Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Mode Should Be Played?
This poll is closed.
Mercenary Difficulty 3 9.09%
Player's Choice 14 42.42%
NINE-GEAR-CROW MUST SUFFER 16 48.48%
Total: 33 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So happy to see a Final Sacrifice reference. (Nerd moment: the hillbilly you were talking about is named "Mike Pipper")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

azren posted:

So happy to see a Final Sacrifice reference. (Nerd moment: the hillbilly you were talking about is named "Mike Pipper")

Rowsdower account spotted!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Sally posted:

lmao crow i thought you were free from planes!

crow still hasn't done assault horizon, they're not free

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
For a free copy of Assault Horizons I will let's play Assault Horizons

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

nine-gear crow posted:

Project Wingman is as much an anime as Avatar: The Last Airbender is. It's white people trying to do Japanese melodrama.
So long as we get a Toph I'm fine with this.

We do get a Toph, right?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

So long as we get a Toph I'm fine with this.

We do get a Toph, right?

Prez is already here though...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Jobbo_Fett posted:

For a free copy of Assault Horizons I will let's play Assault Horizons

I'm not even sure I could, namco pulled it from Steam. I guess I could find my 360 disc?

also, so we're all clear. I don't actually want crow to do AH. I just like posting about it :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I think I have a copy. Who knows if i'll ever play it.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Honest question - why? what's wrong with it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gun Jam posted:

Honest question - why? what's wrong with it?

It's... not good. Like at all. It plays like rear end and it just misses the mark tonally on what an Ace Combat game should be. It was, weirdly, the best-selling game in the franchise before Ace Combat 7 came along and knocked it off its questionably-won throne, but the general consensus on it was "This ain't it, chief." as evidenced by how Namco and Project ACES have gone out of their way to just bury it and pretend it largely doesn't exist anymore.

Also to clarify, Assault Horizon can't be purchased on Steam any more. If you still have a copy of it tied to your account you can still download and play it at least.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I mean not to derail this into the AH thread but it's just kinda weird. Ace Combat, a franchise built on absurd plane poo poo, trying to chase the ~realistic~ modern military game trend was just an awkward fit which led to an awkward game. There's definitely aspects to criticize, I remember crow and I talking about how even the mission pacing felt kinda weird on top of a host of other things.

on the other hand you can take an A-10 and strafe a Kirov with it, so there are advantages. Guts is still a fine wingman, though his drinking problem is an issue.

still had better multiplayer than 7 though :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 23, 2023

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
AH was the first Ace Combat on PC too, no? Helps boost your sales.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

AH was the first Ace Combat on PC too, no? Helps boost your sales.

It was, yes. First multi-platform Ace Combat in general. It helped them build Ace Combat Infinity, which helped them finance Ace Combat 7, which was also helped by what they learned from making Assault Horizon multi-platform. So in a way, Assault Horizon was the tree that fell in the forest and died so that new life could grow from its ruined corpse.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
assault horizon was not a fantastic game but it is still about ten million times better than any of the HAWX games that were chasing after it

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I did buy it, and I regretted it.

The controls were awful. It's far too dependent on that terrible DFM to shoot down enemy jets, and the second mission has you controlling a helicopter, which is just horrendous. I tried a controller, I tried mouse and keyboard, and I even pulled out my old joystick, and none of them made it in any way comfortable or intuitive.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I can't think of a single game that has made helicopters/VTOLs enjoyable to fly, so that probably has more to do with them being abominations against the laws of physics.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bloody Pom posted:

I can't think of a single game that has made helicopters/VTOLs enjoyable to fly, so that probably has more to do with them being abominations against the laws of physics.

https://youtu.be/NMp947hFBUg

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Saints Row 3 had some decent VTOL flight mechanics. Then they ruined it in Saints Row 4 by just giving you goddamn super powers and making vehicles completely useless by about half way through the game.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the moscow helicopter mission is actually pretty good imo, it's just that the first one is really really bad

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Saints Row 3 had some decent VTOL flight mechanics. Then they ruined it in Saints Row 4 by just giving you goddamn super powers and making vehicles completely useless by about half way through the game.

