Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

quit work, sell anything you dont need, live on your savings as long as possible as a NEET in your goon lair

I could probably make this work for a few years and its so tempting I could pretend covid was happening again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Every day of my life OP. Then I put on my knee pads and get back to my shift at the dicksucking factory like everyone else

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Brother Tadger posted:

Every day of my life OP. Then I put on my knee pads and get back to my shift at the dicksucking factory like everyone else

is it a cum factory?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Cash out everything I've got and drink myself to death under a bridge?

Tempting but probably wouldn't be able to find one with wifi access so id get all bored

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nah but that's probably because I don't work. MOM WHERE THE gently caress ARE MY CHICKEN TENDIES?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
another quality thread from
code:
P E N C I L H A N D S
E                   D
N                   N
C                   A
I                   H
L                   L
H                   I
A                   C
N                   N
D                   E
S D N A H L I C N E P

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh I literally did that at the end of last year, been trying to focus on my writing.

That said it is getting time to find a job again...

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Nooner posted:

Cash out everything I've got and drink myself to death under a bridge?

Tempting but probably wouldn't be able to find one with wifi access so id get all bored

no you rent out a tiny goon lair

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like my stuff, honestly.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
hahaha savings?

hahahahahahaha

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
So I actually kinda/sorta did this a few years back - I was desperately broke after COVID-related bullshit, so I ended up living in a SRO (basically a hotel room) for six months. :350: all day every day, take the dog to the park across the street, binge media & games, live off delivery.

It wasn't a great experience per se, partially because the specific place I was staying was really sketchy and weird, but also.. its kinda unfulfilling to disconnect from society to gently caress off and play video games. I'm not exactly willing to clean up my ways and find a wife, but it put the entire idea of being a perma-goon in perspective*

*:lol: gently caress no it just made me want to buy a boat, so I could live that way forever with different scenery. gently caress people, isolation and the internet rules, hard

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Back in 2019 I was living in a van on PCH that I bought after getting 2 grand on a craigslist gig and working at a Shake Shack in the Century City mall. I was taking some "time off" from "real" work and just slacking off, it was summer, I was digging being in my late 20s and not having any real responsibilities for once. One night on my way to my spot after work, the van broke down, I got hit by an Uber/Lyft. There was a miscommunication between the manager I told about when I would be coming back to work and they ended up firing me because they thought I stopped showing up. Long story short, I took the insurance money (about 2 grand), bought a one way ticket to Europe (that's all the money I had along with my last paycheck). It was pretty cool, I recommend it. I ended up living in Europe for about 5 months, Italy for a little bit, took a bus to Berlin, met someone who got me a job in West Germany at a burrito shop for a little while. I left Germany at the end of January in 2020, did up the UK for about a month (London hostels and Glasgow with friends), ended up getting another one way ticket to Marrakech. I thought it was a good idea because when I was living on PCH I was trying to find a place to buy bubble hash - an older type of hash that everywhere in California would sell back in 2008-2012, pretty much until dabs became popular. I couldn't find any, but I found a company in Colorado and a company in Washington making what they called "Moroccan style hash", and it looked exactly like what I was trying to smoke. So when I was in London figuring out where to go with a few hundred bucks, a one way ticket to Marrakech for £ 80 seemed like a really good idea, especially since a hostel was about $5 a night. It was either that or Nepal, and Nepal has a couple hundred dollar fee for a visa upon arrival, which I couldn't afford.

So I was living in Marrakech, smoking hash, drinking wine, meeting people. I had no money, I arrived with about $600. So I would go to the markets and buy up stuff for friends in the US. It's an open market so you can negotiate - I'd take pictures of things and get a pre negotiation price and sell them to people in the US for a little more than that, and I'd go back and negotiate. I could make $30 profit on a fancy chess board and that would get my hostel for a week. I was doing this up until COVID lock downs, which took into effect in the first couple weeks of March. Once that happened, everything was shut down. I turned down a repatriation flight because I was on a one way ticket anyways, but also because I wasn't really thinking how severe COVID would be - who did? I ended up staying in the Marrakech for about 5 or 6 months until they opened the borders back out of the country. Luckily, I became friends with the person who was managing the hostel I was at and when the hostel had to shut down, he invited me to live with him and his family at their Riad in the Medina. I was definitely the only American and probably the only white guy living that deep in Marrakech at the time. There were almost no foreigners in the entire country that weren't there in some official capacity, ie not on a tourist visa or already an expat. It was a pretty cool experience - I have loads of friends in Marrakech now and even a god son.

