Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It’s so painful

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1685258208586223618?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

We sure this isn’t just a right wing grift?

https://twitter.com/jstein_wapo/status/1686044267704160257?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Desantis reminds me of a much less put together and powerful Homelander.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

skeleton warrior posted:

He's Nixon without the charm.

Nixon was a political genius, just ruthless and a psychiatric case study. He was also very funny.

If he’d been born to a wealthy democratic family in New England we’d be on earth 2 by now.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I believe that Christie can be the one to publicly point out trump wears Spanx.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Does Nixon ever strike anyone as a true believer? All I've ever figured is that if he had, like above poster said, been born to a democratic political family, he'd been a Mega Democrat crushing republicans well into the eighties.

Difficult to tell because by 68 the drinking had really taken its toll. There are definitely things be cared a lot about, mainly foreign policy and football. Domestic issues to him were just a way to shore up political support so he could do his little machinations. Obviously he could be ruthless in FP negotiations but going to China was quite the move.

Be interesting if he hadn’t been septic during that television debate and managed to best Kennedy in 60.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

when does he announce he’s primarying Rick Scott?

https://twitter.com/jonallendc/status/1697264842321641639?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

The above discussion is tied to the underlying shittiness of pharma; getting a drug to market requires (legitimate, necessary) massive regulatory and scientific expense, and individual drug patents create a massive boom-or-bust reward structure. It's like a lottery where the jackpot is in the rage of 50 billion, but each ticket is 10 million- and that's if your company's doing everything by the book. If you can find a way to make a ticket cheaper, or get someone else to pay, or get more payments from a winning ticket...

This creates especially strong incentives for a) deregulatory pressure, b) slimy financial practices to deflect risk and speculate on "winners", and c) evading regulations. These all feed into each other, especially the intersection of a) and b), which keep producing new forms of slimy efforts to undermine drug approvals, building upon previous successful deregulatory efforts.

I dream of the day that we recover from and reverse the court decisions that blocked FDA from regulating prescription practices and normalized offlabeling. I have no idea how we get there; we've created a knowledge deficit to the tune of trillions.

At a neurologist conference a couple years ago one of the best parts was a research neurologist from Wake Forest just going through the approval process for Aducanumab .

At the end of the day it only works for 1/3rd of patients, for them it's less effective than the oral generic drug donepezil (which is itself not very effective), and another third of patients suffered swelling of their brain. But the process leading up to that was hysterical and corrupt and it turns out possibly based on forged data.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

also biden and trump both have access to the best physicians money can buy
american healthcare is only poo poo if you're poor

People always say things like this but in reality it doesn't matter at all. Mitch McConnell has access to the same doctors, but there's nothing they can do about his TIAs because he's too much of a fall risk to be on anticoagulants.

Biden is going to wake up confused in the middle of the night, slip on the way to the bathroom, break ribs and die of pneumonia. There will be nothing doctors can do.

Trump is going to have a stroke/heart attack because he's addicted to amphetamines and he has sleep apnea. There will be nothing doctors can do.

"Having the best physicians" is really great if you have a rare cancer, or you need some tumor cut out of your brain. but for both these guys they're (most likely) not on any complex medications. Biden probably wouldn't have survived the aneurism, sure, but trump has been relatively healthy his whole life and doesn't drink or smoke. Biggest bullet Trump dodged was neurosyphillis or HIV.

Both of these guys' tickets are punched, it's just a matter of time, and no amount of screens or extra scans or bloodwork is going to stop it. The thing that's going to kill you? You're doing it right now. posting on somethingawful

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

It really sucks being in the Boston market during primary season, because since the entirety of New Hampshire lives on the border to mass and just leaches off the boston market we get inundated with New hampshire primary ads.

So while watching football today first I got 3 separate commercials in the Haley - DeSantis fight.

Nikki Haley is actually weak on China, she gave some company land 5 miles away from an army base

Ron DeSantis is a sad crying baby. he doesn't want to protect america, unlike Nikki who will defeat China.

Nikki Haley wants to weaken the border so Hamas can infiltrate with a million MS-13 super soldiers.

Oh please. I live twenty minutes from the SC border.

Your be amazed how many staged interviews random people give about how the rest of the field needs to drop out and rally behind her.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jesus III posted:

I was nearly 40 when I first started using social media. I think there is way more to it than "olds are dumb*. Making generalizations about whole groups of people doesn't help

Yeah but you grew up in a media and data environment that prepared you for it and you had at least a few years of SA posting in you before things went nuts in the early 2010s so you were at least familiar with how to sift through information.

There is absolutely a point when our brains begin to lose the ability to process and apply new information. It generally occurs in a persons late fifties or early sixties, depending on a lot of factors. And for a bunch of neurocognitive developmental reasons, when this happens people don’t reexamine their abilities but look for things that reinforce their existing beliefs. Imagine every middle manager in their late fifties for example.

When social media went huge, the cohort that was in their mid fifties and upward absolutely could not process what was happening and its one of the main factors that drove radicalization among the white conservatives. It was the single most revolutionary and impactful event in human cognitive history and it happened in a blink of an eye.

Add on to that social media allowed people to isolate in echo chambers and there you have it. They don’t even have to pretend to process differing opinions.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Let's not guess.

In 2016:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-mythology-of-trumps-working-class-support/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/06/05/its-time-to-bust-the-myth-most-trump-voters-were-not-working-class/

Trump's base of support is not the "working class." His base of support is affluent, elderly white people. Boomers. When a Trump voter is "uneducated" they're "uneducated" because they're a boomer who had a whole career off of a high-school diploma.

Trump is Boomer Dominated Culture's last gasp before they shed their mortal coil.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Inferior Third Season posted:

People also underestimate low probability events.

According to the Social Security Administration's actuarial table, 77-year-old Trump has a 4.9% chance of dying before the inauguration in one year, and 81-year-old Biden has a 7.1% chance. The odds of at least one of them dying before the inauguration is 11.8%. We can estimate about an 8% chance of one of them dying before the election. A low probability event, but not incredibly low. There is less chance of flipping a coin heads four times in a row than one of them dying before the election.

Biden has a lower life expectancy compared to his cohort due to multiple CVAs.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I know Donald’s a teetotaler but he’s sure as poo poo on some drug cocktail that’s not what a doctor would prescribe a normal fat grandpa

He’s on the normal DC regimen of adderall (or something similar) and ambien. Would explain his wild ups and downs, delirious late night tweeting, chronic congestion etc

PT6A posted:

Indeed. I'd also say, it's an eye-opening experience to see someone who abuses alcohol, versus an alcoholic. You're concerned about the former; the latter will fall off a loving chair, split their lip on the table, go to vomit, and come back to crack another beer whilst still bleeding. That's not to say alcohol abuse is good, just that it's qualitatively different from addiction.

There’s no qualitative difference between someone who “abuses” alcohol (binge drinking disorder I guess?) and someone with alcohol use disorder. We don’t use the term “alcoholic” anymore, just like we don’t use the term “consumptive.” It’s dehumanizing and linguistically and passively gives someone an excuse to not care about them. The diagnostic criteria between AUD or binge drinking disorder aren’t really meaningful clinically.

Alcohol doesn’t have the immediate destructive effects of IV drug use, but when I lecture on this I always end with alcohol because it’s the worst substance addiction of all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

I heard from someone he was expected to win by 30, so good on Haley I guess

I've been drowning in Haley stuff here in Asheville. She had to have blown out the war chest to try to win her home state.