But Saints Row 4 was also a really fun game! Y'know, with the super jumps, and the recruitment missions, and yes, the game-breaking powers.

Really leaned into that "This video-game series is a power fantasy, so let the player just have fun."

Bloody Pom posted:

The Desert Strike series might well have been the highlight. Those games were so awesome.

I know, not really sims or sim-lites, but loads of fun.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
SR4 was fun because they copied most of the mechanics from Prototype, which was also fun.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
No update today due to losing power twice in one day...

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

This is one of my all-time favorite games ever and I am not a flight sim person. The soundtrack absolutely slaps. Good luck with the playthrough.

I would recommend installing the prez mod so you can have her along on every mission rather than just the ones with two-seater planes. She adds a lot to the commentary and there is some fun banter between her and the wingmen/Galaxy.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Phrosphor posted:

This is one of my all-time favorite games ever and I am not a flight sim person.

Where it works has to do witht the fact that, just like Ace Combat, PW isn't a flight sim. Its a flying shooter action game. Which seems pedantic, but browse the Steam reviews of either and you will see complaints from DCS players.

Fight sims simulate operating an aircraft
This game simulates the feeling of being a fighter pilot, and demigod of war (but I repeat myself) (according to fighter pilots)

Bloody Pom posted:

I was gonna say Eagle One Harrier Attack, but that game was bad for none-VTOL reasons. Still, it added dumb fun stuff like hovering next to another, damaged Harrier so the other pilot could jump over to you.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

There's a happy medium somewhere between too much and not enough.

Games like DCS feel like they're a little too extreme. They're not fun for loving casuals like me.

But I still want a little bit, like where there's good joystick support, and different planes feel different, not breaking the sound barrier in an A-10.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Reiterpallasch posted:

assault horizon was not a fantastic game but it is still about ten million times better than any of the HAWX games that were chasing after it

Ah yes, my area of expertise more or less. Because they're a funny clusterfuck of idea. The first one wants to be Ace Combat to a certain extent. There's hints of it here and there, but the development I believe was a bit of a mess.

Now HAWX 2 on the other hand wants to be Call of Duty Modern Warfare but with planes. You can see it so very clearly with the AC-130 gunship level. Not to mention the obviously Modern Warfare inspired plotline about a russian civil war, and at least one nuke being used. Not to mention the fact you follow multiple characters.
It is however far too overloaded with various mission gimmicks that make a lot of the missions not as fun. But it does beat out the first game by having a really good final level, including a tunnel run to destroy a missile. Which is definitely an AC staple.

Speaking of games I would like to call "Ace Combat at home" (which was pretty much what I would call a thread where I would redo HAWX and play some other games) the only other AC clone I can think of is Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters. Which was very much someone attempt at an AC clone. With rather lacklustre results.

I was doing a playthrough of this a while back, with a mod that changed the loadouts a little. But then they announced the content patch and I sorta dropped it.
And it hasn't shown up yet either. :v:

painedforever posted:

I did buy it, and I regretted it.

The controls were awful. It's far too dependent on that terrible DFM to shoot down enemy jets, and the second mission has you controlling a helicopter, which is just horrendous. I tried a controller, I tried mouse and keyboard, and I even pulled out my old joystick, and none of them made it in any way comfortable or intuitive.

The DFM really is the biggest issue in my eyes for the game, that and the terrible up close FOV. Because otherwise I did kind of enjoy it. When it wasn't forcing me to use its special mechanic. At least HAWX let the OFF mode be optional with the exception for two mission. In ACAH they really, really wanted you to use DFM as much as possible, probably to make fights more engaging. If there was a way to remove like 90% of those, and pull the FOV back to an AC7 level I think the game would work a lot better.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 30, 2023

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Wingman having two FOV sliders (one for first-person, one for third-person) is lowkey its best feature.

yes I've posted about it before and I'll probably post about it again. It's really good!!!