The mind set I had before I left the country, which I credit in big part to working in a kitchen, was that people come to America all the time and make it work. Back of house in the kitchen, my best coworkers and I speak different languages. It shouldn't be that hard - and on a one way and overseas, with limited money, I figured I'd be pushed to make it work or else. Worst comes to worst, I'd at least be homeless in Europe with a backpack and have some kind of mystique to me and an ice breaker for conversation. I was also on a big Anthony Bourdain kick because of the kitchen. Also, prior to the kitchen, I spent a good amount of years body building, and really learned to appreciate Arnold Schwarzenegger. Besides the bodybuilding, I saw him as someone who came to my state/my country from somewhere totally different, without speaking the language, and really being a part of, up to even being the governor of the state. So I figured I had qualities relatable to these people that more or less did the ideal, I mean I was a body builder from California and worked in a kitchen, if Anthony Bourdain and Arnold Schwarzenegger could do something as some combination of those, maybe I could too.

I didn't speak the language in any of the countries I went except the UK (I'm from California, I speak English, a bit of Spanish) so I would learn to say hello, good bye, please, and thank you. I found that was enough for most people, also being from California helped. Everyone has a California dream and when I was traveling I identified as a Californian first and American second, and everyone I met I basically had an attitude of thank you for having me, if you're ever in California, I'll have you too. There's something about going where you don't speak the language and that's far away that I feel like makes it easier than trying to do the same thing in the United States. Like, I don't think I could have gotten a one way bus ticket to like, Northern California weed country and done the same type of thing. And that's not even a different state.

So, if you find yourself fantasizing about quitting and riding out, if you're in a position to do it, I definitely recommend it. There's a world of opportunity and if you just Nike that poo poo (just do it), you will probably find you'll get a lot farther than you thought. I ended up coming back to the United States because the length of the Covid lock downs really had me worried I might not see my friends or family if I didn't come back when things reopened. Again, I didn't know how serious/not serious it was. So I ended up coming back in July of 2020. All in all, I made it about 10 months having started off with a one way ticket and $2,000. I had no plan, so if you do it with some kind of plan, and similar or more resources, it's totally possible to ride it out way longer than I did!

Trollipop fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 6, 2023

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

code:
P E N C I L H A N D S
E                   D
N                   N
C                   A
I                   H
L                   L
H                   I
A                   C
N                   N
D                   E
S D N A H L I C N E P

Weird spelling of w i z a r d j u n i o r

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin

Vampire Panties posted:

So I actually kinda/sorta did this a few years back - I was desperately broke after COVID-related bullshit, so I ended up living in a SRO (basically a hotel room) for six months. :350: all day every day, take the dog to the park across the street, binge media & games, live off delivery.

It wasn't a great experience per se, partially because the specific place I was staying was really sketchy and weird, but also.. its kinda unfulfilling to disconnect from society to gently caress off and play video games. I'm not exactly willing to clean up my ways and find a wife, but it put the entire idea of being a perma-goon in perspective*

*:lol: gently caress no it just made me want to buy a boat, so I could live that way forever with different scenery. gently caress people, isolation and the internet rules, hard

I've also done this. I worked for a couple months after that big trip, then ended up getting Covid unemployment (ugh I wish I had that when I was gone - I would probably still be out of the US). Lived in a ~$50 per night motel with food stamps. Meet lots of interesting characters.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

No, I don't, Mr. Dollar Store Wizard Master.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
I did this (I'm doing it right now). The only interesting thing was how long I could keep from going outside at a time. At this point I'm so socially and capably inept I don't think I can re-enter society successfully. Would not recommend.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Trollipop posted:

I thought it was a good idea because when I was living on PCH I was trying to find a place to buy bubble hash - an older type of hash that everywhere in California would sell back in 2008-2012, pretty much until dabs became popular.
:hmmyes: I remember that hash being basically everywhere then. It was pretty good.

Trollipop posted:

I've also done this. I worked for a couple months after that big trip, then ended up getting Covid unemployment (ugh I wish I had that when I was gone - I would probably still be out of the US). Lived in a ~$50 per night motel with food stamps. Meet lots of interesting characters.

