Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

WASTED is a light hearted game parodying the Fallout series. Most of civilization is gone, and the remnants cling to life in junk towns and hovels while exploring the ruins of the great bunkers that were built to try and preserve life as the bombs dropped. Deep in the bottom of the Coolers lays the most precious thing left to human kind, Booze.

Made my Mr. Podunkian, I believe a Goon, WASTED was published by Adult Swim Games and turned up on steam many years ago. I don't know if it ever got its due popularity at launch, but it is a solidly fun game worth picking up on steam. WASTED is a first person shooter with roguelite elements of procedurally generated dungeons, permadeath, and character progression. The real draw though might just be the setting, the writing, and the experience of it all. It's a very cool little labor of love and it's just so enjoyable because it does everything right.

This is a fun and whimsical game I just wanted to show off. Recharge my creative energy, and I'll get to my next serious LP once the hangovers wear off.

You get wasted, or you get wasted trying

It seemed appropriate to make a WASTED drinking game. Starting on the third video I'll be teaching you how to make drinks that you can drink during the videos. Most of the drinks in game are puns or variations of real cocktails which I will demonstrate how to make. If you want to follow along at home you may need some way to measure your pours. I use a speed pour but those without experience may need to find a set of jiggers or other measuring method.

Our hero Preston and his side kick, Brick

The Rounds

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Who are we and how did we get here? Well those aren't really important. We start the game off with a rad yellow car, a rusty old gun, and an unquenchable thirst for some booze. Things get off to an auspicious start right away when we're mugged for everything and then locked out of the cooler. Getting wasted isn't easy.

The top level of the CA-1 is a real easy place to be. The floors are short and the lockers in the rooms are usually stocked with medistims. If you're ever really hurting for supplies you can revisit this place to stock up. However it's ease of access also means it doesn't really have anything else of value. You're not likely to find anything but the weakest raiders in here, unless like me, you commit Grand Hubris and open the wrong locked door.

Coolers are all divided up into three layers, so when I say the top layer of CA-1 I mean floors 1-3, which is the Staging Area. Floors 4-6 are the Dormitories, Floor 7 is a special place, and Floors 8-10 are the Generators. At least for CA-1, but all the coolers follow the same layering pattern.

The Dormitories are where I'd say Tutorial Land ends. While the baddies here might not be tough, they at least usually carry guns. Or suicide bombs. May even see the Rottymen, the long lost residents of CA-1 that were bathed in far too much radiation.

My Hubris from the previous floors goes unpunished and I loot the heck out of all the dorms to find one of the most essential cooler running pieces of equipment. Fanny bags! All that griping for the last three floors? A thing of the past!

Lastly we find the coolers bar and get our first taste of the sweet sweet booze that resides deeper in the cooler. They aren't the best, but they're still good! Importantly this is how we get out of a cooler without getting wasted. Well, the other kind of wasted. Back at home we can drop off and store extra items so if we do get wasted the next waster that stumbles upon our little shack won't have to start out with nothing.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 10, 2023

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
It's time to get Wasted good and proper! :toot:

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
This really is a fun, dumb little game that perfectly skewers bethesda fallout's design and writing.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Came for the booze, stayed for the fashion :allears:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I tried to play this before but it got a little too hardcore for me, the idea of dying and losing all of my progress really put me off considering how much work it takes to get back to where I was..

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Oh this is a fun one, and it'll be nice to actually see more than the early stuff cause I am uh... not great at the game

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
As a lifelong resident of Suckrimento who doesn't drink more alcohol than some dashes of bitters in soda, this is gonna be interesting to follow.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Suckrimento is already a name for the place and we aren't even finished with the apocalypse yet.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
This looks pretty interesting. I think I'll have to grab this and give it a shot myself.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tombot posted:

I tried to play this before but it got a little too hardcore for me, the idea of dying and losing all of my progress really put me off considering how much work it takes to get back to where I was..

Its been a long time since I played this but I think having a cache of backup equipment back at base in case a dive goes wrong is always a good idea.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Yeah, it's the basics of adventuring in this game, always keep a stack of items at home.

Jade finding *all three* fanny packs in *duplicates* in his first run is just galling though, drat LP'ers luck! :argh:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Well it wouldn't be a Jade LP without some weird fluke happening.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Very cool little game, and it definitely has style! I'm curious, are you able to save/resume at all in the middle of runs, or just in between them? I got into Immortal Redneck for a while when I was looking for a roguelike shooter, but it stops being a fun little game to drop into when the runs start taking an hour and a half or longer.