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Long time ago I spent many an hour being a helicopter in Comanche 4. Maybe it's nostalgia speaking, but game was very decent.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Gunship 2000 was a sacred game and I will not hear anyone slander it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Pretty sure I've played like Comanche 2 or 3 in the past. Don't remember much, other than being bad at it due to low age.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Project Wingman - Mission 04

CONTRACT DETAILS: CIF-05
Operation Water Stable
Salvemini Vineyards
46 40'22" N 119 39'44" W
Weather: Cloudy
1740 Local Time

Mission 04: Uphill, Every Way - AC 432 - February 10th

UPHILL, EVERY WAY

Task
    - Perform Close Air Support for Ground Forces

War has broken out between Cascadia and the Federation on the North American continent. After the successful conclusion of Sicario's contract with the Creole Republic, notably with the destruction of the Meilynx and its cordium cargo, their attention turned towards this new source of income, and towards the Federation's bid for access to Cordium deposits within Cascadia's territory.

With the transfer of Sicario forces into Cascadian territory, complete support is being thrown behind the defending nation against expansionist Federation troops. On the 4th of February 432, Cascadian and Sicario forces led an attack on Rowsdower AFB to reclaim territory lost at the start of the conflict, and to establish a base for the mercenary group.

Once the base for Sicario had been established, it was time to begin assisting Cascadian troops on the ground. The first such mission was in support of the WILD BOAR group, performing a tactical withdrawal in the region of the Salvemini Vineyards before it turns into a full-blown rout.

No New Entries

No New Entries

NO IMAGE FOUND

Wild Boar Regiment

The Wild Boar Regiment, aka the Wild Boar Unit, was a Cascadian Army unit, one of the few Cascadian National Guard units with combat experience pre-Cascadian Conflict. It was this experience that allowed the unit to perform better than other, less experienced Cascadian troops. Most of the regiment was veterans of the Oceanian War, including its leader, General Morgan Elizabeth, who would be part of Independence Force HQ in the war.

History

During the early months of the Cascadian Conflict, the Federation swiftly wiped out 30% of the CIF. The Wild Boar Regiment, one of their surviving battalions, was pushed all the way to the Salvemini Vineyards and came under siege, losing Firebase Graeme. The battalion, to their surprise and reluctance, was relieved by a mixed mercenary-CIF aerial reinforcement including Sicario's Hitman Team, who surprisingly and effectively broke the Federation siege. Thanks to them, Wild Boar launched a counteroffensive and thanked the mercenaries, with some of them quipping about giving the mercenaries tips.

Salvemini Vineyards

Overview

The vineyards are famous as the heart of Cascadian agriculture and winery, evident by its massive assortment of forests, mountains, and lawns. Large ponds dot much of the area, a couple Pillars of Communications towers and electrical lines give the region necessary power, and a few towns including one with a large castle are spread out. Because of the land's agriculture and environmentally friendly layout, some beehives are scattered around.

History

In AC 428, the Salvemini Vineyards won the Wine and Dine Showdown at the Khan's Castle based in the Pacific Federation, a feat they would repeat for four cumulative years until the Cascadian Conflict broke out.

During the conflict, the Cascadian Independence Force steadily took over much of the vineyards from Federation forces until their counteroffensive circa February AC 432. A large-scale battle ensued on the 10th, culminating in Cascadian victory. Over the following month, the CIF steadily regained the entire vineyards.

During the Cascadian Calamity Event, a small part of the vineyards was hit by a geothermal hotspot, causing the land to be turned into an exclusion zone. The area was subsequently abandoned by the CIF and taken over by the Federation, only to be reclaimed within a week.

N/A

The SV-37 is a single-seat strike aircraft. It is notable mostly for its ability to carry Anti-Ship Missiles.

Weapons
  • Empty
  • Anti-Ship Missiles
  • Multi-Lock Anti-Air Missiles
  • Semi-Active Anti-Air Missiles
  • Multi-Lock Anti-Ground Missiles

No New Entries

02. Contract Details
03. Selections
08. The Independence Force
32. Results

#F08 - Cascadian National Guard
Unlocked in Mission 04 - Uphill, Every Way

The main defensive force of Cascadia, its only offensive operation to date was in the Oceanian War alongside other Federation states at the time. The lessons learned in Oceania has kept the remnant of the Cascadian National Guard afloat beneath the Independence Force banner, but at the beginning of the Cascadian Conflict, its members were split into between supporting the Federation and independence. Comprised of multiple branches, the Cascadian National Guard, if it had not been divided, might've stood fairly in a defensive war against the Federation.

