Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

bump whenever you remember that joe is a devout Catholic who loves the church and everything it does and represents.

bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i aint pledging allegiance to no pope

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

end pape culture

speng31b
May 8, 2010

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

speng31b posted:

bump whenever you remember that joe is a devout Catholic who loves the church and everything it does and represents.

bump

I thought this article was a great primer on Joe Biden's worldview in terms of Catholic social teaching since the late 1800s. He hasn't followed it perfectly (see his railway union policy last year), but it's a pretty good summary of his views.

quote:

The letter Benedict wrote in 2009 was called “Caritas in Veritate” (“Charity in Truth”), a social encyclical that continued a long tradition of Catholic social teaching, the modern era of which began with Pope Leo XIII’s 1891 publication of “Rerum Novarum” (“About New Things”). As with many of these letters, including “Rerum Novarum,” Benedict’s encyclical emphasizes the need for unions and government obligations toward workers.

Catholic social teaching, like any theology, can get a bit wonky in its specialized vocabulary, but there are two key terms that show up often: solidarity, which references humans’ obligations to one another; and subsidiarity, which emphasizes how, all things being equal, social and political problems should be solved at the level closest to the ground. The left tends to emphasize solidarity, arguing that, as Leo put it when describing rights for the working class, “it cannot but be good for the commonwealth to shield from misery those on whom it so largely depends for the things that it needs.” In contrast, the right tends to emphasize subsidiarity, arguing that anything done by a government could be better done by a community center or a family or even an individual. These debates can sometimes be settled with a prudential agreement to let the evidence win out, but all too often it’s a way for ideologues to insist their way is really the best way for those who suffer.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/02/joe-biden-catholic-social-teaching-centrism.html

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
poop francid

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
lovely, but not as lovely as any flavor of Calvinism

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

ikanreed posted:

lovely, but not as lovely as any flavor of Calvinism

Absolutely. As a Catholic, here's my ranking of Christian denominations:

1. Catholic
2. Eastern Orthodox
3. Anglican (High Church)
4. Lutheran
5. Methodist
6. Anglican (Low Church)
7. Presbyterian
8. Calvinists
9. Baptists
10. Non-denominational
11. Those people that handle snakes

EDIT: Eh, actually, non-denoms aren't that bad. And the snakes are pretty cool... Oh, and I forget Oriental Orthodoxy! Those guys don't even accept the Council of Chalcedon of 451!

Hm...

William Bear has issued a correction as of 23:25 on Jun 5, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

rapey Joe

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"You hear about that new Nazi? I heard he used to be a pope!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

the thread is about Joe's being a papist, what were you thinking of?