Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It boggles my mind that 29% of democrats are tuned out enough that they’re not sure enough about this DeSantis fellow to say they view him unfavorably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

we need new thread tags. like come on who cares about michael steele anymore? this one was clearly created in 2008.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Kalli posted:

Gonna go ahead and say the Disney thing doesn't seem to be working out too well for Ron

https://twitter.com/NavigatorSurvey/status/1669359093860175877

Remember when DeSantis was the "Trump But Competent" boogeyman of these forums?

Not that that was entirely wrong--he's definitely been incredibly harmful in Florida. But he is crumbling so, so hard, and he hasn't even been exposed to a Trump Burn yet. Disney in particular feels like the dumbest fight he could have possibly picked--he'd already polished up his bigot credentials, going after Disney for being woke is a fight that you are never going to win, is attacking a massive state employer for reasons that not that many people actually care about to that degree, and isn't really going to win you anyone.

I think by the time 2028 rolled around, his position would have already fallen apart as decisions like that came home to roost, so he has to run this time, except Trump still exists. And the Disney issue is moving way faster than I think he anticipated. It's such an own goal.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Not that that was entirely wrong--he's definitely been incredibly harmful in Florida. But he is crumbling so, so hard, and he hasn't even been exposed to a Trump Burn yet. Disney in particular feels like the dumbest fight he could have possibly picked--he'd already polished up his bigot credentials, going after Disney for being woke is a fight that you are never going to win, is attacking a massive state employer for reasons that not that many people actually care about to that degree, and isn't really going to win you anyone.

I think the Disney thing was DeSantis putting all of his chips on becoming the new Evangelical poster boy. Like, sure, the average American likes Disney, but Evangelicals have hated it for decades, so openly picking a fight with Disney after buttering them up with the Don't Say Gay bill was him spiking the football and hoping the Southern Baptist Convention would give him their blessing as this election's Fighter for Christ. Considering Evangelicals all publicly lining up behind Trump won him the candidacy (and eventual presidency) in 2016, it makes sense that you'd try to pull stunts like this to get them on your side.

He just didn't factor in that Evangelicals still really like Trump, for as much performative grumbling they do. Like, sure, you have a few :decorum: Evangelicals that jumped off the Trump Train here and there, but most of them are still as MAGA as they ever were. He didn't get any of the short-term gains he was expecting, so there's nothing offsetting the long-term ramifications, so he's pretty boned.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, it’s a rock and a hard place for DeSantis. He’ll be out of the governor’s office in 2026, and running in 2028 assumes that anyone remembers him, cares, and that his positions are relevant and likable by whatever makes up the GOP base at that point. And if he’s drinking his own supply, he’s pretty sure that 2028 is going to be Trump anointing a successor or some other Republican running for re-election and then he’s completely out of it.

So his best shot had to be a 2024 run, with the hope that Trump bows out/dies and leaves the road clear for DeSantis to run the table as the most organized, most serious, most known candidate. Which could still happen. But DeSantis’ run has also turned out to be based on a much larger hope that is being clearly dashed, which is DeSantis’ hope that he has any charisma and appeal at all. And he just doesn’t. Every anecdote being told so far about his campaign is how clearly awful he is at basic politics and at coming across as someone human and relatable. Which is nice.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its hilarious that he didnt try to just ride the "Trump but competent/doesnt tweet" wave for as long as possible. Like dude just keep a low profile and theres a good chance Trump Trumps himself into some more dumb poo poo then you just have to deal with the single digit people.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Chris Christie finding out what modern GOP evangelical christianity is all about

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/chris-christie-shouts-down-trump-172713912.html

Chris Christie Shouts Down Trump Supporters at Evangelical Conference: ‘You Can Boo All You Want’

quote:

Chris Christie drew boos at an evangelical conference on Friday when he told attendees that Donald Trump had “let us down.”

“I’m running because he’s let us down,” the 2024 Republican presidential hopeful said of the former president, who has been charged with 37 counts relating to the Espionage Act after failing to return several boxes of hundreds of classified documents he had taken from the White House.