#W10 - Solana Communications Array

Originally a joint Federation/Cascadian telecommunications endeavor; it has since been coopted by the Federation as both a signal booster and a communications jammer throughout all of Cascadia. Hosted in the Aitor Desert, "the Devil's Sandbox" is far enough away from Independence Force units that it is relatively secure from all but the most reaching attacks.

#W11 - Dust Mother

"We were molded from dirt, by Her hand. And as we were created, so shall we return to Her. Bury us in the ash of our forefathers, and you will see us in flames." - From the Book of Fire, First Perdition

#W12 - Salvemini Vineyards

A Cascadian winery and vineyard at the heart of the country's agricultural sector. Has won the Federation-based "Wine and Dine Showdown at the Khan's Castle" for the last four years.

#P13 - Wild Boar Unit

Cascadian veterans of the Oceanian War are often beneath the Wild Boar Regiment and General Morgan Elizabeth. Cascadia's involvement in the Oceania War is ironic, especially given General Elizabeth's new position as main military commander of the Independence Force against the Federation. Among Cascadia's only warfighters with experience, the Wild Boar Unit has, in the opening days of the war, sustained itself better than other National Guard units with less veterancy.

There is un-subtitled talking between some Federation Armored Units with a familiar line...

quote:

Federation Armored Unit: Watch out, Nick, that’s a beehive you’re driving over!
Federation Armored Unit: Oh Dust Mother, not the bees! [screams]

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 1, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Title got confused:

quote:

#W12 - Solana Communications Array

A Cascadian winery and vineyard at the heart of the country's agricultural sector. Has won the Federation-based "Wine and Dine Showdown at the Khan's Castle" for the last four years.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Too much of the good stuff.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

this is my fav type of mission to watch, blowing up a ton of ground forces, but with enough enemy planes to keep you honest

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Bit of tonal whiplash between Ace Combat's anti-war messages and this game's "yay mercenaries" writing, effortlessly saving everyone's lives even while they're being mean to us.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'd say the writing in this game is uneven. I think it's the product of an Enthusiastic Fan (who happened to be a writer) with the pros and cons that entails

they do take some chances and don't adhere strictly to the ace combat formula, which is good overall -- even if some of the swings absolutely miss, not all of them do.

it's also good jobbo is posting all the pages and pages of lore they shoveled in there that isn't mission dialogue, because if nothing else someone put in a lot of work envisioning how this world operates.

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 5, 2023

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Project Wingman - Mission 05

Cut Commentary Edition

CONTRACT DETAILS: CIF-13
Operation Red Coast
Presidia
45 41'33" N 121 33'7" W
Weather: Low Fog
0730 Local Time

Mission 05: Sirens of Defeat - AC 432 - February 22nd

SIRENS OF DEFEAT

Task
    - Assist in the evacuation of Presidia

War has broken out between Cascadia and the Federation on the North American continent. After the successful conclusion of Sicario's contract with the Creole Republic, notably with the destruction of the Meilynx and its cordium cargo, their attention turned towards this new source of income, and towards the Federation's bid for access to Cordium deposits within Cascadia's territory.

With the transfer of Sicario forces into Cascadian territory, complete support is being thrown behind the defending nation against expansionist Federation troops. On the 4th of February 432, Cascadian and Sicario forces led an attack on Rowsdower AFB to reclaim territory lost at the start of the conflict, and to establish a base for the mercenary group.

Once the base for Sicario had been established, it was time to begin assisting Cascadian troops on the ground. The first such mission was in support of the WILD BOAR group, performing a tactical withdrawal in the region of the Salvemini Vineyards before it turns into a full-blown rout. After the success of this operation, Sicario Group conducted 7 other missions, currently under CLASSIFIED status. As the month of February was coming to a close, the decision to evacuate the city of Presidia was made, with Hitman Team, among others, assigned to provide top cover.

