Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The painting in question is likely:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks

And the letters are indeed extremely likely to be literary forgeries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Don't ruin my Ukraine headcanon.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Regardless, Peter Capaldi reading of it is always a must watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

Regardless, Peter Capaldi reading of it is always a must watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk
Really, really give this a look: Matt Berry and Peter Capaldi are absolutely the perfect cast for this.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Olesh is traveling for a bit, so updates going to be delayed. I'll try to get you guys a double pour of LP update as soon as he's back.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
No co-commentator?

Drink Water.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Truly the worst fate one could suffer in the wastes.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

We dive deeper into the cooler than we have before and find a computer that can tell us a little about what was going on when everyone was evacuated into CA-1. And then we press on into The Generators where new and tougher enemies await us, including the long aforementioned but kind of unseen S.O.B.

Also I make two Mojitos, and in hindsight I'd like to say use way more ice per glass. That's really a purely aesthetic thing, but A Mojito is only about 4 or 4.5 ounces of drink and pouring it into a highball glass that holds 8-10 ounces didn't look very good in the recording. Secondly, I'd really suggest lemon lime soda as the float. Mojito #2 got an extra dash of simple syrup and it was way, way better than Mojito #1. Still, both were tasty and it's the first time I've tried making Mojitos at home where I don't have a real workspace to make drinks.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Excuse me, Jeppson's Malört is originally Swedish. Not Icelandic. :colbert:
Also blame Chicago for it being popular.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

If you're taking requests, Jade Star, maybe I suggest the Earl Grey MarTEAni? It requires making a tea-infused gin, but it tastes bloody amazing!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

As for the Fallout Super Mutants, they were made by the The Master using the Forced Evolutionary Virus as I recall it. The master wanting an army to conquer the wasteland with.
One of the FO1 bad endings is getting dunked in FEV and becoming one.

Han Solo's blaster was based of the Mauser C96. So you were pretty close.
A Luger is however used for the base of Jyn Erso's blaster in Rogue One. The Mandalorians is based on something as wild as a Bergmann 1894 No. 1 semi-automatic pistol.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 29, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Tennessee Mule (or any mule really) must be done, or Gul Ducat will not be happy

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Most likely saving the Moscow Mule for when I find, or drink, the Pack Mule booze.

It ups your carrying capacity.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I don't personally remember the boss being that tough, you probably could have taken 'em.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
There was definitely a noticeable step-up in threat level for those floors.

This game is currently 90% off on Steam, by the way.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Yapping Eevee posted:

This game is currently 90% off on Steam, by the way.

Wasted is a fun game that if you enjoy the videos than I would recommend trying it out yourself and having a laugh. I doubt everyone will play through it 4 times like I have, but for $1.29 everyone should buy it and give it a go. It costs less than the cheapest shot at a bar.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Hey guys! Power went out yesterday so my apologies on not getting that double update over the weekend but here we are, we made it, everyone has power at their home again and hopefully everyone has some booze at home too. This is our first courier run. Courier runs play by different rules than the normal coolers. They are most definitely out to get you and death is assured. Try to grab some nice loot before death finds you, shove it in a courier box and then hold out for as long as you can. Or want. I haven't actually done a lot of courier runs before this LP and in the sake of keeping them short and sweet I didn't want to extend the run through 5+ floors of me running for my life just to run up the high score. The really deep floors get incredibly unfair and actually fighting your way through becomes a losing proposition past floor 11 or so.

In any case the courier runs are fun and great for giving floors random modifiers like piles of traps, turning the lights out, or maybe just setting the purifier timer to 15 seconds and telling you to go F yourself. Also any enemy type from any of the 4 coolers can show up in a courier run so we're going to see a few new people in there. As well as the CHIMPS, which are presumably the remains of the CHP (California Highway Patrol, traffic cops for anyone not familiar). The Chimps have a couple unique sets of armor and their armor is probably the best thing to try to bring out of a courier run if you don't already have some available to your waster.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 3, 2023

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Yeah, the CHIMPS Brutality gear is incredibly solid, not only does it make you faster, it gives you armor as well.

It's a nice set to wear if you like going * very fast*. (like me!)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Is there any point in the TP in the courier levels, or is it just related to points?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I'm not actually sure. Just as a base guess I'd say that like in many other rpg's defeating an enemy rewards you in a set amount of currency and in Wasted they just plugged regular enemies into the courier run, complete with TP drops without considering that there is no way for that TP to get back to your actual character. If it counts towards the runs score or not, no clue.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Even ill fated wastrels need to wipe on their fifteen minutes

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
By the looks of things you can get some pretty decent quality guns from there too. I also didn't see you grab any fannypacks, are there not any of those in the courier runs?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Tombot posted:

By the looks of things you can get some pretty decent quality guns from there too. I also didn't see you grab any fannypacks, are there not any of those in the courier runs?

As it turns out, they're not super-common like we'd believe after seeing him pick up six total from one run, they are in fact a bit more rare.

