Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Desantis's campaign message is "I'm a republican, not Trump"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
DeSantis's campaign is the "liberals liberals liberals" cartoon, only with "woke woke woke" instead.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Trump's 2nd Term, No Trump.

Or

Become Florida, Or Else...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
people make cracks about states like Ohio or Jersey but goddam, becoming more like Florida sounds downright ominous, even from a fellow lovely red state

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

people make cracks about states like Ohio or Jersey but goddam, becoming more like Florida sounds downright ominous, even from a fellow lovely red state

Agreed. As a resident I can tell you that the state (or at least where I live) is getting dumber, meaner and less affordable but, in conservative ideology, is held up as a shining beacon of Freedom because they stayed open for business during Covid and only 89,000 people died.

The worst thing happening here, that's especially related to the free market, is that pretty soon it will become impossible to insure a home, and not just on the coast. Which is gonna get real weird legally when mortgage owners are required by law to have it but no company in the country will offer it. I'm wondering what happens then? My understanding is that the bank just buys it somewhere for you but that doesn't sound too great and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it will be just a tad expensive.

DeSantis is doing jack poo poo about it (too busy fighting Disney and schools) and I'm not sure what can be done short of some kind of non profit/public option model but that's a non starter for the free market conservatives here.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Florida is going to become physically unlivable, half underwater and the rest envying the drowned, possibly in our lifetimes. The only thing worth planning for long-term is resettlement.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. As a resident I can tell you that the state (or at least where I live) is getting dumber, meaner and less affordable but, in conservative ideology, is held up as a shining beacon of Freedom because they stayed open for business during Covid and only 89,000 people died.

The worst thing happening here, that's especially related to the free market, is that pretty soon it will become impossible to insure a home, and not just on the coast. Which is gonna get real weird legally when mortgage owners are required by law to have it but no company in the country will offer it. I'm wondering what happens then? My understanding is that the bank just buys it somewhere for you but that doesn't sound too great and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it will be just a tad expensive.

DeSantis is doing jack poo poo about it (too busy fighting Disney and schools) and I'm not sure what can be done short of some kind of non profit/public option model but that's a non starter for the free market conservatives here.

Also it bears reminding everyone that DeSantis literally covered up COVID death numbers including imprisoning people who tried to accurately report them, so is that 89,000 number even real?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BiggerBoat posted:

There already is a non-profit/public insurer in Florida, but it is only available if you can't get a policy from anyone else. FEMA redid their flood insurance policies in 2021 to stop fully subsidizing people who build in flood zones and make claims every 3 years, so now the Florida state fund is slowly on track for bankruptcy because the state government knows it is a losing battle and doesn't want to raise taxes to dump in there. Going to be interesting to see how that looks in 15 years.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ron DeSantis and Rick Perry are the most bizarrely successful politicians who can win elections in huge states, raise millions of dollars, and convince other people that they should vote for them/not run against them, but apparently completely melt down as soon as they leave their state.

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1684690327750254592

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ron DeSantis and Rick Perry are the most bizarrely successful politicians who can win elections in huge states, raise millions of dollars, and convince other people that they should vote for them/not run against them, but apparently completely melt down as soon as they leave their state.

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1684690327750254592

Not knowing what an ICEE is should disqualify him from Florida office let alone president

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

It's nice to know that floridians notice that. We go over to Pensacola area a lot both for work and to just chill in some non-swamp beaches. And it's crazy how people just... become floridian when you get past Biloxi and Mobile. I don't like making judgements based on what state someone is in, but something is rotten in the state of Florida. Different from the standard deep south vibes. I guess there's a reason it has given us a lot of our cartooniest GOP politicians in recent years. And I'm counting Trump there, Queens by birth but floridian at heart. Mean and dumb is a good descriptor.

If we must elect a president from this gator-infested hell we call the gulf coast, I nominate the mouldering bones of Huey Long, last decent guy we produced.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Angry_Ed posted:

Also it bears reminding everyone that DeSantis literally covered up COVID death numbers including imprisoning people who tried to accurately report them, so is that 89,000 number even real?

I mean Desantis is bad on covid because he's a leader in making vaccines a culture war issue. He's (partly) responsible for a large fraction of 2021 and later covid deaths even in blue states, in a way that several other Republican governors who also did nothing to mitigate covid aren't.

I don't know how much there is with the dashboard stuff, Desantis clearly behaved badly but Rebekah Jones is a grifter and it's not like Florida's reported covid deaths are particularly low.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

As long as Trump is still in the race, running your campaign message as "Trump is great, Trump won the election in 2016 and 2020, he is being railroaded, even though I definitely think he won in 2016 and 2020 I also think he might be unelectable and you should vote for me because I am almost as great as Trump" is going to be a losing strategy.

DeSantis also doesn't really have a compelling reason to be the race or have a distinctive platform. If you asked someone to sum up DeSantis' campaign message in less than 5 words, could anyone do it? Could you get 80 out of 100 people to give you the same answer when you asked them?

Say what you will about them personally or how they ran their campaigns, but Trump, Obama, Bernie Sanders, George W. Bush, Howard Dean, and John McCain all had very clear messages and narratives around why they were running to be President.

DeSantis is just "I'm almost as good as Trump and people might not remember me in 6 years, so I gotta do this now."

A noun, a verb, and woke. Thats 6 words but close enough.

Edit: He's running a hard right campaign with his "war on woke" taking on cultural issues and positioning himself to the right of Trump. He's also positioning or trying to position himself with the nazi right wingers with his weird internet videos. I feel like his campaign is basically conservative culture personified.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 28, 2023

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

BiggerBoat posted:

This is what I worry about, I'm in Pensacola and my rates for a home built in 1959 is now 7800 a year. I'm lucky I bought this house when prices were low, I couldn't fathom paying 300K and up to live in this horrible state.