No New Entries

ChaosArgate
Callsign(s):
Sex: Unknown
Nationality: American
Signature Plane: Super Quantal Mech King Great Magnus

Enrolled in 2012, my LP blood brother has been a constant source of inspiration and fun. There's very little I can say without revealing the complete bias I have, so check out their content, such as exploring Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, blind or, if you love the world of Kamurocho and the Yakuza - there's an entire group of games that we LP'ed for your viewing pleasure. Or this one

NO IMAGE FOUND

Wild Boar Regiment

The Wild Boar Regiment, aka the Wild Boar Unit, was a Cascadian Army unit, one of the few Cascadian National Guard units with combat experience pre-Cascadian Conflict. It was this experience that allowed the unit to perform better than other, less experienced Cascadian troops. Most of the regiment was veterans of the Oceanian War, including its leader, General Morgan Elizabeth, who would be part of Independence Force HQ in the war.

History

During the early months of the Cascadian Conflict, the Federation swiftly wiped out 30% of the CIF. The Wild Boar Regiment, one of their surviving battalions, was pushed all the way to the Salvemini Vineyards and came under siege, losing Firebase Graeme. The battalion, to their surprise and reluctance, was relieved by a mixed mercenary-CIF aerial reinforcement including Sicario's Hitman Team, who surprisingly and effectively broke the Federation siege. Thanks to them, Wild Boar launched a counteroffensive and thanked the mercenaries, with some of them quipping about giving the mercenaries tips.

*NEW* On February 22, AC 432, Wild Boar participated in the evacuation of their capital Presidia, leading the effort by sabotaging transportation routes out of the city and leaving behind a number of units in the process. They ordered all units to head north and ignore the jamming by the Solana Communications Array.

Presidia

Overview

The skyline rivals even the Federation's megacities in the Core States, including Constantinople, and prominently features a red bridge spanning the entire city. The port is a large, artificial bay featuring a lot of facilities and containers, and is connected to the industrial area where a lot of economic commodities are held. There are windmills ashore; some float, and some are on land. The city is also dotted by coastal buildings where inhabitants can have a view of the Golden Ocean. Far outside of the city is a huge collection of desert gorges. The city also has an extensive sewer and underground network as well, along with a police department to maintain law and order. Its city hall contains records of all Presidian residents. Three Pillars of Communications towers are present.

History

Little is known of Presidia's early history outside of being one of Cascadia's three founding cities. It is known, however, that it was the place where Periphery states were hosted on the world stage, and where the Cascadian government distributed support to lesser states like those in the Periphery, most notably during its time as a Federation associate state.

The CIF launched the Cascadian Conflict from the capital after the Federation refused Cascadia's request to secede to cease support for its continued expansion. One month into the war, however, the Federation began sending in external reinforcements in the afternoon of February 21, taking the capital the following morning. Presidian citizens were helped by Cascadian partisans to evacuate the city or stay in shelter underground, the partisans themselves raiding the municipal hall to burn all records of their existence and avoid being tracked by the Federation or the CIF. A communications blackout and curfew was imposed as well, with the strictest penalties for any violators. During the evacuation of the capital, the CIF sabotaged roads and waterways out to isolate Federation forces inside the city and bombarded troop positions the Kornhill bomber flight. Concurrently, because of the civil war nature of the conflict, the Presidian Police Forces was split between pro- and anti-Federation elements, and were not designated enemy combatants by the Federation. Regardless, the evacuation was successful, and the Federation stationed the 1st Naval Battlegroup at the Golden Ocean on guard duty. From then on, the Federation military used the capital's ports to support its supply line into the country, in the process locking down aerial commerce from entering it.

N/A

While its mobility is mediocre in most respects (other than roll rate), it can carry a modest payload of air-to-air missiles along with a choice of bombs or Heavy Gunpods.

Weapons
  • Empty
  • High Impact Standard Missiles
  • Multi-Lock Anti-Air Missiles
  • Semi-Active Anti-Air Missiles
  • Unguided Bombs - Small
  • Unguided Bombs - Small (Triple Volley)
  • Unguided Bombs - Large
  • Heavy Gun Pods

M-PEDIA 1-1

The F/D-14 is a swing-wing interceptor.