“He has let us down because he’s unwilling. He’s unwilling to take responsibility for any of the mistakes that were made and any of the faults that he has, and any of the things that he’s done. And that is not leadership, everybody. That is a failure of leadership.”

That’s when the crowd began to boo. “You can boo all you want,” Christie continued, eventually drawing cheers and applause after saying, “But here’s the thing: Our faith teaches us that people have to take responsibility for what they do. People have to stand up and take accountability for what they do.”

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

“He has let us down because he’s unwilling. He’s unwilling to take responsibility for any of the mistakes that were made and any of the faults that he has, and any of the things that he’s done. And that is not leadership, everybody. That is a failure of leadership.”

Christie, to the hooting masses, he never made a mistake and has no faults. They think he's perfection. He'd probably still win the nomination if he was dead.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Meatball posted:

Christie, to the hooting masses, he never made a mistake and has no faults. They think he's perfection. He'd probably still win the nomination if he was dead.

"Boooooo, this man conflating Christianity with character and morality!"

I know that evangelical christians have been terrible assholes for a long time but to ultimately settle on Donald J. Trump as their messiah - a man who openly and publicly commits at least one of the seven deadly sins every hour of his life - is still amazing to witness.

E

I love how horrible rear end in a top hat Chris Christie is now the new model for a Reasonable Republican too. Who was it last time? Kasich I guess?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 27, 2023

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Just popping in to say it's gonna be Trump and everyone knows it. I would've commented earlier but I was cleaning pudding out of my keyboard.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

American Christians have always ever been about power, be it locally over your community or on the national stage. Everything else is window dressing so trying to be like “not very christ like hmm” is moot. It’s a hierarchy whose purpose is to allow those in its structure to grind those considered lower under their boot. Not going all in on Trump would’ve been weirder, to be honest

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/early-republican-veepstakes/story?id=100446914

abcnews posted:

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem and Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds are viewed as well-positioned to be vice presidential picks by sources who know them and outside GOP strategists, and current presidential candidates like former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley and South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott are constantly beating back conjecture that they're actually seeking to set up camp at the Naval Observatory instead of at the White House.

abcnews posted:

Beyond Noem and Reynolds, operatives who spoke with ABC News also mentioned people like Arkansas Gov. Sarah Sanders and Tennessee Sen. Marsha Blackburn as potential picks.

In Similar News:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I think the Disney thing was DeSantis putting all of his chips on becoming the new Evangelical poster. Like, sure, the average American likes Disney, but Evangelicals have hated it for decades

And you know why they really hate Disney, deep down?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

AsInHowe posted:

And you know why they really hate Disney, deep down?

Competition on the fairy tale front?

I first remember them hating on them in the 90s when they started allowing same sex partners to get health benefits. Imagine being that angry someone got insurance.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Competition on the fairy tale front?

I first remember them hating on them in the 90s when they started allowing same sex partners to get health benefits. Imagine being that angry someone got insurance.

Competition in the children's content business.

Disney makes $87 billion in revenue per year. How much of that money is coming from Christian or conservative families, money that could otherwise be going to them?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Huckabee Sanders is the biggest toadie by far in that group.

If one of them gets it, I'll be her.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

In Similar News:

God bless 2016 for inoculating me against believing election surveys/forecasts ever again. Anything can happen, chaos reigns.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

statistical analysis was not invalidated by the 2016 presidential election

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

i say swears online posted:

statistical analysis was not invalidated by the 2016 presidential election

Of course not, but low odds of an outcome can still happen, especially if polling errors blind analysts.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat that's crazy

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Space Fish posted:

God bless 2016 for inoculating me against believing election surveys/forecasts ever again. Anything can happen, chaos reigns.

It was really just a lesson that something with a 33% chance of happening actually does happen one in three times.

PortobelloPirate
Jul 5, 2023
X-COM prepared me for this decades ago.