Yeah met a lot of very interesting characters. I took the dog to the park across the street around 3-4pm, and as I'm walking back to the place I saw a bunch of cop cars with their lights on, surrounding an empty golf cart. As I walked into the building and to my floor, I passed a cop with his gun drawn waiting in the stairwell. Cop looks at me, looks at me looking at his gun, and does the "Oh this? psshh" look. I ask if its OK to go past and he's like "oh yeah its fine, we have to set up a watch because we're forcibly extracting someone". I'm like "oh yeah makes sense :stonklol:". Turns out my tweaker neighbor had completely stopped paying rent months ago because of COVID, and the SRO place had finally wound its way through the eviction hiatus to force the dude out of the place. The tweaker was informed and knew that this was coming, so they rationally decided to get mega-high and steal a golf cart from a house around the corner. As I understand it, the golf carts owner caught the tweaker in the act (what with it being 2-3pm in the afternoon at this point) and chased him on foot to the SRO. I think the tweaker surrendered themselves to the cops maybe a half hour later.

:shrug: I only left because the electrical circuits to the room weren't very powerful, so I couldn't run AC and a hot plate (for example). Also the building was ancient and the water had a metallic taste that wouldn't filter out, so hauling all my drinking water was a major PITA.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Suspect A posted:

I did this (I'm doing it right now). The only interesting thing was how long I could keep from going outside at a time. At this point I'm so socially and capably inept I don't think I can re-enter society successfully. Would not recommend.

goondolences!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

pencilhands posted:

quit work, sell anything you dont need, live on your savings as long as possible as a NEET in your goon lair

I could probably make this work for a few years and its so tempting I could pretend covid was happening again

You're supposed to do this eventually, it's called retirement.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Trollipop posted:

Back in 2019 I was living in a van on PCH that I bought after getting 2 grand on a craigslist gig and working at a Shake Shack in the Century City mall. I was taking some "time off" from "real" work and just slacking off, it was summer, I was digging being in my late 20s and not having any real responsibilities for once. One night on my way to my spot after work, the van broke down, I got hit by an Uber/Lyft. There was a miscommunication between the manager I told about when I would be coming back to work and they ended up firing me because they thought I stopped showing up. Long story short, I took the insurance money (about 2 grand), bought a one way ticket to Europe (that's all the money I had along with my last paycheck). It was pretty cool, I recommend it. I ended up living in Europe for about 5 months, Italy for a little bit, took a bus to Berlin, met someone who got me a job in West Germany at a burrito shop for a little while. I left Germany at the end of January in 2020, did up the UK for about a month (London hostels and Glasgow with friends), ended up getting another one way ticket to Marrakech. I thought it was a good idea because when I was living on PCH I was trying to find a place to buy bubble hash - an older type of hash that everywhere in California would sell back in 2008-2012, pretty much until dabs became popular. I couldn't find any, but I found a company in Colorado and a company in Washington making what they called "Moroccan style hash", and it looked exactly like what I was trying to smoke. So when I was in London figuring out where to go with a few hundred bucks, a one way ticket to Marrakech for £ 80 seemed like a really good idea, especially since a hostel was about $5 a night. It was either that or Nepal, and Nepal has a couple hundred dollar fee for a visa upon arrival, which I couldn't afford.

So I was living in Marrakech, smoking hash, drinking wine, meeting people. I had no money, I arrived with about $600. So I would go to the markets and buy up stuff for friends in the US. It's an open market so you can negotiate - I'd take pictures of things and get a pre negotiation price and sell them to people in the US for a little more than that, and I'd go back and negotiate. I could make $30 profit on a fancy chess board and that would get my hostel for a week. I was doing this up until COVID lock downs, which took into effect in the first couple weeks of March. Once that happened, everything was shut down. I turned down a repatriation flight because I was on a one way ticket anyways, but also because I wasn't really thinking how severe COVID would be - who did? I ended up staying in the Marrakech for about 5 or 6 months until they opened the borders back out of the country. Luckily, I became friends with the person who was managing the hostel I was at and when the hostel had to shut down, he invited me to live with him and his family at their Riad in the Medina. I was definitely the only American and probably the only white guy living that deep in Marrakech at the time. There were almost no foreigners in the entire country that weren't there in some official capacity, ie not on a tourist visa or already an expat. It was a pretty cool experience - I have loads of friends in Marrakech now and even a god son.