The state is getting worse because a lot of boomers are moving down here from other areas, driving prices through the roof and adding to an already dense conservative mind set.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just a ridiculous strategy

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1685210358770712576

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

There already is a non-profit/public insurer in Florida, but it is only available if you can't get a policy from anyone else. FEMA redid their flood insurance policies in 2021 to stop fully subsidizing people who build in flood zones and make claims every 3 years, so now the Florida state fund is slowly on track for bankruptcy because the state government knows it is a losing battle and doesn't want to raise taxes to dump in there. Going to be interesting to see how that looks in 15 years.

That's correct. It's means tested or something close where you can only get it if competing policies are 30% or above the subsidized rate. My uneducated guess is that the insurance companies that do insure will just quote that rate. And 30% is pretty high.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

It's because there's no local media anywhere anymore, so the bar is subterranean for state level politicians. They never actually face a grilling, or quite often voters. Even in Texas or Florida. It's the exact same situation that led to Sarah Palin - as soon as there's scrutiny they're revealed to not be able to stand up to it, but they've never actually been scrutinized before.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

This seems like a loser strategy from a campaign desperately trying to make something happen. Harris isn't even all that visible in public. Also, at some point you have to OFFER something to the American public.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I mean Desantis' staffers are all groypers and his campaign is at war with the five black Republicans in congress over whether slavery was actually good. It's not mysterious why he's trying to run against Harris.

(not that it'll work)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm not sure doubling down on vendettas against black people is a nationally winning strategy, Ron.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
DeSantis seems to be running a winning strategy for Harris.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
EDIT: misread a chart, disregard

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 30, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It’s so painful

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1685258208586223618?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Patrick Bateman-rear end candidate

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That's a pretty good "terminate smile.exe" right as he walks away :mitt:

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

DeSantis seems to be running a winning strategy for Harris.
Sounds like a very strategic aim at getting the VP nom

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

SithDrummer posted:

Sounds like a very strategic aim at getting the VP nom

He might be thinking along those lines, but it won't work. Trump is the most childishly petty rear end in a top hat ever to live and will never forgive DeSantis for daring to challenge him. At absolute best, he'd end up this cycle's Chris Christie, turned into an errand boy and humiliated at every opportunity until he quits.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he's not thinking along those lines at all lol

besides being mortal enemies and a personality clash, a trump/desantis ticket would forfeit electoral votes from florida

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah Harris is just the natural foil for Desantis’s anti-woke agenda. It’s much more natural for him to attack a black woman with a name he can intentionally mispronounce than a white man. And it’s clear to his would be supporters what it’s really about.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Giving me Clint Eastwood RNC empty chair vibes.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Video is painful but still technically fulfills the 'candidate you can have a beer with' requirement.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A candidate it is physically possible to have a beer with.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
shithead makes Larry David look like a smooth operator

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A candidate it is physically possible to have a beer with.

I have a beer within close proximity of a being called Ron DeSantis, politician.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

We sure this isn’t just a right wing grift?

https://twitter.com/jstein_wapo/status/1686044267704160257?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Extreme Jeb energy from DeSantis:

quote:

For $1, New Hampshire voters were invited to drink beer with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Saturday in Concord.

But barely more than two dozen people showed up at the New Hampshire Home Builders Association, which slashed the ticket price for the general public from $50 late in the week in order to build the crowd.

quote:

Audience Member: I'm 15 and a member of JROTC. I really want to continue my family's tradition of military service when I become an adult, but I struggle with major depressive disorder. I can't legally vote, but I --

DeSantis: It’s never stopped the other party from not letting you vote. [Laughs]

Audience Member: But, I wanted --

DeSantis: [Laughs] Go on. Go on.

Audience Member: But, I wanted to know what you would do about the military stopping people with mental health issues like me from serving. Would you change that to allow people like me to serve?

DeSantis: You know, I don't actually know the specifics of what kind of restrictions are there for people with mental health issues. I do know that the military always makes decisions like that with whatever is best for the unit in mind. Does that answer your question?

Audience Member: I guess. Thank you.

DeSantis: [Laughs] Great, Great.

quote:

Later that evening, in Osceola, an 82-year-old farmer told DeSantis that he tends fewer acres since his wife died of cancer five years ago, and asked about the candidate’s thoughts on ethanol, a corn-based renewable fuel used in cars.

DeSantis passed up an opportunity to offer sympathy, launching into a stump-speech promise to “turn back this rush to electric vehicles.”

quote:

DeSantis defended his personal touch in an interview with NBC News last week, arguing that critics are off-base when they say he has difficulty connecting.

“That hasn’t been the truth,” he said during the Iowa tour. “The truth here on this trip, we’ve gone to all these counties, people coming up to me saying, 'I’m so glad that you showed up. You know, you’re the first guy to actually show up here where people are signing up committing to caucus for us and really significant numbers in terms of the percentages of people that are showing up.'”

DeSantis said that’s a sign that his campaign is moving in the right direction.

“So we’re making big, big progress,” he said, pointing to his visits to smaller counties.

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1686179239974813696

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think desantis hit a 45% chance of winning on predictit

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
It's always a great sign to burn through so much staff so early in a campaign. Not at all humiliating!
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/08/ron-desantis-replaces-campaign-manager-00110253

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I'm not an expert but I don't think the manager is the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ron DeSantis replaces Ron DeSantis with new candidate in DeSantis campaign.