Also very excited for the cocktails. The paloma is looking to be my drink of the summer for the second year in a row, so I could use some inspiration.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Tombot posted:

So wait, there are NO persistent upgrades beyond stashing stuff back at home so you have a backup?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
There is one kind of persistant upgrade, you'll probably learn more in future videos. But for others getting back to where you were can be a real chore.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

After the first cooler run we can travel to the Ony Express, following the advice of that road courier we ran into down in the Cooler. Here we find several important things, like The Maul, the only place we can exchange TP for gear. Across from The Maul is the Gin and Gout our pre-cooler run destination for booze and buffs. Inside the Ony we learn what the road couriers do and what services they offer, as well as meet a few interesting characters from time to time. However my thirst for Booze was too strong and I didn't have the patience to talk to everyone right away. Moderation in everything right? So I set off to speed through the upper floors of the Cooler as fast as possible to get at that sweet Booze.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 11, 2023

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
You know, it's interesting how the art design makes for such over-large heads for the enemy - and then rewards you for shooting them in the noggin.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
One good tip i have for anyone that want to get through maps fast or want to avoid the timer, look for equipment with +Speed, i believe each point gives you something to 25-50% faster movement and extra points adds to that to a substantial degree.

At 11 Speed (which you can only really get if you do the extra mode Cooler) you'll blitz through maps at a breakneck speed, in fact i'd even say that you almost go uncontrollably fast with that many points of Speed so take as much as you feel you can handle. (if you want to have all the speed, use the Blue Ox drug and Bunny Hops hangover for maximum airtime speed and watch the world become a blur.)

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 12, 2023

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Today we meet some of the more colorful residents of Suckrimento and get a proper quest! Things may start off soft, but I intend to go hard while I expect some stiff resistance from the raiders as I penetrate deeper into the depths of the cooler before things come to a head.

...Dick joke.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
Aw, it says its still processing.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I see that cat tree behind your bar. Why is the cat not supervising you making his drinks? :catstare:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

A word of warning: check your medications before trying anything with grapefruit in it. Loads of drugs and prodrugs are metabolized by the singular enzyme CYP3A4, which is inhibited by a class of compounds called furanocoumarins. And guess what grapefruit juice has a lot of?

Grapefruit juice is a shotgun aimed by complete accident at the heart of pharmacology, and yet we didn't know about this until 1991. Oof.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Of course, if you are taking medication then drinking alchohol isn't going to help you much either. But I suppose if you want to drink a Mocktail with grapefruit juice in this still applies.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Slaan posted:

I see that cat tree behind your bar. Why is the cat not supervising you making his drinks? :catstare:

It is likely the cat is too busy getting itself trapped in the bathroom cabinet.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
I'm curious, just how nasty are the guys who come when the floor timer hits zero, and who's faction are they on?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Fearless_Decoy posted:

I'm curious, just how nasty are the guys who come when the floor timer hits zero, and who's faction are they on?

Nasty. The faction hasn't been revealed yet, but those beer goggles will be lifted by the time we reach the bottom of Cooler CA-1.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Fearless_Decoy posted:

They will absolutely murder you with ease. The big saving grace with them is they are slow, and you know they are coming. If you're really worried about them you can leave tripping hazards near the start point of a floor and that will likely break the purifiers legs making them even slower.

They can be fought, but typically the rewards for it are pretty minor compared to the risks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I like how some games basically push the player to not just try to stay and fight hard enemies that way. Subnautica also did it.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Today we meet Slab, who was separated from his wife somewhere in the dorms of the cooler and we're tasked to rescue her. This is a perfectly normal and fine quest and not at all the reason I will be multiple drinks into it before we even set foot into the cooler.

Also, you asked for cat in the drink builds, so I give you cat in the drink builds.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Flag on the play, missed floor booze. PENALTY DRINK!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I appreciated the guest star for the drink build. The unique armor from this run is also looks amazing.

Really appreciating the bartending talk, too! I'm learning lots. Like why people always look at me funny when I have a Long Island Ice Tea for "just a drink". I had no idea it was about twice as strong as other drinks.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Next time Gul Ducat is supervising you should make a Tom and Jerry. :kimchi:

just kidding that drink's a giant pain in the rear end

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Please tell me you can kill Slab, too.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Ceebees posted:

See this is why you always need the manager in the vids to keep you honest Jade

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Samovar posted:

Please tell me you can kill Slab, too.

You didn't watch the video all the way through did you? You have to kill him because he attacks you at the end .

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

You didn't watch the video all the way through did you? You have to kill him because he attacks you at the end .

Oh dang, I got interrupted and thought I had watched it all the way. Stupid, non-functioning brain!

At least I remember the cat was cute.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Ceebees posted:

Ah man, i can't believe i missed it. I guess it was cause I saw it side on instead of front on.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Slab's gun being misspelled is the perfect capstone to all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I swear this mission was a very deep cut because I recognised almost everything he mentioned, including the "Lore unfriendly Mansion".
Edit: And before anyone gets any ideas, I used to mod Skyrim all the time back in the day and I would often see stuff like this in the most popular downloads list on the nexus.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 19, 2023