The mind set I had before I left the country, which I credit in big part to working in a kitchen, was that people come to America all the time and make it work. Back of house in the kitchen, my best coworkers and I speak different languages. It shouldn't be that hard - and on a one way and overseas, with limited money, I figured I'd be pushed to make it work or else. Worst comes to worst, I'd at least be homeless in Europe with a backpack and have some kind of mystique to me and an ice breaker for conversation. I was also on a big Anthony Bourdain kick because of the kitchen. Also, prior to the kitchen, I spent a good amount of years body building, and really learned to appreciate Arnold Schwarzenegger. Besides the bodybuilding, I saw him as someone who came to my state/my country from somewhere totally different, without speaking the language, and really being a part of, up to even being the governor of the state. So I figured I had qualities relatable to these people that more or less did the ideal, I mean I was a body builder from California and worked in a kitchen, if Anthony Bourdain and Arnold Schwarzenegger could do something as some combination of those, maybe I could too.

I didn't speak the language in any of the countries I went except the UK (I'm from California, I speak English, a bit of Spanish) so I would learn to say hello, good bye, please, and thank you. I found that was enough for most people, also being from California helped. Everyone has a California dream and when I was traveling I identified as a Californian first and American second, and everyone I met I basically had an attitude of thank you for having me, if you're ever in California, I'll have you too. There's something about going where you don't speak the language and that's far away that I feel like makes it easier than trying to do the same thing in the United States. Like, I don't think I could have gotten a one way bus ticket to like, Northern California weed country and done the same type of thing. And that's not even a different state.

So, if you find yourself fantasizing about quitting and riding out, if you're in a position to do it, I definitely recommend it. There's a world of opportunity and if you just Nike that poo poo (just do it), you will probably find you'll get a lot farther than you thought. I ended up coming back to the United States because the length of the Covid lock downs really had me worried I might not see my friends or family if I didn't come back when things reopened. Again, I didn't know how serious/not serious it was. So I ended up coming back in July of 2020. All in all, I made it about 10 months having started off with a one way ticket and $2,000. I had no plan, so if you do it with some kind of plan, and similar or more resources, it's totally possible to ride it out way longer than I did!

I didn't read this, god bless.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

code:
P E N C I L H A N D S
E                   D
N      Dollar       N
C                   A
I      Store        H
L                   L
H   Wizard Master   I
A                   C
N                   N
D                   E
S D N A H L I C N E P

Just joking haha, this is a good thread.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Like most software engineers my fantasy is tono longer be anywhere near computer and be living in the woods in the trees and scurry around like a critter and eat mushrooms and leaves and wild game and make fire and maybe bring a dog to keep me company but I can never do this because I have almost no outdoor survival skills and would absolutely die.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
That's called retirement OP

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pencil Master

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

thin blue whine posted:

hahaha savings?

hahahahahahaha

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin

drilldo squirt posted:

I didn't read this, god bless.

I don't blame you :dawkins101:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Brother Tadger posted:

Can't just quit your job when you work from home.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
reading the thread title i thought it was about an edging fetish

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

BigBadSteve posted:

MrQwerty posted:

code:
P E N C I L H A N D S
E                   D
N      Dollar       N
C                   A
I      Store        H
L                   L
H   Wizard Master   I
A                   C
N                   N
D                   E
S D N A H L I C N E P
Just joking haha, this is a good thread.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I THINK YOU KNEW THAT THE THREAD TITLE CAN ONLY CONTAIN SO MANY LETTERS, YOU ARE BEING SILLY!! SILLY WITH YOUR THREAD TITLE!!!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

pencilhands posted:

is it a cum factory?

The cum is more of a byproduct of the dicksucking fabrication process, and much like other industries it just gets dumped in a nearby river.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off
I fantasize about doing this, but then I worry that one unexpected medical bill will bankrupt me. I guess I still worry about that.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
i can see a point on the horizon where i could quit my job and retire or at least go part time but im also having the sad/terrible realisation that i have no idea what I would do with my freedom from work

no dream, no cause, no passion i want to share with the world

my focus for the next few years is to find one of the above so that i dont end up working simply because i have nothing better to do

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
i beat my boss in a dicksucking contest

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I fantasize about quitting work and riding your mum as long as possible, OP.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No shame in being a metered rasterbator

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I did this a year ago and have more money than when I started so I'll keep going, feels good tbh. Sometimes I consult for my former employer for about 2 hours a week. Turns out you can't pay me enough to sit through a bullshit meeting anymore so maybe I'm broken now.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
No op, because I have a good job with decent insurance and my wife had cancer so if I lose that insurance and her cancer comes back it’s called a “pre-existing condition” and won’t be covered op! :patriot:

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I’d have to fake my own death and collect the life insurance to have any quality of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
It's our goal but we probably won't be in that position for another 7 - 10 years or so

And then we're gonna move to another country so that we don't have to worry about wiping out our entire nest egg due to a medical emergency