Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Someone in the OSHA thread told me that they used "sandwich style" pepperoni on pizza and it works and they really love it.

And right now you're probably saying the same thing I said which was "Hey, fuckface, sandwich pepperoni is for goddamn sandwiches if it was for pizza it would be called pizza pepperoni" and you would, obviously, be 100% correct.

So we're going to settle this argument once and for all by making not one, not two, but three, or maybe even more, pepperoni pizzas because I have three different sizes of pepperoni.

Here is the pizza dough which I started last night. It is a 22 hour pizza dough recipe from something called Smitten Chicken or maybe it's Smitten Kitchen I can't remember.

Here is the pepperoni.

But it's not all smooth sailing for our little culinary experiment, there are some significant obstacles in our way:

1. I am drinking.
2. I can't remember the last time I made pizza dough, we make pizza at home all the time but my lady friend always always always makes the dough and she's out of town on a "work trip" i.e. affair, so I may just flat out gently caress it up and end up with no pizza. The likelihood of this happening is significantly increased due to #1.
3. I've seen someone I don't recognize skulking around my neighborhood. It is possible Big Pepperoni has gotten wind of our plans and has sent someone to interfere and prevent us from learning the truth.

So that's the plan. We've still got a while until the dough is ready. I will update the thread as the situation develops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Pizza is an open-faced sandwich, the sandwich slices of pepperoni are what you're supposed to use

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

Pizza is an open-faced sandwich, the sandwich slices of pepperoni are what you're supposed to use

Pizza is actually an open faced taco

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I see one of the pepperonis is unsliced. Will you be taking slice thickness into account when evaluating tastiness?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I see one of the pepperonis is unsliced. Will you be taking slice thickness into account when evaluating tastiness?

So that is part of what prompted the discussion in the first place, I like to slice my own pepperoni because I definitely like it sliced a little thicker so that it has some "chew." I think in the interest of complete fairness I will probably do half of one pizza with thin sliced small diameter and the other half thicker sliced.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
that middle meat looks like sopressata

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

bird with big dick posted:

So that is part of what prompted the discussion in the first place, I like to slice my own pepperoni because I definitely like it sliced a little thicker so that it has some "chew." I think in the interest of complete fairness I will probably do half of one pizza with thin sliced small diameter and the other half thicker sliced.

this affects edge crispness which is already compromised by the larger pep diameter.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
science demands a pepperoni diameter equal to the pizza base but the spineless italians could never deliver, hiding behind obsolete constructs like "tradition" and "edibility"

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that middle meat looks like sopressata

You're not wrong but I promise it is the uncured pepperoni from costco's antipasto platter. The soppressata is much less orange

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

We already have an interesting early development, while looking for sauce ingredients I discovered that we have a fourth pepperoni. Diameter appears to be very similar to the medium.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I love Italians. Their greatest claim to fame is Pasta, which they got from China, and Tomato sause, which they got from the Americas.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I will be using J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's New York Style Pizza Sauce

https://www.seriouseats.com/new-york-style-pizza-sauce

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I will be using J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's New York Style Pizza Sauce

https://www.seriouseats.com/new-york-style-pizza-sauce

I like that it has a fuller mouth feel. That's important to me

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

22 hour pizza dogh recipe, artisanal meats, fancy sauces, a touchscreen on a toaster

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

pepperoni better be THICCCCCCC op

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Yeah I bet :D

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

very, very important. :wink:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

the holy poopacy posted:

Smugworth posted:

Pizza is actually an open faced taco

Take it to the pencilhands thread

:sweep:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I feel like the sandwich size pepp would drag the rest of the cheese with it when you bite but I guess we’ll see.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It's more complex/involved than the sauce my ladyfriend usually makes so I'm curious to see how much it adds.

It is now simmering

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I feel like the sandwich size pepp would drag the rest of the cheese with it when you bite but I guess we’ll see.

Yeah I'm worried about that also I think maybe you gotta get it real crisp so it breaks easier?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

22 hour pizza dogh recipe, artisanal meats, fancy sauces, a touchscreen on a toaster

That's 3O, my toaster has no touch screen.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

It's more complex/involved than the sauce my ladyfriend usually makes so I'm curious to see how much it adds.