“Oh, the enemy has a 1% chance to hit. Surely I’ll be fine”

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

cross post from USCE

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It doesn't really matter because there is a 0.0001% chance that Mike Pence wins the primary, but he explicitly came out and endorsed the idea that you need to raise taxes on the bottom 50% and cut them for "the rich" that most Republicans are smart enough to cloak a little.

He took the Mitt Romney position (roughly half of Americans pay no federal income tax - this is bad and they need to pay some taxes to get skin in the game to get them excited about tax cuts) and combined it with "I don’t really buy into the rich need to pay their fair share."

I don't think this is even an especially popular position among the Republican base.

He is definitely not running for a VP slot, so it becomes even more confusing why he decided to end his career this way.

https://twitter.com/American_Bridge/status/1676643909391228950

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my first thought is that he doesn't care about votes right now but does care about donations. possible he needs a sugar daddy to carry him through iowa and this could nab one

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Charlz Guybon posted:

Huckabee Sanders is the biggest toadie by far in that group.

If one of them gets it, I'll be her.

Please don’t insult toads by comparing them to Huckabee Sanders

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

God what a poo poo show

First GOP debate next month faces threats of boycott as lower-polling candidates scramble to qualify

quote:

NEW YORK (AP) — Seven weeks before the premiere debate of the 2024 GOP primary, anxiety is building that the event could prove messy and divisive for the party.

Some candidates, like former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson, are struggling to meet fundraising and polling requirements to make it on stage. He and others are pushing back on a loyalty pledge the Republican Party is insisting candidates sign to participate. And the race's frontrunner, former President Donald Trump, is considering boycotting and holding a competing event instead.

That's turning what is typically the highly anticipated opener of the election season into a source of uncertainty for the candidates and broader party. The frustration is particularly acute for candidates who hoped to use the forum as a powerful opportunity to confront Trump and try to blunt his momentum.

“If the outcome of all of these machinations is a very limited field and no Trump in the first debate, it's hard to see how that can be successful," Hutchinson said in an interview. Still, he said he was confident he will make it to the stage, even though he said he has only received contributions from “over" 5,000 donors.

This is all about Trump and these people at least trying to act reasonable and poo poo need to realize what they've created, a cult, and that their voters are full on all about it.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/14/biden-and-dnc-bring-in-72-million-in-second-quarter-00106360

Holly Otterbein reports Trump has raised $35 mil while Ron has raised $20 mil. Interestingly, Joe had spent 25% more than Don at this point in Oct 2020.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DeSantis lays off 1/3rd of his staff, like 38 people.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/25/desantis-lets-go-of-more-than-1-3-of-campaign-staff-as-reset-continues-00108046

Article points out that aside from all the Ron in disarray stuff, a bunch of the top people were replaced recently, so likely this is mostly replacing some lovely hangers on with new hangers on.

That said always a great sign:

quote:

They also said they would aim to reduce costs by doing smaller, more intimate events and cutting down its travel expenditures.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Desantis fired some guy for putting Nazi imagery in a campaign video

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/ron-desantis-fires-staffer-retweeted-video-nazi-imagery-rcna96285

quote:

“Nate Hochman is no longer with the campaign,” a campaign official said. “And we will not be commenting on him further.”

The official did not say whether the retweet factored in the decision, which was first reported by Semafor.

Hochman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Hochman shared a video from the Twitter account @desantiscams that criticized former President Donald Trump and concluded with an image of DeSantis standing in front of a sonnenrad — a symbol co-opted by the Nazis and promoted in modern times by fascist sympathizers — as soldiers marched by.

Republican strategist Luke Thompson, a regular critic of the DeSantis campaign on Twitter, first noted the video. The account has shared similarly styled pro-DeSantis videos since it launched in March.

https://twitter.com/ltthompso/status/1683126870106144769

It's weird how this happens when all of your staffers are groypers from the Yale College Republican club

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't know, desantiscams reads too much like "DeSantis Scams".

