Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Problem description: After being turned off for a week, my computer will not turn on. It sat untouched for that time. Although I can’t pinpoint when it was last switched on prior to being turned off a week ago, I definitely used the power switch to turn it on roughly a month prior (other restarts may have been all windows-driven restarts). There is a decorative light by the fans that draws power and pulses rainbow while the power supply is on, and there is a small LED by the hardware power switch that is on and green.

Attempted fixes: I have opened it up to confirm that the power switch button connector is attached. I have also switched that connection with the reset button and tested that to no avail. I have also pressed the power button on the motherboard and nothing happened. I have unplugged everything except the power cable and tried the motherboard power button, again to nothing.

Recent changes: the computer itself was built a few months back, and the last addition in late April was a wifi card. I definitely turned it on with the case’s power switch after installing that and I’m fairly certain that I’ve turned it off and on since then, although that may have been through restarts in windows.

--

Operating system: Windows 11 (not sure of specific version since it isn’t powering on)

System specs: MB: ASUS PRIME Z690-A ATX D5
Intel i7-13700k
MSI 4070ti Ventus
Samsung 980 SSD (2tb)
GSkill 2x16gb ram
Corsair RM1000X
Corsair 4000D case
Asus PCE-AX3000 wifi card

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, which is what led me to try the reset switch option and trying the physical power button on the MB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Teddybear posted:

There is a decorative light by the fans that draws power and pulses rainbow while the power supply is on...

Is that a new development or was it always pulsating? If you suddenly have lights on a computer pulsating but it won't turn on it usually means that the PSU is failing and killed the motherboard/other hardware.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The pulsating lights have always been there, I think. The whole computer itself is only two months old. Right now my plan is to take it back to micro center, where I got the parts, and have them try to figure it out. I tried doing a part by part disassembly but ended up cutting myself on the CPU heat sink and couldn’t get the clip for the video card to unlatch, which I think is a sign that I should just have a professional do it.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

After having micro center look at it, they confirmed it was a bad motherboard and let me exchange it. After a rebuild, everything's working fine. So if you have similar problems: probably the motherboard!