Callsign: M-PEDIA 1-1
    Aircraft: F/D-14
    Mission: Sirens of Defeat

Notes - No information exists for this Mercenary-only aircraft on the wiki.

02. Contract Details
03. Selections
09. Calamity
32. Results

#W13 - Formation of Federation
Unlocked in Mission 05 - Sirens of Defeat

The Ring of Fire has defined human history, first by destroying it once, and now, in the AC Era, being harnessed. The Federation is a primarily Pacific-based international conglomerate of geothermal energy producer nations, formed in the last hundred years after a massive reformation meant to reconsolidate power throughout the world. It is the number one producer of geothermal energy and cordium; it maintains its production, output, and growth by bringing more and more geothermal producers within its folder, either by diplomatic means or, rarely, by force. In its early years, the Core States of the Federation came under fire by the other relevant powers of the world due to its blatant monopoly on geothermal power. Nowadays, criticism is met by embargos which often cripple entire nations.

#W14 - Presidia

The Cascadian capital city and the largest of Cascadia's founding cities, Presidia is the largest city in the north Western Hemisphere. Boasting a skyline that rivals even the Federation megacities of the Core and the far-off megatropolis of Constantinople, Presidia maintains the heart of Cascadia's existence on the world stage, and is often the connecting point between the Periphery and the broader world for many not born in a geothermal-available nation. The definition of a modern city, its ports host commerce from throughout the world, and much of Cascadia's geothermal output travels through here at some point. The Cascadian government runs Cascadia from Presidia's antiquated, renovated main fort installation, of which the city derives its namesake.

#W15 - Solstitium

Cascadia's "lost city." 2nd most powerful among Cascadia's founding cities due to its overabundance of geothermal resources and cordium. Forty years prior to the Cascadian Conflict, mishandling of a cordium shipment ignited the deposits beneath Solstitium and created the first artificially created exclusion zone in the AC Era. Thousands died, and countless more were displaced in the fallout, and the Cascadian National Guard maintains a strict security state around the border of Solstitium. Solstitium's ruling family, the Solis family, have, ever since the accident, lobbied to be allowed back into the ruins, only to be denied. Many Solis family members now run citizen militias that meant to eventually force their way back in. In the current state of war, however, they have become inadvertently among the first partisans against the Federation.

Once more, some units don't get subtitles...

quote:

Cascadian Partisan: Get to the municipal hall, we gotta torch and burn every record we can, can’t have the Feds knowing who we are.
Cascadian Partisan: Hell, I wouldn’t even want the IF to have those records, I don’t need no failed government telling me how to fight.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 8, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Don't worry, the city is plane proof, a shame you didn't cross the big red minimap line, just to see what happens then, I wonder.

This mission kinda bothers me, I felt they should have a boss squadron kick you out at the end, also messages about losses would fit in nicely.

(Also since you are on your way to CnC4 and I proposed you take a look at Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, and right now, on steam, it's at 4,60€ instead of 46€, or whatever your local currencies are, and it's probably a good moment to grab it to take a look at a different execution of a number of concepts CnC4 tried.)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SIGSEGV posted:

Don't worry, the city is plane proof, a shame you didn't cross the big red minimap line, just to see what happens then, I wonder.

This mission kinda bothers me, I felt they should have a boss squadron kick you out at the end, also messages about losses would fit in nicely.

(Also since you are on your way to CnC4 and I proposed you take a look at Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, and right now, on steam, it's at 4,60€ instead of 46€, or whatever your local currencies are, and it's probably a good moment to grab it to take a look at a different execution of a number of concepts CnC4 tried.)

I love Homeworld and how dare you think I haven't already purchased Deserts of Kharak like 7 years ago!

Also you usually just get a message saying "Hey! You're leaving the combat zone, stop that!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, I wasn't sure, and between it and CnC4, I'm sure you can see why one is a good companion LP to the other. Also, good deal for everyone else, HW:DoK is good, really good.

And I'm pretty sure going past the big wide red line made a federation fleet render and start shooting you? It's been a while since I last played but I remember something like that.