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
In retrospect, maybe launching a presidential campaign with no concrete plans other than "hire people to make meme videos catering exclusively to a specific brand of early-20's Twitter cryptofascist" wasn't a very good idea!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

In retrospect, maybe launching a presidential campaign with no concrete plans other than "hire people to make meme videos catering exclusively to a specific brand of early-20's Twitter cryptofascist" wasn't a very good idea!

I mean the plan, at least from my perspective was:

1) Say you are running as a Trump-like (x)
2) Scare other people from running ( )
3) Hope Trump's legal problems prevent him from running ( )
4) Somehow get good media coverage - Incomplete, he did until he didn't
5) Rally the base around you ( )

I know in USPol I mentioned No Labels but my guess is they are getting more coverage because the Republicans are floundering for a national figure at the moment.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Just popping in to say it's gonna be Trump and everyone knows it. I would've commented earlier but I was cleaning pudding out of my keyboard.

Well better use this while it still got some life in it then

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know, desantiscams reads too much like "DeSantis Scams".

I read it as "DeSantis cams" which isn't much better :gonk: he's free to do what he wants in his spare time ig but I don't wanna hear about it

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean the plan, at least from my perspective was:

1) Say you are running as a Trump-like (x)
2) Scare other people from running ( )
3) Hope Trump's legal problems prevent him from running ( )
4) Somehow get good media coverage - Incomplete, he did until he didn't
5) Rally the base around you ( )

I know in USPol I mentioned No Labels but my guess is they are getting more coverage because the Republicans are floundering for a national figure at the moment.

Yeah Ron's campaign strategy makes sense on paper. In practice he keeps face-planting on every little thing

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah Ron's campaign strategy makes sense on paper. In practice he keeps face-planting on every little thing

As long as Trump is still in the race, running your campaign message as "Trump is great, Trump won the election in 2016 and 2020, he is being railroaded, even though I definitely think he won in 2016 and 2020 I also think he might be unelectable and you should vote for me because I am almost as great as Trump" is going to be a losing strategy.

DeSantis also doesn't really have a compelling reason to be the race or have a distinctive platform. If you asked someone to sum up DeSantis' campaign message in less than 5 words, could anyone do it? Could you get 80 out of 100 people to give you the same answer when you asked them?

Say what you will about them personally or how they ran their campaigns, but Trump, Obama, Bernie Sanders, George W. Bush, Howard Dean, and John McCain all had very clear messages and narratives around why they were running to be President.

DeSantis is just "I'm almost as good as Trump and people might not remember me in 6 years, so I gotta do this now."

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I look forward to never needing to think about Jeb Desantis ever again.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

As long as Trump is still in the race, running your campaign message as "Trump is great, Trump won the election in 2016 and 2020, he is being railroaded, even though I definitely think he won in 2016 and 2020 I also think he might be unelectable and you should vote for me because I am almost as great as Trump" is going to be a losing strategy.

DeSantis also doesn't really have a compelling reason to be the race or have a distinctive platform. If you asked someone to sum up DeSantis' campaign message in less than 5 words, could anyone do it? Could you get 80 out of 100 people to give you the same answer when you asked them?

Say what you will about them personally or how they ran their campaigns, but Trump, Obama, Bernie Sanders, George W. Bush, Howard Dean, and John McCain all had very clear messages and narratives around why they were running to be President.

DeSantis is just "I'm almost as good as Trump and people might not remember me in 6 years, so I gotta do this now."

Less than five? Maybe not. Less than 15, definitely.

H.R. Hufflepuff fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 26, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

To be fair as long as Trump is in the race the only message that is going to win the GOP nomination is “I am Donald Trump.” He more or less has the incumbency advantage in a unique way.

If we want to be… charitable I guess? it’s possible that a large part of him pushing the “stolen election” narrative was as much to do about maintaining that advantage as it was actually trying to reverse anything. I’m not sure I would go that far, but it’s an interesting thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

If you asked someone to sum up DeSantis' campaign message in less than 5 words, could anyone do it? Could you get 80 out of 100 people to give you the same answer when you asked them?

Something along the lines of "Florida is Doing Great!"