Also yeah, the enemies drop a lot more modded weaponry so that's nice, there's a bunch of really good mods to find in there too.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Fanny packs are usually pretty rare, and one of the few good uses for TP at The Maul.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Is it possible to get the "kill a Purifier" achievement from Cursed Courier runs? I am assuming it's not practical, because the impression I get is that you need to be pretty well established with good Hangovers and plenty of good guns to fight a Purifier and you aren't going to be able to build those up in one of these runs, but if you chose the "no Purifiers" option when you started, it's probably less hassle than starting a whole new character.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Greetings wasters! Let's make some drinks, learn a little about the land around us, and then get to the bottom of this cooler! There's bound to be the best, coldest booze down there!

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.
I think Barstown is a pun on Barstow, a city in San Bernardino County, CA/the Mojave Desert that has a Marine Corps logistics base.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think you reached the official point where I gave up. If I recall I picked the toilet thinking it would get rid of one of my bad hangovers, only for it to get rid of one of the good ones instead. At that point I decided I just wasn't having fun and the idea of getting my character killed and having to do multiple runs of the first cooler again made me decide it was a good time to stop. Regardless I am interested to see what happens next and what I was missing out on.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Tombot posted:

I think you reached the official point where I gave up. If I recall I picked the toilet thinking it would get rid of one of my bad hangovers, only for it to get rid of one of the good ones instead. At that point I decided I just wasn't having fun and the idea of getting my character killed and having to do multiple runs of the first cooler again made me decide it was a good time to stop. Regardless I am interested to see what happens next and what I was missing out on.

I brought this up in earlier videos and I'll bring it up again but WASTED sits in the weird zone where procedurally generated "roguelite" games were becoming big and popular, but lacks the metaprogression (either explicit, like Rogue Legacy, or implicit, in the sense of having a deep constantly improving gear pool that you can use to equip future characters to trivialize earlier zones) that people were coming to expect from roguelites.

I'm pretty sure I brought up historical Angband vs modern Angband play strategy at one point because it illustrates the way some people overthink WASTED - Jade's setup is basically good enough for the rest of the game. Asterisk. It is quite possible that this run continues and finishes the game without specifically grinding out coolers at any point - there's quite frankly not really a need to do it, and there's limited ability to substantially improve any aspect of his kit without grinding out runs repeatedly hoping for good booze. Stashing a bit of extra kit here and there to make spinning up your next run faster is good from an efficiency standpoint, but ultimately once you've gotten your basic kit together, repeatedly going into the early coolers, scouring the floors and killing every enemy on them is not only a bad use of your time, it opens you up to additional opportunities to run into the bad situation that gets you killed. And there's frankly better stuff in the later coolers anyways, so you'd want to spend more of your time there anyways. The correct thing to do is not grind out booze and stash gear, it's push progress forward for access to better booze and what better gear exists. Stuff like the daily Courier runs with the unique great armor is nice but by no means mandatory for success.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GVOLTT posted:

I think Barstown is a pun on Barstow, a city in San Bernardino County, CA/the Mojave Desert that has a Marine Corps logistics base.

The only reason anyone who doesn't live there knows it exists is because you have to drive through it to get to Vegas from southern California.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

It's a major logistics interchange as well for anyone in the freight industry; both I-15 (so Vegas) and I-40 (Albuquerque, how I know it) pass through there for California.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Jade Star posted:

Greetings wasters! Let's make some drinks, learn a little about the land around us, and then get to the bottom of this cooler! There's bound to be the best, coldest booze down there!

One of my buddies has been talking up negronis for years, and I just the other week got a bottle of Campari to try it. I was really not a fan. I've been meaning to try again with 1-1/3 gin, 1 sweet vermouth, and 2/3 campari but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Today we meet a new face at the Ony Express, make a prohibition era cocktail, and trek down to Sandy Crapshow to square off against the Cervezmen. I also make a really old reference that makes Olesh hate me just a little bit more, insert a mspaint dick in the work in progress commentary version of the video, and then misunderstand a reference from a dying robot.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

The grapes Olesh alluded to:

These were in one of the overworld areas of the latest expansion, and after they became a meme they had a less satisfying model patched in. But never think for a moment the FFXIV devs forget their memes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I think the robots are both referencing Y2K and Terminator.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The time travel joke was definitely about Y2K.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Materant posted:

The grapes Olesh alluded to:

These were in one of the overworld areas of the latest expansion, and after they became a meme they had a less satisfying model patched in. But never think for a moment the FFXIV devs forget their memes.

The FFXIV team is VERY MUCH aware of pop culture and memes

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

The FFXIV team is VERY MUCH aware of pop culture and memes

The twinning is a perfect example of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6tEi-6BLsw

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

The coolers get a bit more dangerous but I'm well buzzed by the time I arrive at the dormitories. Let's all make a cocktail and reminisce about how long we've known our dear friends, then make some improbable gun modifications and go cooler diving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Venturing further into the second cooler we discover more SOB on a mission, a computer belonging to a military general with some startling information about the nuclear war, and Olesh and I probably had too much to drink before this video and I maybe said some things I shouldn't have about Georgia.