Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I hope we get a debate between Trump and Christie and it's just 30 minutes of fat jokes.

I'm mostly stoked for Christie to just go full bloodsports on someone again like he did to Rubio in 2015.

It didn't help his campaign at all, but watching him just strangle Rubio's presidential dreams to death on stage is perhaps my fondest memory of that whole poo poo show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqshYG4qvT4

Caros fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Rubio isn’t even running now, right?

Let's dispense with this idea that Marco Rubio knows if he is running for president. He knows exactly what he is doing.

Rubio had one (1) cycle where he could credibly run for president, and Fat Reek torpedo'd it in glorious fashion.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Tim Scott’s girlfriend (originally titled "Why do we care whether Republican candidate Tim Scott has a girlfriend?")

An oppo campaign appears to be trying to spread media attention on the fact that Tim Scott is famously a bachelor, celibate and, until relatively recently, a virgin. This is in the added context of a much more intense and similar rumor mill around fellow SC Senator Lindsey Graham, who "everyone knows" is gay. Scott doesn't have the same sort of reputation and attributes his status to his taking his christianity and morality seriously. The oppo campaign is likely trying to generate a similar scandalous/dishonest aura around Scott.

Here's some relevant parts of a writeup I did on Scott from the 2020 election:

I keep mixing him up with Tim kaine and it is so loving confusing.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zwabu posted:

You, I and the entire world know that it's going to be "Swami".

Given how deranged the gop is getting I imagine if push comes to shove trump will just drop a full on slur.

I have to say, I know Chris Christie is a ghoul but I genuinely love seeing him just total people on the debate stage. It gives me fond memories of the end of Rubio.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I think it says something that I, a relative political nerd, did not realize it was the Iowa caucus day.

2016 had people writing Les mis songs about the gop clown car (We'll be ready for these closers, they're low energy. Vote trump!) and this thread has a loving tumbleweed blowing through it.

I'm sure this is fine though, totally going to see Haley with the surprise victory.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Queering Wheel posted:

:lol: Hutchinson not even registering

No, that is a negative percent.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gyges posted:

Pudding Fingers and Lost Cause won't drop out until their billionaire backers stop writing checks. They're both in it for the Trump stops running Powerball.

I assume you mean the Trump's heart stops beating Powerball.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Bigger chunk of results now in:

Hutchinson at 0.1%, much better than the projected -9%, and also massively outperforming Christie

Vivek Vivek, it rhymes with 7.8‰, and soon to drop for a VP nod he probably won't get.

Catchy.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Imagine spending months in Iowa only to pull 4th place ahead of a few guys that dropped out and one that I am pretty sure is made up. The gently caress is an Asa?

Caros
May 14, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Ron and Vivek's "I'm Great Value-brand Trump" pitch might have been a lot more successful if name-brand, full-sugar Trump Classic wasn't already available right across the aisle

This really is it.

I suspect all the diet Trump's and the trump max's were pretty much relying on him kneeling over or being in prison. The goal was to be the torch bearer for his movement when he fell.

But since he made it to the primary the best they get is the VP nod for Vivek and real doll reek for desantis.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So apparently Desantis last minute cancelled a bunch of his time on the Sunday shows?

Things aren't looking great for ol Ronny d.

https://twitter.com/jeffstorobinsky/status/1748884288395710949?t=94VLprpdTMQVIszXcf2TwQ&s=19

Caros
May 14, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I think even Haley herself doesn't expect to get the nomination at this point, but she's doing well enough that she can justify staying in the race, boosting her profile and becoming the darling of whatever's left of the old GOP establishment.

I have to be honest though, if you told me in 2020 that Nikki Hayley would be the only meaningful republican challenger I'd have asked you 'Who?' followed by 'Huh?'

Caros
May 14, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I know this isn't a novel observation, but it's a fine line to tread, distancing yourself from Trump, but not his massive base, and I think she's done a decent job of it. At least compared to charisma black hole DeSantis

I was legitimately concerned about Desantis back in early 2021 just because he was pushing as all the fascism, none of the stupidity.

To see him fold up in upon himself like some sort of 4th dimensional object of null charisma has been one of the only real political joys of this last year.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I grew up in a Wisconsin family, where both sides have alcohol as a chosen vice, and we were all shocked at the sheer amount of booze my alcoholic aunt was going through once her problem got too bad to hide any longer. Like, even with our standards, it was hosed up. Thankfully she's sober now, because yeesh, it was not something that would have lasted long.

My dad was the same way. You see him drink a beer or two and don't think anything of it. Because you don't know he had four at the bar before he came home, and some whiskey, and...

I have no doubt he would be dead now if not for my mom forcing him into rehab and his taking very, very well to AA.

My grandma on my mom's side got caught a lot with her drinking, and they take all her liquor. She started cooking vinyl records to get high and predictably died of the sort of cancer one gets from inhaling melted plastic.

Addiction is brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

daslog posted:

Haley lost the Nevada Primary to "None of the above?"

I guess that's a wrap then?

Nikki Haley went to the Oracle of Delphi and asked "If I run for President, who can defeat me?" and the Oracle responded "if you run for President, None of These Candidates will defeat you."

Caros fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 8, 2024