existence, where more than a few weeks of unemployment would entirely ruin them and their families.

When I say “middle class” and use the scare quotes, I mean “middle class” with the scare quotes, which is what the overwhelming majority of “middle class” people in this country are. It’s married school psychologists making a combined $115k annual income and struggling to save for their three kids’ college educations along with $60k in car loans, $100k in student debt, and a mortgage on a $450k house.

I’m not talking about the pair of DINK trust fund gays who clear $320k annual combined and share a car and can comfortably make all of the payments on their $200k two bedroom luxury condo with ease while still dropping $10k on a lavish Tuscan cruise vacation for Two every single year

It’s marketed to those who buy touchscreen refrigerators, washers/dryers, toasters, microwaves, that they use after coming home in their Tesla and sitting across from their Apple Pro Display XDR and decked-out Mac Studio that they use to make memes and really nice iMovies with.