Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
poppin in to say the apple AR thing is slick as hell and light years ahead of the competition but I'm still not buyin one because I'm not walkin around with ski goggles on, no matter how cool they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

I mean, on the technical side, it is. you can do that when you have a price point 3-5x that of the other guys and also an in-house chip design department. the problems are all software and the core concept of face computing

software seems fine, its the "wearing a big thing on my face" thats the problem. This poo poo seems to be either too small to be useful or too big to be usable. Its a really hard line to walk and I honestly dont think you can do it without just changing how people and society feel about wearing big poo poo on your face. If anyone can its apple, but I aint doin it any time soon.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hahaha

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i really wish they had talked & demo'd more about the AR abilities and a lot less about watching movies and answering email.

frankly, it makes me suspicious.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

things i want to do with an AR headset:

* tilt brush, but interacting with the physical world
* setting little AR creations all over the place that you only see in AR
* display live tips about how to use a device overlaid on the device itself
* pokemon go but like turbo hyper edition

things i never want to do with an AR headset
* answer email
* use a browser
* be on zoom
* interact in any way at all with iTunes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

that's all there is. people have been chasing this for decades and it turns out it's not actually good at much besides being another screen

idk man that magic leap poo poo would be badass and i dont see why they cant make it happen with this thing unless there's something they're not telling us

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ikea cabinet build instructions but in AR would be fuckin tight, i could potentially finally assemble something right the first time

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

av/post combo is v strong here

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

you can't realistically make content that actually adapts to anything besides "put something on a flat surface"

I'm not sure thats true any more

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

this was what AR was supposed to be for, looking at stuff and being able to dive deeper into it instantly without taking your eyes off it

it turns out humans get really skeeved out by the even the possibility of someone doing it to them

??

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

unless you do a total stereo video passthrough as apple is doing here, but that's not what magic leap was selling.

I am aware that the magic leap poo poo was all fake, my point is that it is now possible/likely possible with this new apple device but it is worrying that we dont have demos for it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

but apple and disney with all the resources in the whole rear end world can't do it?

idk man i'm seeing a shitload of sensors and cameras and poo poo and ARKit is pretty robust so I am left wth a couple options:

(1) all that poo poo doesnt really work very well or
(2) this demo was premature and they dont have a lot of good demo content yet

None of these seem really likely.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

I would go with 2, this device has been so secret there are so few third party devs working on it

this is my guess but i could certainly be wrong

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

you don't generally create weird art with a $3500 paintbrush. i mean you could, but on average that's not going to select for the people creating weird art

wow do i ever have some news for you about the cost of art supplies

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My ipad pro from a few years ago cost over $2k (I got the 1TB option as it was the only way to get more RAM in the unit) and I use it for Clip Studio Paint almost exclusively and other than a new version with a bigger screen (I would kill for a 16" iPad specifically for keeping on your desktop for art apps) I can't see spending more than that for doing the same thing. I did buy a 30" Wacom Cintiq and that was over $2k but had to be hooked up to my computer. One day it stopped working and I'm glad I spent a few hundred bucks for an extended warranty because they said they couldn't repair it and just gave me the cost of the cintiq back.

yeah that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cintiqs are fuckin expensive as poo poo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk poo poo but my understanding is that there's a big dividing line in digital art where one side is cintiq+photoshop and the other side is ipad+procreate

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hahahaha

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Zamujasa posted:

eve online?

rotor posted:

hahahaha

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

so yeah i finally read that and thats too much, its a really neat device but i feel like this poo poo spoils it for me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

it's going to be used to brainfuck you with ads. it's very bad that they researched it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

4s/5/5s/original SE is the best design and form factor and all iphones should just be whatever the best guts are that can fit inside that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gently caress