Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

just uh, casually admitting to attempting subliminal manipulation, nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

put on the goggles, shinji

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

KidDynamite posted:

put on the goggles, shinji

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

it's definitely going to end up like this

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Zamujasa posted:

eve online?

lol

rotor posted:

hahahaha

how did no one laugh? i laughed quite a bit

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

how did no one laugh? i laughed quite a bit

they only invite sycophants.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmfao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

i both love and hate this

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/JoannaStern/status/1665770213164343296

decent point

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

$3500, I'm guessing this isn't going to be the next iPhone. Even I had $3500 to spare I'm very unsure I'd blow it on the first iteration of a product with a vague use case

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

$3500, I'm guessing this isn't going to be the next iPhone. Even I had $3500 to spare I'm very unsure I'd blow it on the first iteration of a product with a vague use case

the $799 non-pro version in 3-4 years is gonna sell gangbusters though

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
lol

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1665838099920814080

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

akadajet posted:

I'm going to lol when this turns out to be true.

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol of course that idiot is

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"In my ten years working on VR projects, I've recognized it can be an incredibly nauseating, disorienting and confusing experience for some people. That's why I spent the last three years helping design Apple VisionPro to collect an absolutely absurd amount of biometric data and inject subliminal stimuli to help make it a better trip sitter"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

so yeah i finally read that and thats too much, its a really neat device but i feel like this poo poo spoils it for me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
coward

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

sterling crispy

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Vision Pro is an extremely stupid device that had a lot of money wasted on it but I'm not particularly bothered by the fact a ton of a research went into figuring out how your brain reacts to input from AR/VR goggles. I can only hope that research gets put into something useful at some point in the future instead of just a toy for overpaid morons.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fabricated posted:

The Vision Pro is an extremely stupid device that had a lot of money wasted on it but I'm not particularly bothered by the fact a ton of a research went into figuring out how your brain reacts to input from AR/VR goggles. I can only hope that research gets put into something useful at some point in the future instead of just a toy for overpaid morons.

it's going to be used to brainfuck you with ads. it's very bad that they researched it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it'll be put to use, for whose good is another matter

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

KidDynamite posted:

it's going to be used to brainfuck you with ads. it's very bad that they researched it.

yeah its this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

KidDynamite posted:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Expo70 posted:

Man, it kills me so bad.

the fact we don't split front and back end of "real" software the same way we do the web is both really good (security, privacy) but really bad (coherence, latency, interoperability)

the way i try explaining this is as if you had a polymorphic dashboard of primitives which can read stuff going on in a software you can't see and then just hook into and display or input relationships between those values and tweak those of others like sort of ux gloop that has some context inference and understands what its dealing with and can sort of envelop different portions of those softwares and pass information between them -- so software just sort of melts together and the boundary between something like blender and unreal engine or a laptop and a desktop in the same space just disappears -- like api discovery on steroids between desktop programs, where they can share spit-swap memory the same way they share files with some sort of master scheduling system for project objects between programs in realtime without the clumsiness of copying and pasting, or arbitrary datatypes by passing them through different analogues or something

like the revolution the operating system brought to computers initially, but *again* from scratch with all the lessons of human limitation and hindsights

likewise, the separation of compile-time and runtime was not something i was raised with and the fact you have to stop to change something instead of being able to change it safely while running costs so much time

like the entire way we think about human/computer interaction feels like its locked in ideas from the 1980's and it just won't ever move on

i gave a talk once like 10 years ago in london on this at some stupid event for yuppies when and i made the mistake of actually saying things i really thought to a room of technocrats which totally went over their heads

the cow-eyed looks i got basically told me "i can't even explain this adequately, let alone build it, so this isn't happening in my lifetime"

you want Smalltalk or a Lisp machine, OP

install Mezzano and start hacking

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I couldn’t help but think of every announcement was just a ploy by a developer for a giant bonus. New SDK = bonus, new store = bonus, new OS …

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

MrMoo posted:

I couldn’t help but think of every announcement was just a ploy by a developer for a giant bonus. New SDK = bonus, new store = bonus, new OS …

nah not that down low on the pay scale. directors and vps yes.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

eschaton posted:

you want Smalltalk or a Lisp machine, OP

install Mezzano and start hacking

Correct me if I'm wrong (i'm most likely wrong) but isn't "everything's exposed change whatever you want at runtime idgaf" also something that plan 9 does? I think I read something to that effect a couple of years back

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong (i'm most likely wrong) but isn't "everything's exposed change whatever you want at runtime idgaf" also something that plan 9 does? I think I read something to that effect a couple of years back

i think you're mixing plan9 up with something else, afaik it is not nearly that interesting.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

memory protection is for the weak

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/1666057189276917762?s=20

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

incredible

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

ok i'm sold

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'm gonna buy a 15" air to replace my 2018 mac mini, last intel computer i'll ever own i bet

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i think you're mixing plan9 up with something else, afaik it is not nearly that interesting.

I think they were thinking of Oberon which was designed by actual computer scientists at ETH and not by UNIX worshippers like Rob Pike

the Plan 9 and Oberon (and Andrew) graphical interfaces look superficially similar, if “black on white tiled windows with lots of text on a two-page display” can be considered similar

the Oberon system does so much more with so much less though by not confusing a convenience hack (“everything’s a file”) for a fundamental philosophy

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

used by whom?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

eschaton posted:

I think they were thinking of Oberon which was designed by actual computer scientists at ETH and not by UNIX worshippers like Rob Pike

YES! That was it! Thank you! <3

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

you can get a version that runs in a window and see how nicely and logically it all works together and you can just hack on the live system

it’s competitive with Smalltalk-80, or what the Lisp Machine could’ve been if someone had thought to try making a 68K LispM in 1980 (or a 68020 or i386 LispM in 1985, or a RISC LispM in 1990, or…)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

STEBE (PBUH) would have fired everyone involved in this debacle, then re-hired them so he can fire them again...