It is now simmering

spread the onion layers around the sauce

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

spread the onion layers around the sauce

According to the recipe they’re taken out after simmering so easier to just leave them halved.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Looking good, op. I personally think a combo of big peps and small peps would be best can we test that too?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

According to the recipe they’re taken out after simmering so easier to just leave them halved.

who are you gonna believe? The recipe, or some idiot on the internet?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, when I opened the thread I thought I was going to just shitpost about how I don't like pepperoni, but this actually looks really cool. Godspeed on the pizza making, OP.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Someone in the OSHA thread told me that they used "sandwich style" pepperoni on pizza and it works and they really love it.

And right now you're probably saying the same thing I said which was "Hey, fuckface, sandwich pepperoni is for goddamn sandwiches if it was for pizza it would be called pizza pepperoni" and you would, obviously, be 100% correct.

So we're going to settle this argument once and for all by making not one, not two, but three, or maybe even more, pepperoni pizzas because I have three different sizes of pepperoni.

Here is the pizza dough which I started last night. It is a 22 hour pizza dough recipe from something called Smitten Chicken or maybe it's Smitten Kitchen I can't remember.

Here is the pepperoni.

But it's not all smooth sailing for our little culinary experiment, there are some significant obstacles in our way:

1. I am drinking.
2. I can't remember the last time I made pizza dough, we make pizza at home all the time but my lady friend always always always makes the dough and she's out of town on a "work trip" i.e. affair, so I may just flat out gently caress it up and end up with no pizza. The likelihood of this happening is significantly increased due to #1.
3. I've seen someone I don't recognize skulking around my neighborhood. It is possible Big Pepperoni has gotten wind of our plans and has sent someone to interfere and prevent us from learning the truth.

So that's the plan. We've still got a while until the dough is ready. I will update the thread as the situation develops.

This is gross just buy a pizza. Like it's easy you go to one of the many pizza places and get a pizza. Did you not think of that? You should have thought of that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

This is gross just buy a pizza. Like it's easy you go to one of the many pizza places and get a pizza. Did you not think of that? You should have thought of that.

Shouldn't you be sighting in your pepper cannon or something?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

It is now simmering

:f5:

Waiting on the update. Interestingly, I make my sauce like Kenji does, except I usually dice the onion fine and fry it and leave it in. I cook the herbs and spices along with the onion and garlic in olive oil. Good sauce, OP.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

You actually want to use multiple types of pepperoni on your pizza OP. Get that sandwich pizza for the coverage, the pepperoni bits for the max flavor. And you need the smaller pepperonis that will cup up and hold grease to lubricate the pizza going in and out. Hope that helps.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Raldikuk posted:

Looking good, op. I personally think a combo of big peps and small peps would be best can we test that too?

I'm not sure we have the technology for that I'll check with our engineers and see if I can get approval from the boss though I think you've got a good idea here.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Okay, when I opened the thread I thought I was going to just shitpost about how I don't like pepperoni, but this actually looks really cool. Godspeed on the pizza making, OP.

same. thought I would trip em up with the sopressata thing, but, they know what they're talking about. Hope you're pizza is awesome op

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Don't know about your ethnic sausage OP but i need pineapple rings the diameter of a strong man's wrist

gently caress you

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
I'd probably put the diff pepperonis on a single slice of pizza and gauge whether or not the slice gets better or worse into it. Try not to get too full 'cross-referencing' different slices!

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Outside of sandwiches and pizzas, which pepperoni appeals to you right now? Who are you rooting for?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Okay I have two things to day

1. I went to my local joint and they had a pork belly and pineapple slice and I got it and it was fuckin yummy. I also got a slice of pepperone AYYYY I'M FREAKIN WALKIN HERE
2. BWBD has a female partner and lives in a house with decent countertops, I expected him to basically be a loner and his house to look like Masaokis'. Endearing as gently caress

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

10 minutes of simmering left on the sauce and then I can at least theoretically start working with the pizza dough which I am worried about being too wet.

In the meantime I've been working on some sausage and mushrooms as a control pizza if I have enough dough.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 11, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

A wet pizza dough cooks better generally, just make sure you oil up or put a lot of semolina/corn meal on the stone, just don't add any more flour now or you'll have pita bread pizza dough which sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Toxic Mental posted:

A wet pizza dough cooks better generally, just make sure you oil up or put a lot of semolina/corn meal on the stone, just don't add any more flour now or you'll have pita bread pizza dough which sucks

I'm pretty good with bread and it's the same way usually, the wetter the dough the better the bread, but bread doesn't require as much manipulation as pizza dough. Think I might use parchment paper but I actually haven't really gotten that far head thinking-wise.

Like roll it out on a lightly floured counter and then onto the parchment and add the sauce/tops and then into the oven/onto the stone? Not sure yet.